THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, what will they get Tilly to do? (Choose Three!)

Help out Penny with the rota for Coffee of Doom as well as help Dora plan expansion/growth
- 9 (9%)
Field 'phone calls and make appointments at Union Robotics (including appointments for Sam's 'sprays')
- 10 (10%)
Act as the 'token fleshie' at Punchbot & Associates (Punchbot needing a stand-in right arm)
- 7 (7%)
Help Hannelore set up and her charity for disadvantaged synthetics
- 15 (15%)
Organise all the things that she THINKS Hannelore wants in her life (dates, job interviews, etc)
- 20 (20%)
Get a job at Smif's library (as Claire and Emily have gone back to their respective classes)
- 1 (1%)
Sulk at her failure and be corrupted to the Dark Side by Spookybot
- 7 (7%)
Help Winslow and Arthur out at the self-help groups
- 4 (4%)
Help Marten organise HIS life (keeping up the blog, band practice, publicity and the like)
- 13 (13%)
Help Jim organise his back office and make sure Brun isn't sneaking too many day-old pastries
- 1 (1%)
Help Sven keep his chaotic life in more order (Hannelore's plea for a friend)
- 9 (9%)
Other (Please specify in your comment)
- 4 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 3611 to 3615 (13th to 17th November 2017)  (Read 41544 times)

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
Re: WCDT 3611 to 3615 (13th to 17th November 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 13 Nov 2017, 22:44 »

Red flags:

“Hi!  I’m nominally here to serve you but refuse to respect your express wishes except in way I deem fit for me!”  Gets right up my nose; can understand this spawning passive-aggressive in response by calling her Taffy etc.

“Hi!  I already have and am using a disturbing level of personal detail on you that most people might normally only entrust to a spouse/partner!” (Or at least Facebook?) Maybe I’m foolishly old fashioned, the way some people heedlessly share Every Life Detail online, but I find this repulsive and insulting.

“Hi!  I’m here to work your mother’s will upon you!”  Do I need to explain this one?  Even in the best case scenario where this plot forces Hanners to sustain enough spine to either genuinely bend Taffy to her will or (in defiance of all comedic convention) actually dismiss this “loveably” whackadoodle intrusion, we still get a HannerMom steepled-fingers “Excellent-everything-is-proceeding-as-I-have-forseen” reaction shot.

And, possibly triggery:
(click to show/hide)

That...Doesn't really seem to be what Beatrice actually is. She's a tyrant, but she's not really that meglomaniacal so much as...impulsively aggressive? She might not hold back when it comes to handling things on a corporate level, but as far as individuals? Neh. I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt, and especially in regards to her own daughter.

I'm gonna stick with what seems to be the usual case with Jeph's storylines: The road to hell paved with good, and oddball intentions. Corpse Witch so far has been the only 'truelly' irredeemable character we've ever seen, and even she has a certain logic to her Machiavellian personality: She did what she thought was best for her personal survival, even if it had amoral results.

To have Beatrice behave so cartoonishly villainous would be a HUGE step backwards from the growth she had bonding with Hannelore when she visited.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #51 on: 13 Nov 2017, 23:02 »

And 93 minutes to shower!  I hope her father gave her some kind of space age hygienic chamber because that's a lot of water to be going through.

A 93 minute bathing process probably doesn't mean 93 minutes of continuous water usage. A sensible person turns things off while scrubbing then turns on to rinse etc. It probably also includes other elements of morning ablutions.

And when was the last time Hannelore was described as a sensible person?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #52 on: 13 Nov 2017, 23:11 »

If you're a new QC character and you aren't detested on the forums within about half a dozen appearances, then you've probably been mute.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #53 on: 13 Nov 2017, 23:12 »

I've got the feeling that Tilly is going to find the next two days will consist of her being 'speak my schedule' and acting as a pair of arms to carry things Hannelore doesn't want to carry and a pair of hands to touch things she doesn't want to touch (all within reason, of course).

IMO, any realistic claims of malignancy on Tilly's part have been extinguished by panel 1: She's not so much satisfied in victory as overjoyed that she's getting the treat that she wants. There's a childishness here that I'm still trying to work out and from which to draw solid conclusions. That said, from panel 4 we also learn that Tilly has the same sort of obsessive attention to detail as Hannelore; she might accidentally enable Hanners' worst behavioural excesses!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #54 on: 13 Nov 2017, 23:52 »

I forgot - I wrote "Other" in the poll and forgot to include the reason:

Truly the most unlikely scenario of all!:
Tilly merely took this job as an opportunity to get close to Hannelore, to whom she intends to confide her Machiavellian master-plan for the downfall of Beatrice Ellicott-Chatham... 
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
« Reply #55 on: 13 Nov 2017, 23:56 »

And 93 minutes to shower!  I hope her father gave her some kind of space age hygienic chamber because that's a lot of water to be going through.

A 93 minute bathing process probably doesn't mean 93 minutes of continuous water usage. A sensible person turns things off while scrubbing then turns on to rinse etc. It probably also includes other elements of morning ablutions.

And when was the last time Hannelore was described as a sensible person?

Hannelore is very sensible, if a bit excessive and obsessive.

To be precise, there is always a sense behind what she does or thinks, even if it is not something that an ordinary person would consider.

To add to this, carefully avoiding wasting excess water is exactly the sort of thing an OCD person might do. If you have developed a precise bathing ritual that is followed to the letter, there is no reason that wouldn't include the repeated turning on and off of the shower.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #56 on: 14 Nov 2017, 00:23 »

Which may involve headphones and scented candles...
http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1719

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #57 on: 14 Nov 2017, 01:22 »

Someone as hyper-organised as Hannelore probably has a 'urgent rush shorter clean' schedule. The problem is that the things she classifies as 'optional extras to skip' may not be the same as anyone else's.

DORA: "Hanners, why did you come in wearing your fluffy bunny slippers?"
~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #58 on: 14 Nov 2017, 01:26 »

To add to this, carefully avoiding wasting excess water is exactly the sort of thing an OCD person might do. If you have developed a precise bathing ritual that is followed to the letter, there is no reason that wouldn't include the repeated turning on and off of the shower.

With regards to this issue, it might be worth noting her 4 minute tolerance for water pressure. That might enable someone, with more motivation than I have, to try and make an estimate of how many times she turns on the tap.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #59 on: 14 Nov 2017, 03:03 »

Its going to be rather fun when Hanners turns up at the coffee shop with Tilly in tow. What is Dora going to make of someone parked in the shop all day taking up a table? To be acceptable Tilly will presumably need to be regularly consuming coffee, possibly to the extent of total caffeine overload by the end of the working day.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #60 on: 14 Nov 2017, 03:11 »

@JimC,

Jeph has put a preview picture of Hanners in CoD wearing a black shirt and an unhappy facial expression. I'm thinking that Dora and whoever else is working the morning shift (Emily please!) will realise how this imposition is impacting on their friend's mental health and will take it upon themselves to help. The way Emily chooses to do this may leave Tilly thinking that she's an extra in The Mask.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 14 Nov 2017, 03:26 »

So, the evidence that Taffy is Nexus 9 is getting weaker...

BUT!!!

(errmm....)

Look at the THICKNESS of the "neck against blouse" line in that last panel!
SURELY that's the meeting of a shirt collar with a neck joint!!

(C'mon I'm clutching at STRAWS here, people!)  :angel:
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #62 on: 14 Nov 2017, 04:14 »

Tilly is all too humanly infuriating to be a robot.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #63 on: 14 Nov 2017, 06:55 »

Its going to be rather fun when Hanners turns up at the coffee shop with Tilly in tow. What is Dora going to make of someone parked in the shop all day taking up a table? To be acceptable Tilly will presumably need to be regularly consuming coffee, possibly to the extent of total caffeine overload by the end of the working day.

Perhaps she can be put to use as a test user for the more, shall we say, exotic blends?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #64 on: 14 Nov 2017, 08:54 »

With a 93 minute shower routine it's no wonder Hanners felt tempted to skip it after her hard shift however many shifts ago.  Assuming she has one before and after work she's working on 21 hour days.  Skipping sleep just makes sense.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #65 on: 14 Nov 2017, 10:13 »

Tilly is all too humanly infuriating to be a robot.

Maybe she’s a Meseeks and all Hannelore has to is let her help and then she’ll disappear.

dutchrvl

« Reply #66 on: 14 Nov 2017, 10:40 »

If you're a new QC character and you aren't detested on the forums within about half a dozen appearances, then you've probably been mute.

Hm, not sure, previous characters to my recollection never were that detested, except maybe for Renee and to a lesser degree Brun.
Still, to me Tilly is somewhat infuriating not because she seems like a terrible person, but because she is acting so far as one of the worst types of telemarketers. You know, the type who, while you try to stay polite while telling them you're not interested, keep trying to convince you after you have told them repeatedly that you're not interested....which eventually does make me loose my cool.

If I were Hanners I would have already shown her the door at this point. Not only does she not want a PA, she's quite right that she really does not have a need for one.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #67 on: 14 Nov 2017, 11:07 »

Hannelore has some persuasive friends.

There would be no need for a threat, no need for a raised voice, if Bubbles were to quietly explain that she cares a lot about Hannelore's well-being and autonomy. (Leaning forward)"A lot".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #68 on: 14 Nov 2017, 11:17 »

Hm, not sure, previous characters to my recollection never were that detested, except maybe for Renee and to a lesser degree Brun.

I guess you weren’t here when May was introduced then. There were people who absolutely despised her. Bubbles had a few fanatical detractors also.

On the other hand, Corpse Witch didn’t get a whole lot of hate when she was first introduced. Draw whatever moral you like from that.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

zechstyr

• Not quite a lurker
  • Nomen nudum
« Reply #69 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:34 »

Gotta say I don't like the misnaming thing.  It really makes me feel sorry for Tilly, because I've personally been there and it's belittling.  That sort of thing's a common bullying tactic (look who started the trend!  I mean, look!) and I'm unamused by the number of people who find it, well, amusing. 

I mean, yeah, Tilly's not all in the right here but people can be socially awkward.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #70 on: 14 Nov 2017, 12:56 »

It's being played for laughs but I agree it expresses contempt.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #71 on: 14 Nov 2017, 13:18 »

Gotta say I don't like the misnaming thing.  It really makes me feel sorry for Tilly, because I've personally been there and it's belittling.  That sort of thing's a common bullying tactic (look who started the trend!  I mean, look!) and I'm unamused by the number of people who find it, well, amusing. 

I mean, yeah, Tilly's not all in the right here but people can be socially awkward.

Hanners has repeatedly stated why she doesn't need a personal assistant, while Tilly has repeatedly ignored what she's saying. Yeah, Tilly is in a bad situation, but she's definitely making it worse by not listening to what Hanners is saying.

Let's face it, Hanners is rarely someone to outright confront anyone. She has to get pushed repeatedly to get to the screaming someone down stage. She's using what she has at her disposal and in this case its undermining someone who is doing the exact same to her.

Some people say you have to fight fire with fire, personally I prefer fighting it with water.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #72 on: 14 Nov 2017, 13:29 »

But Hannelore usually fights fire with Hannerrage.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #73 on: 14 Nov 2017, 13:31 »

She never hulks out on her own behalf, only to protect friends.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #74 on: 14 Nov 2017, 15:38 »

Hanners has repeatedly stated why she doesn't need a personal assistant, while Tilly has repeatedly ignored what she's saying. Yeah, Tilly is in a bad situation, but she's definitely making it worse by not listening to what Hanners is saying.

Let's face it, Hanners is rarely someone to outright confront anyone. She has to get pushed repeatedly to get to the screaming someone down stage. She's using what she has at her disposal and in this case its undermining someone who is doing the exact same to her.

Some people say you have to fight fire with fire, personally I prefer fighting it with water.

I seem to recall twice when Hannelore did something against Marigold's objections.  First there was that time she cleaned her apartment and the other when she grounded her from video games.  And if you're argument is that was for Marigold's own good (which it was) then Beatrice can use that same justification...  if she was even looking for justification.   

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #75 on: 14 Nov 2017, 16:08 »

Welcome, new person!

I'm curious, do you get a notification any time somebody posts for the first time? You're always right on the ball to welcome them.

I miss a lamentable number of new people. I hope they feel welcome anyway.

What happens then is that the rest of us survivors creepy cultists delightful charming rogues get to them first, so ...

(click to show/hide)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #76 on: 14 Nov 2017, 16:36 »

I seem to recall twice when Hannelore did something against Marigold's objections.  First there was that time she cleaned her apartment and the other when she grounded her from video games.  And if you're argument is that was for Marigold's own good (which it was) then Beatrice can use that same justification...  if she was even looking for justification.

How the hell did you get to that point from what I said?

My point was that from the off, Tilly was undermining Hanners by continually explaining on how she was a good PA, despite Hanners repeatedly saying she hasn't. Even to the point of Hanners asking if she would have to call the police to have Tilly removed, the PA kept saying she was there to do her job. Now, she might have been hired by Beatrice but its Hanners who ultimately decides for herself if she wants a PA. Because its classic Beatrice to know what is best for her daughter, even though she doesn't really know anything about Hanners.

Hanners repeatedly misnaming Tilly is a pointed response. Because Hanners is the not the kind of person who berates someone, shouts at them or belittles them with any malicious intent. If she shouts, its because she's been pushed too far. If she takes someone down a peg or two (like her mother during her last visit), its by playing them at their own game. If Beatrice sent someone that is suspected to be something of a manipulator, Hanners is going to fight back as best she can and if that means misnaming a PA sent by her mother, so be it. Because it sends a message to her mother.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #77 on: 14 Nov 2017, 18:47 »

Taffie loves a well regulated workplace!

I firmly believe that she will find something useful to do. Something that nobody else has thought of yet. Something that will undermine Beatrice's game plan. Because Jeph.

(Saltwater Tilly? He must mean Saltwater Taffie)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #78 on: 14 Nov 2017, 20:43 »

I will be completely unsurprised if this whole arc is a set up to make that joke.

Gyrre

« Reply #79 on: 14 Nov 2017, 21:06 »

I kinda want the running gag for this storyline to be everyone mistakenly calling her Taffy, just with her quietly correcting them and she gets more and more resentful about. At the end of the story, Tilly reports back to Beatrice, who calls her Taffy and boom! Tilly explodes and goes on a rant at her boss.

I'm still trying to decide if Tilly gets fired or promoted to Beatrice's own PA.
"My name is Homer Simpson! [two guards rush in, restrain Homer, and drag him away] Oh, you're a dead man, Burns. Oh, you're dead! YOU'RE DEAD, BURNS!!!"
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #80 on: 14 Nov 2017, 21:29 »

Part of the two parter story, “Who Shot Beatrice?”, whereupon Beatrice had also crushed her greatest enemies; the local primary school and the nearby old folks home.

(click to show/hide)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #81 on: 14 Nov 2017, 21:37 »

How the hell did you get to that point from what I said?

My point was that from the off, Tilly was undermining Hanners by continually explaining on how she was a good PA, despite Hanners repeatedly saying she hasn't. Even to the point of Hanners asking if she would have to call the police to have Tilly removed, the PA kept saying she was there to do her job. Now, she might have been hired by Beatrice but its Hanners who ultimately decides for herself if she wants a PA. Because its classic Beatrice to know what is best for her daughter, even though she doesn't really know anything about Hanners.

Hanners repeatedly misnaming Tilly is a pointed response. Because Hanners is the not the kind of person who berates someone, shouts at them or belittles them with any malicious intent. If she shouts, its because she's been pushed too far. If she takes someone down a peg or two (like her mother during her last visit), its by playing them at their own game. If Beatrice sent someone that is suspected to be something of a manipulator, Hanners is going to fight back as best she can and if that means misnaming a PA sent by her mother, so be it. Because it sends a message to her mother.

The point I'm making is that Hannelore didn't have a problem doing what she thought was best despite Marigold's objections so how is this different?  Because you like Hannelore?  I like her too, but she's still got some serious mental problems.  Winslow helped her through a lot of them, but he has his own autonomy now and not around as much.  Perhaps Hannelore still needs an assistant and might relapse without Winslow's constant presence.

As for tonight's strip

I think Tilly should know better about what Hannelore would wear about a coffee shop and I'm not talking about the business suit.  I imagine Beatrice goes through a suit per day so why should her daughter be any different?  It's the shoes.  I've never seen Hannelore wear heals and don't think she can. 

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #82 on: 14 Nov 2017, 21:58 »

To be honest I'm still not sure what to make of Hanners calling her Taffy. It seems...odd for her to maintain something inaccurate this consistently after being repeatedly (if quietly) corrected, but it'd be more odd if she were doing it intentionally rather than just somehow fixed on the wrong name.

I dunno. Don't feel like reading too much into it. z.z
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #83 on: 14 Nov 2017, 22:22 »

Prediction: at some point, Hanners will refer to Tilly by her correct name. At which point, Tilly will reflexively respond with "It's Taffy."  :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #84 on: 14 Nov 2017, 22:27 »

I doubt Hannelore calling Taffy Tilly is her being passive aggressive or deliberately spiteful.  Although it might be a little out of character for her, I think it's just her being absent-minded being played for laughs.  I think if it was an intentional slight there would be more attention drawn to it in comic at the way she says it by her facial expression or bolding or what have you.

I do find it a little funny in the context that this forum is famous for jumping down people's throats for even an unintentional typo or autocorrect in a character's name.  Deliberate author jab at that?  Probably not, but still funny to me at least.
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2017, 22:32 by blt »
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #85 on: 14 Nov 2017, 23:16 »

Tiffy's quite the artiste! 

And Hanilore could really be a trend setter at the shop if she'd just take her advice... 

:-D

I'll just show myself out, thanks...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #86 on: 14 Nov 2017, 23:17 »

Tilly, seriously, why are you working in admin when your true talent is in fashion design? I'm serious! That suggested wardrobe is good, assuming that Hannelore worked in admin or sales or was going on a date. It isn't the sort of thing one should wear when going to a shift at a coffee shop where "The blender-looking thing is on fire again!" is a statement often heard.

That said... Has anyone thought to try to sell 'Coffee of Doom' branded aprons to Dora? From what I've seen, they need protective clothing in that place!

Prediction: at some point, Hanners will refer to Tilly by her correct name. At which point, Tilly will reflexively respond with "It's Taffy." :roll:

I'm expecting Tilly to respond by starting to blubber, hugging Hannelore's legs and trying to kiss her feet.
~~~~

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #87 on: 14 Nov 2017, 23:52 »

It's the shoes.  I've never seen Hannelore wear heals and don't think she can.
In a shop - where you are on your feet all day and constantly twisting and turning around and changing direction? OK, I don't wear heels and never have, but it sure feels like a recipe for screaming ankles to me. Does anyone who does wear heels want to disagree and correct me?
If test #1 for Tally was "Pick out suitable dress for the day ahead" I'd say that was an abject failure. Suitable for the executive head of the coffee shop chain who doesn't spend time on the shop floor maybe.

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #88 on: 15 Nov 2017, 00:34 »

That said... Has anyone thought to try to sell 'Coffee of Doom' branded aprons to Dora? From what I've seen, they need protective clothing in that place!

They have aprons, and wore them frequently way back in the early days.  At some point, Dora let them stop.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #89 on: 15 Nov 2017, 00:43 »

Sara took them home one evening to wash them. 

Neither was ever heard from again.   
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #90 on: 15 Nov 2017, 02:40 »

"Things explode on me."
More and more, 'Coffee of Doom' is a truly appropriate name for what is probably the most dangerous coffee shop in Northhampton...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

dutchrvl

« Reply #91 on: 15 Nov 2017, 04:45 »

I guess you weren’t here when May was introduced then. There were people who absolutely despised her. Bubbles had a few fanatical detractors also.

On the other hand, Corpse Witch didn’t get a whole lot of hate when she was first introduced. Draw whatever moral you like from that.

Thanks, no I was around, I just didn't recall May being that loathed, at least not after she re-appeared in physical form. Bubbles maybe had few detractors but was AFAIK more or less universally liked here, no?

Anyway, doesn't really matter, as always I have confidence in JJ coming up with an interesting storyline.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #92 on: 15 Nov 2017, 05:03 »

Maybe Hanners just needs to give Tilly a sock...?
Covenant

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #93 on: 15 Nov 2017, 05:06 »

Could be a bad move. Servants who receive that sort of token can easily become even more monomaniacally devoted to you!
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #94 on: 15 Nov 2017, 05:09 »

Could be a bad move. Servants who receive that sort of token can easily become even more monomaniacally devoted to you!

But she'd be free of Beatrice's tyranny ! :)
And then could be sacked! :)
Covenant

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #95 on: 15 Nov 2017, 05:32 »

The Taffy thing got pretty old for me and now I think Hanners is being kind of an ass even if Tilly is a much bigger annoyance. Although I believe the reason why I simply don't find it funny anymore is because of some co-workers. It's astonishing how many, after year and a half, still can't get through their skulls that my name is Rodrigo and that Rodriguez is a last name... It doesn't matter that I have a friggin nametag right on my chest.

So yeah, Hanners. It's Tilly.

Technoir

• Plantmonster
« Reply #96 on: 15 Nov 2017, 06:04 »

Nice to see Hanners going into passive aggressive mode for this.

Also tentative hope for the idea that misnaming Tilly is going to be a running gag for this arc.

Indeed. Given Hanners' eidetic memory, there's no way she's not calling her Taffy on purpose. It does, however go against her innate politeness. I foresee some profuse apology in the near future.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #97 on: 15 Nov 2017, 06:29 »

In a shop - where you are on your feet all day and constantly twisting and turning around and changing direction? OK, I don't wear heels and never have, but it sure feels like a recipe for screaming ankles to me. Does anyone who does wear heels want to disagree and correct me?
If test #1 for Tally was "Pick out suitable dress for the day ahead" I'd say that was an abject failure. Suitable for the executive head of the coffee shop chain who doesn't spend time on the shop floor maybe.

I am not even sure Tilly drew heels. Just the way the perspective is makes it seem like drawing-Hanners is up on her toes. However exposed ankles and the top of your feet is a really, really bad idea in a job that involves hot liquids.

As far as wearing heels in that kind of environment, unless they were tall narrow heels it wouldn't be so bad. The big thing is how much support you have. With narrow heels you're putting most of your weight on the front half/toes and if your job involves standing all day that's going to be a big pain. Wearing chunky, low heels like I prefer or wedges means good foot support.

DesiArxxy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #98 on: 15 Nov 2017, 07:01 »

I am not even sure Tilly drew heels. Just the way the perspective is makes it seem like drawing-Hanners is up on her toes. However exposed ankles and the top of your feet is a really, really bad idea in a job that involves hot liquids.

As far as wearing heels in that kind of environment, unless they were tall narrow heels it wouldn't be so bad. The big thing is how much support you have. With narrow heels you're putting most of your weight on the front half/toes and if your job involves standing all day that's going to be a big pain. Wearing chunky, low heels like I prefer or wedges means good foot support.

Honestly, the outfit just shows how useless and incompetent Tilly actually is, because she is literally unable to conceive of anything outside the corporate world.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #99 on: 15 Nov 2017, 08:32 »

Honestly, the outfit just shows how useless and incompetent Tilly actually is, because she is literally unable to conceive of anything outside the corporate world.

Maybe she misunderstood Hanners' job. Her mother is, after all, a high-powered executive; and I doubt Beatrice bothered to inform her that Hanners is an minimum-wage employee in a tiny coffee-shop, not a manager/executive in a chain or something. And, she chose pretty much exactly what Hanners chose to wear for her 'interview' : http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1707
To Tilly, Hanners' work wouldn't make a lot of sense - she's richer than the average Saudi Prince, she doesn't need a minimum-wage job.

Also, I'm really bothered by the whole Taffy thing. It's one thing to get confused once, but Tilly said her name for no less than three times. I don't think it's Hanners' being an ass on purpose, it's her not perceiving Tilly as a person - just like her mother.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up