THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 06:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is Cutie?

Union Robotics must satisfy the state regulator's inspector as to their standards - That's her
- 2 (7.7%)
Marigold's old roomie from college is passing through and hopes to stay with Mar-bear
- 0 (0%)
Have you ever wondered who Claire's therapist was? We're about to learn!
- 0 (0%)
It turns out that we were all totally wrong about what Hannelore's clone-sister was like!
- 6 (23.1%)
So... Why did Jim break up with Sam's mom again?
- 1 (3.8%)
Only one other of Bubbles's unit survived, finally out of hospital, she's finally found her friend again
- 2 (7.7%)
The State Police's chief technician wants to find out what is the big deal about Union Robotics
- 0 (0%)
She may not look like it but she's Veronica Vance's replacement on the 'Net!
- 4 (15.4%)
Elliott's younger sister couldn't be more different than him!
- 7 (26.9%)
Brun wasn't the only one left destitute by the fire; meet her old boss's daughter!
- 2 (7.7%)
Other (Please specify in your comment)
- 2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3606 to 3610 (6th - 10th November 2017)  (Read 42033 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

On his Twitter feed, Jeph has been publishing sketches of a new character, a blonde woman with thick glasses and bushy eyebrows. Who might she be? There are so many things Jeph could be planning to do with a new supporting (or possibly even main) character! I tried to cover as many bases as I could but I know the limits of my imagination! Tell me what you think!

As for me, I'm conflicted: There are so many great possibilities. However, as I have put myself into the position where I must choose one, I find myself drawn to the possibilities of a sweet young PFC who didn't die because she was trapped under an overturned HUMMER; the smoke from the fuel fires screwed up her eyes but, she's alive. She remembers Bubbles but Bubbles doesn't remember her. Maybe she can bring back some memories? Or maybe she can freak out Faye by remarking that "Yeah, it makes sense! You're B's type!"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: WCDT Strips 3606 to 3610 (6th - 10th November 2017)
« Reply #1 on: 05 Nov 2017, 16:55 »

And anyone who is a Patreon supporter knows who she is...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2 on: 05 Nov 2017, 17:02 »

Yes, and anyone who isn't a Patreon supporter that successfully guesses probably deserves an award of some kind.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #3 on: 05 Nov 2017, 19:32 »

comic's up

Theory: it wasn't Beatrice, but JOHN who sent Tilly. They're both capable of such a thing, and a personal assistant seems too srtaightforwardly benevolent for Beatrice.

Also, this is a long shot, but Tlily's androgynous appearance makes me wonder if we're finally getting a non-binary QC character.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #4 on: 05 Nov 2017, 19:34 »

What comic was it where she got an assistant before?

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #5 on: 05 Nov 2017, 19:36 »

A replacement for Sweet Tits with a less sexist name.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #6 on: 05 Nov 2017, 19:40 »

My first thought was that she was an AnthroPC of a similar make to winslow. Then she was offered pancakes and accepted. Which makes that less likely to me.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #7 on: 05 Nov 2017, 19:42 »

Harriet isn't a particularly sexist name. :P

OldGoat

« Reply #8 on: 05 Nov 2017, 19:43 »

Also, this is a long shot, but Tlily's androgynous appearance makes me wonder if we're finally getting a non-binary QC character.
With all due respect to a fellow forum member, ain't NUTHIN' androgynous about Tilly's figure.  Butt like dat gonna drive Pintsize batshit.

OldGoat

« Reply #9 on: 05 Nov 2017, 19:47 »

Harriet isn't a particularly sexist name. :P
Sweet Tits is AKA Harriet?  Damn, my memory is failing.  No wonder the poor girl prefers to be known as Sweet Tits.  Not as cruel and unusual as naming your kid Abner, though.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #10 on: 05 Nov 2017, 19:51 »

She doesn't prefer it.  It's just the sobriquet bestowed upon her by Yelling Bird and that Jeph kept as a running gag for quite a while.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #11 on: 05 Nov 2017, 19:51 »

Theory: it wasn't Beatrice, but JOHN who sent Tilly. They're both capable of such a thing, and a personal assistant seems too srtaightforwardly benevolent for Beatrice.

You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. And let's be fair, Beatrice is the kind of person who would send Hanners a personal assistant, someone who can surreptitiously control Hanners for whatever reason. Personal assistants don't get coffee or do little errands, they can effectively control someone's life. And Beatrice is douchey enough to try and control Hanners.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #12 on: 05 Nov 2017, 19:54 »

After all, if Hannelore felt the need for someone to manage her schedule and keep track of things, she has Winslow already.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #13 on: 05 Nov 2017, 20:11 »

With all due respect to a fellow forum member, ain't NUTHIN' androgynous about Tilly's figure.  Butt like dat gonna drive Pintsize batshit.

Figure is not the only aspect of appearance. I'm assuming the post was more referencing their clothing and hair. Also there's all mixes of bodies, identities and expressions so androgynous can come in many forms.

As a nonbinary person with curves, I'd have some squees to get out if our new friend is nonbinary.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 05 Nov 2017, 21:46 »

comic's up

Yes, she seems too nice to work for Beatrice. 

Storel

« Reply #15 on: 05 Nov 2017, 22:46 »

comic's up

Yes, she seems too nice to work for Beatrice.

I was going to say that Beatrice seems much more meddling than John, but then I remembered the "practice boyfriend" John sent Hanners...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 05 Nov 2017, 23:21 »

The thing about Hannelore's mother is that she is utterly unselfconscious about her abuse of those beneath her. She really does consider those down the social ladder relative to her as being lesser beings. So, I fully expect that, when Hannelore finally gets through to her, Beatrice will totally shamelessly tell her that she thought it was time that her daughter had her first biological slave rather than just use her father's 'toys' in that role.

Just to maximise the emotional blackmail end of this, I'm betting that Tilly has been told that, if Hannelore doesn't want her, she's fired. So, there will be this guilt trip for Hanners and this desperate over-helpfulness on Tilly's part. This will be comedic but only in a very, very uncomfortable way.

Meanwhile, I feel a lot of empathy for Beatrice's PA in this situation because she's having to lie fluently to Hannelore. Beatrice doesn't want to talk to her until Tilly has fully integrated into Hannelore's life, making it hard to dismiss her. That means, at least for a couple of days, they'll be in the position of having to lie to Hanners consistently about her mother's whereabouts and/or activities. I've been in that position more than once and it isn't a comfortable place.
~~~~

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #17 on: 05 Nov 2017, 23:30 »

Oh, hey, another female character.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #18 on: 05 Nov 2017, 23:44 »

I already feel vaguely sorry for her.  :-D :laugh:

Squiddlywinx

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #19 on: 06 Nov 2017, 00:23 »

I just noticed that Hannelore's side buzz is symmetric. Nice.

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #20 on: 06 Nov 2017, 00:45 »

She seems nice.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #21 on: 06 Nov 2017, 01:13 »

Could it be that JJ doesn't know how to conclude what he started about Faye and Bubbles?
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #22 on: 06 Nov 2017, 01:32 »

Maybe there's nothing to conclude.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #23 on: 06 Nov 2017, 02:21 »

Could it be that JJ doesn't know how to conclude what he started about Faye and Bubbles?

It's entirely possible that you're expecting something that isn't going to happen for some time. In the case of Marten and Claire, it took a couple of RL years to go from them snuggling up after Marten's dads' wedding and Marten proposing to Claire that they enter a relationship. We aren't even at the 'snuggling together' phase with Faye and Bubbles just yet!
~~~~

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #24 on: 06 Nov 2017, 02:35 »

Um, they did snuggle. Or more like Faye snuggled up to Bubbles. Can't find it right now.

Similar to how Claire snuggled up to Marten, actually.
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2017, 03:00 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #25 on: 06 Nov 2017, 03:44 »

Um, they did snuggle. Or more like Faye snuggled up to Bubbles. Can't find it right now.
3463-3464
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #26 on: 06 Nov 2017, 04:41 »

Prediction: Tilly will try to do Hannelore's job at CoD for her, because those are her orders from Beatrice. Hijinks ensue.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

dsvella

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #27 on: 06 Nov 2017, 05:02 »

After all, if Hannelore felt the need for someone to manage her schedule and keep track of things, she has Winslow already.

Whilst I get what you are saying, I wonder what Winslow would think about being a PA. Something in my head makes is sound demeaning for an AI but that might be because I am thinking of them doing the same job as the calendar on my phone.
If Jeph ever draws full-on nudity or god help us all explicit sex, the forums will explode in a sticky, faintly bleach-smelling manner.

dutchrvl

« Reply #28 on: 06 Nov 2017, 05:30 »

While of course this could very well be a nonbinary character (as pointed out by others), at first glance it appears to indeed be a female character.

Just because of that I actually hope she/he is nonbinary, because I'd have a mild preference for any additional characters (if we even need additional I guess?) not to be female. In my list of 20 'main' characters (what I think that is), I had:

-10 female characters (Claire, Samantha, Veronica, Renee, Brun, Hannelore, Faye, Emily, Dora, Tai)
-4 female AIs (May, Momo, Bubbles, Roko)
-4 male characters (Marten, Clinton, Elliott, Jim)
-2 male AIs (Pintsize, Winslow)

Of course there are additional male characters who could become more active in the future (Dale, Steve, Sven, Will, Amir), but they are very much in the background and/or inactive ATM, as are more female characters (Marigold, Penny, Cosette, Raven).

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #29 on: 06 Nov 2017, 05:42 »

Maybe there's nothing to conclude.

Which would be another form of conclusion.

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #30 on: 06 Nov 2017, 05:50 »

I didn't really see Tilly as androgynous myself, but that's because she looks exactly like my mum (who laughed when I showed her, because it's true) :') Curious as to why she's been hired; perhaps Hannelore's mother is wanting her to aim for a more 'professional' career and has sent her an assistant as a slightly abrupt form of encouragement?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 06 Nov 2017, 06:23 »

I have to say that I do suspect a manipulative agenda on Beatrice's part. I think that she wants to prepare Hannelore for her eventual place at the company, including trying to make Hannelore more selfish, abusive and callous. Giving her a dogsbody (Tilly), who I predict is neurotic and submissive to the point where it would be difficult not to abuse her, even if you didn't want to, is the first step. It wouldn't surprise me if Tilly had other standing instructions from her boss to push Hannelore into being more like Beatrice. For example, trying to arrange emotion-free hook-ups (ideally with submissive partners whom it would be easy to abuse), to find ways in which she can abuse and exploit her friends and other ways to profit herself or just amuse herself by causing harm to others.

Dark? Yes, but this is Beatrice we're talking about. The only reason she isn't a Bond villain is because acting within the law is an easier way of gaining power without consequence than being an international terrorist.
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #32 on: 06 Nov 2017, 06:39 »

Well, regardless of which of Hanners' parents sent her/them (whichever is applicable) Tilly is adorable.

Also, Hanners bedhead!
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #33 on: 06 Nov 2017, 07:05 »

Figure is not the only aspect of appearance. I'm assuming the post was more referencing their clothing and hair. Also there's all mixes of bodies, identities and expressions so androgynous can come in many forms.

And speculating on someone's sexuality based only on perceptions/labels of their appearance is likely to get one in hot water!

Sexuality is not gender. However it is a worthwhile point that we've only just met this character so let's give them and Jeph a chance for us to get to know them.

What we can speculate on based on what we know... Does Tilly like sweet or savoury pancakes?  :-P

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #34 on: 06 Nov 2017, 08:08 »

Does everybody sleep on the belly in that comic?
« Last Edit: 06 Nov 2017, 12:20 by traroth »

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #35 on: 06 Nov 2017, 08:30 »

At first I thought she was a robot but I suppose it'd be weird for her to love pancakes so much if she was a robot (she might for the smell but I doubt it.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #36 on: 06 Nov 2017, 08:48 »

Does everybody sleeps on the belly in that comic?

No, not even Hannelore all the time: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3565

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #37 on: 06 Nov 2017, 09:48 »

Succession planning must be a real challenge for someone like Beatrice. But wouldn't it make more sense to offer her daughter a job managing some location or division?

On the other topic I am confident Jeph will come back to Bubbles's feelings for Faye.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #38 on: 06 Nov 2017, 12:04 »

RE: gender ratio

I'm reminded of a famous study on classroom participation that found that the dudes in the room thought they were getting drown out when like 30% of the hands called were women. So this comic is approaching a gender ratio that about 97% of all other media/games/stories/etc have, but on the opposite end. And there's some rumbling in the direction of wanting to "balance" the cast out.

Honestly I'm perfectly ok with how it's going and if you REALLY need a banal dude-story that much, may I direct you in the direction of just about everything else? Otherwise, broadening yall's horizons won't hurt. Enjoy the comic for being outside of what you usually see.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #39 on: 06 Nov 2017, 12:14 »

You know, I don't think this is malicious at all. I think Beatrice just feels that personal assistants are what adults have.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #40 on: 06 Nov 2017, 13:02 »

I don't think it's malicious either, just a misguided attempt to "help" Hannelore make the "right" moves in her life.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

dutchrvl

« Reply #41 on: 06 Nov 2017, 13:45 »

Honestly I'm perfectly ok with how it's going and if you REALLY need a banal dude-story that much, may I direct you in the direction of just about everything else? Otherwise, broadening yall's horizons won't hurt. Enjoy the comic for being outside of what you usually see.

This seems like it was meant as a reply to my previous message. If not, then please disregard this message, but if it is, I would like to say that I find your implying that I'd need a "banal dude-story" or that my horizon somehow needs broadening not only unwarranted, but also the tone of your comment unnecessarily combative.

I merely stated that, if Tilly is binary and female, I would prefer a male character at this point in time (e.g. a gay male?) because to me that would be more interesting than an additional female character. Note that I did not state that my enjoyment would suffer otherwise or that I needed a 'banal dude-story'?

You could have simply stated that you disagree with my preference without implying that I'm narrow-minded or need 'dude-stories', yes?

Have a nice day, and enjoy the story, whatever direction JJ is taking it in :)

OldGoat

« Reply #42 on: 06 Nov 2017, 13:54 »

Were we to consult Roko, she'd tell us to avoid focusing on one "suspect" this early in the "investigation." 

I agree, Beatrice is the likely culprit, but there are at least two other with the means and opportunity - John of course, and Station (who's probably the wealthiest of all the strip's other characters  outside of the Ellicott-Chatham human family and doesn't really need a dime of it so he's free to spend it all on larks, pranks, and other amusements).

That leaves motive.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #43 on: 06 Nov 2017, 14:28 »

<snip>
Station
<snip>
That leaves motive.

A PA is likely to spend considerable time around their employer, or whatever the correct word is in this case. I have nothing concrete to base this on other than "eh, it could happen I suppose", but what if Tilly is Station? He wanted Hannelore to stay up in space, but she didn't want to. Maybe he's found a way to come down to Earth. Tilly's drawing style looks a bit like Winslow's new chassis (aside from colouring), though that could be new character fuzziness.

I don't seriously think that's the case at all, though. Why wouldn't Station say who he really was? Why would he choose a female-looking chassis and name?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #44 on: 06 Nov 2017, 15:07 »

You know, I don't think this is malicious at all. I think Beatrice just feels that personal assistants are what adults have.

Why now, in that case?

Hannelore's been an adult for some time now.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #45 on: 06 Nov 2017, 15:17 »

While of course this could very well be a nonbinary character (as pointed out by others), at first glance it appears to indeed be a female character.

Just because of that I actually hope she/he is nonbinary, because I'd have a mild preference for any additional characters (if we even need additional I guess?) not to be female. In my list of 20 'main' characters (what I think that is), I had:

-10 female characters (Claire, Samantha, Veronica, Renee, Brun, Hannelore, Faye, Emily, Dora, Tai)
-4 female AIs (May, Momo, Bubbles, Roko)
-4 male characters (Marten, Clinton, Elliott, Jim)
-2 male AIs (Pintsize, Winslow)

Of course there are additional male characters who could become more active in the future (Dale, Steve, Sven, Will, Amir), but they are very much in the background and/or inactive ATM, as are more female characters (Marigold, Penny, Cosette, Raven).

Well Spookybot isn’t a part of the cast, but I’d classify them as non binary.

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #46 on: 06 Nov 2017, 15:25 »

RE: gender ratio

I'm reminded of a famous study on classroom participation that found that the dudes in the room thought they were getting drown out when like 30% of the hands called were women. So this comic is approaching a gender ratio that about 97% of all other media/games/stories/etc have, but on the opposite end. And there's some rumbling in the direction of wanting to "balance" the cast out.

Quoting Charlie Stross:
"The word I've heard is that women account for the majority of fiction consumed, by about a 60/40 split.

Some genre consumer bases are gendered more heavily than others. Genre romance is about 75% female consumers (but note that 25% is bought by men, and it accounts for roughly 50% of all fiction sales). "Hard SF", with its Cambellian overtones of two-fisted engineering stories, and it's spin-off, MilSF, is predominantly read by men — but it's still about a 65/35 split. Overall, SF is supposed to be about 55/45 male/female readers, and fantasy is an even split (skewing towards 75/25 once you get into paranormal romance, which started out as a subgenre within romance)."
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #47 on: 06 Nov 2017, 15:49 »

Why now, in that case?

Hannelore's been an adult for some time now.

Let's not forget that despite everything about her OCD and issues, Hanners is actually a successful adult. She had her own internet business. She's made strides in dealing with people, professionally and personally. Its not like she's hurting for money. And Hanners has proven that she can beat her mother at her own games.

This just reeks of Beatrice trying to be more controlling of her daughter, or at least an attempt to mould her into an image of herself.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #48 on: 06 Nov 2017, 17:12 »

Wild speculation: Tilly is Hannelores cousin or step sib, and this is bizarro familial bonding.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #49 on: 06 Nov 2017, 17:22 »

Is Beatrice getting intimations of mortality?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up