Hanners descending into Looney Tunes-esque attempts to get rid of Tilly
- 13 (29.5%)
Tilly turns out to be worse than Cosette and burns down Coffee of Doom
- 5 (11.4%)
Tilly sits in the corner of the coffeeshop for the day and sniffs tea
- 6 (13.6%)
The non-continuing adventures to buy Hanners new phone
- 2 (4.5%)
The story switches to Brun browsing for clocks.
- 4 (9.1%)
The QC version of Single White Female, but plays out like Home Alone
- 3 (6.8%)
Hanners breaks out the ultimate weapon. Tilly has to spend 15 minutes with...Pintsize!
- 8 (18.2%)
Pintsize eating birdseed
- 3 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: 25 Nov 2017, 11:03

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 3616 to 3621 (20th to 24th November 2017)  (Read 39462 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: WCDT 3616 to 3621 (20th to 24th November 2017)
« Reply #200 on: 24 Nov 2017, 02:54 »

I cannot think of anyone more deserving of having Tilly unleashed upon them than mobile-phone companies, so I'm down with her plan.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #201 on: 24 Nov 2017, 03:31 »

I cannot think of anyone more deserving of having Tilly unleashed upon them than mobile-phone companies, so I'm down with her plan.

But think about the roaming charges. Or the criminal charges.
oh god

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #202 on: 24 Nov 2017, 06:00 »

"And, Taffy, once you're done buying a new phone for me, the brooms are in the closet over there..."

The ACTION, it is way too hectic to me!
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #203 on: 24 Nov 2017, 06:19 »

With 30+ Characters(?) adding a one trick pony like Tilly for another redemption arc feels really redundant. How often do we need Character with flaws joins the group, through the group has personal revelation and grows?

Luckily for you, it seems Tilly hasn't changed a goddamn bit.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #204 on: 24 Nov 2017, 06:24 »

"And, Taffy, once you're done buying a new phone for me, the brooms are in the closet over there..."

This is the QC-verse. Just buying a new handset could be an adventure and a half.

"No, Pintsize! Stop it! Those are communications tools, not personal pleasure appliances!"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Martorious

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #205 on: 24 Nov 2017, 07:51 »

Hi guys, first post and all that.

I just wanted to throw this thought out there... 

I can imagine Claire's, and possibly Marten's mom's, fingers twitching with an almost uncontrollable urge to whisk Tilly away for a friendly makeover intervention.

Ok, back to our regularly scheduled discussion...

TheEvilDog

« Reply #206 on: 24 Nov 2017, 09:23 »

I can imagine Claire's, and possibly Marten's mom's, fingers twitching with an almost uncontrollable urge to whisk Tilly away for a friendly makeover intervention.

Hello and welcome.

One thing I would ask though: Why would Claire's mother want to take Tilly out for a makeover? The only person ClaireMom has met from the cast is Marten. There might be an outside chance Veronica might have a word, but that's highly unlikely. She's closer to Faye and Dora than she is to Hanners, from what we've seen. But that's because she has more of a connection to them, what with Faye being Marten's roommate and Dora being Marten's ex.

If anyone were to intervene right now, it would more likely be Dora. And that would be 70% being Hanners' friend and 30% being Tilly being disruptive to the running of CoD.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #207 on: 24 Nov 2017, 11:08 »

Otoh, I cannot think of many entities it'd be more dangerous to let Tilly demonstrate her 'abilities' to - so while I agree with the sentiment, I'm not quite sanguine about risk of their hiring Tilly on the spot, so she can then bless every of their clients with her 'skills'.

In a way, Tilly reminds me a bit of the character of Martin Blank in Grosse Point Blank - all-round likeable good guy whose 'flexible sense of individual ethics' had him ending up in a career as a CIA-hitman. I don't think that Tilly is bad in the moral sense so much as "worryingly flexible" in what she considers ethical priorities.

She certainly has a long way to go before she's an Alfred - who acted as moral compass to the often times 'less ethically troubled' Bruce Wayne.

« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2017, 11:18 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #208 on: 24 Nov 2017, 11:09 »

Welcome, new person!

Veronica might be the worst person for Tilly, who is already too submissive.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #209 on: 24 Nov 2017, 11:09 »

I don't know about a makeover for Tilly, but an alliance between Veronica and Clairemom would be a force to be reckoned with.  And for all we know, they might have known each other in junior high school.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #210 on: 24 Nov 2017, 12:18 »

I don't know about a makeover for Tilly, but an alliance between Veronica and Clairemom would be a force to be reckoned with.  And for all we know, they might have known each other in junior high school.
That seems unlikely considering the Reeds were Californians before Marten followed his college girlfriend back across the continent… 
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #211 on: 24 Nov 2017, 17:08 »

That seems unlikely considering the Reeds were Californians before Marten followed his college girlfriend back across the continent…
More unlikely than sentient robots, baristas with pizza delivering super hero doppelgangers, and invisible AI controlled space planes giving people rides to parties? 

Martorious

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #212 on: 24 Nov 2017, 17:25 »

Hello and welcome.

One thing I would ask though: Why would Claire's mother want to take Tilly out for a makeover? The only person ClaireMom has met from the cast is Marten. There might be an outside chance Veronica might have a word, but that's highly unlikely. She's closer to Faye and Dora than she is to Hanners, from what we've seen. But that's because she has more of a connection to them, what with Faye being Marten's roommate and Dora being Marten's ex.

If anyone were to intervene right now, it would more likely be Dora. And that would be 70% being Hanners' friend and 30% being Tilly being disruptive to the running of CoD.

Sorry, apparently my sentence structure led to some confusion. I was not referring to Claire's mother. I was talking about Claire herself. It could be rewritten as "Claire's fingers, and Marten's mom's fingers..."

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #213 on: 24 Nov 2017, 17:38 »

There are actual walking around live people today who could have grown up watching too much magical girl anime.

Git offa my lawn!
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

cloudatlatl

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #214 on: 24 Nov 2017, 20:25 »

Well, here ends week 3 of watching Jeph in real time trying to figure out what to do with this new character he doesn't know what to do with.

I'm not against Tilly herself, there are just way more other situations I'd rather see Jeph exploring than this one, which just feels like it's headed nowhere.  Have Clinton walk in and get in a fight with Tilly over who's the bigger Ellicott-Chatham fan.  Then maybe Dora is suddenly struck in the head by a flying Roomba and Penny has to look after the place while Hannelore and Tilly take her to the hospital.  I know I don't read QC for its fast-paced action, but still...

DesiArxxy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #215 on: 24 Nov 2017, 21:02 »

Anyone else has a feeling that Taffy Tilly is actually gunning for the Ellicott-Chatham empire? As in, CEO?

Taffy strikes me as the exact sort of "I'm sorry, orders are orders!" person who would end up becoming the unflappably "nice" assistant who cheerfully orders liquidations on behalf of the CEO and remembers to both tip the assassins and send gift baskets to the victims' families.

I mean, even here with something as simple as a cell phone, she doesn't see getting what you paid for as the goal; she sees getting what you paid for as the opening position from which to leverage people into giving you more. The concept of a fair deal does not exist in Taffy's world, only "the best deal I can extract from you."
« Last Edit: 24 Nov 2017, 21:07 by DesiArxxy »

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #216 on: 25 Nov 2017, 00:08 »

Anyone else has a feeling that Taffy Tilly is actually gunning for the Ellicott-Chatham empire? As in, CEO?

Taffy strikes me as the exact sort of "I'm sorry, orders are orders!" person who would end up becoming the unflappably "nice" assistant who cheerfully orders liquidations on behalf of the CEO and remembers to both tip the assassins and send gift baskets to the victims' families.

I mean, even here with something as simple as a cell phone, she doesn't see getting what you paid for as the goal; she sees getting what you paid for as the opening position from which to leverage people into giving you more. The concept of a fair deal does not exist in Taffy's world, only "the best deal I can extract from you."
As Hannah Arendt once said, one of the most horrifying parts of evil is the banality in which it can be done.

EDIT: making my point clearer.
« Last Edit: 26 Nov 2017, 06:46 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #217 on: 25 Nov 2017, 01:00 »

Would we be more sympathetic to Tilly if she looked more like Mercy Graves?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #218 on: 25 Nov 2017, 06:34 »

False equivalence. Luthor actually wanted to employ Mercy. She didn't force her way into his life and refuse to leave. Tilly's appearance has nothing to do with why people dislike her. That's all in her actions. If you wanted a better comparison consider the differences between Hanner's original, much more stalker behavior where she was still treated better than Tilly, Clinton or Dale, even though she was presented as more unstable back then, and thus a more credible potential threat.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #219 on: 26 Nov 2017, 03:24 »

I've a dim memory (in Douglas Adams I think) about a line of products that get you out of the problems you wouldn't have if you hadn't used them in the first place.

I'm also getting strong flashbacks for past trainees, and in particular the delicate balance of encouraging the keenness whilst removing the foolhardiness ("That's a great idea, and will save some irritation all round, but if it goes horribly wrong like *this* no-one will be able to do any work on Monday. Now what can we do to make it impossible to go wrong?")

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #220 on: 26 Nov 2017, 12:55 »

I've a dim memory (in Douglas Adams I think) about a line of products that get you out of the problems you wouldn't have if you hadn't used them in the first place.

Not sure, but you might be thinking of the computer program Reason which was described in Dirk Gently's holistic detective agency. You entered the conclusion that you wanted, the facts, and the program calculated a chain of arguments that made it look like the facts supported the conclusion you wanted.

Skickat från min SGP611 via Tapatalk

"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up