THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is Cutie?

Union Robotics must satisfy the state regulator's inspector as to their standards - That's her
- 2 (7.7%)
Marigold's old roomie from college is passing through and hopes to stay with Mar-bear
- 0 (0%)
Have you ever wondered who Claire's therapist was? We're about to learn!
- 0 (0%)
It turns out that we were all totally wrong about what Hannelore's clone-sister was like!
- 6 (23.1%)
So... Why did Jim break up with Sam's mom again?
- 1 (3.8%)
Only one other of Bubbles's unit survived, finally out of hospital, she's finally found her friend again
- 2 (7.7%)
The State Police's chief technician wants to find out what is the big deal about Union Robotics
- 0 (0%)
She may not look like it but she's Veronica Vance's replacement on the 'Net!
- 4 (15.4%)
Elliott's younger sister couldn't be more different than him!
- 7 (26.9%)
Brun wasn't the only one left destitute by the fire; meet her old boss's daughter!
- 2 (7.7%)
Other (Please specify in your comment)
- 2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3606 to 3610 (6th - 10th November 2017)  (Read 42007 times)

mikmaxs

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
Re: WCDT Strips 3606 to 3610 (6th - 10th November 2017)
« Reply #150 on: 09 Nov 2017, 02:31 »

I have to say, considering Hannelore's past issues, severe OCD, and general character arc, this is incredibly condescending and shitty of her mother. She's not just offering to hire a personal assistant, she's effectively forcing one on Hannelore with explicit instructions to ignore Hannelore's consent and autonomy in the situation. When considering that much of Hannelore's life has been about dealing with obstacles towards her own independence, learning to take care of herself, and gaining the skills and life experience to overcome her previous inability to function in society without assistance...
Well, even if her mother's intent had nothing to do with any of that, I completely understand why Hannelore would be furious, and am really, really hoping that this aspect of the story doesn't get ignored or brushed to the side. (Because of this, I'm also hoping that Tilly doesn't stay on as Hannelore's assistant.)
Don't mind me.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #151 on: 09 Nov 2017, 02:37 »

I have to say, considering Hannelore's past issues, severe OCD, and general character arc, this is incredibly condescending and shitty of her mother. She's not just offering to hire a personal assistant, she's effectively forcing one on Hannelore with explicit instructions to ignore Hannelore's consent and autonomy in the situation. When considering that much of Hannelore's life has been about dealing with obstacles towards her own independence, learning to take care of herself, and gaining the skills and life experience to overcome her previous inability to function in society without assistance...
Well, even if her mother's intent had nothing to do with any of that, I completely understand why Hannelore would be furious, and am really, really hoping that this aspect of the story doesn't get ignored or brushed to the side. (Because of this, I'm also hoping that Tilly doesn't stay on as Hannelore's assistant.)

Exactly. I'm not sure Beatrice Chatham is really helping Hannelore to become the heir she claims to want by scuttling Hanners' autonomy like that...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #152 on: 09 Nov 2017, 03:42 »

Some asked me why I thought she was a robot... Her way of reasoning and speaking is so cold and mechanical. Argh. It's almost infuriating.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #153 on: 09 Nov 2017, 04:11 »

To be honest, I'm starting to like Tilly. I'm going to interpret her "well, since you don't have a phone..." offer as sarcastic with a kernel of truth. She's going to go if Hanners actually calls the police, but she's determined to try and do her job until then.
her previous conversation with Hanners  (I was told to disregard evidence...) sounds as if she had exactly that conversation with Ms. Chatham (since she's actually good at her job, as far as we know, and has figured out that Hannelore doesn't need anybody from the minute she saw her schedule).
she could be a good assistant, too - pushy enough that you can't ignore her, up to date on everything, well-organised, able to improvise and a snarky sense of humor.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #154 on: 09 Nov 2017, 04:58 »

No no no. I really hope she doesn't stay on. I don't care that she was hired to stay on. She still  has autonomy and agreed to what is essentially harassing and trespassing. That isn't cool.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2017, 14:47 by snufflebottoms »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #155 on: 09 Nov 2017, 05:04 »

Well, to be fair, she was invited in, and hasn't directly been asked to leave, so I'm not sure we could call it trespassing. The way I read it, the discussion is mostly centered around "I don't need, nor want a personal assistant, so how can we make your position go away"; more a focus on the function and position, rather than on the actual person.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #156 on: 09 Nov 2017, 06:42 »

Yup. Tilly is exactly the kind of person I would be rapidly showing the door to. Tempted to not bother opening it first.

Hell, I’d just fire her.
From a cannon.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #157 on: 09 Nov 2017, 06:44 »

Yup. Tilly is exactly the kind of person I would be rapidly showing the door to. Tempted to not bother opening it first.

Hell, I’d just fire her.
From a cannon.
Into a volcano?  :-D

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #158 on: 09 Nov 2017, 06:45 »

Hell, I’d just fire her.
From a cannon.
Dammit.  you beat me to it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #159 on: 09 Nov 2017, 06:56 »

Regarding Beatrice not respecting Hannelore's autonomy and mental health, that goes back a long way.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #160 on: 09 Nov 2017, 07:31 »

Regarding Beatrice not respecting Hannelore's autonomy and mental health, that goes back a long way.

Yeah, but does she think it's going to "help" Hannelore to become as daring and ruthless as herself?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #161 on: 09 Nov 2017, 07:35 »

That's the thing, you see. I strongly suspect that Hannelore was never meant to be an individual with her own likes, dislikes, ambitions and desires. She was to be Beatrice the Younger, with the same ethics, interests, behavioural patterns and as close as possible to the same appearance of her mother. Beatrice didn't want a daughter, she wanted an heir and the two are often very different things.

I won't go in too much depth into my theory that Hanners is a genetically-modified clone and that an attempt to make her 'perfect' on a genetic level is what screwed up her neuroanatomy.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #162 on: 09 Nov 2017, 08:55 »

Hell, I’d just fire her.
From a cannon.
While strapped to a shark.  :evil:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #163 on: 09 Nov 2017, 09:05 »

Hell, I’d just fire her.
From a cannon.
While strapped to a shark.  :evil:
While the shark itself was made out of explosives.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #164 on: 09 Nov 2017, 09:14 »

Yes, precisely. Tilly is going to die in the most macho way possible. Singing "I am Woman" at the top of her lungs the whole time.

:lol:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #165 on: 09 Nov 2017, 09:23 »

To the topic "is Tilly a human or a robot?", I note she's not actually eating any pancake...

Until we know Tilly is NOT a robot...

I'm on the *is* a Robot side...

((Lurker decloaking))
I've noticed that, for all the humans in the strip, Jeph "voices" them with roundish voice-bubbles. OTOH, for the "robot" voices, he draws squared-off voice-bubbles.

So far, Jeph has drawn Tilly's voice-bubbles "round", like the human characters. So, for my money, I'll vote "human" for Tilly.

((re-engage cloak))

Oh I know...

But thats only more grist to the mill for Nexus 9... less able to tell through their speech tone.  :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #166 on: 09 Nov 2017, 10:02 »

She reminds me of the Dilbert cartoon where Dogbert recruits victims of childhood abuse for employers who found that desirable (punch line: "I've got four more in the trunk of my car").
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #167 on: 09 Nov 2017, 10:32 »

Tilly and Winslow.  I ship it!

Ironically?

I think "facetiously" is the term.  It seemed like something Tai would say.

Who is this "Cutie" that the quiz is asking about?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #168 on: 09 Nov 2017, 10:36 »

Yes, precisely. Tilly is going to die in the most macho way possible. Singing "I am Woman" at the top of her lungs the whole time.

:lol:
Afterwards she'll reappear. "I was instructed to disregard being murdered."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

« Reply #169 on: 09 Nov 2017, 10:55 »

Either this thread or the comic is going to descend into something similar to Pepe Le Pew, only without the disturbing lustful overtones.

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #170 on: 09 Nov 2017, 11:06 »

To be honest, I'm starting to like Tilly. I'm going to interpret her "well, since you don't have a phone..." offer as sarcastic with a kernel of truth. She's going to go if Hanners actually calls the police, but she's determined to try and do her job until then.
her previous conversation with Hanners  (I was told to disregard evidence...) sounds as if she had exactly that conversation with Ms. Chatham (since she's actually good at her job, as far as we know, and has figured out that Hannelore doesn't need anybody from the minute she saw her schedule).
she could be a good assistant, too - pushy enough that you can't ignore her, up to date on everything, well-organised, able to improvise and a snarky sense of humor.

I agree.  I suspect that only people who can keep their heads while those about them are losing theirs survive very long working for Beatrice, and Tilly just isn't rattled by anything that has happened so far.  (There is still time, though.  Pintsize and Bubbles live in the same building...)

In Lois McMaster Bujold's novel Diplomatic Immunity, the character Bel Thorne says to a former boss something like "My new bosses said they were impressed with the way I kept my calm during the emergency.  I didn't bother telling them that working for you has distorted my perception of what constitutes an emergency."

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #171 on: 09 Nov 2017, 12:47 »

Either this thread or the comic is going to descend into something similar to Pepe Le Pew, only without the disturbing lustful overtones.
Nah, puns, innuendo and undertones.
It's all about the Bass.
(click to show/hide)

A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Dust

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #172 on: 09 Nov 2017, 12:59 »

...I'm not sure what you're talking about here?

Tilly was invited in through the front door. She didn't sneak into the apartment. What traps would she have set off?

"Oh look, she left the door open while she's on the phone to reject my presence...  I mustbe invited in!"

Queen Bea went for the discount temp agency, it would seem, with that level of deductive reasoning. Should have just fitted one of these with caterpillar tracks, since the apparent goal is for something to follow Hannelore around with 'suggestions' while ignoring her own opinion.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

flondrix

• Curry sauce
« Reply #174 on: 09 Nov 2017, 13:37 »

In your face, darkness!  We are the light and we outnumber you!

Voter turnout was up 31% in Charlottesville, VA

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #175 on: 09 Nov 2017, 13:41 »

From Tilly's expression, I'm not sure she's being sarcastic, or even has a sense of humor, snarky or otherwise... She looks to me more like borderline autistic. This would be exactly the job requirement that Beatrice would demand, to assure that the job would be done...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #176 on: 09 Nov 2017, 15:26 »

I'm a little disturbed by all the people suggesting Tilly is neuro atypical or diagnosing disorders for her based on such limited interaction. And it's not even that it's likely accurate, or that she's bad at this job. Rather, I would say with everything shown, she's very good at the job she was given. She's been persistent but not aggressive. She has neither taken affront or even been surprised by Hannelore's reaction. From what small bit we've known of her I'd say she makes a very good assistant for someone who is temperamental and prone to lashing out to those around them. Beatrice hired her to be Hanner's assistant and told her she's not going to want this, she's going to try to get rid of her, but you don't do let her fire you. Stay with her and eventually she'll come around and see you're doing good.

And here we are. She's being helpful, she knows the history and schedule of people around her and she's being polite, respectful and absolutely deflecting every attempt Hanner has tried to get rid of her. There is nothing here that shows me she is anything other than good at the  job she was picked to do. And I predict it's going to work in the short term. Hannelore is going to cave in and go along with it until such time as she can figure out how to get rid of Tilly.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #177 on: 09 Nov 2017, 15:32 »

I wouldn't say that Tilly is neural atypical.

I would say she's certainly sharp enough to continually deflect Hanners and her efforts to get Tilly out of her apartment.

Actually I think that's what people are really picking up on, Tilly is the kind of person who doesn't take no for an answer. Its clear that Hanners doesn't want her there, she's clearly said it and suggests that Tilly's abilities might be better use elsewhere, but her efforts are repeatedly getting shot down. Which really is not a good first impression to make.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #178 on: 09 Nov 2017, 15:44 »

Actually I think that's what people are really picking up on, Tilly is the kind of person who doesn't take no for an answer. Its clear that Hanners doesn't want her there, she's clearly said it and suggests that Tilly's abilities might be better use elsewhere, but her efforts are repeatedly getting shot down. Which really is not a good first impression to make.

She's more afraid of disappointing Beatrice than upsetting Hannelore.

No, wait, it's even simpler than that: she's more afraid of Beatrice than Hannelore, period. Who wouldn't be?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #179 on: 09 Nov 2017, 16:28 »

I'm a little disturbed by all the people suggesting Tilly is neuro atypical or diagnosing disorders for her based on such limited interaction.

I'm with you here.

I mean, I get the feeling that at least in some cases it's not so much diagnosis as a fervent hope for representation. But it still comes across kind of wrong to me.

My understanding is that we should try to show the same respect to the fictional characters as we do to real people. Right?

Upon meeting someone, would you immediately begin to speculate on their sexuality, whether they are neuro-atypical, or whether they have some disorder? YMMV but that doesn't seem to me like a nice thing to do. Yet it's accepted here, I guess because this is over-analysis central.

Not upset or angry in any way, just finding it all a bit odd.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #180 on: 09 Nov 2017, 16:58 »

Exactly. I'm not sure Beatrice Chatham is really helping Hannelore to become the heir she claims to want by scuttling Hanners' autonomy like that...

It’s in character for Beatrice, but what I find odd is that she seems to have waited a few years to spring this on Hannelore.  When we last saw her she was bullying Hannelore the whole time until she finally left and since then has only been mentioned.  Maybe she gave Hannelore a few years to get “cured” and now attempting to pull her into her world.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #181 on: 09 Nov 2017, 17:18 »

My understanding is that we should try to show the same respect to the fictional characters as we do to real people. Right?

Upon meeting someone, would you immediately begin to speculate on their sexuality, whether they are neuro-atypical, or whether they have some disorder? YMMV but that doesn't seem to me like a nice thing to do. Yet it's accepted here, I guess because this is over-analysis central.

Bolding mine. That is the rule of thumb, but it can be difficult to balance with speculation.

It's good to remember when writing posts that although the characters can't see your posts, the very real people you share the forum with can and do. So try to be aware and compassionate that what can be light speculation and discussion for one person, can be a lived experience for another. Sometimes it can be both.

That doesn't mean don't post. Just something to keep in mind before you do.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #182 on: 09 Nov 2017, 19:24 »

Comic's up.

And folks, what we see here is the unstoppable force meeting the immovable object.

Who will give out first? Let the weekend debate begin!
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2017, 19:46 by Castlerook »

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #183 on: 09 Nov 2017, 20:07 »

I'm increasingly feeling sorry for both of them.  :-D :-P

mikmaxs

« Reply #184 on: 09 Nov 2017, 20:51 »

It’s in character for Beatrice, but what I find odd is that she seems to have waited a few years to spring this on Hannelore.  When we last saw her she was bullying Hannelore the whole time until she finally left and since then has only been mentioned.  Maybe she gave Hannelore a few years to get “cured” and now attempting to pull her into her world.
I mean, we all know the real reason that she waited a few years - Jeph didn't want to write or didn't think of this plotline until now.
Also, while bullying Hannelore into doing what she wants is in character for Beatrice, all historical evidence showed that Beatrice wanted Hannelore to be independent and self-sufficient, not to have someone handling everything for her. In fact, she has complained about Hannelore's father coddling her too much.
Don't mind me.

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #185 on: 09 Nov 2017, 20:52 »

I'm just looking at Tilly as one of those Larger Than Life characters that drops into the QC universe to remind us it's not 'quite' reality. We as the readers kinda have a habit of aclimitizing to the absurd after so much exposure to a certain character, that we forget the novelty of it all till the next oddball character falls into place. 

Also, has anyone considered that Beatrice is doing this out of ...guilt?

She came to some pretty hard realizations about her relationship with her daughter: She let other people raise her daughter, and took a more or less completely hands off relationship.

I could read this as her extremely heavy handed, hamfisted, meglomaniacle interpretation of making up for not being there to support her daughter for all these years.

It's a kinda twisted interpretation, but it also feels a bit more in line with how Jeph writes characters. Cartoonishly villainous as Beatrice is, she DOES have a heart beating somewhere in that black abyss of a bossom, and what little space there is in there is reserved for Hannelore at the end of the day, even if she has no idea how to express it.

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #186 on: 09 Nov 2017, 21:40 »

Plausible theory, ChipNoir. Beatrice is the sort of woman who can not picture happiness outside her lifestyle and choices, so trying to get Hannelore to take over her company from her perspective is the ultimate sign of love, twisted woman that she is.

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
« Reply #187 on: 09 Nov 2017, 22:05 »

...I'm not sure what you're talking about here?

Tilly was invited in through the front door. She didn't sneak into the apartment. What traps would she have set off?

"Oh look, she left the door open while she's on the phone to reject my presence...  I mustbe invited in!"

Queen Bea went for the discount temp agency, it would seem, with that level of deductive reasoning. Should have just fitted one of these with caterpillar tracks, since the apparent goal is for something to follow Hannelore around with 'suggestions' while ignoring her own opinion.

Did you pick that image randomly as a stock image, or is there another Sandgroper here?
I think I live about 10-15 mins from where that image was taken.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #188 on: 09 Nov 2017, 22:17 »

Also, has anyone considered that Beatrice is doing this out of ...guilt?

Ha. I can just imagine.

I haven't been there for my daughter. I'm going to do something about that right now, and I'll do it properly. I'll hire someone.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #189 on: 09 Nov 2017, 22:36 »

"Taffy"?

Right before saying you have a photographic memory?

Deliberate insult, or turning into her mother?

I wonder if we're about to find out how Hannelore got the way she is. No citation, but I seem to remember Jeph saying years ago that he knows the cause of Hannelore's mental health problems and that it's a plot point.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #190 on: 09 Nov 2017, 23:00 »

How much comic time has in fact passed? I think it might all be part of Beatrice's plan. While Hanners was still living as a complete shut in, she did get assignments from her mother. As a result, it shouldn't surprise me that she now has a very details knowledge of what goes on in ECI.
Moreover, Hanners has made tremendous progress. If her mother keeps track of that - and it seems unlikely that she shouldn't - she may well have judged the time ripe for the next step. Even with the evil master mind quirks she displays, I think that she's realistic enough to realise the limits of her daughter. Or disappointed enough, but the result is the same.
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2017, 23:07 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #191 on: 09 Nov 2017, 23:13 »

I started giggling at panel 6, I really did. Something tells me that, for Tilly, 'reorganisation' is the magical word: A large project that requires exquisite levels of organisation; something that would make her happy for hours or even days. Curiously, that makes her very similar to Twilight Sparkle but I won't follow  that up. However, this does suggest that she and Hannelore have one thing in common in their love of organising things.

Of course, all this does expose how little Beatrice really knows about Hannelore. It's hard to hire someone to take over your daughter's life when she doesn't have much of a life, mostly because her anxiety disorder makes it hard to do anything without it creating a huge chain-reaction of other things that she suddenly needs to do.

"Taffy"?

No, it simpler than that: She's reminding us that human memory tends to be associative and that, even though she's in the middle of a conversation with Tilly, she's still thinking about her mother and what she said (Tilly not really having individual existence in her head disassociated from her mother's poisonous whims). So, instead of picking up the right name, she picks up the wrong name her mother used!
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #192 on: 09 Nov 2017, 23:15 »

"Taffy"?

"Taffy" is the name that her mother told her over the phone.

Edit:

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Nice Ben, but it's simpler still.
Tilly introduced herself to Winslow, not to Hanners. So Hanners didn't forget. She just didn't know.

Edit again: looking back, I may be wrong, but heck, I'll stick with that explanation and just go with the theory that Hanners is retrieving her phone wreckage while the start of that conversation is happening.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #193 on: 09 Nov 2017, 23:17 »

Nope, check Strip 3606 again. The very second sentence Tilly said to Hannelore was introducing herself by name.
~~~~

blt

« Reply #194 on: 09 Nov 2017, 23:53 »

I can see the Taffy - Tilly thing being a recurring joke.

What made me laugh is that she doesn't skip a beat either. Probably got used to it with Beatrice.

Edit: because the font resizing code is ass
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

RomulusAug

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #195 on: 10 Nov 2017, 00:31 »

Well to be fair, she's only heard this new person's name from 2 people so far, so there's still a 50-50 chance it's actually Taffy  :-D

Joking aside, I don't see Tilly as that bad so far, she hasn't been asked to leave, and it feels like she thinks she's currently just negotiating for her job (like, it seems to her that this is Hannelore's way of saying "prove to me why I would need you", which I imagine is just the kind of hostile environment that her Mum's company would have where she would constantly need to prove her worth). I'm sure that if Hanners told her "I want you to leave" she would.

Not saying that she's not invading her space here, but just imagine the kind of hoops she has been made to jump through for years in order to qualify for the job of PA to the CEO's daughter (especially this particular CEO). Just my 2 cents  :-)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #196 on: 10 Nov 2017, 01:40 »

FWIW, I think I know how next week will go now.

Tilly, realising that there literally is not any work for her to do for Hannelore breaks down. Maybe there is a funny panel where Hannelore has to take her bravery in both hands and put an arm around her shoulder to lead her to the couch. Tilly explains the whole deal: Beatrice made it abundantly clear that she wanted Hannelore to have a PA and that Tilly was expected to make it happen, no matter what the cost. Failure would mean dismissal and Beatrice made it clear she would use her influence to see to it Tilly will be hard-pressed to get work tossing burgers in an unlicensed diner.

Feeling guilty, Hannelore decides to help her out. Even if they could fake just a week of Tilly 'working' for her, doing enough stuff to put in the status reports that she has to send to Beatrice daily, then she could probably spin her eventual 'dismissal' in a positive way. There follows an impromptu Congress of Main Characters in Marten and Faye's lounge. The preview picture from Jeph's Twitter feed that I posted earlier this week is Tilly responding to the 'to do' list that they'd put together.

Tilly should really have read the job list. There is nothing 'routine' about the main cast's idea of 'busy work'.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #197 on: 10 Nov 2017, 01:53 »

Nope, check Strip 3606 again. The very second sentence Tilly said to Hannelore was introducing herself by name.

Okay, new theory. She has a photographic memory, but her aural memory is terrible.  :lol:

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #198 on: 10 Nov 2017, 01:54 »

Tilly is like a pet dog that is desperate to help but just keeps getting under your feet.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #199 on: 10 Nov 2017, 02:22 »

By the way, Beatrice is a Chatham. John is either an Ellicott or perhaps still an Ellicott-Chatham.  Hanners and John are the ONLY Ellicott-Chathams, and I'm not even sure about John.
John's not even sure about John: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2118
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2017, 02:38 by bhtooefr »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up