THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 12:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Rate The Cutie - What do you think of Tilly?

10 - Best character in the strip to date!
- 1 (1.1%)
9 - Not perfect but is someone doing interesting, useful and funny things
- 1 (1.1%)
8 - They're surprisingly good/funny/interesting
- 5 (5.6%)
7 - There's potential there for doing interesting/useful/funny things in the future
- 27 (30%)
6 - Ho-hum; Jeph needs to try harder if he wants me to be interested in them
- 7 (7.8%)
5 - Indifferent; don't care what happens with them
- 9 (10%)
4 - I really don't get what Jeph sees in them
- 15 (16.7%)
3 - I tend to skip over everything they say and do to focus on other characters
- 2 (2.2%)
2 - I actually get annoyed when they're in panel
- 9 (10%)
1 - You'd be happier if they're never shown again
- 14 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3626 to 3630 (4th to 8th December 2017)  (Read 53947 times)

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
Re: WCDT Strips 3626 to 3630 (4th to 8th December 2017)
« Reply #50 on: 04 Dec 2017, 16:17 »

I wonder if Jeph has glanced at the forums recently, because a lot of the feedback I'm seeing on Patreon is very positive. Their opinion is not unanimous of course, but many people there love Tilly.

Soooo, Patreon is to blame for this nonsense!?! I knew that platform would be the downfall of humanity.

I KNEW!!!!

:laugh:

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #51 on: 04 Dec 2017, 16:38 »

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA  :evil:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #52 on: 04 Dec 2017, 16:48 »

Excuse me - I must be out of the loop here - I've seen references to 'pronouns' and 'pronoun wars' - what's that about? Is it something to do with Tilly's (to me) obscure statement about 'they/them pronouns'?

There is and has been no pronoun war.  There has been some discussion of the use of non-gendered pronouns, most of which has been transferred to a thread that was already discussing the same thing, which should remove the obscurity of the remark.

There has been some dissension over the matter of deliberately getting Tilly's name wrong, but that has passed.

Ah, fair enough. It seems that here in Australia, such non-gendered pronoun usage is rare to the point of undetectable -   
that includes at work, talking to kids, shopping, in my business dealings, anywhere...  :oops:
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #53 on: 04 Dec 2017, 17:00 »

Excuse me - I must be out of the loop here - I've seen references to 'pronouns' and 'pronoun wars' - what's that about? Is it something to do with Tilly's (to me) obscure statement about 'they/them pronouns'?

There is and has been no pronoun war.  There has been some discussion of the use of non-gendered pronouns, most of which has been transferred to a thread that was already discussing the same thing, which should remove the obscurity of the remark.

There has been some dissension over the matter of deliberately getting Tilly's name wrong, but that has passed.

Ah, fair enough. It seems that here in Australia, such non-gendered pronoun usage is rare to the point of undetectable -   
that includes at work, talking to kids, shopping, in my business dealings, anywhere...  :oops:

Such usage is very rare pretty much everywhere afaik, including in the US.
I have to admit that, while I understand and respect the use of they/them pronouns and will try to use those pronouns consistently, it still feels very unnatural (to me at least) to use them for singular human beings. So, I apologize in advance if I inadvertently use the incorrect pronoun in future posts.

zzyzx

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #54 on: 04 Dec 2017, 17:40 »

I wonder if Jeph has glanced at the forums recently, because a lot of the feedback I'm seeing on Patreon is very positive. Their opinion is not unanimous of course, but many people there love Tilly.

Do they explain why they love Tilly?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #55 on: 04 Dec 2017, 18:48 »

Not really. Not that I've noticed anyway. I guess they just find Tilly cute and amusing? I don't think they are thinking too hard about it.

Anathema, I know.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #56 on: 04 Dec 2017, 19:03 »

Tucson, Tucumcari, Tehachapi, Tonopah...
Tilapia, Tepaché, Tetch, Titch...
Tarpon, Trigger, Tokamak, Tarantula...

Tagliatelle, Turtle, Tyranosaurus, Terminator, Thesaurus, Telephone, Trepan...

Tinytoon, Tiamat, Telecaster, Teetotaler, Tacobell, Titanomachy...
Tedious, Tepid, Terrible, Tilled

Tila Tequila?
What the hell are YOU staring at?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #57 on: 04 Dec 2017, 19:25 »

Ewww, no.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #58 on: 04 Dec 2017, 19:35 »

(click to show/hide)

I suppose that comes down to whether you think he's sincere in trying to confer honor and nobility on the act of suicide for the good of the many, or if he was being sarcastic about it to rub salt in the proverbial wound because he just really wanted to kill the guy.

I got the impression it was option #1, myself.

There's also the heavily implied notion that Shepherd Book is an ex-Operative, and that the Operative is likely going to go down a similar route himself post-conclusion, which would require a pretty drastic perspective shift from amorality compared to the much smaller one of misguided utilitarianism. Not impossible, but seems less likely.

But hey, it's all fiction, so whatevs. :D
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #59 on: 04 Dec 2017, 19:52 »

Comic's up! 

Hannelore is unquestionably a mammal.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #60 on: 04 Dec 2017, 20:46 »

I like "damn-elore" more than I should.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #61 on: 04 Dec 2017, 20:59 »

Manners.

Smallest

• Curry sauce
« Reply #62 on: 04 Dec 2017, 21:01 »

The kind of sudden cut to evening makes me kind of feel like either there's going to be something that happens and gives Tilly some ground for keeping their job, or that Beatrice* is going to pull something so that Hannelore will see why she needs a personal assistant.

*Someone or someones will probably say this is something Tilly would/will do, but I preemptively disagree.

MightionNY

• Plantmonster
  • Protectobots, combine!
« Reply #63 on: 04 Dec 2017, 21:22 »

Hmmm... has Winslow been working out?  He's sitting on the couch with Hanners and is seeing her pretty much eye-to-eye, but in 3543 he's almost a full head shorter than Hanners when standing.  Makes me wonder if the Regular Boy Deluxe features a variable-length spine with automatic self-adjusting spacers. :D
"Dance like it hurts.  Love like you need money.  Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #64 on: 04 Dec 2017, 21:35 »

Ma'am-elore.  I LIKE WINSLOW.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #65 on: 04 Dec 2017, 21:43 »

"Ma'am-elore"? Great, now I want to call her 'Elora' for some reason.

EDIT: For anyone curious; Elora Galanedel, a circle of the moon druid elven princess from Highrollers
« Last Edit: 04 Dec 2017, 23:53 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #66 on: 04 Dec 2017, 22:19 »

The kind of sudden cut to evening makes me kind of feel like either there's going to be something that happens and gives Tilly some ground for keeping their job, or that Beatrice* is going to pull something so that Hannelore will see why she needs a personal assistant.

*Someone or someones will probably say this is something Tilly would/will do, but I preemptively disagree.

Maybe Juicy will be too loud and Hannelore will put Tilly’s negotiating skills to the test.  If she can takeover her lease then the job is hers.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #67 on: 04 Dec 2017, 23:14 »

There's not really much to say about today's strip. It's a bridge with a silly joke at the end. I'm just glad that Jeph hasn't decided to keep pushing Tilly into our face for the rest of the first day.

We are reminded of something important though, something that I think everyone can profitably apply to real life: If someone is annoyed about someone or something, making a cute joke about it might not have the outcome that you hoped it would! What Hannelore needs right now is a cup of her calming tea, not Winslow attempting to be smart or cute; she has Faye and Claire for that!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #68 on: 04 Dec 2017, 23:20 »

(click to show/hide)
There's also the heavily implied notion that Shepherd Book is an ex-Operative, and that the Operative is likely going to go down a similar route himself post-conclusion, which would require a pretty drastic perspective shift from amorality compared to the much smaller one of misguided utilitarianism. Not impossible, but seems less likely.

But hey, it's all fiction, so whatevs. :D

The comics, that fill in some of the story give Shepherd Books back story.
(click to show/hide)

Back on topic, negotiating Juicy's departure would be a great service to Hanners. Let's see how it plays out.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

gopher

« Reply #69 on: 04 Dec 2017, 23:48 »

Patrons,  almost by definition, have swallowed the JJ koolaid.

gopher

« Reply #70 on: 04 Dec 2017, 23:49 »

Winslow, funnier in one word than Tilly managed in a month.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 05 Dec 2017, 00:07 »

I did mention that their opinion isn't unanimous. So no, that's nonsense.

Smallest

• Curry sauce
« Reply #72 on: 05 Dec 2017, 00:22 »

Maybe Juicy will be too loud and Hannelore will put Tilly’s negotiating skills to the test.  If she can takeover her lease then the job is hers.

If there is any notion of Hannelore turning into her mother, I want it to be via her Juicy rivalry.

gopher

« Reply #73 on: 05 Dec 2017, 00:50 »

I did mention that their opinion isn't unanimous. So no, that's nonsense.

Good to know being as Admin allows you to read minds.

IICIH here. Tova is not an administrator. This wasn't up to community standards, PM next
« Last Edit: 05 Dec 2017, 09:45 by Is it cold in here? »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #74 on: 05 Dec 2017, 01:41 »

I just enjoy the comic and enjoy the fora.  I also refuse to turn off my adblocker for any reason, so I figure tossing artists a little bit of money is only fair.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

KevxD

• Emoticontraindication
  • n00b
« Reply #75 on: 05 Dec 2017, 01:56 »

I voted 4. Tilly doesn't inspire any strong emotion in me, I don't like her, I don't hate her, she's just a bit boring. I'll be happy when this arc moves along.

On a separate note, I found today's comic quite confusing grammatically. The they/them pronoun usage is going to take some getting used to. 
The skyline was beautiful on fire, all twisted metal stretching upwards, everything washed in a thin orange haze
I said: "Kiss me, you're beautiful - these are truly the last days"
You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream or a fever

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #76 on: 05 Dec 2017, 02:02 »

On the other hand, they do have the insistence, and energy, to warrant the plural, quite aside from anything else.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #77 on: 05 Dec 2017, 03:13 »

SPATHE-HAM-ELORE !

(Spam-elore?)

Qualm: "tilly 4 lyfe"  ???
(SHUDDER!)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #78 on: 05 Dec 2017, 03:32 »

Sorry, can't read yours.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #79 on: 05 Dec 2017, 03:51 »

Hmmm... has Winslow been working out?  He's sitting on the couch with Hanners and is seeing her pretty much eye-to-eye, but in 3543 he's almost a full head shorter than Hanners when standing.  Makes me wonder if the Regular Boy Deluxe features a variable-length spine with automatic self-adjusting spacers. :D

Winslow is sitting up straight. Hannelore isn’t.

Of course robots have excellent posture!
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

dutchrvl

« Reply #80 on: 05 Dec 2017, 05:48 »

Pardon my language, but that is, in my opinion of course, absolute BS (or my personal favorite, horse-S).
I am not a die-hard JJ fan or agree with every choice he makes in his art, but I do enjoy his (and several other) webcomics.
Personally I think it is no more than fair to compensate somebody for providing me with a product I enjoy on a regular basis. Plus, let's not forget that the minimum level of $1 per month is a laughable amount considering you get about 20 comics for that.

I have no problem giving up 1 chain-provided hot beverage per month in order to support several webauthors, and I am sure there are plenty of others like me. Nothing to do with drinking an author's 'koolaid'.

Then again, I am also one of those odd people that sometimes donates a small amount for freeware, Wikipedia, or other services that technically I wouldn't have to pay for. Shocker, I know. :-)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #81 on: 05 Dec 2017, 07:04 »

I have to say that Hannelore looks completely exhausted after having to deal with Tilly for a day. That is the exact opposite of how a personal assistant is supposed to make you feel. She’s spending more time and energy managing Tilly than Tilly is saving her.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #82 on: 05 Dec 2017, 07:13 »

Hopefully next installment will be Bubbles & Faye related, or possibly Marten at work.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #83 on: 05 Dec 2017, 07:33 »

I have to say that Hannelore looks completely exhausted after having to deal with Tilly for a day.

In all fairness, we have seen Hannelore come home from Coffee of Doom in a worse state than this.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #84 on: 05 Dec 2017, 07:42 »

Yes but, in this case, nothing has exploded on her or caught fire. It just took one aggressive personality to do this to her, not a day of bad luck!
~~~~

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #85 on: 05 Dec 2017, 08:43 »

Moderator Comment Very inappropriate. Each fan has valid opinion, patron or not. It's incredibly tasteless and insulting to compare Jeph to a mass murdering cult leader and other fans to the victims.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #86 on: 05 Dec 2017, 09:02 »

Let's put this in a different way then: Patron comments are not automatically a representative subset of the fandom.

Because Patron users commenting on QC will generally be those satisfied with and therefore donating towards Jeph's work, they would be disproportionately be those who liked the direction that the strip is currently going in and the characters upon which Jeph is focussing. Asking those voluntarily donating to a project if they are satisfied with it will always be more likely to be positive than negative.

I hope that Jeph is also reading his Twitter and Tumblr responses, which are less likely to be tilted towards being 'happy customers'.
~~~~

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #87 on: 05 Dec 2017, 09:23 »

- said by the person who just claimed to know the minds of an entire Patreon audience.

Cool story, bro.

Sidenote: being condescending about the paying audience of an artist whose work you continue to consume without joining said paying audience isn't a great look either.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #88 on: 05 Dec 2017, 10:11 »

Global Moderator Comment No flame wars please. The mod team will take care of the situation.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

« Reply #89 on: 05 Dec 2017, 10:49 »

On a separate note, I found today's comic quite confusing grammatically. The they/them pronoun usage is going to take some getting used to.
As noted before, I've used "they" in its various forms for a neuter third person singular pronoun in writing since about 1988, but I've never had my nose rubbed in just how damn confusing it is until this story arc.  I realize now that there's a reason speakers and listeners wanted singulars and plurals to begin with.

I haven't settle on a preference for one of the proposed alternatives, but I'll get there. 

But it won't be "mim."  Too much Disney baggage there.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #90 on: 05 Dec 2017, 11:21 »

No flame wars please. The mod team will take care of the situation.

Thanks, Admin. With all this Youtube-comment-style arguing, I was getting almost like this: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2683

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #91 on: 05 Dec 2017, 11:53 »

Then there is May .....  :roll:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

OldGoat

« Reply #92 on: 05 Dec 2017, 11:58 »

Then there is May .....  :roll:
Seriously.  There HAS to be someone to tell a humanoid AI, "Stand up straight!  Don't slouich like that!"

Another mystery of AI culture yet to be revealed.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #93 on: 05 Dec 2017, 11:58 »

Oh dear. Is this going to be another Dorapocalypse? Another Cataclairsm? What do we call it?

Armageddthem?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Storel

« Reply #94 on: 05 Dec 2017, 12:00 »

Maybe Winslow just has short legs.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #95 on: 05 Dec 2017, 12:11 »

Oh dear. Is this going to be another Dorapocalypse? Another Cataclairsm? What do we call it?

Armageddthem?
Oh, it’s hardly reached that level yet. So far this hasn’t even topped the Great Meat Loaf War of February 2016.

mof920

• Not quite a lurker
  • Hi! I don't know what to write here!
    • Generation Marmalade
« Reply #96 on: 05 Dec 2017, 14:12 »

I don't hate Tilly, but I don't love her either. The reason I'm rather infatuated with the idea of Tilly coming around is because it might force or inspire Hanners into doing more with the Chatham corporations. Something I've been wanting to happen since we were first introduced Beatrice.
Oooh! A signature!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #97 on: 05 Dec 2017, 14:19 »

Them, please and thank you.

zzyzx

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #98 on: 05 Dec 2017, 14:50 »

Not really. Not that I've noticed anyway. I guess they just find Tilly cute and amusing? I don't think they are thinking too hard about it.

Anathema, I know.

I wasn't expecting a thesis as much as "It was funny/cool/amazing when Tilly did
  • " raves. Liking things is always better than hating if possible, so I wouldn't mind seeing the appeal.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #99 on: 05 Dec 2017, 15:18 »

Let's put this in a different way then: Patron comments are not automatically a representative subset of the fandom.

Well, I mean, yes. Quite true.

The whole reason I brought up Patreon in the first place was not to claim that they somehow should be considered to be a true representation of how QC readers were responding. It was simply to point out that these forums are not a representative subset of the fandom. For the same reason that Patreon is not - very simply, they are both self-selecting samples. As I'm sure you're aware, self-selection will always introduce a bias.

I went back to #3625 on Patreon, and now I'm going to quote a couple of examples for zzyzx's benefit (so hard not to type xyzzy).

"I want Tilly in my life so bad, for real. I've spent this whole arc wishing I could afford a Tilly. With Tilly's exact intense, earnest personality. They could live with me. For real. "

Someone is a fan of earnestness, I guess. :)

Okay, a slightly calmer example.

"Panel 4 is excellent and I love it."

That was referring to the hand-stand panel. I'm sure there are others - possibly as many reasons as there are commenters.

Here's a counter-example, just for gopher.

"So now the unwanted assistant is further weaseling unbidden into Hannelore's life? Still creepy."

Bottom line: don't be so quick to airily dismiss the opinions of an entire community. Especially the community whose existence helps to ensure that you can continue to read and discuss the very comic we're all enjoying.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up