THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone on Mastodon?  (Read 18680 times)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
Anyone on Mastodon?
« on: 11 Nov 2017, 06:18 »

I decided to try out Mastodon, after some revelations about Twitter management.

I'm at @[email protected] (decided not to run my own instance) if anyone wants to follow.

Also, Jeph's apparently got a mastodon account on the same instance - @[email protected] - although he hasn't used it for months.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
Re: Anyone on Mastodon?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2017, 11:38 »

I'm on an instance focused on the German hackerscene: @[email protected]. However I'm usually writing in German. I might switch to English, if more international people started following me.

I had an account on mastodon.social, but that instance was completely overrun and really slow at the time.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2017, 11:10 »

@[email protected], though I doubt I'll be using it much for now. But the handle is mine, and you can't have it! Muahahahaha!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2017, 11:36 »

FYI, mastodon.social is being overwhelmed with traffic lately, and the admin is advising new people that haven't signed up for an instance to go to https://joinmastodon.org/ and find an instance that suits them from there.

He also suggested octodon.social, toot.cat, and toot.cafe as specific other instances.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2017, 11:41 »

Castlerook over on Mastodon.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2017, 08:35 »

I must be getting old.
It looks pretty confusing to me...

Whenever I have a gander at it, all I can think of is IRC boards!
(Or usenet...)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2017, 09:20 »

Basically, you can be on (almost) any server, with its own policies, and communicate with/follow anyone on (almost) any server, just by putting their server name after their address (if you're on mastodon.social, you could just use @bhtooefr, but if you were on, say, witches.town, you'd have to use @[email protected] (but if you were following me or conversing with me, it'd likely autocomplete that)), similar to emailing.

The reason I say almost any server is, server admins can choose to block other servers if they're receiving a lot of objectionable content from those servers. (Or, they can block specific users on other servers, too.)

The idea is that you get on a server that matches your interests (not actually necessary, but it makes the server's local timeline more relevant) and desired rules, and then you're in the network.

Charles012

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #7 on: 07 Dec 2017, 12:17 »

I should get old.

It looks quite befuddling to me...

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #8 on: 08 Dec 2017, 06:34 »

(Or usenet...)

Those who do not understand Usenet are doomed to reinvent it badly.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #9 on: 11 Mar 2019, 11:30 »

I went and joined Mastodon, https://meow.social/@oddtail - feel free to follow or message me if so inclined. It remains to be seen how much I'll end up using it.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2019, 12:32 »

(Or usenet...)

Why not go all the way back to Bulletin Boards, which you had to dial into individually.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2019, 13:23 »

Does anyone under 50 even have a landline these days?
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2019, 14:10 »

I am putting on ebay (for the laugh) a USR Courier modem.  This was one of a bank for a Bulletin Board in the early to mid 1990s, and then my home modem until I got ADSL broadband.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2019, 14:57 »

Does anyone under 50 even have a landline these days?

You mean like actual land-line, the one used for making calls? my parents. they're in their mid-70s, and there's no cable ij their home.

technically, my apartment building has both cable and landlines, but the previous owner of my flat managed to make both cable and phone line disappear from my flat. (they owned my flat and the neighboring one, and apparently physically disconnected mine when they broke though the wall.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2019, 16:16 »

Why not go all the way back to Bulletin Boards, which you had to dial into individually.

Not if they were on FidoNet!

(Or you could always use AX.25, and the only dialing you were doing was setting the VFO on your radio to the right frequency. But even then, with MBL/RLI and FBB protocols, the amateur radio BBSes are interconnected too...)

Mind you, this is an era that I basically completely missed because I was too young, but yeah.
Pages: [1]   Go Up