THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:57
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cracked sacks most staff  (Read 7180 times)

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
Cracked sacks most staff
« on: 05 Dec 2017, 01:49 »

Dunno where this goes.

Cracked.com sacked a lotta people today. Editors, directors, writers, performers. Not sure where the dust is gonna settle. Not shuttering entirely, not yet.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
Re: Cracked sacks most staff
« Reply #1 on: 05 Dec 2017, 09:02 »

I looked this up but the only thing with an article was One Angry Gamer and the last half of the article was GamerGate stuff.

John Cheese, Cody Johnston, Tom Reimann and Josh Sargent tweeted about not working there anymore. Cheese tweeted afterwards he wasn't mad at Cracked. Dunno how to embed tweets on mobile.

Still, this is worrying.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2 on: 05 Dec 2017, 09:16 »

John Cheese, Cody Johnston, Tom Reimann and Josh Sargent tweeted about not working there anymore. Cheese tweeted afterwards he wasn't mad at Cracked. Dunno how to embed tweets on mobile.
You can just paste the URl and remove mobile. from mobile.twitter.com.

I don't read Cracked much, but every time I end up on their website I find something great. Hope they're not in serious trouble.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #3 on: 05 Dec 2017, 13:45 »

Lotta people gone. Swaim and Adam Ganzer left in the last few months, as did Soren Bowie (though his was to take a job on American Dad). Jack O'Brien left even earlier. People cut from all over the company. And who knows what the state of the freelancers is.

Not a lot that can be talked about openly yet. But what people can say, just points to what's happening everywhere on the Internet: media monetization is getting weird again. Scripps must not feel Cracked was hitting targets they wanted them to.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #4 on: 05 Dec 2017, 14:11 »

You can just paste the URl and remove mobile. from mobile.twitter.com.

Ah, thank you. I actually use the app so if you copy it using the arrow it doesn't even have the mobile part. Easier than I thought.

I'll really miss Cody on Some News and Daniel O'Brien on Obsessive Pop Culture Disorder. After Hours already seemed to be transitioning solely to the new group now that Soren Bowie was gone and Michael Swaim quit in October.
I wonder if some might go the way of former Buzzfeed producers and make their own channels and make their own version of content, but the difference there was those were mostly video personalities who quit.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #5 on: 13 Dec 2017, 15:33 »

After Hours already seemed to be transitioning solely to the new group now that Soren Bowie was gone and Michael Swaim quit in October.

This is a thing I’ve been wondering about. Cody was 1/4 of that new group. So... is After Hours over, or does the new group find a new person?
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2017, 16:28 »

Oh, good point. I forgot he was in that.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2017, 16:46 »

It seems kinda appropriate that the thread-headline is abbreviated to "Cracked sacks ..." on my display ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2017, 01:14 »

Apparently After Hours has started again with different people, but I haven't checked. I haven't watched any of their video content since Does Not Compute proved to be a poor successor for Cracked TV.

There is definitely an air of committee thinking about this. 'People only give a shit about Cracked, they don't care who writes it.'

And what makes me sad as a fan of the arts is that I think they're probably right in most people's cases. So many people don't care who is in a movie, who wrote something, who sang something, they just want the thing itself - and then once it's finished (or more accurately, 30 seconds into it) onto the next thing and forget the first one exists.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2017, 17:40 »

Oh man, this is a huge bummer.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1]   Go Up