THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 16:40
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What new storyline do you want? (Choose two)

Marten & Claire - Claire wants Marten to be more proactive
- 11 (8.7%)
Faye & Bubbles - Is there anything more than friendship?
- 20 (15.9%)
Marten, Veronica and the Beans - Is Marten jealous of what a good stepmom she is to Sam?
- 8 (6.3%)
Faye, Bubbles & Sam - The further adventures of Union Robotics
- 20 (15.9%)
Dale and Marigold - A meditation on DLC and Micro-transactions
- 7 (5.6%)
Momo & May - We were teenage robots at large!
- 10 (7.9%)
Hannelore & Sven - The're clearly friends but what do they do together?
- 11 (8.7%)
Dora and Emily - A double-act making double-lattes!
- 6 (4.8%)
MOAR TILLY! - Let's see what they can do beyond their relationship with Hannelore!
- 6 (4.8%)
Brun, Elliott & Clinton - Lives collide at The Horrible Revelation
- 21 (16.7%)
Other (Please specify in your comment)
- 6 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3631 to 3635 (11th to 15th December 2017  (Read 53268 times)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
Re: WCDT Strips 3631 to 3635 (11th to 15th December 2017
« Reply #150 on: 14 Dec 2017, 01:15 »

At the very least, we'll have tomorrow's comic. There's also Beatrice's reaction; I think she'll simply not understand, and quite possibly blame Tilly - the great position Hanners imagines may well fail to materialise.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #151 on: 14 Dec 2017, 01:37 »

I knew that Tilly would come apart when this moment came. The problem is because I think that Hannelore is so much nicer than Beatrice that Tilly doesn't want to leave! Poor thing!

Anyway, I'm putting my marker down now: Tomorrow, there will be a twist. Either we will meet Tilly's dad or a heartbroken Tilly will be sitting on a park bench, afraid to return to tell Beatrice that they've failed when either an angel (Marten) or a demon (Spookybot) appears and offers them an alternative to throwing themself on Beatrice's mercy.

FWIW, Tilly as the 'public front face' of Spookybot's plots appeals to me as does Tilly getting a job at the college library.

BTW: Am I the only one who heard an echo of Kryten in Red Dwarf being unable to insult Rimmer in that last panel?
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2017, 01:57 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #152 on: 14 Dec 2017, 01:52 »

Beatrice's mercy is sharp and pointy. Best not to throw oneself on it.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #153 on: 14 Dec 2017, 01:55 »

Mercy is the name of her favourite alligator.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #155 on: 14 Dec 2017, 02:39 »

*sigh* OK, I can see where this is leading - kind-hearted Hannelore is upset by the display of forlorn whimpery-ness by Tilly and (much to her own discomfort) finds some kind of more permanent employment for Tilly despite not needing it...  :roll:

...Also, I wrote "other" in the poll: Emily is disturbed by the seemingly aggressive reactions by Tilly and Winslow towards the spiders in the basement and tries to open a meaningful dialogue between Coffee of Doom staff and the resident arachnids....
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #156 on: 14 Dec 2017, 03:07 »

oh god

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #157 on: 14 Dec 2017, 03:46 »

I don't like Tilly. I don't know know if we're supposed to find them charming or what. But anyone who can't take no as an answer sets off immediate alarm bells for me. Hopefully the next panel isn't Hannelore changing her mind, although I see it coming.

KevxD

• Emoticontraindication
  • n00b
« Reply #158 on: 14 Dec 2017, 03:48 »

Tilly then got another job, in another state, and was very happy and never appeared in QC again.

/arc
The skyline was beautiful on fire, all twisted metal stretching upwards, everything washed in a thin orange haze
I said: "Kiss me, you're beautiful - these are truly the last days"
You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream or a fever

Absimilliard

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #159 on: 14 Dec 2017, 04:18 »

Good bye and good riddance, Tilly. Hopefully this leads to a confrontation between Hanners and her mother, with the former coming out on top. Establishing that no means no would be a nice victory.

oddtail

« Reply #160 on: 14 Dec 2017, 04:28 »

I don't hate Tilly as much as some forumites seem to, but I am not particularly interested in them, and I won't be sad if they stop appearing in the comic.

But I don't think that's how it will play out. Oh well.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #161 on: 14 Dec 2017, 04:34 »

And then, on the strip for the eighteenth of December,

Tilly
H-hello Ma'am! Your mother has refused to honor her agreement. 'This is why you get it in writing, dear!"
I will continue drawing a paycheck so long as i spend ten hours a day within twenty meters of your person. If I do not meet this metric, I will be fed to the laser sharks.

Hannelore
[pinching the bridge of her nose]
For fuck's sake, mother... 
Just going through life.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #162 on: 14 Dec 2017, 04:55 »

I will continue drawing a paycheck so long as i spend ten hours a day within twenty meters of your person

Which might still be accomplished by ousting Juicy.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #163 on: 14 Dec 2017, 05:42 »

...Also, I wrote "other" in the poll: Emily is disturbed by the seemingly aggressive reactions by Tilly and Winslow towards the spiders in the basement and tries to open a meaningful dialogue between Coffee of Doom staff and the resident arachnids....

...and succeeds at it. After all, it's Emily we're talking about. And after that, the nice people from the NSA come again to tell her to never, NEVER do that again. For some reason...

Still a better plot than that Tilly thing...
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2017, 05:59 by traroth »
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #164 on: 14 Dec 2017, 06:01 »

Where is the moral outrage at Taffy for refusing to use Hannelore's name???

:parrot:
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #165 on: 14 Dec 2017, 06:07 »

It wasn't 'refusal', it was 'psychological inability'. I've got a gut feeling that Tilly was abused pretty thoroughly by Beatrice.
~~~~

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #166 on: 14 Dec 2017, 06:18 »

My prediction: Tilly gets fired by Beatrice, ends up getting hired at CoD, and appears in every QC comic from then on.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #167 on: 14 Dec 2017, 06:59 »

My prediction: Tilly gets fired by Beatrice, ends up getting hired at CoD, and appears in every QC comic from then on.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #168 on: 14 Dec 2017, 07:01 »

It wasn't 'refusal', it was 'psychological inability'. I've got a gut feeling that Tilly was abused pretty thoroughly by Beatrice.

I do believe that the parrot indicated that Joe was not in the slightest bit serious about the moral outrage.

Hell, even the words "Moral outrage" indicates that.

Aaaaaaaand now you've jinxed us. Stay there, I'll get the torches and pitchforks for the rest of the forum.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #169 on: 14 Dec 2017, 07:36 »

I think Tilly will go the way of May - disappear for a while and then come back later.

Both characters are kind of obnoxious but have earned sympathies. Ugh.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #170 on: 14 Dec 2017, 07:47 »

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

dutchrvl

« Reply #171 on: 14 Dec 2017, 08:13 »

I think Tilly will go the way of May - disappear for a while and then come back later.

Interesting observation. Indeed, May also has shown some seriously appalling behavior that most of us would not tolerate. Yet, it appears to feel different for most of us (including myself). While I can't speak for others, for myself I think the difference is that May's behavior was sufficiently over-the-top outrageous plus displayed by an AI that it registered as 'comic joke', while Tilly's behavior and attitude are similar to people I have encountered and/or situations I have found myself in. 

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #172 on: 14 Dec 2017, 10:29 »

I think somebody earlier suggested that the Tilly-Claire punfest was the entire point of bringing Tilly into the story.
It looks like they were right.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #173 on: 14 Dec 2017, 11:00 »

I wonder if Tilly will end up working for Dora? Her getting a PA would make a lot of sense in terms of her story arc

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #174 on: 14 Dec 2017, 11:58 »

Interesting observation. Indeed, May also has shown some seriously appalling behavior that most of us would not tolerate. Yet, it appears to feel different for most of us (including myself). While I can't speak for others, for myself I think the difference is that May's behavior was sufficiently over-the-top outrageous plus displayed by an AI that it registered as 'comic joke'
Don't forget that when May was introduced, Dale always had the option of saying 'No. Go away.' even if that meant goin without his AR glasses for a day or two. Hanners was forced into this situation by her mother and Tilly.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

dutchrvl

« Reply #175 on: 14 Dec 2017, 12:49 »

I wonder if Tilly will end up working for Dora? Her getting a PA would make a lot of sense in terms of her story arc

Hm, you mean because she has slowly been hiring more people? In that sense yes, but she still runs just this one coffeeshop, not typically a situation in which you need or can even afford a PA. Now hiring her as a barista, maybe....

It would make more sense for her to end up working in some capacity for Union Robotics, giving Faye and Bubbles the opportunity to focus solely on running the repair shop itself. Since it's only the 2 of them, any time they don't have to spend on things like supplier negotiations, marketing, etc. would be a win.

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #176 on: 14 Dec 2017, 13:18 »

A subtle feeling of cautious optimism begins to wash over the land. Question is: Will it last?
Nah, I don't think so. Tomorrow Hanners will most likely feel the wrath of her mother when she comes around to tell Hanners in no uncertain terms that Ellicott-Chathams have a PA, period.

The kind thing to do would have been to let me live in my delusions, at least, until the next comic dropped.

But....*sniff* I guess...I can't even have that. :cry:

:laugh:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #177 on: 14 Dec 2017, 13:23 »

Hm, you mean because she has slowly been hiring more people? In that sense yes, but she still runs just this one coffeeshop, not typically a situation in which you need or can even afford a PA. Now hiring her as a barista, maybe....

It would make more sense for her to end up working in some capacity for Union Robotics, giving Faye and Bubbles the opportunity to focus solely on running the repair shop itself. Since it's only the 2 of them, any time they don't have to spend on things like supplier negotiations, marketing, etc. would be a win.

Depends, are Faye and Bubbles making enough money to afford a new employee? Are they even making enough to pay themselves? We don’t know the condition of the business to guess what state it’s in or even how well they’re doing.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #178 on: 14 Dec 2017, 13:33 »

Last time we saw them, Bubbles had to tell Faye to budget for food, and balance the books by starving herself. So I really doubt there'll be a budget for a PA. Dora's situation may be better, but as far as I remember, she's at the limit of the number of people she can hire, comfortably.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #179 on: 14 Dec 2017, 15:09 »

Makr my words, this is not the last we've seen of Tilly. We will see Tilly again, maybe even as Hanner's PA - after she's been shamed or coerced into changing her mind.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #180 on: 14 Dec 2017, 18:08 »

Makr my words, this is not the last we've seen of Tilly. We will see Tilly again, maybe even as Hanner's PA - after she's been shamed or coerced into changing her mind.

Not if they keep calling her Hannelannelannelore, we won't.  :-D

I also don't think this is the last we've seen of Tilly - simply because Jeph obviously seems to have fun writing her them (godsd**nfershizzlebuggeringdickwaffles ...  :x) - but now I'm wondering about their future development, and their future relationship with Hannelore. And about Hanner's future development. I can't see Hanners agreeing to the kind of boundary-violating remote-control gig that Beatrice originally had in mind when she sent Tilly. Doesn't mean this is the only thing Tilly could ever be for Hanners, and it's not a certainty that Hanners will forever stay with CoD. It was always clear that Hanner's stint as CoD-barrista was more of a therapeutic occupation than anything else - and it seems to have worked brilliantly. But therapy isn't supposed to be the rest of your life - which begs the question of what's next for Hanners? Maybe Beatrice will get what she wished for when she wished her to take a more active role as heir to the EC-empire. And maybe Ms.B will soon recall why people say one should be careful what one wishes for ... ? :evil:

Maybe Tilly is to become the Alfred to a reluctant Hannelore Wayne? I'd love to see Hanner's - maybe with Tilly's assistance - taking over E/C-corp's R&D department. Or maybe the "X-projects unit" of the R&D-department?  8-) (Including a surprisingly unsurprising reunion with Raven, of course)
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2017, 22:29 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #181 on: 14 Dec 2017, 20:30 »

:-D :laugh:

While I AM hoping this is Tilly's bye bye, I expect there will be a twist.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #182 on: 14 Dec 2017, 20:55 »

> Jeph obviously seems to have fun writing her

The mod team is still asking people to use Tilly's chosen pronouns. It turns out to be deeply meaningful to real-life non-binary people to see pronouns done right.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #183 on: 14 Dec 2017, 21:24 »

Had a thought. Now that the excellent Alice Grove is complete maybe move Brun, Claire and Tilly to their own strip where Mr Jaques can exercise his pun muscles and people who enjoy that kind of thing can read it?

Equivalent exchange means 3 characters from that strip would have to move to Questionable Content. 

As much as I like those 3 I'd accept their departure if it meant Ardent, Gavia, and Sedna could be worked into this story.  And there's plenty of diversity with those 3.  Gavia is a cyber woman, Sedna is a Maxwell Demon, and Ardent is...  blue. 

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #184 on: 14 Dec 2017, 21:31 »

Tilly is not going away, no matter how much readers don't like or, or how forced (mod edit)their arrival was both in and out of universe.
I feel pretty confident in making this declaration.
« Last Edit: 15 Dec 2017, 13:09 by Is it cold in here? »

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #185 on: 14 Dec 2017, 22:20 »

"Are humans really ready to communicate with another species? And, more frighteningly, what happens next -- when our efforts have drawn the attention of the other species to us?"

And are we really ready to deal with a singing cactus? (Heading over to Girls With Rimshots)
Let me know when it's over...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #186 on: 14 Dec 2017, 22:31 »

> Jeph obviously seems to have fun writing her

The mod team is still asking people to use Tilly's chosen pronouns. It turns out to be deeply meaningful to real-life non-binary people to see pronouns done right.

Gah! I intercepted four "her's" and thought I'd gotten 'em all - but of course there was one sneaky pronoun stealthing past in the ground-clutter sneakybuggeringsneak ...   :x

Sowwwy! :-\
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #187 on: 14 Dec 2017, 23:03 »

As I said before, trying and messing up is a lot more appreciated than not trying at all. :)

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #188 on: 15 Dec 2017, 00:48 »

Comic's up.
And I was right about today's strip being about Beatrice still wanting Tilly in place with Hanners
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #189 on: 15 Dec 2017, 00:55 »

Note also that, now that she does have Tilly's name down, not even mum's repeated use of "Taffy" has shaken it loose.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #190 on: 15 Dec 2017, 00:57 »

Oh, great, more Tilly...   :cry:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #191 on: 15 Dec 2017, 00:58 »

If Beatrice is calling Tilly "Taffy" to their father's face, that could sour the negotiations a bit...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #192 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:15 »

So, all the Tilly-stuff up to this point was just the warmup for the real story..?!
Great...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #193 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:20 »

Well done to those who guessed Tilly had a prestigious parent that Beatrice is in business with.

Good luck confronting your mother, Hannelore.

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #194 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:24 »

Because of COURSE Hannelore couldn't speak to her mother WITHOUT Tilly

(click to show/hide)

'nuff said >.>

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #195 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:26 »

Did I say Alfred? Seems more like Tilly'll be the Robin to Hanner's Batwoman ...

P.S.: Can you say "Tilly'll be" three times in a row, quickly?

P.P.S.: And what do you say to the people looking at you funny when you do?  :-D

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #196 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:29 »

Firstly, I want to blow my own trumpet a bit: Almost from the start, I speculated that Tilly's 'job' with Hannelore was a 'favour' Beatrice was doing for Tilly's father, who had some kind of power over her (at least to inconvenience her if nothing else).

Now, I can't help but wonder where Jeph has decided to take this. Naturally, Hannelore is going to confront her mother but to what end? The possibilities are near endless. Examples range from Hannelore cutting off all contact with Beatrice (preferring to do without her allowance from her rather than be involved in her plots) up to her deciding that her mother needs to removed from her position for the greater good (which may lead to her doing a Deal with the Devil, or at least Spookybot). She will also almost certainly take in Tilly as a sort of refugee and we will see Tilly get a job of some sort in Northampton.

The possibility of Hannelore launching a coup attempt against her mother is far less likely as it would effectively be writing Hannelore out of the story. However, I do expect this arc to have long-term consequences, especially given Hannelore's stated desire to do more with her fame, position and heritage. It is even possible that she may be unknowingly playing her role in a drama that began before her birth.
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #197 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:38 »

P.S.: Can you say "Tilly'll be" three times in a row, quickly?

P.P.S.: And what do you say to the people looking at you funny when you do?  :-D

Is that a Beetlejuice kind of thing?

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #198 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:40 »

Because of COURSE Hannelore couldn't speak to her mother WITHOUT Tilly

Hannelore will have a hard time denying the usefulness of Tilly if she asks her to book the whole trip. Which makes the trip pointless...

Crap, it's a paradox!

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #199 on: 15 Dec 2017, 01:40 »

Firstly, I want to blow my own trumpet a bit ...

The things you make me look up, Ben ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up