Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, who will make the next move?

Dale will go to apologise to Marigold
- 21 (46.7%)
Marigold will go to apologise to Dale
- 0 (0%)
Both will be paralysed with indecision, so Momo and May will meet to discuss strategy
- 3 (6.7%)
Spookybot will make an intervention for reasons of their own
- 0 (0%)
Emily comes to visit Marigold just as Dale arrives; complications ensue
- 6 (13.3%)
We join Marten, Dora and Faye reading Hannelore's first letter home
- 1 (2.2%)
Faye starts weirding Bubbles out with her studied nonchallance and hands-off behaviour
- 2 (4.4%)
Clinton and Claire meet and Clinton's current romantic travails come up
- 3 (6.7%)
Mrs Augustus auditions for a spot in Deathmole
- 6 (13.3%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3686-3690 (26th February to 2nd March 2018)  (Read 35429 times)

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
Re: WCDT Strips 3686-3690 (26th February to 2nd March 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 28 Feb 2018, 23:29 »

The only way I believe Dale is actually looking in that direction in panel four is if Marigold has a poster of herself topless on the wall in the spot Dale is looking.

He's not looking at anything in the room. He's "looking inside", remembering what Marigold looks like without her clothes on.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #101 on: 01 Mar 2018, 02:39 »

Also what in Hell is May supposed to be doing in panel 1?

Kata of smugtitude
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #102 on: 01 Mar 2018, 07:00 »

I hadn't considered Momo would NOT want to be dealing with the sexing & such. Ha.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #103 on: 01 Mar 2018, 07:24 »

Is May just mucking around with Dale's tanto or is she actually using a real kata for that weapon?

It is just about impossible to get Japanese senseis to teach tanto, so it is hard to say. I knew an aikido teacher who had studied tanto, and what I remember is very fast combinations that looked like karate but with the strike angles slightly different. You could see immediately why no one wanted that stuff out on the street.

Doing knife defenses on your tests in that school was discouraging. But I digress.

Long story short, just about no one knows what tanto kata look like, so it's anyone's guess whether that is supposed to be a real one. By the look of her she is just playing, though.
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2018, 08:01 by ckridge »

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #104 on: 01 Mar 2018, 09:14 »

Very nice comic today. The difference between the emojii and May's blushing face has a sweet touch.
But what are the white formless things at the end of her legs in panel one?
Jeph is so good at drawing people and especially hands. But the way he draws feet...
Well let me just say, there's room for improvement.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #105 on: 01 Mar 2018, 09:16 »

But what are the white formless things at the end of her legs in panel one?
Jeph is so good at drawing people and especially hands. But the way he draws feet...

They're white Japanese exercise socks; commonly used during martial arts lessons.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #106 on: 01 Mar 2018, 10:47 »

It is just about impossible to get Japanese senseis to teach tanto, so it is hard to say.
Arnis, also known as Eskrima, is the national sport of the Philippines.  Instruction is probably not all that hard to come by.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #107 on: 01 Mar 2018, 11:41 »

True that, but it's not done with tanto.  Tanto are built for punching through lacquered armor. The little bit of Filipino knife I have studied uses different knives and is pretty clearly set up for fighting someone lightly dressed.

Actually, there are an awful lot of Filipino martial arts, and the Japanese did occupy the archipelago for a while, so someone somewhere in the Philippines may teach tanto as part of advanced curriculum. I do JKD, and have only been practicing it for a couple of years, so my kali is shallow.

Can't say I have seen any stances like that in kali or in old school Japanese martial arts, either. Silat, yes, but silat mostly uses karambit.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #108 on: 01 Mar 2018, 11:58 »

What she is doing looks more like either of the first two moves in this karate kata than like anything else I have seen, but karate is Chinese boxing that spent time in Okinawa and didn't arrive in Japan till the 1920s, so shouldn't have tanto in it at all. I go with my earlier theory that she is playing around. Playing around is good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aogof98qjoE

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #109 on: 01 Mar 2018, 13:29 »

She's practicing May-fu. It's a little-known martial art that involves stabbing while shouting highly inventive profanity.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #110 on: 01 Mar 2018, 14:24 »

Another option is that she's practicing an art that uses some other similarly sized weapon and has instead substituted the tanto because she's working a dead end job, has no money for proper equipment, and borrowing Dale's tanto is the closest she could get.

She's practicing May-fu. It's a little-known martial art that involves stabbing while shouting highly inventive profanity.

Heh, maybe that's true, and she's constructed her own martial art by binging on youtube videos.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #111 on: 01 Mar 2018, 18:42 »

Another option is that she's practicing an art that uses some other similarly sized weapon ...

You just sent my mind to a weird place.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #112 on: 01 Mar 2018, 19:14 »

You just sent my mind to a weird place.

Is it the sex place? It's probably the sex place. I could see May mastering the ancient victorian medical martial art of vibrator-fu.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #113 on: 01 Mar 2018, 20:05 »

Perhaps she studied at the feet of the master.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #114 on: 01 Mar 2018, 22:12 »

Comic

And also:
"That's the second biggest monkey head I've ever seen!"
 - Guybrush Threepwood

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #115 on: 01 Mar 2018, 22:29 »

I remember seeing something like this on the Nina Bedford Show.  Toast Fucking.

oddtail

« Reply #116 on: 01 Mar 2018, 23:28 »

OK, so for some reason Pintsize's behaviour genuinely upsets me in this context.

Yes, he's constantly doing stupid and annoying stuff, but usually he does that to people he knows and/or who are able to handle it. It's unclear how much he's deliberately making everyone angry because it's amusing, and how much he's mentally four years old, but his behaviour somehow... works in context. Wacky (and unfunny, but YMMV) hijinks, something happens to him in retaliation, move on.

In this situation, he's explicitly with someone who went on a date with him. The NATURE of interaction suggests a way to act. He's supposed to act in a way that makes the other side comfortable and, ideally, happy. Hanging out with someone... I dunno, I guess one could say he gets bored and starts acting stupid. Here, he's either being a dick to his date, or he's really *that* clueless and he thinks it's something he should be doing.

If he's being a dick, I subjectively think he's being a dick more than he usually is to people (and it's PINTSIZE we're talking about). The dialogue is really what pushes this into the "this is f-ed up" territory. He can't claim ignorance, because his date is OBVIOUSLY in "date mode" behaviour, and she's trying to steer him in that direction.

If he's being clueless, he obviously acts in a way that's inappropriate to people outside of the comic's main cast. So he's disruptive and annoying and potentially may do something actually bad. He needs help, whatever that would entail for an AI.

I genuinely can't put to words WHY this specific behaviour seems so much worse to me than what he usually does. He's done some pretty stupid things. I can't put my finger on it, but it's something about the situation, about the context that seems wrong. Maybe it's the fact that it's closer to real behaviour? I can't imagine a person gluing dicks to everything and ALWAYS making crude sex jokes (plus, it's hard to interpret that behaviour as anything but trying to be funny), but I can sort-of see someone doing something to interrupt every time another person says something. Sure, the stereotypical thing to do would be to make fart noises and not sling toast at them, but same difference.

His action, and this is the closest I guess I can get to pin-pointing why his behaviour seems wrong-er than usual, clearly states "you're talking, and I don't care. I'm not listening, and I'll show it in the most blatant way possible".

The fact that he's shooting the toast from his general crotch area doesn't help. Normally I'd say that's due to his chassis' height, but it's Pintsize we're talking about. That's probably a "sex thing" to him, everything is.

TL;DR - Pintsize is acting like a four-year-old here, but due to the circumstances it's worse, to me, than most things he's said and done.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #117 on: 01 Mar 2018, 23:30 »

Ever since I first saw today's strip on Patreon, I've hoped that we can discuss its sixth panel here.

I find myself especially focussing on Pintsize's expression and his role. Normally, when he's annoying someone, he's all big, beaming smiles but here, he seems genuinely worried! Is he concerned that he's screwing up the date somehow? Was Pintsize really expecting to impress Roko with the power of his 'attachment' here? Or is his professionalism offended by the fact that he is only the second worst date that Roko has ever been on? Or maybe Roko isn't on a date with Pintsize at all; he's just been hired to operate the toaster (who is her actual date).

Here's a thought: Maybe Pintsize is the victim of preparation. Maybe he found out about a certain drunken incident in Roko's past and decided that he knew just how to put his date in the mood! Well, guess what, if she isn't intoxicated, she doesn't find it so attractive!

That said, I'm sort of glad that this strip has been semi-canonised (even if it's only because poor Jeph's back problems flared up again) because the idea of Roko having serious issues finding a good date and Pintsize actually being serious about showing his dates a good time deserves to be in the strip canon! I just can't help but speculate what her very worst date must have been like!
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #118 on: 01 Mar 2018, 23:40 »

I hadn't considered Momo would NOT want to be dealing with the sexing & such. Ha.
Remember the series of strips where Momo is talking about her life as an AI? In one of the strips, Jeph does a nice bit of optical illusion to simulate motion as Marigold's bed repeatedly slams into the wall her bedroom shares with Momo's.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #119 on: 02 Mar 2018, 01:06 »

Or maybe Roko isn't on a date with Pintsize at all; he's just been hired to operate the toaster (who is her actual date).

Until the sixth panel, I actually thought she was on a date with an AI toaster, like we saw in the shop when Momo got her new chassis.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #120 on: 02 Mar 2018, 01:08 »

... the toaster (who is her actual date).
That was my intepretation.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #121 on: 02 Mar 2018, 01:08 »

Clearly she is a master of Panzer Kunst.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #122 on: 02 Mar 2018, 01:37 »

I realise that I am distinctly odd, but I read the comic, thought to myself, "Ahh, that wacky Pintsize and his hijinks, ha ha," and moved on.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #123 on: 02 Mar 2018, 01:58 »

You know... one of these days, we need to learn what two AIs do on a restaurant date when they're not throwing bread products at each other. I suppose they do the other part of it: Awkwardly engage in 'getting to know you' conversation and, occasionally, very clumsy non-verbal flirting. Maybe AI dates are all about shared sensory experiences (at least audio-visual) or something. When you think about it, that's a key feature of most human-human dates too.

This leads to the interesting side-avenue of a human and an AI in a relationship trying to get over this particular species barrier. I've got a feeling that an interesting and/or relaxing sensory experience for an AI would be like a psychedelic son-et-Lumičre to a human.
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #124 on: 02 Mar 2018, 02:07 »

Or maybe Roko isn't on a date with Pintsize at all; he's just been hired to operate the toaster (who is her actual date).

Until the sixth panel, I actually thought she was on a date with an AI toaster, like we saw in the shop when Momo got her new chassis.
Ditto
a real-ass gaddam sword

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #125 on: 02 Mar 2018, 03:27 »

Heh... Robot kinks.

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster
« Reply #126 on: 02 Mar 2018, 04:21 »

Surely they'd meet on compCuter? Gotta work those puns in!

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #127 on: 02 Mar 2018, 04:47 »

Clearly she is a master of Panzer Kunst.

Manga-German is ... weird ('Tank Art'?)

I realise that I am distinctly odd, but I read the comic, thought to myself, "Ahh, that wacky Pintsize and his hijinks, ha ha," and moved on.

Yes, you are.

(Made me want toast ... lots of toast ...)
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #128 on: 02 Mar 2018, 05:38 »

True that, but it's not done with tanto.  Tanto are built for punching through lacquered armor.

I'm inclined to take your word for it - but why are there then so many tanto without a tsuba?

Most bladed weapons intended at least partially for stabbing have something at the end of the hilt - a tsuba, crossguard, whatever - that stops the hand from sliding into the blade while stabbing?
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2018, 06:19 by Case »

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #129 on: 02 Mar 2018, 06:15 »

This was what I assumed too. Perhaps she'd have better luck with Talkie Toaster..

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #130 on: 02 Mar 2018, 07:03 »

Well, that... was a thing.

:roll: :-o

oddtail

« Reply #131 on: 02 Mar 2018, 07:04 »

True that, but it's not done with tanto.  Tanto are built for punching through lacquered armor.

I'm inclined to take your word for it - but why are there then so many tanto without a tsuba?

Most bladed weapons intended at least partially for stabbing have something at the end of the hilt - a tsuba, crossguard, whatever - that stops the hand from sliding into the blade while stabbing?

The main purpose of a crossguard is to protect the hand, not really to prevent the hand sliding. And not every weapon that's capable of stabbing has a crossguard or an equivalent. For an obvious example, most spears don't - granted, they're not bladed weapons, but your hands don't really slide on the shaft that much, even when stabbing one-handed. There's more than enouqh friction on the weapon.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #132 on: 02 Mar 2018, 07:41 »

I don't know. It might have entirely to do with the existence of tsuba collectors, so that a tsuba can be taken off a tanto and sold separately. It might have to do with the fact that one fought with katana, not tanto, with the tanto's main function being to be snatched out for quick use at close range.    It might be because some tanto were carried concealed by samurai women, and the tsuba would make hiding them hard. But all this is just elaboration on the general theme of not knowing.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2018, 08:24 by ckridge »

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #133 on: 02 Mar 2018, 07:57 »

I read today's comic as being about those times when you are supposed to be making civil small talk that lets you get to know each other, and it is one of those days when all you can think of to talk about is either the difference between Aristotle's and Bentham's concept of pleasure or the importance of taking both Golden and Silver Age Batmans into account when developing a full view of his character. There she is making polite conversational advances, and there you are launching pieces of dry toast at her. It is Hell.

One of my favorite movie characters is Jordan, the geek girl in Real Genius, because whenever she talks she has a look of mounting horror that oh, no, her mouth is going again and will no doubt bore everyone and put them off again, and she is powerless to stop it. I was like, oh, thank God, it happens to some of you guys too. How awful, and what a relief.

OldGoat

« Reply #134 on: 02 Mar 2018, 08:05 »

Poor Roko.  She'll be called into her supervisor's office.  "We understand you've been seeing Pintsize socially.  Are you aware of this AI's background?  All I can say is, be careful."

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #135 on: 02 Mar 2018, 08:22 »

I have a hypothesis about Pintsize's character. I think he was built with a lot of intelligence but almost no insight into other minds, and then got lonely. I suspect that his comic, obnoxious, hypersexual persona is a cleverly constructed set of techniques for getting through social situations that he only half-understands and has no idea of how to handle appropriately. The continual joking and sexual harassment let him hold people far enough away that his social inadequacies don't cripple him, but close enough that he won't be too lonely.

Part of this theory is influenced by an Isaac Asimov story about a programmer who writes a program that solves humor and produces an infinite supply of funny jokes, because joking is the only way he can make it through social situations. Asimov spent almost all his time alone writing and edited a number of joke books. It isn't hard to make the connection.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #136 on: 02 Mar 2018, 09:37 »

Poor Roko.  She'll be called into her supervisor's office.  "We understand you've been seeing Pintsize socially.  Are you aware of this AI's background?  All I can say is, be careful."
When I saw the comic, I hadn't even realized it was Roko. She looks different when she's not wearing a hoodie.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #137 on: 02 Mar 2018, 09:49 »

When I saw the comic, I hadn't even realized it was Roko. She looks different when she's not wearing a hoodie.

Totally!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

OldGoat

« Reply #138 on: 02 Mar 2018, 11:03 »

I wasn't sure until she mentioned knitting. 

Roko's social life - cue the Inspector Morse loneliness theme.

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #139 on: 02 Mar 2018, 11:32 »

Likewise. I've been missing Pintsize's wacky hijinks lately :P

Also, I know shipping is frowned upon here, but I must admit I'm rather a fan of Roko/Toaster.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #140 on: 02 Mar 2018, 12:16 »

Toastbot makes toast fun!
Pintsize makes toast creepy!
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #141 on: 02 Mar 2018, 12:44 »

Toasters deserve love, too.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #142 on: 02 Mar 2018, 13:29 »

Maybe she's undercover again. If any character was going to need an expensive multi-unit police operation to take them down, it would be Pintsize.

zzyzx

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #143 on: 02 Mar 2018, 15:58 »

Part of this theory is influenced by an Isaac Asimov story about a programmer who writes a program that solves humor and produces an infinite supply of funny jokes, because joking is the only way he can make it through social situations. Asimov spent almost all his time alone writing and edited a number of joke books. It isn't hard to make the connection.

Did Asimov have a second story along those lines? I remember the one where people thought a Multivac programmer was doing that [Jokester] but it turned out to be an attempt to figure out the origin of jokes, but the ending was the exact opposite of an infinite supply of funny jokes.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #144 on: 02 Mar 2018, 17:24 »

Nah, I got it wrong. In my defense, I read it maybe 40 years ago, but the prosecution wishes to point out that this new gadget called the internet would have let me check. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Hey, here it is. http://blog.ac-versailles.fr/villaroylit/public/Jokester.pdf I can read it again. That's good anyway. It looks like I remembered the conflict right, but got the resolution wrong.

"He's different, he knows he's different and these jokes are the one way he feels he can get the rest of us ordinary schmoes to accept hlm. We laugh, we howl, we clap him on the back and even forget he's a Grand Master. It's the only hold he has on the rest of us."

"This is all interesting. I didn't know you were such a psychologist. Still, where does this lead?"

"Just this. What do you suppose happens if Meyerhof runs out of jokes?"

Meyerhoff, huh? He wasn't trying to cover up at all, was he? I wonder how he felt when the SWFA actually named him a Grand Master.
« Last Edit: 02 Mar 2018, 17:35 by ckridge »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #145 on: 02 Mar 2018, 19:13 »

Baltar is taking care of that.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #146 on: 02 Mar 2018, 23:32 »

Baltar is taking care of that.

Yes, the Commander has still yet to have lowered his eyebrows after Dr Baltar made his proposal to check every young woman in the fleet for 'Glowy Spine Syndrome'.
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #147 on: 03 Mar 2018, 04:32 »

Heh... Robot kinks.
Might have to head over to Union robotics and see about getting it cleaned or grinded.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Geographus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #148 on: 03 Mar 2018, 14:15 »

Never thought I would come across a Pumpernickel joke in QC.

Storel

« Reply #149 on: 03 Mar 2018, 17:05 »

Never thought I would come across a Pumpernickel joke in QC.

I didn't even know Pumpernickel jokes were a thing. Where do you usually come across them?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up