THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what will they get Tilly to do? (Choose Three!)

Help out Penny with the rota for Coffee of Doom as well as help Dora plan expansion/growth
- 9 (9%)
Field 'phone calls and make appointments at Union Robotics (including appointments for Sam's 'sprays')
- 10 (10%)
Act as the 'token fleshie' at Punchbot & Associates (Punchbot needing a stand-in right arm)
- 7 (7%)
Help Hannelore set up and her charity for disadvantaged synthetics
- 15 (15%)
Organise all the things that she THINKS Hannelore wants in her life (dates, job interviews, etc)
- 20 (20%)
Get a job at Smif's library (as Claire and Emily have gone back to their respective classes)
- 1 (1%)
Sulk at her failure and be corrupted to the Dark Side by Spookybot
- 7 (7%)
Help Winslow and Arthur out at the self-help groups
- 4 (4%)
Help Marten organise HIS life (keeping up the blog, band practice, publicity and the like)
- 13 (13%)
Help Jim organise his back office and make sure Brun isn't sneaking too many day-old pastries
- 1 (1%)
Help Sven keep his chaotic life in more order (Hannelore's plea for a friend)
- 9 (9%)
Other (Please specify in your comment)
- 4 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 3611 to 3615 (13th to 17th November 2017)  (Read 41550 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT 3611 to 3615 (13th to 17th November 2017)
« on: 12 Nov 2017, 13:19 »

I think that we are going to see Hannelore do something very, very humanitarian in this coming week. She's going to let Tilly stay around because she knows perfectly well that her mother has zero patience for failure and that those who test her patience tend to meet ugly ends. However, Tilly can't just sit around doing nothing, so she's going to get her friends together to find a week's worth of busy-work.

What sort of tasks do you think that they will find for her?

I'm thinking that Hannelore will want Tilly out of her way at first, so I can see her choosing the most stressful options in an attempt to make Tilly want to quit. That would require Faye, Sam and the rough-and-tumble of Union Robotics. It may also involve dealing with the eccentric clientele at the various self-help groups.

However, I would like... and it would be a nice touch... if Tilly could find a genuine way in which she can be Hannelore's assistant. Maybe Hannelore mentions her idea of starting a movement to improve the treatment and lot of the vast majority of synthetics. Hannelore isn't the sort of person who could start a whole new charitable organisation from scratch. Tilly has likely been trained in how to make an executive's vague dreams into a reality all her professional life.

As Marten will likely say: "Looks like we've adopted another one!"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT 3611 to 3615 (13th to 17th November 2017)
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2017, 14:24 »

The idea of Hannelore launching and Tilly organizing a charity for AIs has my unconditional love.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2017, 15:50 »

I really like this idea. I hope that's how it plays out.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2017, 17:12 »

Quote from: imaginary Hannelore
Tilly, I've decided not only to keep you on, but to entrust you with carrying out one of my most valued projects.

Go to the zoo and do not return until you have counted every hair on every animal there.

If you don't, well, I'll just tell my mother you didn't work out.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2017, 21:32 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2017, 18:28 »

I kinda want the running gag for this storyline to be everyone mistakenly calling her Taffy, just with her quietly correcting them and she gets more and more resentful about. At the end of the story, Tilly reports back to Beatrice, who calls her Taffy and boom! Tilly explodes and goes on a rant at her boss.

I'm still trying to decide if Tilly gets fired or promoted to Beatrice's own PA.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2017, 20:32 »

Comic’s up and I think Hanners might be contemplating getting the big guns out.

Or at least find some poor schmuck she can pass Tilly onto as soon as possible...

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2017, 20:34 »

Hmm... closest thing to a last-name we have for Tilly... should we pronounce it Key-Hoe-tick, or quick-soh-tick?

Sidenote, I confused Thixotropic and Quixotic.
Just going through life.

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2017, 20:39 »

Is anyone else besides me using Mindy Cohn as their head-voice for Tilly now?

...And there ever been a "Head Voice" thread for that matter?

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2017, 20:39 »

I'm still annoyed how much of a pushy salesman Tilly is. I honestly hate her.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2017, 21:11 »

I'm thinking 'gives' her to Dora. But we'll see.  :-D

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2017, 21:13 »

"How would it look to my superiors?"

"... like they'd made a terrible mistake that wasted everyone's time and money."
oh god

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2017, 21:35 »

Very well, Ms. Birch, I accept you as my assistant on condition that you obey all the household rules.

You must keep your body and skin at the same level of bacterial sterility as Winslow's at all times.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2017, 21:57 »

I see one potential way of winning over Hannelore.  Tiffy said she doesn't currently have any lodging nearby, but will soon.  Perhaps she could take over "Juicy's" lease. 

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2017, 22:00 »

I feel like there's some story line in the future that wants Hanners to have a PA, and this is such an unlikely thing that this inordinately long argument was needed to justify it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2017, 22:29 »

The tactic that Hannelore's mother is using simply cannot be perceived by her to work, if Hannelore ever wants to have any kind of independence and self-determination in the future. If she were to accept this entering wedge, her life would never again be her own.

What does Hannelore have to lose, by giving Tilly a try?

Her very identity as anything other than an appendage to her mother.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2017, 23:26 »

Tilly really is a bizarre personality, isn't she? I mean, I applaud being dedicated to one's work but to be dedicated to the point where you are actually trying to hang on to a location where you are neither wanted nor needed? I'm not sure if that's crazy dedicated or just crazy! FWIW, I suspect that, at some point, it will come out just how afraid of Beatrice she is and just how thoroughly intimidated into doing this job she was.

However, the 'intimidation' explanation cannot and does not explain Tilly's relentless cheer. One can't help but wonder if she's heard rumours about Hannelore being 'nicer' or something and that the thought of working for her instead of being on the executive level at HQ and thus around Beatrice makes this job simply too sweet to lose!

Jeph does like creating completely weird characters, doesn't he?

Hmm... closest thing to a last-name we have for Tilly... should we pronounce it Key-Hoe-tick, or quick-soh-tick?

Tilly's surname is Birch. Her middle name is Quixotica. Hey, what can I say? Her dad was a Cervantes fan!

"How would it look to my superiors?"

"... like they'd made a terrible mistake that wasted everyone's time and money."

Which they would blame on Tilly to avoid any embarrassment or blame landing on their desks. She would be demoted or even fired as the embarrassment to the company that she had become, aside from whatever personal revenge Beatrice exacted for not carrying out her plan.

This is the big thing; Hannelore needs to balance her own independence against the fact that Tilly would be made to suffer if she were perceived by Beatrice to have failed.
~~~~

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2017, 00:13 »

> Which they would blame on Tilly to avoid any embarrassment or blame landing on their desks.

Exactly. No-one ever advanced their career by demonstrating their management has a problem with their "New clothes".

I'm rather reminded of Sven's Intern.

Thinking personally, I genuinely don't know what a PA could do for me, although I could use a housemaid to deal with my catastrophic untidiness... And like Sven's intern there'd be a tendency to turn one into the other.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #17 on: 13 Nov 2017, 00:34 »

I see one potential way of winning over Hannelore.  Tiffy said she doesn't currently have any lodging nearby, but will soon.  Perhaps she could take over "Juicy's" lease.
Getting rid of "Juicy" - now there's a task.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2017, 01:22 »

TILLY: "Mister Forty-Seven? I have a contract for you. Normal rate and the utmost discretion, as always."
~~~~

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov 2017, 01:32 »

Y'all need to chill. Tilly is delightful. Maybe she can help Hannelore buy out Coffee of Doom and franchise that shit. :D Beatrice would be so proud.
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #20 on: 13 Nov 2017, 03:17 »

"What have you got to lose?"

Sorry, Tilly - that phrase has been tainted forever...

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #21 on: 13 Nov 2017, 03:38 »

TILLY: "Mister Forty-Seven? I have a contract for you. Normal rate and the utmost discretion, as always."

Given the rest of the Questionable Content Universe, Juicy is gonna wake up somewhere in California, having signed the lease over to Tilly, and no memories of the last five weeks.
Just going through life.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #22 on: 13 Nov 2017, 03:39 »

Exactly. No-one ever advanced their career by demonstrating their management has a problem with their "New clothes".

Who did in fact point out a problem with his clothes... (1230)
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #23 on: 13 Nov 2017, 04:50 »

That "I won't stop intruding on your life unless you call the cops on me"-attitude is a wee bit creepy, Tilly ... just sayin'
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #24 on: 13 Nov 2017, 05:01 »

Yeah, Tilly is a bit of a talker.

Which is incidentally short a letter of what she's acting like.

Maybe Marten needs to get his sword.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2017, 08:07 »

Ms. Birch, how would you like to be in charge of an entire organization?

Put together the papers and planning for my new venture, a legal defense fund for victims of my mother.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2017, 08:21 »

I know several forum members have mentioned fear of Beatrice's wrath as a reason Tilly can't take no for an answer, but shouldn't she have mentioned that by now? To gain Hannelore's sympathy, if for no other reason. Instead Tilly just refuses to leave until Hanners gets worn down by sheer persistence, which casts doubt about just how badly it would go for her if she failed, in my mind at least, and also makes her much more annoying as well.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

TheEvilDog

« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2017, 08:33 »

I know several forum members have mentioned fear of Beatrice's wrath as a reason Tilly can't take no for an answer, but shouldn't she have mentioned that by now? To gain Hannelore's sympathy, if for no other reason. Instead Tilly just refuses to leave until Hanners gets worn down by sheer persistence, which casts doubt about just how badly it would go for her if she failed, in my mind at least, and also makes her much more annoying as well.

Why break out the Mom card though? I'm pretty sure that Tilly knew of Beatrice's reputation before being assigned the job (and surely any job would mean you'd research your new boss), and I'm pretty sure that Tilly would know her mother better than her. Even if half the stories about what Beatrice has done is true, than Hanners wouldn't need to be told about her mother's wrath, she already knows what her mother is capable of.

maneyan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 13 Nov 2017, 09:01 »

I think my main issue with Tilly is the fact that she is being pushed onto the very last person who - to my mind - can deal well with something like this. Dora would have been hilarious. Faye/Bubbles as well. Sven most definitely. But Hannelore? No, that only seems like it's gonna be a highway to a nervous breakdown considering how she acted when Clinton got creepy with her during their first meeting. Her "cheer" etc. just comes across as an indoctrinated businessman's. She probably will stick around, but I honestly can't say I am the least excited about it.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #29 on: 13 Nov 2017, 10:22 »

Who did in fact point out a problem with his clothes... (1230)

Except Tilly isn’t there to learn anything.  If she were assigned to Sven she’d have no problem doing his housework.

DesiArxxy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #30 on: 13 Nov 2017, 14:56 »

Y'all need to chill. Tilly is delightful.

Tilly has made it crystal clear that her loyalty is to "what the company told me to do, even when it doesn't make sense and is clearly unethical", which absolutely rules out keeping her. The foremost qualification of a personal assistant is they have to be loyal to the person they're assisting, not third parties.

Hannelore can never, ever, ever trust Tilly. Ever.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #31 on: 13 Nov 2017, 15:15 »

I have to agree.

Of course what's actually happening is that Tilly is pretending to act as Hanners's PA, but in the reality of her own mind she is actually Beatrice's PA and this is merely a task she is doing for her.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #32 on: 13 Nov 2017, 15:25 »

Tilly has made it crystal clear that her loyalty is to "what the company told me to do, even when it doesn't make sense and is clearly unethical", which absolutely rules out keeping her. The foremost qualification of a personal assistant is they have to be loyal to the person they're assisting, not third parties.

Welcome, perceptive and absolutely correct new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #33 on: 13 Nov 2017, 16:43 »

The fourth panel was the one that really put the nail on the coffin for me... There's no way in hell I would spend more than 15 minutes (let alone 23!) with such a mindless individual. I can't even feel sorry for her at this point.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #34 on: 13 Nov 2017, 17:57 »

Matilda "Tilly" Birch, how apropos.

Beatrice no doubt screens all her applicants for sociopathic tendencies - and then only takes on the ones who score the highest in that area.   Blood and breeding mean much to Beatrice, but Ms Matilda is her Apprentice of Evil for she knows Hannelore will never qualify in that area.   Indeed, becoming her mother's clone is one of Hanners's worst nightmares.  Beatrice has concluded Hannelore will never become her clone and Tilly is her gambit to craft her into her puppet instead. 

As for Tilly, she knows exactly what kind of harpy she's working for and views it as the ultimate opportunity.

And is it just me, or is Jeph drawing Tilly to look like a female Jesper Pate?

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #35 on: 13 Nov 2017, 18:01 »

This is a test. Of Hannelore's executive ability. If she can manage the Taffie situation, she is worthy to follow in her mother's footsteps.

(boy do I despise Beatrice at the moment)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

sizer

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #36 on: 13 Nov 2017, 18:55 »

Aaaaaah someone else gets it. I've been losing my damned mind this little arc.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #37 on: 13 Nov 2017, 20:01 »

Welcome, new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #38 on: 13 Nov 2017, 21:11 »

Nice to see Hanners going into passive aggressive mode for this.

Also tentative hope for the idea that misnaming Tilly is going to be a running gag for this arc.

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #39 on: 13 Nov 2017, 21:30 »

Welcome, new person!

I'm curious, do you get a notification any time somebody posts for the first time? You're always right on the ball to welcome them.

And I'm sure that Tilly being called Taffy is definitely going to be a running gag for this arc. Even if it wasn't before, there was such a positive reaction to the idea here that Jeph probably decided "Eh, why not? Doesn't change anything important."

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #40 on: 13 Nov 2017, 21:34 »

Also tentative hope for the idea that misnaming Tilly is going to be a running gag for this arc.

In the end, it might be the thing that drives her off.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #41 on: 13 Nov 2017, 21:36 »

Okay it's official: I like Tilly, because what she does has nothing to do with anyone's malice, and everything to do with the fact that she just absolutely loves the challenge of being the very best at her job.

I mean, I get it, it's a terrible thing for Hanners, but as this is fiction, and comedy is derived from pain, I'm kinda eager to see what chaos Tilly will introduce with this exceptionalism.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #42 on: 13 Nov 2017, 21:37 »

Welcome, new person!

I'm curious, do you get a notification any time somebody posts for the first time? You're always right on the ball to welcome them.

I miss a lamentable number of new people. I hope they feel welcome anyway.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #43 on: 13 Nov 2017, 21:51 »

Fine, Hannelore can't trust Tilly, but if she dismisses her she probably knows what her mother will do next.  Regardless of Tilly's fate another PA would be sent so it's better to employ her, but keep her at arm's length. 

And there seems to be a lot of snap judgment's of Tilly.  She's definitely an abnormal person, but that doesn't mean she's a sociopath.  Hannelore and plenty of others in this strip have some psychological problems of varying degree too.  Perhaps Beatrice screens prospective assistants for just this kind of behavior.   

And 93 minutes to shower!  I hope her father gave her some kind of space age hygienic chamber because that's a lot of water to be going through.   

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #44 on: 13 Nov 2017, 21:54 »

At this point I don't think Tilly HAS any loyalty to Beaterice or the company. I think she literally just loves the job, and views Hannelore as the holy grail. I can just imagine Beatrice's HR department showing a list of Hanner's qualities, and everyone in the meeting just takes a giant step backwards, and then Tilly literally lunges at the paper and runs away with it cackling into the distance.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #45 on: 13 Nov 2017, 22:09 »

Is this really passive-aggressive? A 93 minute bathing routine seems like just plain Hannelore to me  :-D

But it seems (to me, at least) that Tilly couldn't give a damn what Hanners really wants - it would seem Hanners is just a mission objective on her radar...

(And I know I'm gonna get annoyed by that smug expression!)
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
« Reply #46 on: 13 Nov 2017, 22:14 »

And 93 minutes to shower!  I hope her father gave her some kind of space age hygienic chamber because that's a lot of water to be going through.

A 93 minute bathing process probably doesn't mean 93 minutes of continuous water usage. A sensible person turns things off while scrubbing then turns on to rinse etc. It probably also includes other elements of morning ablutions.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2017, 22:25 by Nycticoraci »

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #47 on: 13 Nov 2017, 22:23 »

and/or ablations...
exfoliations...
(etc, etc)

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
« Reply #48 on: 13 Nov 2017, 22:28 »

and/or ablations...
exfoliations...
(etc, etc)

I hope not  ablations. :-)

That is a rather more destructive process. Then again we have seen hanners scrub till she bleeds

tiercel

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #49 on: 13 Nov 2017, 22:29 »

Red flags:

“Hi!  I’m nominally here to serve you but refuse to respect your express wishes except in way I deem fit for me!”  Gets right up my nose; can understand this spawning passive-aggressive in response by calling her Taffy etc.

“Hi!  I already have and am using a disturbing level of personal detail on you that most people might normally only entrust to a spouse/partner!” (Or at least Facebook?) Maybe I’m foolishly old fashioned, the way some people heedlessly share Every Life Detail online, but I find this repulsive and insulting.

“Hi!  I’m here to work your mother’s will upon you!”  Do I need to explain this one?  Even in the best case scenario where this plot forces Hanners to sustain enough spine to either genuinely bend Taffy to her will or (in defiance of all comedic convention) actually dismiss this “loveably” whackadoodle intrusion, we still get a HannerMom steepled-fingers “Excellent-everything-is-proceeding-as-I-have-forseen” reaction shot.

And, possibly triggery:
(click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up