THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 14:29
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Guesses to the first panel of each of this week's comics?

Amanda or Evie asks how long Faye and Bubbles have been dating
Evie has a horrible realization
Melon is their waitress and the bug thing was just a metaphor.
Evie apologizes to Bubbles back at U.R.
Melon reports back the next day that the "robo-penis" seems much happier and is "rather attached to Aurthur".
Amanda on the floor of Union Robtics laughing uncontrollably  followed by a flashback alluding to the above option.
Evie asks Bubbles to critic her presentation.
Melon invites Pintsize over to play with her new pet
Brun, Clinton, Elliott and Reneé standing in awkward silence.
Emily bumps into Melon as she's leaving Union Robotics
Steve eats cereal
Martin and Claire eat cereal
Marigold eats cereal for dinner

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3661-3665 (22nd to 26th January 2018)  (Read 47349 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT Strips 3661-3665 (22nd to 26th January 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 23 Jan 2018, 23:42 »

As Jeph put it in the news post space today, Faye is oblivious. I think that she also probably has disregarded all of Bubbles hints, partly because I don't think that she has ever consciously considered this but mainly because (and this is sad) I can't see Faye seeing anyone loving her in that manner ever again without being led to that realisation by the nose.

So how are we to interpret Faye thinking back to Bubbles calling her beautiful as she's about to fall asleep, smiling and blushing? That isn't really something you do with just a friend.

The key element is 'conscious realisation'. It is probably related to Faye's discussion about ideal partners in this strip. IMO at least, Jeph is just reminding us here that Faye isn't consciously fully (or even more than slightly partly) aware of Bubbles being attracted to her but, on a subconscious level, a part of her is aware and is more than willing to reciprocate.

This is realistic, IMO. I don't think most people take one look at someone and say 'yes'. They have to fight back against their own neuroses and self-doubts first as well as learn to interpret subconscious messages on both side. No, I'm not expecting any quick resolutions here, BTW.

Classic setup, this; the protagonist goes to find their best friend a suitable SO but everyone they identify is either “unworthy” or makes them feel jealous for no obvious reason (only to them of course) until the eventual epiphany/kiss.

Basically, yeah: It's a classic romcom plot framework. I wonder if Jeph's just going to knock it down quickly or if he's planning on play this out, either seriously or satirically.

Well, maybe tomorrow we'll see ... wait...

*runs off to check Patreon*

Ha. Well. Anyway. As you were.  :mrgreen:

Please don't do that; it's not polite.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #51 on: 24 Jan 2018, 00:38 »

Grin. love panel 6 of today (3663)

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #52 on: 24 Jan 2018, 00:52 »

Always fascinating when an artist who actively dislikes this forum and a large portion of his fanbase for shipping has his own characters ship unironically.

The sort of shipping that is discouraged is when there are no indications in the comic that the relationship might or even could happen. With Bubbles and Faye, it's been made clear enough that Bubbles has feelings for Faye, though maybe not the other way round.

Anyway, Amanda and Evie's wide-eyed enthusiasm about it does them no favours. I wouldn't want to be seen behaving like that.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #53 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:05 »

an artist who actively dislikes this forum

I think that was successfully changed through 2011 and the following years.  Now, instead of "actively dislikes" I suggest "tolerates with studied indifference".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #54 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:24 »

I think that was successfully changed through 2011 and the following years.  Now, instead of "actively dislikes" I suggest "tolerates with studied indifference".

Hmmm...
I was not aware of that!
Sounds like the "Oldfield School of Fandom" to me.

"Yes, these people are responsible for me living the lifestyle that I have, and appreciate my artistic output... but their all weirdos and I want nothing to do with them."   ... kinda thing ??

That saddens me.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Jub3r7

• Not quite a lurker
  • We'll burn that bridge when we come to it
« Reply #55 on: 24 Jan 2018, 02:46 »

The line of dialogue from 3663 reminds me of the "artificial-intelligence-based interactive game" Façade from 2005

if you say "melon", Bubbles and Faye will stand there in shock for a moment and remove you from the premises.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2018, 22:16 by Jub3r7 »

ImVeryAngryItsNotButter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #56 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:14 »

Faye, next strip would be a great time to say "just kidding."

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #57 on: 24 Jan 2018, 03:21 »

I admit that I find that a little confounding myself.

Edit: Whoops. Totally failed to notice there was another page.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2018, 14:49 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #58 on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:47 »

Well, maybe tomorrow we'll see ... wait...

*runs off to check Patreon*

Ha. Well. Anyway. As you were.  :mrgreen:

Chapeau! The cheerful sadism, the casual delivery: Most inspiring!

I mean, you'll still die a slow, painful death for this, but: Well done!
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #59 on: 24 Jan 2018, 04:57 »

So, more stretching…
And at this point it seems almost strange to me that none of the other characters has dropped a hint or two (or ten) on poor oblivious Faye.

I think Dora did outright ask her at one point, "Do you have a crush on Bubbles?" (possibly jokingly), to which Faye responded, "What? No!" Can't remember the comic number but I think it was around the time they were getting Union Robotics set up.

I agree with Castlerook's interpretation of Faye and Bubbles's relationship - i.e. that Bubbles's feelings are romantic whereas Faye's are platonic. I like Evie as a character as well; I get the impression Jeph wanted to expand on AI lore quite a bit this week, and doing it through a uni student who's studying AI is a good way of having that information come across more naturally.

Nice to see an indirect appearance from Pintsize as well; he doesn't seem to get much comic time nowadays and I must say I've been missing his comedic moments :P

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #60 on: 24 Jan 2018, 05:27 »

Slowly, everybody is aware of the situation, except Faye.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #61 on: 24 Jan 2018, 05:31 »

Nice to see an indirect appearance from Pintsize as well; he doesn't seem to get much comic time nowadays and I must say I've been missing his comedic moments :P

So it seems Union Robotics hasn't delivered Pintsize's order...

Yet...
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2018, 07:05 by traroth »

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #62 on: 24 Jan 2018, 06:44 »

Classic setup, this; the protagonist goes to find their best friend a suitable SO but everyone they identify is either “unworthy” or makes them feel jealous for no obvious reason (only to them of course) until the eventual epiphany/kiss.

Basically, yeah: It's a classic romcom plot framework. I wonder if Jeph's just going to knock it down quickly or if he's planning on play this out, either seriously or satirically.
It's also a classic tragic plot. Unrequited love is a powerful plot device. Given how much Jeph has kicked Faye around in this comic since the end of the ClaireAndMarten arc, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him kick Faye around some more. It would make Claire look good: this time because she saw the possibility for an affair between Bubbles and Faye but kept her mouth shut. It would make Amanda and Evie look like the kinds of shippers Jeph doesn't like (and thus showing us why he doesn't like said shippers.) It would make an interesting counterpoint to ClaireAndMarten: "OK, so you don't like happy romantic plots? Great, I'll give you an unhappy romantic plot instead and we can see how you like that!"

Oh, and spiteful character abuse. Never forget the potential for pure and unwarranted sadism.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #63 on: 24 Jan 2018, 06:54 »

Hmmm...
I was not aware of that!

"Yes, these people are responsible for me living the lifestyle that I have, and appreciate my artistic output... but their all weirdos and I want nothing to do with them."   ... kinda thing ??

That saddens me.

To be fair to Jeph, at one point the forum bordered on "reprehensible" ( and, a few times, crossed it) until the mods and admins got the power to create and enforce rules of civility.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #64 on: 24 Jan 2018, 06:59 »

Faye's cluelessness knows no bounds.  :-D :laugh: :lol:

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #65 on: 24 Jan 2018, 07:01 »

So Faye basically friendzoned Bubbles...

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #66 on: 24 Jan 2018, 07:01 »

Hmmm...
I was not aware of that!

That saddens me.

To be fair to Jeph, at one point the forum bordered on "reprehensible" ( and, a few times, crossed it) until the mods and admins got the power to create and enforce rules of civility.

Long before my time, no doubt...

And OMG did I REALLY type THEIR instead of THEY'RE !?!?!?
(I'm more bothered about THAT!)  :)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #67 on: 24 Jan 2018, 07:47 »

Slowly, everybody is aware of the situation, except Faye.

As a general rule, this is how one does these things in romantically- or comedically-themed fiction.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #68 on: 24 Jan 2018, 08:00 »

Hmmm...
I was not aware of that!

That saddens me.

He is kinda fond of us, though. After all, we did do a guest strip for him.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #69 on: 24 Jan 2018, 09:06 »

You think Faye, even if she was totally aware of her feelings, would say "hell yes I have a crush on Bubbles!"

...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #70 on: 24 Jan 2018, 09:12 »

That saddens me.

When you look at how this forum reacted to, for instance, Tilly, a character Jeph actively enjoyed drawing, can you really blame him?

What reason does this forum give him to like it?
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #71 on: 24 Jan 2018, 09:50 »

Always fascinating when an artist who actively dislikes this forum and a large portion of his fanbase for shipping has his own characters ship unironically.
The sort of shipping that is discouraged is when there are no indications in the comic that the relationship might or even could happen. With Bubbles and Faye, it's been made clear enough that Bubbles has feelings for Faye, though maybe not the other way round.

Anyway, Amanda and Evie's wide-eyed enthusiasm about it does them no favours. I wouldn't want to be seen behaving like that.
It's been made clear to the audience, but Amanda and Evie have absolutely zero hints; not from Bubbles, and certainly not from the oblivious Faye.

It's also entirely counter to Faye's demonstrated and stated romantic/sexual orientations, which Amanda as her sister should be aware of; Faye is heterosexual, and has repeatedly rejected robosexuality (sometimes not even when Pintsize was propositioning). Shipping Bubbles with Faye was even deflated 100 or so strips ago when Claire did it (and tied into crack shipping like Sherlock/Mr. Darcy). Rhetorical question: would we or he be as tolerant of a ship if it were a heterosexual couple were shipping a lesbian with a guy they worked and hung out with? Fin with Clarence?

He's always been hypocritical about it; the thing that really set him off was Hannelore shippers, but he also drew her lusting after firefighters to the point of leaping into their arms, on good enough drugs when we met her that she could smoke, and a practice date with Sven. However, we aren't allowed to take any of that as an indication she might be able to work past her neuroses she explicitly wants to conquer some day and speculate about why she would cross that Rubicon and who she would do so for. It's a general "hands off fanbase, I'm the only one allowed to play with my toys!" attitude.

Hmmm...
I was not aware of that!

That saddens me.
Around the time that Tumblr led him to drink himself into stabbing his hand for the crime of making Marigold self conscious and Marten socially awkward, he also came on the forums and basically ranted about how their denizens disgusted him.*

*Timeframe may be unreliable.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2018, 10:00 by Eastrim »
That is of course, the correct answer, both logically and according to Occam's Razor. As such, it has no place here.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #72 on: 24 Jan 2018, 10:25 »

This could be as simple as Faye having no same-sex history or fantasies and therefore having a blind spot.

A Freudian would say that if someone avoids a subject that consistently, it's because they know the subject exists and are unwilling to address it.

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ImVeryAngryItsNotButter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #73 on: 24 Jan 2018, 10:38 »

Has anyone else noticed Brun sitting in the booth in the back?

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #74 on: 24 Jan 2018, 11:13 »

At least Faye didn’t jump to a further conclusion and try to hook Bubbles up with Punchbot.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #75 on: 24 Jan 2018, 11:27 »

Around the time that Tumblr led him to drink himself into stabbing his hand for the crime of making Marigold self conscious and Marten socially awkward, he also came on the forums and basically ranted about how their denizens disgusted him.*

It was not these forums which drove him to that; we made the guest comic for him while he couldn't draw because of the stabbing.

While he thinks much of what fans say and do is crazy, since I became a mod at the start of 2011 he has neither threatened to close the forums down nor called them a "fetid sewer", both of which he did in 2010.  Being second-guessed by fans all the time may not be to his taste - but he is still paying for this place.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2018, 11:32 by pwhodges »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #76 on: 24 Jan 2018, 11:33 »

Has anyone else noticed Brun sitting in the booth in the back?
If Roko asked me I'd have to say, "It kinda looked like her, but I couldn't tell for sure.  Probably a woman, definitely brown hair, maybe dreads."

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #77 on: 24 Jan 2018, 14:38 »

It's also entirely counter to Faye's demonstrated and stated romantic/sexual orientations, which Amanda as her sister should be aware of; Faye is heterosexual, and has repeatedly rejected robosexuality (sometimes not even when Pintsize was propositioning).

One could argue that Amanda 'shipping' Faye in a gay relationship should be taken as evidence for Faye's sexual orientation (possibly) including (possibly unacknowledged or even subconscious) homoerotic elements precisely because the former should be in a very good position to assess her sister's sexual orientation due to long familiarity. By the same token, one could even additionally argue that Amanda's ships should be given greater weight than any reader's ships.

For example: We, the audience, might not know how badly Faye crushed on her biology teacher in 8th grade (or vigorously denied any such crush, despite virtually drooling every time Mrs. Applebaum entered the classroom), but Amanda would be in a position to know.

Counter-argument: We don't know how perceptive Amanda is, how much opportunity she had to observe Faye in social settings including potential mates and how open the two were with each other. I would have strangled my sistermonster for "putting her nose where it doesn't belong", or even hinting at a possible intention for doing so - and took it for granted that those feelings were mutual.

He's always been hypocritical about it; the thing that really set him off was Hannelore shippers, but he also drew her lusting after firefighters to the point of leaping into their arms, on good enough drugs when we met her that she could smoke, and a practice date with Sven. However, we aren't allowed to take any of that as an indication she might be able to work past her neuroses she explicitly wants to conquer some day and speculate about why she would cross that Rubicon and who she would do so for. It's a general "hands off fanbase, I'm the only one allowed to play with my toys!" attitude.

Shipping is not the same as speculating about character X lusting for character Y, or as an author making explicit the desires of one of their characters (or that the character has indeed any sexual desires at all).

Shipping, initially derived from the word relationship, is the desire by fans for two or more people, either real-life people or fictional characters (in film, literature, television etc.) to be in a relationship, romantic or otherwise. It is considered a general term for fans' emotional involvement with the ongoing development of a relationship in a work of fiction. Shipping often takes the form of creative works, including fanfiction and fan art, most often published on the internet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_(fandom)

By this definition, one could even ask whether an author is even capable of 'shipping', since they have 'divine knowledge and prescience' about their fictional universe - knowledge excludes the possibility of speculation. You can't make a guess when you know. Caveat: Authors are (rumoured to be) people, and people change their minds all the time. I guess one could say that an author is incapable of speculating about their own intentions for future developments in their creations, because they know what their intentions are.

Not even portraying characters in the comic shipping (Amanda, Evie) is shipping - remember Magritte's pipe that wasn't?

As to the given examples (I'll omit adding the 'An author's capability to speculate is significantly limited' each time):
  • Jeph portraying Hanners as being attracted to (unspecific, hot, clean) firefighters is not shipping - there's no indication that Hanners desires a relationship with a specific firefighter, or firefighters in general, the only things that can be concluded from the incident are that Hanners experiences heterosexual attraction, that she prefers handsome men ... and that her fantasies, should she have any, might include the one or other (hot, clean) firefighter.

• Jeph portraying Hanners jumping into the arms of a specific (hot, clean) firefighter is not shipping - there's no indication that Hanners desires any relationship of any type with that specific firefighter. The only things that can be concluded are that Hanners experiences heterosexual attraction, that she can be just as impulsive as she's obsessive about planning her live (that' no contradiction in OCD - intrusive thoughts are ego-dystonous, i.e. they are perceived as not in line with the personality of the one experiencing them - that's at least half of what makes it so scary and hard to tolerate. Also: personal experience, again) ... and that her OCD has a remarkably selective memory about the whole "aversion to physical contact"-thingy.

(click to show/hide)

• Good enough drugs can absolutely switch your OCD clean off. Personal experience with SNRI's - it literally felt like an engine failing to start for lack of fuel (i.e. intensity of fear). A psychologist specializing in the treatment of OCD with extensive clinical experience regarding relevant medication told me that this is exactly the way it should work & feel like when I recounted that experience to her. Shit, even something as profane as beer can help you 'snap out of it' - just not reliably so & the side-effects really aren't worth it.

• When did Sven and Hannelore have relationship, sexual intercourse or ... anything besides a mutually enjoyable and thoroughly chaste date ending with a chaste hug after which they parted ways on good terms as far as we know? (Jeph can't even ship people using his comic - at best, he can fan other peoples' speculations. The 'worst' thing you can accuse Jeph off is teasing the shippers, only to treat them to a metaphorical cold shower by letting Sven & Hanners laugh at them through the 4th wall ("Herp!" "Derp!")

However, we aren't allowed to take any of that as an indication she might be able to work past her neuroses she explicitly wants to conquer some day and speculate about why she would cross that Rubicon and who she would do so for.

I don't see any indication that Jeph has a even expressed a dislike of anyone seeing something as indication that Hanners might be able to "work past her OCD" - it would be unrealistic to expect otherwise, since OCD can be treated with very, very good chance of significant improvement (Exihibit A: Haven't had a brainlock in years. Still crazy, though ...). And Jeph appears to know all about how "working past" looks like: My opinion as someone who lived with the condition for ... at least fifteen years (longer, depending on definitions), Jeph has treated us to a magnificently detailed, sensitive and realistic portrayal of how "making progress with your OCD" (can) look(s) like.
 I guess what he is averse to is people speculating about Hanners wanting to make progress so she can finally bang, or even worse: That she wants to make progress so she can finally bang specific person XYZ. "Oh! I have a crush on XYZ! Finally a motivation to get over my OCD! I have ... five weeks to get bang-ready before the risk of someone snatching them away becomes unacceptable" is a naive fantasy - progress doesn't happen on those short timescales (also, it's more than a bit insulting, as it implies that people who suffer for years merely lack sufficient motivation to make an effort with therapy. That's clueless, dumb, insulting - and completely wrong).

And 'crossing the rubicon' hints at a completely wrong picture of the condition: You can't 'push' your way through brainlock, it's not a panic attack, or phobia, it's like the taskmanager of your Win7 installation going tits-up, categorically refusing to end any processes scheduled for termination & bombarding you with error messages (very, very intense messages) - in fact, pushing yourself way beyond your comfort zone is a pretty good way of achieving regression). If Hanners forced herself to bang her crush, it would do nothing for her OCD - in fact, it might make it worse. OCD is not phobia, and treatment is completely different: With phobia, you can sort of "put the phobia under siege until it runs out of fear" by helping the afflicted endure an episode until their body runs out of the required transmitters - that doesn't work with OCD (Yes, I've asked my therapist exactly that question. And got exactly that answer: "It's not phobia, I can't simply make you stand on a tall building, or pet a spider and keep you in the situation until your body is no longer capable of being afraid. That would do nothing for you". One of the many, many, very, very unhappy questions along the lines of "Why doesn't this shit go away already?" I've asked them).

Secondly: Trust me, OCD provides it's own motivation for getting over it - the 'finally getting to bang' is merely an added bonus. It's an intensely unpleasant experience besides limiting your life severely, and I've never heard any indication that this is any different for asexuals. Since Jeph has personal experience with an anxiety disorder (not sure whether it was OCD, though), I'm inclined to believe that his view is similar.

Furthermore, there's no guarantee that the topic of the intrusive thoughts in OCD stays constant in any afflicted - it didn't for me. I wouldn't think it unrealistic for Hanners to return to COD after three years as a sex-addict living in a chaotically messy hotel room ... but a sex-addicted messy accountant agonizing about possible mistakes in her latest report (Dirt, otoh ... yeah, that would be a leap). OCD is like a director who shoots the same movie again and again with different actors, at different sets, with slight different scripts - at age 35, I was completely comfortable discussing topics and exploring thoughts that would have sent me reeling at age 16 - but I was still experiencing symptoms of OCD. It had simply changed scripts.

Examples of different 'thematic complexes' of intrusive thoughts - roughly the most common "intrusive thought 'genres'"

(They're all directed by Werner Herzog based on a script that David Lynch discarded in first Semester ... and yes, Klaus Kinski is a frequent contributor, and no, the stuff he does still has little to do with acting in any conventional meaning of the term, but Werner likes to hate him, so ...)

It's a general "hands off fanbase, I'm the only one allowed to play with my toys!" attitude.

That's neither particularly unfair, nor hypocritical - Fairness implies that the set of people under consideration are all equal regarding certain properties. There's nothing a priori unfair about the position that different sets of rules should apply to authors and fans. And Jeph never said that nobody couldn't write Pintsize/Marigold slashfic, merely that he wouldn't be supporting them financially by hosting their writings on his server (Much less did he forbid anyone anything beyond his powers as proprietor of this website here).

I joined in 2011 when 'Era PwHodges' was already a thing, and I know the 'Wrath of Jeph'-episode only from browsing the threads back then (Somewhere around November 2010, if memory serves?). The only Tumblr-specific things I've ever seen from Jeph were more in the vein of 'amused exasperation' - I've never seen anything that would lead me to believe that Tumblr would have "led" Jeph to drinking or stabbing his hand, or being the reason for his tatto, or ... anything, really. Is there maybe evidence for that claim hidden somewhere deep inside the bowels of the forum somewhere?
« Last Edit: 25 Jan 2018, 08:51 by Case »
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #78 on: 24 Jan 2018, 14:54 »

Sorry about the Patreon thing. I guess I like to plug it occasionally, but that was the wrong way to go about it.

With regards to the shipping discussion, on further reflection, given that shipping is such a common thing nowadays, it's not really surprising that Jeph would at some point depict characters indulging in the practice. They do say you should write what you know.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #79 on: 24 Jan 2018, 15:20 »

I guess one could say that an author is incapable of speculating about their own intentions for future developments in their creations, because they know what their intentions are.

OTOH, it is not uncommon for writers to say they do not know their character's mind until it appears in the writing, and that sometimes they are surprised.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #80 on: 24 Jan 2018, 15:39 »

By the bye, in case you didn't look at the bottom of the linked strip, I use the royal "we" very literally.

Shipping is enough of a cultural phenomenon that Jeph would be silly not to use it with a few of his characters (especially Tai, Marigold, and Claire - all who have admitted to writing fanfic).
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #81 on: 24 Jan 2018, 15:44 »

I wonder if it's time to excavate the old "OCD Soapbox" thread.

Jeph's breakdown was triggered though not entirely caused by a vicious and incoherent flame about Marigold, as best I remember from Tumblr. He said it was not the only cause but was the rock that broke the camel's back.

Patreon -- let's just say that it's a good thing to sign up for. Now is a good time.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 24 Jan 2018, 16:00 »

Yes, I remember that well. It was this comic, as I recall. The writer was unhappy with the way Marigold was depicted, and said so in a hateful fashion.

I think that Jeph is wise in general to stay away. Not because he does or should have contempt for us, or anything like that. But I feel that he probably feels a lot of pressure to depict well the various groups of people represented by his characters, and the kind of criticism we get here would place impossible expectations on him. It would do any artist's head in, and I guess he's pretty sensitive to it.

I am 100% sure that he is grateful to his fans.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #83 on: 24 Jan 2018, 16:44 »

I wonder if it's time to excavate the old "OCD Soapbox" thread.

I'm sorry for being so verbose about it - guess there's stuff that's been wanting out for a while. It's also partially me learning to talk about a very intense & important time in my life with 'regular people', and partially it's fun revisiting strategies and stuff like that.

Feel free to disagree with me, to doubt my conclusions or understanding (experiences, though ... that's another thing), to talk about OCD anywhichway you like (just don't be an ass about it, I guess) - I'm not trying to make OCD a 'Tread lightly and check your privilege beforehand'-topic. I do reserve the right to say 'that's not how it felt for me' or 'that's not how I understood it' or 'I think you're thinking about phobia rather than OCD', always with the caveat that there's millions of other people who have first-hand experience with OCD and that there's hundreds of thousands of people who know better 'what it is' than I do.

Also: Hanners is a fictional character with similarly fictional mental health trouble. Analysing her essentially means analysing Jeph's informed, but finite understanding of a pretty varied anxiety disorder.

Sorry about the Patreon thing. I guess I like to plug it occasionally, but that was the wrong way to go about it.

Actually, I thought it was funny as balls ...  :-D
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2018, 16:53 by Case »

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #84 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:14 »

New comic.

Hm. From a moving-the-comic-forward perspective, I appreciate this page. From a how-I'd-feel-if-Evie-was-a-real-person perspective...not so much. Her actions her make me kind of uncomfortable, which I think is exacerbated by the "Evie is good" comment on the bottom.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #85 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:18 »

Hoo, boy, Evie is getting into creepy hypnotic territory here...

Seriously...Evie, just stop forcing the issue, you have no clue of the history of the situation. This is getting into levels of creepiness reserved for horror films and bad drama.

Although at this stage, comedic justice would dictate she’s found by one of the professors at SMIF for her paper and tears it apart for unethical behavior.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #86 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:22 »

Hmm. Strikes me that Evie is using her powers for good. Blatantly, however, without Faye's consent.

@Case, I'm looking forward to any further thoughts you have about OCD and its portrayal in QC.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #87 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:23 »

She's asking good questions. I wouldn't say she's forcing the issue. Just gently prodding Faye into exploring it.

Hmm. Strikes me that Evie is using her powers for good. Blatantly, however, without Faye's consent.

Why do you say "without Faye's consent?" Evie is asking questions, Faye is consenting to answer.

haikupoet

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #88 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:28 »

The thing that gets me here is that Bubbles has outright told Faye she has feelings for her. Awkwardly, unintentionally, but unambiguously. Like, Faye has absolutely no excuse to not realize where Amanda and Evie are going with this.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #89 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:34 »

I would argue that it’s without Faye’s consent due to Evie asking the kind of questions that you hear in a therapy session. She’s asking her girlfriend’s sister deeply probing questions over dinner, with her girlfriend right next to her. Evie is the proof of the old adage that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

There is a time and a place to ask these questions and dinner the first evening you’ve met the sister is not it.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #90 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:37 »

New comic.

Hm. From a moving-the-comic-forward perspective, I appreciate this page. From a how-I'd-feel-if-Evie-was-a-real-person perspective...not so much. Her actions her make me kind of uncomfortable, which I think is exacerbated by the "Evie is good" comment on the bottom.

I think the "good" means "good at what she does" rather than "good in the moral sense".

She's asking good questions. I wouldn't say she's forcing the issue. Just gently prodding Faye into exploring it.

Why do you say "without Faye's consent?" Evie is asking questions, Faye is consenting to answer.

Yeeeeeeaaaah, I kinda sorta see where both sides are coming from here, but just barely and only as long as Evie sticks to asking questions, and being very, very ... respectful about it. Or a superficially convincing approximation of 'respectful'. Is there an expression like 'prurient interest', only for romance instead of sexystuff? I hate that shit. Imagine my saying 'hate' exactly like Agent Smith:

"I ... hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This reality, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer."

The thing that gets me here is that Bubbles has outright told Faye she has feelings for her. Awkwardly, unintentionally, but unambiguously. Like, Faye has absolutely no excuse to not realize where Amanda and Evie are going with this.

I bet she'd even lie to the Cops about it ...
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2018, 19:49 by Case »

Sotajumala

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #91 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:39 »

I don't find Evie creepy. It doesn't matter if this kind of behavior would be creepy in real life. This is a comic and characters will be exaggerated. I find her psychoanalysis mannerisms to be humorous.

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #92 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:49 »

New comic.

I think the "good" means "good at what she does" rather than "good in the moral sense".
Yeah, I in no way interpreted it as "good in the moral sense." Why would I? That doesn't mean it's not uncomfortable as a suggestion of approval or such.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #93 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:51 »

Well at least Faye may be getting a clue.  :laugh: :-D

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #94 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:58 »

Yeah, I in no way interpreted it as "good in the moral sense." Why would I? That doesn't mean it's not uncomfortable as a suggestion of approval or such.

OK!
Dunno - ambiguity of everyday language?
I guess?

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #95 on: 24 Jan 2018, 19:59 »

I did say I really liked Evie, didn't I?

I really like Evie.
oh god

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #96 on: 24 Jan 2018, 20:01 »

Evie: "Pay no attention to the shipper behind the curtain."

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #97 on: 24 Jan 2018, 20:54 »

I'm torn. On the one hand, Evie may push things where I desperately want them to go. For literally months now I've wanted to reach through the fourth wall and shake Faye silly over how oblivious she i about her own damned feelings, nevermind Bubble's.

On the otherhand, it's very obvious that Evie see's this as the perfect opportunity to document a human/AI romantic relationship as it unfolds in real time, and the last thing these two needs is for Evie to go Steve Irwin on them.

arcanicEmbers

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #98 on: 24 Jan 2018, 21:06 »

Hello! I've been reading the comic for a long time now, and reading the forum for a couple of months, and I figure now's the time to throw in my two cents.

The thing about Faye's sexuality here is that it can be surprisingly easy to not realize you might not be entirely straight. I went until well into high school before realizing that I wasn't straight and I'm still not entirely sure how to label myself anymore, heheh. But if Faye's had no reason to seriously question her sexuality before, any hypothetical crushes she might have ever had on other women might not have registered as 'crushes' and might have registered as something more like 'huh I like that style'.
My pronouns are they/them, please and thank you.

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #99 on: 24 Jan 2018, 21:10 »

Well, it might not be entirely romantic, but there is *something* in Faye's heart for Bubbles. Especially if she feels jealous.

Also, the way Evie is drawn reminds me of Dora. And not in a "everyone looks the same in this comic" way. Because they don't.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up