"My sister is crazy! She thinks you want romance in your life!"
- 6 (10.9%)
"What did you say to Evie? She was really quizzing me on you!"
- 9 (16.4%)
"Bubbles? Bubbles, are... Are you lonely?"
- 12 (21.8%)
"So, I'm hearing that you want some robo-lovin'!"
- 3 (5.5%)
""Um... Do... Do you want a boyfriend? I mean, I want you to know I'm cool with it if you do!"
- 6 (10.9%)
"So... I hear you guys can download pleasure programs! You got any of those installed?"
- 1 (1.8%)
"So... Uh... Speakin' hypothetically, how does an AI go about gettin' a significant other?"
- 6 (10.9%)
"Imagine if the Skate Park was a Robot Sex Dungeon! What would have we done then?"
- 1 (1.8%)
"My baby sis in a serious relationship! Everyone is pairing up except me! Oh Bubs! Will I ever get lucky?"
- 4 (7.3%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 7 (12.7%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3666 to 3670 (29th January to 2nd February 2018)  (Read 54542 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Something tells me that Faye is going to have a ton of questions for Bubbles when she speaks to her next. I'm pretty sure that Bubbles won't be even slightly ready to answer. What do you think she'll ask her big friend? I've tried to get Faye's 'voice' right but I didn't want to use up too much space.

Personally, I think that Faye's first priority will be to see if Bubbles is okay and, only when she's certain that all is generally well would she consider teasing her. That said, Faye is horrible at boundaries sometimes and I could see her channelling her Inner May if she's in a sufficiently urgent mood. However, I think that she'll first want to know all is well and that involves being sure that Bubbles isn't lacking anything in her life.

I'm honestly not sure where things are going to go this week. It's obvious (as my poll shows) that Faye is going to respond to Evie and Amanda's questioning by talking to Bubbles but I really don't know what will be the outcome (or even if there will be an outcome in the immediate future). Either way though, I'm pretty sure that Faye will be given food for thought. It is possible that Bubbles too may start wondering if the status quo in their friendship is sustainable in the long term.

Feel free to speculate wildly... It isn't as if we haven't been doing that already!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.

"We got a postcard from Hanners and Winslow!"

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

"So, do you want to talk about what happened before we went out to dinner?"
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

A Duck

• Curry sauce

We could  go for maximum overdrama:

Faye returns to find Bubbles chatting with...Angus!

TheEvilDog

Alternative, Faye returns to the workshop and finds out that Bubbles is actually
(click to show/hide)

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.

We could  go for maximum overdrama:

Faye returns to find Bubbles chatting with...Angus!

Wow. That...that'd be a thing, for sure. Daaaang.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

She might ask if Bubbles is lonely. We'll see...

Tho I think Jeph may be evil & do something with other characters.

A Duck

• Curry sauce

Comic's up!

I think Amanda and Evie have performed their plot-mandated duties. Now, let's see where this takes Faye.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

Should I ever own a sledgehammer, I will christen it Amanda ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

ImVeryAngryItsNotButter

• Plantmonster

Where did Evie get that nifty color-changing coat?

Case

• comeback tour!

And since when do you 'warm' your sis' SO about murdering the crap out of them if they hurt her'?  :psyduck:
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

But Amanda's expression is perfect for the situation.  That is the correct expression for when your sibling/parent threatens your SO in front of you.

Ravenswing

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Iconoclast
    • Apotheosis of the Invisible City

Dang, beat me to it.  That or "Olympic-level judoka" comes with WAY more nifty powers than one might think!
It's not that I don't understand what you're saying.  It's that I don't AGREE with what you're saying.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.

Alternative, Faye returns to the workshop and finds out that Bubbles is actually
(click to show/hide)
That'd 'splain Spookybot.

TheEvilDog

And since when do you 'warm' your sis' SO about murdering the crap out of them if they hurt her'?  :psyduck:

Obviously Faye's combining the fact that she's warming up to Evie, as well as warning her that there'll be some murderin' if she does anything to hurt Amanda. Makes it folksy and less outright threatening.

Also, regarding today's comic,
Amanda, possessing all the subtlety of a brick through a window.
Faye, possessing enough obliviousness to fill a tvtropes page.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Should I ever own a sledgehammer, I will christen it Amanda ...

Amanda would DIE for this ship!  :-D :laugh: :laugh:

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster

Amanda would DIE for this ship!  :-D :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, I'm sure that can be arranged. Now, if it's by sledgehammer, that's slightly trickier...

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined

Cereal shall be consumed. Massive quantities of cereal. Many Bothans will die only because Bothans are the main ingredient of some of the tastiest cereals ever.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Tova

• coprophage

Jeph is rather fond of that joke, isn't he?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer

Jeph is rather fond of that joke, isn't he?

Honestly, I think the forums are more fond of it than he is.

Tova

• coprophage

Maybe? I used to find it heartwarming. It's not quite as affecting when it's obligatory. YMMV.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building

Do you suppose that Evie's jacket was made by the same people who made that damn dress?

EDIT: The jacket is fixed. My suspicions remain.
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2018, 23:14 by SpanielBear »

BenRG

• coprophage

I think it is genuinely sweet how concerned Amanda is that Faye is happy. I also think it's brilliant how much this clunking lack of subtlety is clearly a family trait! It probably tells you a lot that it has taken Faye this long to realise that there is something abnormal about her sister's behaviour! :lol: What's the likelihood that Faye is now fretting that she needs to make a move because Amanda is interested in Bubbles too? :laugh:

I'm pretty sure that, thinking about marriage or no, Evie plans to be in for the long haul. Amanda clearly approves, based on her expression in panel 2. I'm sure that Marten will be glad to have another Token Sane One in the strip.

I dunno; comparing today's strip with Evie's introduction, I can't see any difference that you can't explain by way of differing ambient light levels.
~~~~

neurocase

• Furry furrier

I dunno; comparing today's strip with Evie's introduction, I can't see any difference that you can't explain by way of differing ambient light levels.

It's been fixed now, but the bulk of Evie's coat was the same color as Amanda's when the strip was uploaded.

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.

I haven't been following the WCDT's in a while, but...

...is Amanda just ignoring the fact that Faye's never really shown any romantic or sexual interest in female-bodied/female-identifying beings?  I know that Bubbles isn't human and all, but if her personal pronouns tell us anything, she seems to identify as female.  I'm not saying that it's impossible that Faye could fall in love with Bubbles simply because she is female-identifying/bodied, but it doesn't seem likely, given what we know about Faye.  Plus, it also just bugs me when really, really close friendship is mistaken by onlookers for romantic love. 

Anyway, I dunno, maybe y'all have other theories.
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2018, 03:17 by no one special »
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

BenRG

• coprophage

I can only assume that Amanda and Evie (and especially Amanda) saw something in Faye and Bubbles's interactions. Both of them seem sure that Faye is crushing on Bubbles and just won't admit it to herself.

In Amanda's case, she probably has a lot of past correspondence with Faye and conversations to go on too. Maybe Faye has waxed a bit too enthusiastically about Bubbles to her and, once she's seen their interactions for herself, she was convinced that it was romantic attraction.
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

I'm honestly not sure where things are going to go this week. It's obvious (as my poll shows) that Faye is going to respond to Evie and Amanda's questioning by talking to Bubbles but I really don't know what will be the outcome (or even if there will be an outcome in the immediate future). Either way though, I'm pretty sure that Faye will be given food for thought. It is possible that Bubbles too may start wondering if the status quo in their friendship is sustainable in the long term.

In my opinion, Faye already got plenty of "food for thoughts". It's time she starts to chew on it!
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2018, 07:20 by traroth »
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Maybe the whole arc is a "F**k you" to the shippers here?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Plus, it also just bugs me when really, really close friendship is mistaken by onlookers for romantic love. 

You and me both and many others. That's part of why (random unjustified) shipping gets such a negative response here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

poofdepoof

• Not quite a lurker

I voted 'Other': She ignores everything about the dinner conversation and immediately focuses on Bubble's mood during http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3659

Because her actual interactions with her upset friend are more important than the random questions of people who don't know her upset friend.

Case

• comeback tour!

Plus, it also just bugs me when really, really close friendship is mistaken by onlookers for romantic love. 

You and me both and many others. That's part of why (random unjustified) shipping gets such a negative response here.

U2 and #methree.

Also, I don't really 'get' shipping (same way that I think it is possible to watch 'Little Lord Fountleroy' too many times - but try telling that to my beloved Sistermonster).

Doesn't mean I loathe shippers, or that I won't squeeeeeh! on occasion (very softly, and you didn't hear it from me, k?). Nothing wrong with squeeing, in moderation. I can give it up any time I want to.

A Duck

• Curry sauce

Maybe the whole arc is a "F**k you" to the shippers here?
That arc you mentioned is called "Questionable Content"  :claireface:

Tova

• coprophage

I voted 'Other': She ignores everything about the dinner conversation and immediately focuses on Bubble's mood during http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3659

Because her actual interactions with her upset friend are more important than the random questions of people who don't know her upset friend.

Yes, I voted that way for the same reason. If you believe that Faye has a strong bond with Bubbles, then surely you'd have to believe that finding out what was wrong with Bubbles would be at the forefront of Faye's mind?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

It's her top ethical priority whether she's a friend or a lover and a high practical priority as a business partner.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SpanielBear

Assuming she remembers. Which she probably will. But she has had a whole dinner where her sister was acting *really weird* to distract her, so that may come up first.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

The dinner may come up first? :-)
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SpanielBear

Depends how bad the burgers were, I guess.  :-P

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

"My sister asked me to give you a hug for her, but she made it weird."
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Wombat

• Furry furrier

New comic.

Very cute; what babes. Looking forward to Bubbles opening up.

TheEvilDog

Ah, but will Bubbles open up or will she evade Faye's questions?

Because its only Tuesday and we can't get to the good stuff yet.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Aw, Faye. <3  "I'll be very disappointed" is indeed a much better threat against Miss Bubbles than violence.

SpanielBear

Faye is *not* threatening punitive violence.

"Its a bold move Cotton, lets see if it pays off."

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

It’s refreshing when Faye’s usual methods fail.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Methinks Jeph may have been watching too much anime again.
Love the stark white bg in panel 5, though.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

too much anime

I don't recognise this concept.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

too much anime

I don't recognise this concept.

I think it's one of those concepts like "Too much bacon" that horrible people make up to try to harm mankind.

Tova

• coprophage

This is going to hurt me as much as it hurts you, but there actually is such a thing as too much bacon.

I haven't seen any studies on the effects of too much anime, so I'll reserve judgement on that one.  :mrgreen:

BenRG

• coprophage

I've seen this emotional cascade before IRL. Hell, I've felt it personally. Whatever Bubbles has thought of has first and foremost embarrassed her and has poked her personal insecurities. Because she's sure her friends will laugh at her fears and/or her realisation, she's become pre-emptively angry and is attempting to hide the whole thing away because she's sure she'll be hurt by opening up. Heck, she must be frightened if she's interpreting Faye's smile in panel 3 as a 'smirk'!

Panels 4 through 6 are so cute in so many ways. I'm thinking that panel 5 is Faye's 'pause button' internal monologue when her brain caught up enough to realise what she was about to say just sounded stupid. Then we have the lovely pay-off when we are reminded just to what degree Faye has grown up and also how she has become 'The Voice of Reason' in Bubbles's mind.

On a slight tangent, this strip also reminds me that Bubbles is no older than a fifth of Faye's chronological age. Although AIs generally seem to be more stable, emotionally speaking, than humans of twice their chronological age - possibly some artefact of their compiling process - Bubbles still has far less useful experience in dealing with her emotions than a human adult. So, in some ways, her reacting to Faye like an angsting teenager makes sense.
~~~~

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop

This is why I still dislike Faye "my usual threats of violence won't work" its her go to, its her first reaction

Shes, still, just a really unpleasant garbage person.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

This is going to hurt me as much as it hurts you, but there actually is such a thing as too much bacon.

Fake news, you and my cardiologist have just been taken in by the man!

Open your eyes, sheeple!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up