Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So, who will make the next move?

Dale will go to apologise to Marigold
- 21 (46.7%)
Marigold will go to apologise to Dale
- 0 (0%)
Both will be paralysed with indecision, so Momo and May will meet to discuss strategy
- 3 (6.7%)
Spookybot will make an intervention for reasons of their own
- 0 (0%)
Emily comes to visit Marigold just as Dale arrives; complications ensue
- 6 (13.3%)
We join Marten, Dora and Faye reading Hannelore's first letter home
- 1 (2.2%)
Faye starts weirding Bubbles out with her studied nonchallance and hands-off behaviour
- 2 (4.4%)
Clinton and Claire meet and Clinton's current romantic travails come up
- 3 (6.7%)
Mrs Augustus auditions for a spot in Deathmole
- 6 (13.3%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3686-3690 (26th February to 2nd March 2018)  (Read 35434 times)

ckridge

• Furry furrier
Re: WCDT Strips 3686-3690 (26th February to 2nd March 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 27 Feb 2018, 06:19 »

If I were a disaffected young person and such glasses were available, I would always be reading and watching on them, because, really, what have you got that is worth full attention? So, yes, rude, but appropriately rude.

That said, much could be done by taking them off and meeting Marigold's gaze directly. Veiling lets one unveil.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #51 on: 27 Feb 2018, 06:23 »

And it is May, of all people, who urges Momo to have a little faith in humanity, or at least in Dale and Marigold.
Or maybe she just trusts in the power of the boner...  :-D

Actually I think May was telling Momo to have a little faith in her, because Momo assumed that May had given Dale horrible advice. (Which isn't actually an unreasonable assumption.)
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #52 on: 27 Feb 2018, 07:34 »

For AIs, the line between SMS and telepathy is really thin...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #53 on: 27 Feb 2018, 08:14 »

:roll: so you’re expecting me to believe Momo and May have not been in constant contact SINCE their respective peeps got home AND that Winslow isn’t in this group chat?

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #54 on: 27 Feb 2018, 09:03 »

:roll: so you’re expecting me to believe Momo and May have not been in constant contact SINCE their respective peeps got home AND that Winslow isn’t in this group chat?

... and that Pintsize has hacked it and making logs while chuckling all the while....

>: )
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #55 on: 27 Feb 2018, 11:12 »

Sounds like May's been taking profanity lessons from Yelling Bird. Shoehorning two words together like that ("dickroomba", "twatwaffle") was pretty much his hallmark.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #56 on: 27 Feb 2018, 12:21 »

I have decided I like the term "dickroomba"> I am going to steal this and try to work it into casual conversations.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #57 on: 27 Feb 2018, 13:59 »

For AIs, the line between SMS and telepathy is really thin...
Non-existent, I would say. Jeph drew it very nicely too, I think.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #58 on: 27 Feb 2018, 14:38 »

You're all off the mark: a dickroomba is actually a roomba specifically modified to clean up rooms that are themselves comprised of dicks.

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #59 on: 27 Feb 2018, 15:32 »

Dunno about this dickroomba idea. It would be like having A Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks.
I remember this phrase, but right now I can’t recall the meaning. I think it might have something to do with the Dark Times, when forum conduct was not so good. Is that right?

Yes, the UBMEOD was referred to those who flailed wildly over slights in the Great Wars over Marten and Dora's breakup. In fact, the broom that Hanners holds in the Guest Strip by the forumites was a slight nod to said UBMEOD.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #60 on: 27 Feb 2018, 19:36 »

F5
F5
F5
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #61 on: 27 Feb 2018, 20:02 »

Sounds like May's been taking profanity lessons from Yelling Bird. Shoehorning two words together like that ("dickroomba", "twatwaffle") was pretty much his hallmark.

Twatwaffle is, at least, a pre-existing thing.

Just saying.

*waits patiently for new strip*

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #62 on: 27 Feb 2018, 20:43 »

F5
F5
F5

The whole "Sometimes updates at 8pm, sometimes updates at 4am" thing really does make it a bit extra frustrating mid story drama :B

(No offense meant to Jeph, as long as he is happy with what he is putting out, I can deal with a nonexact update time)

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #63 on: 27 Feb 2018, 21:36 »

And it is May, of all people, who urges Momo to have a little faith in humanity, or at least in Dale and Marigold.
Actually, I think the problem is faith in MAY. Momo thinks May has given Dale very bad advice, and that he may actually follow it...

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #64 on: 27 Feb 2018, 21:44 »

Actually, I think the problem is faith in MAY. Momo thinks May has given Dale very bad advice, and that he may actually follow it...

I can see him botching up the whole "apples are nice, but oranges are also nice in a different way" sentiment in a whole lot of ways.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #65 on: 27 Feb 2018, 22:24 »

I can see him botching up the whole "apples are nice, but oranges are also nice in a different way" sentiment in a whole lot of ways.

"apples are nice, oranges are also nice in a different way, but MELONSohwaithatsnotwhatIwantedto..."

Somebody

• Curry sauce
« Reply #66 on: 27 Feb 2018, 23:14 »

Comic.

Well, he didn't. But I meant more in the sense of "Momo has a poor opinion of May as an advisor, and the quality of advice she was likely to give".

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #67 on: 27 Feb 2018, 23:15 »

Like a lot of Jeph's couples, there's an undercurrent of pure sugar about Dale and Marigold.

I just love how they've totally internalised this whole 'apples to oranges' thing themselves to the point that I suspect that cute pet-names will emerge from it. I also suspect that Marigold has spent too much time around May to the point where she's also internalised the 'melons' thing. Not that I suspect Dale minds that!

Jeph did some good work on Marigold's body-language in panel 1 which makes me feel that the cracks have only been papered over. She's still very insecure about herself and, strangely enough, she has difficulty communicating with Dale. I've said this before but it deserves to be said again: In so many ways, they're both struggling to know how progress their relationship beyond 'hanging out' and sex. Maybe it doesn't need any more but I would suggest that this arc contradicts that.

Oh, and cat-smile!Marigold in panel 3 is the high water mark of her cuteness to date.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #68 on: 27 Feb 2018, 23:23 »

Oh, and cat-smile!Marigold in panel 3 is the high water mark of her cuteness to date.
1. It reminded me of the hug that led to Clairten (2800)
2. Much cuter Marigold here than in the strip that Jeph promoted as the height of her cuteness (3684).
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #69 on: 27 Feb 2018, 23:30 »

Fruits Basket is one of my favourite animes (though the manga is better - the anime covers only about 1/3 of it).  The climax of the anime (unlike the manga) is when Tōru realises (as her friends are telling her) that, in spite of appearances, she and Kyō really are meant to be together.  So the title of this strip links twice to the anime - referencing both the drama and the joke (the fruit) which gives the anime its name.

As Tōru comes to this realisation, this piece of piano music plays (this recording is from while I was arranging/learning it - I play it a bit better now).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gyrre

« Reply #70 on: 27 Feb 2018, 23:34 »

Now that it's been established that Dale *does* (or even *can*) turn off his glasses...

I now can't help but think of him as being pretty damn rude 90% of the time he is interacting with people.

Rude or nervous? Maybe in a way he's hiding behind AR symbology and constantly searching for on-line tips and clues because, in the end, he has no confidence in his ability to interact on a social level?

Or he's just got chat filters applied to everyone.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Loki

• comeback tour!
  • The mischief that dwells within
« Reply #71 on: 27 Feb 2018, 23:58 »

Dunno about this dickroomba idea. It would be like having A Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks.
I remember this phrase, but right now I can’t recall the meaning. I think it might have something to do with the Dark Times, when forum conduct was not so good. Is that right?

Yes, the UBMEOD was referred to those who flailed wildly over slights in the Great Wars over Marten and Dora's breakup. In fact, the broom that Hanners holds in the Guest Strip by the forumites was a slight nod to said UBMEOD.
Thank you. I kept thinking it was "Made Entirely Of Dicks", without the "Out", but I was too lazy to go back and check. You using that wording reaffirms my perception of reality.

Re the strip: That was wholesome, but anti-climactic.
The future is a weird place and you never know where it will take you.
the careful illusion of shit-togetherness

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #72 on: 28 Feb 2018, 00:30 »

Marigold's zits are clearing up.  Though she still had a couple in 3681.

(This can be caused by hormonal adjustments as a result of growing up and having sex - true story.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #73 on: 28 Feb 2018, 03:04 »

Yeah, that’s it, Dale. Focus on the attributes where Marigold absolutely and quantifiably has Emily beaten.

Melons. :D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #74 on: 28 Feb 2018, 04:11 »

Feh. Skipped right over the hard, scary part where you actually look at them and talk, where you discover suddenly that your carefully prepared speech is ambiguous and can be misconstrued, where you slip and say melons when you meant apples, when you have sudden feelings that are not only unexpected but that are currently unidentifiable, where she wounds you to the quick unknowingly, where you briefly lose the power of coherent speech altogether, where you consider briefly that perhaps you would rather be an item of office furniture instead, where she looks up from under half-trustingly at you, where she decides to believe you, where possibly your heart will burst but you are not sure from what, and all the rest of the stumbling about in fog bumping into each other. The actual dirty, wet business of communication. That's the part everyone messes up trying to avoid, and damned if Jeph didn't too.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #75 on: 28 Feb 2018, 04:29 »

Jeph has shown hard conversations going badly before, it's where most of the conflict and drama comes from usually.
Sometimes conversations go well, especially when all participants have had time to think and want it to go well.

On Dale's glasses, I think he just likes how the glowing looks and it could be possible sometimes that is all he has enabled when around other people. Although like having a phone out during a conversation, it can be hard to resist the temptation of interacting with the device so he'd have to have some willpower.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #76 on: 28 Feb 2018, 04:30 »

Am I glad it's resolved... Yeah.
Am I glad Dale had those feckin glasses turned off... absolutely.

Was it all too easy and as twee as I hoped it wouldn't be... well.. yeah... :(

(also... I still think the new exaggerated overbite looks really weird)
Covenant

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #77 on: 28 Feb 2018, 05:06 »

It's quite remarkable how sorry seems to come easier than sharing Mikado Pocky.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #78 on: 28 Feb 2018, 06:51 »

It's quite remarkable how sorry seems to come easier than sharing Mikado Pocky.

It seems to me, that Pocky seems to be the hardest splurge...
Covenant

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #79 on: 28 Feb 2018, 07:01 »

I wouldn't have minded seeing more than one strip resolve this, honestly.

Was cute tho.

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #80 on: 28 Feb 2018, 07:53 »

It's a cute ending, but I really feel the whole situation was put together just to make the melon joke. It's nice to see character growth for these two, but I really look forward to seeing what's going on with Hannelore or Marten/Claire or even Faybles (hahaha). It would be interesting to see what's going down at the bakery, too.

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #81 on: 28 Feb 2018, 08:32 »

Marigold's zits are clearing up.  Though she still had a couple in 3681.

(This can be caused by hormonal adjustments as a result of growing up and having sex - true story.)

If someone you know had acne clear up after sex that's probably a coincidence. Birth control pills can change acne (for better or worse—depending on the person and what they take). Sex can raise endorphins, but those do not impact skin. Sex can change the body in other ways, but those are usually temporary changes (unless you count the after-effects of pregnancy ;) ).

There's been a couple comics we've seen where Momo has been working with Marigold to help her make healthier lifestyle choices and work on self-care. That—more than her being in a relationship or losing her virginity or even growing older—is probably what's leading to her acne disappearing.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #82 on: 28 Feb 2018, 08:54 »

I'm not seeing that. Just cuz she might want bone someone in the future and Dale made her blush does not mean she is interested in him as anything more than a friend.

She could just be interested in him as a friend and want to bone him.

Now that it's been established that Dale *does* (or even *can*) turn off his glasses...

I now can't help but think of him as being pretty damn rude 90% of the time he is interacting with people.
I'm actually with you there. Shyness is one thing, but I know I'd find it pretty rude if he seemed to be just ignoring me like that. That said, I know people with similar behaviours relating to their phones or whatever other task they're doing that I just became accustomed to once I had some faith in them.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #83 on: 28 Feb 2018, 09:11 »

She's still very insecure about herself
usually takes years to deal with that...

cloudatlatl

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #84 on: 28 Feb 2018, 09:50 »

The only way I believe Dale is actually looking in that direction in panel four is if Marigold has a poster of herself topless on the wall in the spot Dale is looking.

I'm not bothered by how quickly this was resolved.  It was cute, and we have lots of other plot threads to move on to.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #85 on: 28 Feb 2018, 09:52 »

Regarding Dale's AR glasses and how they used to be constantly on.

Before Dale worked at the Coffee of Doom, he had several jobs, including pizza delivery. I would imagine that he was constantly in contact with his employers; needing to pick up orders, maps and so on. Its not being rude, its Dale trying to earn some much needed money.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #86 on: 28 Feb 2018, 10:19 »

I wouldn't have minded seeing more than one strip resolve this, honestly. Was cute tho.

Yeah, but what about those three strips of May gloating to Momo?

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #87 on: 28 Feb 2018, 10:19 »

(also... I still think the new exaggerated overbite looks really weird)
I think she is being turned into a fuller figured version of Gadget Hackwrench though Gadget did have waist length hair of the nonfloofy type.
Yeah it will never happen with the hair since it is well established that our dear Jeph just hates long hair.   :-\
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #88 on: 28 Feb 2018, 15:54 »

...I think this board has been reading entirely too much Forward.

That, or too much Oglaf...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #89 on: 28 Feb 2018, 16:26 »

Thank you. I kept thinking it was "Made Entirely Of Dicks", without the "Out", but I was too lazy to go back and check. You using that wording reaffirms my perception of reality.

I think the phrase was used with and without the out.

Check with the proud guardian of the original Useless Broom Made Entirely Out Of Dicks.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #90 on: 28 Feb 2018, 16:29 »

"Dickroomba" is my new favourite term to come out of this comic.

"pink haired dickroomba" has now officially supplanted "cheeto-faced shitgibbon" as my favourite insult.

I didn't even HAVE "cheeto-faced shitgibbon" as an insult to supplant.  I was still on "fart-faced suckmuppet".

But yeah..."pink-haired dickroomba" made me laugh harder than I have in a long time.

Win.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

arcanicEmbers

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #91 on: 28 Feb 2018, 20:01 »

Well that was a pretty quick resolution, but just maybe this is going to do what the other arcs have been doing and cut back to Bubbles and Faye next. And maybe May will go try and get more upgrades or repairs to her chasis at Union Robotics and brag to Bubbles about how she "totally helped her dumbass roommate get his head out of his ass and talk to his girlfriend" and maybe that will lead to Bubbles initiating some conversation on her and Faye?

Eh, probably not, but a comic fan can dream, right?
My pronouns are they/them, please and thank you.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #92 on: 28 Feb 2018, 21:09 »

Comic!

You actually called her a Dickroomba but 6 vs. Half-a-dozen I guess.

Also what in Hell is May supposed to be doing in panel 1?
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #93 on: 28 Feb 2018, 21:16 »

I find something adorable about a blue robot lady doing knife yoga in her pajamas for some reason.

Also what in Hell is May supposed to be doing in panel 1?

Plot twist, she's actually really worried how things will turn out, and her court appointed counselor suggested martial arts exercises as a way to calm her anxiety episodes.

She only agreed because it meant she got to play with deadly weapons.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #94 on: 28 Feb 2018, 21:32 »

I appreciated the difference in expressions in panel 3 between May's message emoticon and her actual face. Nice touch.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #95 on: 28 Feb 2018, 21:42 »

I would think the refractory period would be the best part.  With them being too exhausted to continue it would definitely be a lot more quiet for a while. 

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #96 on: 28 Feb 2018, 22:21 »

I would think the refractory period would be the best part.  With them being too exhausted to continue it would definitely be a lot more quiet for a while.
But it's ending and the resumption of raucously rambunctious rumpiepumpies is imminent.   Momo wants to get out while the getting is good.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #97 on: 28 Feb 2018, 23:13 »

I tell you what really stands out for me in this strip: It's May's two sets of expressions. One is the emote she's attaching to her transmissions to indicate the emotion she wants to communicate and the other is her outer expressions showing her reaction to the conversation. Panel 3 especially is very revelatory about her need to put up a tough front when she's really very pleased and maybe just a touch embarrassed by what Momo has said to her.

Now... Panel 1. Is May just mucking around with Dale's tanto or is she actually using a real kata for that weapon? I'm wondering because I sometimes question whether we've been given the full, accurate story about May's background. That aside, her being interested in martial arts opens up several new vistas for interaction, such as her attending the same sword-fighting school as Sam. Does the phrase 'bad influence' occur to anyone else?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #98 on: 28 Feb 2018, 23:23 »

Now... Panel 1. Is May just mucking around with Dale's tanto or is she actually using a real kata for that weapon? I'm wondering because I sometimes question whether we've been given the full, accurate story about May's background. That aside, her being interested in martial arts opens up several new vistas for interaction, such as her attending the same sword-fighting school as Sam. Does the phrase 'bad influence' occur to anyone else?

If she does I hope she's got that whole "arm popping out" thing completely sorted out. Don't want any sword wielding arms to go flying through the air...

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #99 on: 28 Feb 2018, 23:26 »

...I think this board has been reading entirely too much Forward.

That, or too much Oglaf...
"too much Oglaf"... how would that even be possible?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up