Vinyl
- 18 (29.5%)
Stone tablets
- 5 (8.2%)
Ug banging on a rotted tree log with two sticks
- 7 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3676 to 3680 (12th to 16th February 2018)  (Read 44611 times)

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
Re: WCDT strips 3676 to 3680 (12th to 16th February 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 13 Feb 2018, 18:50 »

Now, looking at panel 5, doesn't it look like Marigold may be pregnant?

I thought so too and I even showed my husband (who only follows the comic because I show it to him every day whenever I read it lol)... Even HE thought she liked

It looks like a pregnancy belly to me, to. Something to wait for confirmation or denial of tomorrow.

Or an extended period of not saying anything at all about it. Either one.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #101 on: 13 Feb 2018, 19:11 »

Now, looking at panel 5, doesn't it look like Marigold may be pregnant?

I thought so too and I even showed my husband (who only follows the comic because I show it to him every day whenever I read it lol)... Even HE thought she liked

It looks like a pregnancy belly to me, to. Something to wait for confirmation or denial of tomorrow.

Or an extended period of not saying anything at all about it. Either one.

I mean we'll most likely find out in an hour's time or so, but how would that fit into the timeline? We last saw Marigold (I think) in strip 3138, which is immediately after the big time skip (In Which Our Heroine Got Buff), and she isn't showing there. This was over a year ago in our time, but comic-time wise, I'm not sure how long it's been. I get the feeling it's only been a few months which sure, is enough time for things to develop, but it seems odd that it would just be dropped on us from nothing. Also you'd think Hanners might take her friend's imminent spawning of a podling into consideration before deciding to take off on a journey of self discovery. Not saying she has no right to do that, but it doesn't seem very in character.

I mean, it's not impossible, but it seems an odd storyline to just jump into.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #102 on: 13 Feb 2018, 19:45 »

My issue with Marigold is that Jeph likes her so much in his head, he often forgets to convey why she's likable on the page, or takes it for granted the audience should like her as much as he does.

I'm always hesitant about her appearance as a result.
oh god

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #103 on: 13 Feb 2018, 19:51 »

I think it's more likely that he does convey the attributes he finds likeable, and it just so happens that you don't find them likeable. People here like different characters for different reasons. Our conversations here would be dull otherwise.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #104 on: 13 Feb 2018, 21:17 »

I'd say those aren't mutually exclusive things. I lean into my suspicion a bit because it's... well it's an author pet character for him.

It's definitely something I noticed with Claire, for example, as Jeph grew way more comfortable with her, and became a pet character for him for a while. It's a very consistent quirk in his writing that you can tell when he really likes a character when he gets very... incautious in writing them.

You could tell he was really excited to write Brun, for instance, because in the first comics we have of her, she pulls a shotgun on Clinton. Later edited to be a harpoon -- a much better decision -- but a good example of what I'm referring to.
oh god

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #105 on: 13 Feb 2018, 21:47 »

I notice nobody has yet commented on the part of 3676 that amused me most: Emily saying "Dang it, did I dream up another nonexistant media format?" Hmm, "another"? Is this something you do on a regular basis, Emily?  :psyduck:
Instead of media, it's places I've lived in or visited. Sometimes it's a place I've actually been but it's vastly different. My paternal grandma's old one-story house with a basement suddenly has two additional floors and at least one sub-basement. The first basement has several more rooms and there's at least 10 bathrooms in the place.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #106 on: 13 Feb 2018, 23:12 »

Today's strip reminds us of two things.

Firstly, Marigold, by her own admission to Momo, is a thoughtless and selfish person. She isn't good with factoring in other people to her desires and wants. Secondly, we're reminded of the fact she doesn't like being this way and how important her relationship with Dale is to her.

When I first saw this strip, I was confused about what's happening. Finally, I realised that Marigold is fighting all her instincts and learned behaviour to be generous to Dale, even though her hind-brain is screaming that she's being a fool!

Now, about the treat itself... ((Checks Google)) Chocolate-covered breadsticks seems okay to me but fish-flavoured?!? Only Emily could think to offer such a thing to her friends! :-P
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #107 on: 13 Feb 2018, 23:18 »

o/~ Ooh, ooh ooh ooh I'm sharin' with you
Ooh, ooh
Tryna do what couples do ooh o/~
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #108 on: 13 Feb 2018, 23:27 »

"The official Pocky website explicitly says they are meant to be shared"

I don't care what the website says, I'm gonna eat the entire box, then go buy another tomorrow. If somebody wants to share, they can buy their own box.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #109 on: 14 Feb 2018, 00:57 »

And that's the real reason I've got this big belly...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gyrre

« Reply #110 on: 14 Feb 2018, 02:29 »

I note that Marigold is wearing a hoodie devoid of nerdisms.
Also her acne is nearly gone.

Is she (ulp) maturing?
Laundry day hoodie.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #111 on: 14 Feb 2018, 02:36 »

Now, about the treat itself... ((Checks Google)) Chocolate-covered breadsticks seems okay to me but fish-flavoured?!? Only Emily could think to offer such a thing to her friends! :-P

The various shrimp (prawn) flavored chips are pretty good, but for the love of whatever god/deity/higher-consciousness you believe in, DO NOT EAT THE LOBSTER FLAVORED ONES.
a real-ass gaddam sword

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #112 on: 14 Feb 2018, 02:53 »

Hmmm... Isn't that a bit... forward... of Dale asking "where's my present" ???

But more oddly...
Why are Dales glasses not *white* in the two previous strips when it's just him and Emily...
But they turn white when Marigold comes in to CoD???

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #113 on: 14 Feb 2018, 03:00 »

His tongue is firmly in his cheek. Look at that smirk.

Why are Dales glasses not *white* in the two previous strips when it's just him and Emily...

That is odd. I, uh, won't be thinking too hard about that one. Suspect it is not deliberate.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #114 on: 14 Feb 2018, 04:53 »

Hmmm... Isn't that a bit... forward... of Dale asking "where's my present" ???

But more oddly...

The answer is Anime rules.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #115 on: 14 Feb 2018, 06:53 »

Emily is being remarkably socially adept for a giddy goofball here. She has affirmed them as a couple, given them a gift to share as a couple, and deepened the affection between them by giving Marigold a chance to be a good girlfriend. Marigold is going to have to work really hard if she wants to get jealous now. It could be that this is just niceness on Emily's part instead of cleverness, and an example of why being a good person works better than initially seems plausible.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #116 on: 14 Feb 2018, 06:58 »

Emily is being remarkably socially adept for a giddy goofball here. She has affirmed them as a couple, given them a gift to share as a couple, and deepened the affection between them by giving Marigold a chance to be a good girlfriend. Marigold is going to have to work really hard if she wants to get jealous now. It could be that this is just niceness on Emily's part instead of cleverness, and an example of why being a good person works better than initially seems plausible.

Methinks that's "Ambiguous Innocence". Like Corporal Carrot Ironfoundersson of the Ankh-Morporkh City Watch. Or River "Also? I can kill you with my brain" Tam ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #118 on: 14 Feb 2018, 07:33 »

Methinks that's "Ambiguous Innocence".

Could be. Or what the Victorians called wise innocence: actual innocence that permits unclouded vision of what people are feeling and fearless action to set wrong things right.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #119 on: 14 Feb 2018, 09:04 »

Take one, Dale, just one.  Then Marigold can say she shared them and Emily won't feel bad about not getting you some, too.

(What's so bad about the lobster flavored ones?)

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #120 on: 14 Feb 2018, 09:47 »

Weird japanese treats!  :-D
I once had some that looked like little black fish made from salty licorice. I like salty licorice. So I had one.
It turned out to be a real little dried fish, black and salty. With fishbone and entrails. Tasting exactly the way you would imagine. Like dry, salty dead fish!

I prefer Chocolate Pocky.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #121 on: 14 Feb 2018, 12:08 »

I notice nobody has yet commented on the part of 3676 that amused me most: Emily saying "Dang it, did I dream up another nonexistant media format?" Hmm, "another"? Is this something you do on a regular basis, Emily?  :psyduck:
Instead of media, it's places I've lived in or visited. Sometimes it's a place I've actually been but it's vastly different. My paternal grandma's old one-story house with a basement suddenly has two additional floors and at least one sub-basement. The first basement has several more rooms and there's at least 10 bathrooms in the place.

Can be anything with me: Most often it's details of family-lore, like the backstory to childhood pictures of me & sistermonster, or details of Grandpa's service with the Paratroopers. Me and Mom have different recollections of several events (in the latter example, obviously, recollections of previous second-hand recollections), and I'm not entirely sure whether I've 'retconned' some imaginary details into mine. It doesn't feel like it, but ...

TL;DR - I find Emily's 'Did I dream that up?'-comment far less remarkable than her telling another person about it. 
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #122 on: 14 Feb 2018, 16:32 »

Family mythology is like that, especially with stories about the stories of Grandfathers. "Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot, but he'll remember, with advantages, what feats he did that day" on some bleak hilltop in Korea.

I have vivid memories of the block of flats my family lived in in Shanghai. When I went back years later, I found that the entire block had been demolished in part of the city's frantic development, so I couldn't confirm how far my childhood memories are accurate. The building, and in fact the entire neighbourhood, lives on only in memory now, however distorted.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Gyrre

« Reply #123 on: 14 Feb 2018, 17:35 »

Take one, Dale, just one.  Then Marigold can say she shared them and Emily won't feel bad about not getting you some, too.

(What's so bad about the lobster flavored ones?)
Maybe it was just the brand that I got, but it tasted awful. I normally love Japanese junk food.

EDIT:  BTW, I think the "pregnancy belly" is Marigold's upper torso being bent back by the impact of Emily glomping her.
« Last Edit: 15 Feb 2018, 20:58 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #124 on: 14 Feb 2018, 17:47 »

Can be anything with me: Most often it's details of family-lore, like the backstory to childhood pictures of me & sistermonster, or details of Grandpa's service with the Paratroopers. Me and Mom have different recollections of several events (in the latter example, obviously, recollections of previous second-hand recollections), and I'm not entirely sure whether I've 'retconned' some imaginary details into mine. It doesn't feel like it, but ...

TL;DR - I find Emily's 'Did I dream that up?'-comment far less remarkable than her telling another person about it.
Ever had that dream where an IRL dead relative is still alive and they're offended that everyone thought the had died?
a real-ass gaddam sword

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #125 on: 14 Feb 2018, 17:57 »

.... for the love of whatever god/deity/higher-consciousness you believe in, DO NOT EAT THE LOBSTER FLAVORED ONES.

Lobster Nut Crunch. An actual candy. I saved a wrapper as proof.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #126 on: 14 Feb 2018, 17:59 »

New comic, and Marigold is definitely jealous. Plus, Dale's glasses are both light and dark in this comic. Definitely deliberate. Perhaps it reflects the distance between Dale and Marigold.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #127 on: 14 Feb 2018, 18:14 »

Oh boy, poor Marigold. Poor Dale.

Marigold has been shown to be very insecure in regards to Dale already. Remember how she flipped out when May first showed up in her chassis?

What will make or break this situation is how Dale reacts. I know he wouldn't do any of the things Marigold's Oglaf-flavoured brain thinks he would, but if he reacts too defensively because of that he might as well just scream "I AM CHEATING ON YOU" on her eyes. Speaking from experience here

And we know Dale is also not exactly very good on the "interpersonal relationship" area. He might as well just react in exactly the worst way possible. Probably will, the comic needs some drama to keep things going.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #128 on: 14 Feb 2018, 18:29 »

Is it weird that I kinda imagine that's how Emily would attempt sexy talk?

(Not so much those pants, though. I mean, imagine if the thong got caught on something while you were walking...)

SpanielBear

« Reply #129 on: 14 Feb 2018, 18:36 »

And we know Dale is also not exactly very good on the "interpersonal relationship" area. He might as well just react in exactly the worst way possible. Probably will, the comic needs some drama to keep things going.

"Oh Drama-Drama-Drama-Drama-Drama Chame-li-on,
You come and go,
You come and go,oo-oh

Mari would be happy if she didn't always see
through shades of green
through shades of gree-ee-een"

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #130 on: 14 Feb 2018, 18:56 »

Oh Marbear, don't go there ...

You come and go,
You come and go,oo-oh

through shades of green

Earworm-insertion successfully completed.

Thank you!

Nono, I REALLY MEAN IT!

NOT BEING SARCASTIC AT ALL ... !  :x

SpanielBear

« Reply #131 on: 14 Feb 2018, 19:03 »

Oh Marbear, don't go there ...

You come and go,
You come and go,oo-oh

through shades of green

Earworm-insertion successfully completed.

Thank you!

Nono, I REALLY MEAN IT!

NOT BEING SARCASTIC AT ALL ... !  :x

*SpanielBear wonders if he can get away with pastiche-ing "You're Welcome", but decides instead to maybe just leave while he has all his limbs attached.*

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #132 on: 14 Feb 2018, 19:04 »

The truly sad part is, no matter how Marigold thinks she feels, no matter what she tells herself...

The fishy treats became too fishy when they received any level of fishiness
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #133 on: 14 Feb 2018, 19:51 »

Late to start of thread, but I'm pretty sure I have this saved from previous times it's been discussed, here and elsewhere:

My parents had quite the collection of vinyl, as well as a few reel-to-reel magtapes and 8-tracks.  My music format (and poll choice) was the cassette tape, which I only reluctantly (and later than most) gave up for CDs.  I've also had the chance to handle music boxes, player piano rolls, etc.

I never did get around to replacing the vast majority of my video library - somewhere in the neighborhood of a hundred VHS tapes, I'd guess - with DVDs, let alone Blu-Ray(s).  And yes, I do still have working players for both of the former.

These days, of course, most data lives on hard drives and flash drives.  Even the notion of physical media and permanent ownership is becoming somewhat passe, in favor of streaming services who'd love to rent content to you in perpetuity... until they go out of business or drop that item from their library, of course.  I understand the forces at work, and a Walkman-branded mp3 player which can instantly jump to any of thousands of songs is definitely an improvement over the old cassette model I grew up with... but a part of me is a little sad to think I'll probably never see another media format dedicated solely to audio-visual data in my lifetime.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #134 on: 14 Feb 2018, 19:58 »

The bodies in the porno-vision bit.

:? :-o

Eeeek.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #135 on: 14 Feb 2018, 20:23 »

(Not so much those pants, though. I mean, imagine if the thong got caught on something while you were walking...)
I'd better not.  I'll get in trouble for imagining that.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #136 on: 14 Feb 2018, 21:35 »

The bodies in the porno-vision bit.

:? :-o

Eeeek.

But they talk like characters from her own fanfic.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #137 on: 14 Feb 2018, 22:43 »

Funny that.

cloudatlatl

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #138 on: 14 Feb 2018, 22:57 »

We've seen jealousy before, but have we ever seen a QC character actually cheat on a relationship?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #139 on: 14 Feb 2018, 23:15 »

Marigold's low self-esteem is really kicking in strongly at the moment, isn't it? Either she's feeling unusually jealous at the moment for some reason or there is something that's making her feel extra insecure about Dale's feelings for her. I mean, the way she turned Emily from 'tall and gangly' into 'curvy vixen' inside her paranoid fantasy-world probably tells us a lot about how distorted her perceptions are at the moment!

So, the obvious question up for debate is: Why? In truth, I think it was just something inevitable for someone with Marigold's very insecure personality. She's fully aware  that she's not perfect and is convinced that, because of this, no-one would want to spend too much time around her. Being abandoned is a deep and profound fear on her part.

Oh, by the way, I'm signing her up for fanfic-writing courses with Claire. The dialogue in that fantasy didn't even manage to achieve 'cheesy'.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #140 on: 14 Feb 2018, 23:28 »

We've seen jealousy before, but have we ever seen a QC character actually cheat on a relationship?

.....Sven....

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #141 on: 14 Feb 2018, 23:29 »

... I know I'm supposed to be focusing on the drama, but all I can think is how much it would hurt to try to make a latte with your dick.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #142 on: 14 Feb 2018, 23:39 »

You could say it would hurt a latte.

Gyrre

« Reply #143 on: 14 Feb 2018, 23:49 »

New comic, and Marigold is definitely jealous. Plus, Dale's glasses are both light and dark in this comic. Definitely deliberate. Perhaps it reflects the distance between Dale and Marigold.
His glasses are Google glass ready. How has everyone forgotten that? I imagine he had been looming up the fish pocky.

She's already going to have lower back issues from standing like that. That thong catching on anything will just make matters worse.  :-P
a real-ass gaddam sword

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #144 on: 15 Feb 2018, 01:31 »

These kind of thoughts ended badly for Dora. Hopefully this story will go better for all.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #145 on: 15 Feb 2018, 01:36 »

Will Momo have to intervene again?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #146 on: 15 Feb 2018, 01:39 »

Given the picture that Jeph put on his Twitter feed this week, I'm expecting some tough love from May.
~~~~

Storel

« Reply #147 on: 15 Feb 2018, 01:43 »

Hmm, that only happens to me in dreams. For example, I used to have an occasionally-recurring dream that involved secret tunnels or passageways immediately connecting three places that, in RL, are all several miles apart from each other. In the dreams, though, they were all physically adjacent to each other.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #148 on: 15 Feb 2018, 03:13 »

S... v... e... n...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

A Duck

• Curry sauce
« Reply #149 on: 15 Feb 2018, 04:12 »

We haven't seen Sven in a while, right? Have we even seen him after the last timeskip?

The biggest, and certainly most incredibly painful and cast-wrecking, outcome of all of this would be Marigold doing something she shouldn't because of her insecurity. While it is a thing that could probably happen, I don't see the character going that route. Or Jeph being that much chaotic evil with his characters. He's not David Willis.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up