THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who is Cutie?

Union Robotics must satisfy the state regulator's inspector as to their standards - That's her
- 2 (7.7%)
Marigold's old roomie from college is passing through and hopes to stay with Mar-bear
- 0 (0%)
Have you ever wondered who Claire's therapist was? We're about to learn!
- 0 (0%)
It turns out that we were all totally wrong about what Hannelore's clone-sister was like!
- 6 (23.1%)
So... Why did Jim break up with Sam's mom again?
- 1 (3.8%)
Only one other of Bubbles's unit survived, finally out of hospital, she's finally found her friend again
- 2 (7.7%)
The State Police's chief technician wants to find out what is the big deal about Union Robotics
- 0 (0%)
She may not look like it but she's Veronica Vance's replacement on the 'Net!
- 4 (15.4%)
Elliott's younger sister couldn't be more different than him!
- 7 (26.9%)
Brun wasn't the only one left destitute by the fire; meet her old boss's daughter!
- 2 (7.7%)
Other (Please specify in your comment)
- 2 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3606 to 3610 (6th - 10th November 2017)  (Read 42016 times)

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT Strips 3606 to 3610 (6th - 10th November 2017)
« Reply #200 on: 10 Nov 2017, 02:51 »

John's not even sure about John: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2118

Thank you for linking that page. Every time I re-read the space station arc it makes me laugh like an insane person.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #201 on: 10 Nov 2017, 04:02 »

John's not even sure about John: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2118

Thank you for linking that page. Every time I re-read the space station arc it makes me laugh like an insane person.

Bonus points for avatar appropriateness... :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #202 on: 10 Nov 2017, 04:51 »

My understanding is that we should try to show the same respect to the fictional characters as we do to real people. Right?

Upon meeting someone, would you immediately begin to speculate on their sexuality, whether they are neuro-atypical, or whether they have some disorder? YMMV but that doesn't seem to me like a nice thing to do. Yet it's accepted here, I guess because this is over-analysis central.

Bolding mine. That is the rule of thumb, but it can be difficult to balance with speculation.

It's good to remember when writing posts that although the characters can't see your posts, the very real people you share the forum with can and do. So try to be aware and compassionate that what can be light speculation and discussion for one person, can be a lived experience for another. Sometimes it can be both.

That doesn't mean don't post. Just something to keep in mind before you do.

Damn, you're right! I just saw the repercussion of my last post and,Rereading it, I found it a bit of a stretch, too. Didn't mean to be rude, I was just overanalising...

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #203 on: 10 Nov 2017, 05:53 »

Presumably it's just the effect of her strong glasses, but Tilly's pinpoint pupils are a little disturbing...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

TheEvilDog

« Reply #204 on: 10 Nov 2017, 07:19 »

You know, reading through the comic again, its kind of heartbreaking to hear how much Hanners cuts herself off from the rest of the world.

tustin2121

• Plantmonster
« Reply #205 on: 10 Nov 2017, 08:09 »

My understanding is that we should try to show the same respect to the fictional characters as we do to real people. Right?

Upon meeting someone, would you immediately begin to speculate on their sexuality, whether they are neuro-atypical, or whether they have some disorder? YMMV but that doesn't seem to me like a nice thing to do. Yet it's accepted here, I guess because this is over-analysis central.

Not upset or angry in any way, just finding it all a bit odd.

I think it's less that we're over-analyzing it (though we are), and more that we're literally getting, every day, a less-than-a-minute snapshot in time to look over for an entire day. There are crass judgements about people we meet that pop into our heads upon first impression that mellow, tweak, and reform as we get more information to supplement our first impression over the next few minutes and hours. But in comic form, that first impression takes days to supplement with more than what would normally be a few seconds worth of information.

On Monday, we had only the first impression of Tilly to work with: she showed up, looking as she does in her round glasses and shirt-pocket button down, says she's Hanner's personal assistant now, and that she likes pancakes. That's all we had to work with, and so people over analyzed her look and her speech and speculated solely on our first impressions without giving the character any chance. We'd probably be having a vastly different conversation had all five of this week's strips been dropped on us at once.

So, I guess I'm basically blaming our over-analysis and rude generalizations on the strip-a-day format of the thing, which is simultaneously decently fast and way too slow. It's like how I binged through the Bubbles' memory story-arc a few weeks ago and got a vastly different impression of the story than basically everyone in these weekly discussion threads (when I went through and read what all was written about it later).

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #206 on: 10 Nov 2017, 08:36 »

You know, reading through the comic again, its kind of heartbreaking to hear how much Hanners cuts herself off from the rest of the world.

Is it? There are a growing number of people (including the original creators) who think Twitter and Facebook may be bad for humanity, due to all the abuses so easily perpetrated through them. And remember, Hanners may not tweet or post on a Facebook wall, but she does have real-life, off-line friends (well, real within the comic anyway  :wink:), friends who look out for her and truly care for her.

And I can understand her outlook about shopping too. Buying stuff other than the absolute essentials means you've got to find a place for that stuff, and maybe find a way to get rid of other stuff the new stuff may replace or you now have no room for (getting rid of old unwanted stuff isn't always as simple as putting it out in the trash, especially in neighborhoods that recycle or where the trash pickup people are picky about what they pick up for trash). Also more stuff means more stuff to take care of and clean and secure...I understand her minimalist outlook, and if I were single I'd live by it as well.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #207 on: 10 Nov 2017, 13:16 »

Deliberate insult, or turning into her mother?
Why can't it be both? :)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #208 on: 10 Nov 2017, 13:17 »

My theory is that Tilly is Lawful Evil, just like Beatrice.

thedevilissix

• Furry furrier
« Reply #209 on: 10 Nov 2017, 15:10 »

Tilly should just be Winslow's PA whilst he builds a psychiatry empire. :angel: :evil:

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #210 on: 10 Nov 2017, 15:18 »

Or band manager for Deathmřle.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #211 on: 10 Nov 2017, 16:00 »

I think it's less that we're over-analyzing it (though we are), and more that we're literally getting, every day, a less-than-a-minute snapshot in time to look over for an entire day. There are crass judgements about people we meet that pop into our heads upon first impression that mellow, tweak, and reform as we get more information to supplement our first impression over the next few minutes and hours. But in comic form, that first impression takes days to supplement with more than what would normally be a few seconds worth of information.

Yes, I think you're right about this. It's almost inevitable, come to think of it, that we'd react differently to a static picture that can be absorbed minutely than a moment whose details - unless you're one of those Hanners types with an (allegedly :wink:) photographic memory - will largely be forgotten, where we are simply left with our immediate impression.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Moggie

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #212 on: 11 Nov 2017, 03:57 »

<snip>
Seriously,  every one of the 'droids in the cast displays more ability to think autonomously than she has some far.  I see an arc about freeing her mind from B E-C'so grip.  Maybe Spookybot can expel Beatrice from Tilly's head like Sauruman from Theoden's.  Imagine Beatrix landing on her arse and sliding backwards across her office floor.
<snip>
Spookybot vs. Beatrice? I'm not sure the world will survive that  :-o

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #213 on: 11 Nov 2017, 09:31 »

Welcome, new person!

Indeed the "collateral damage" in that war is too horrible to think about.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Moggie

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #214 on: 11 Nov 2017, 11:23 »

Thankies  :-). Not so new,  I used to have an account on the old forums donkey's years ago but went on to a hiatus then. Now I'm back.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #215 on: 11 Nov 2017, 11:48 »

It's changed a lot. If you'd like to catch up with the old crowd, they've moved a few times and I've lost track of them but someone here will know.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Wagimawr

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Facebook
« Reply #216 on: 12 Nov 2017, 18:38 »

Lends itself to an interesting idea.

What if Tilly is too good at her job? The only way Beatrice could get rid of her was shuffling her off on her own daughter.

Reminds me of some old cartoon dynamics; trying to remove someone and they keep just walking back in the door.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #217 on: 12 Nov 2017, 22:13 »

Lends itself to an interesting idea.

What if Tilly is too good at her job? The only way Beatrice could get rid of her was shuffling her off on her own daughter.

Reminds me of some old cartoon dynamics; trying to remove someone and they keep just walking back in the door.
"But the cat came back the very next day...."

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #218 on: 13 Nov 2017, 01:46 »

I'm also reminded of an arc in Dumbing of Age, that was particularly ugly.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up