THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who's your favorite robot/artificial intelligence?

Arthur
- 0 (0%)
Bubbles
- 27 (32.9%)
Corpse Witch
- 0 (0%)
Droid 06
- 0 (0%)
Gordon
- 3 (3.7%)
Jeremy
- 3 (3.7%)
May
- 12 (14.6%)
Melon
- 3 (3.7%)
Momo
- 12 (14.6%)
O'Malley
- 0 (0%)
Pintsize
- 2 (2.4%)
PT410x
- 0 (0%)
Punchbot
- 2 (2.4%)
Punkbot
- 1 (1.2%)
Roko
- 5 (6.1%)
Seven
- 0 (0%)
Spaceship
- 1 (1.2%)
Spookybot
- 6 (7.3%)
Station
- 3 (3.7%)
Winslow
- 2 (2.4%)
Other (did I miss someone?)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3696 - 3700 (12-16 March 2018)  (Read 37776 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCDT Strips 3696 - 3700 (12-16 March 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 14 Mar 2018, 02:49 »

Just curious - why is it a shame that Clinton feels no reason to hide his identity or what he's doing?  Is a world with less suspicion and paranoia a bad thing for some reason?

The Founding Fathers fought a war to establish rights and freedoms. The 4th and 5th Amendments protect people from being unlawfully detained or giving their names without due cause. All you need to do is stop enforcing your freedoms to lose them.

Hiding oneself is not freedom.  Especially, feeling the need to hide oneself is not freedom.

Being unlawfully detained is another matter, of course.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #101 on: 14 Mar 2018, 06:29 »

If you are a middle-class old white guy, as I am, police are public servants. It is in bad taste to be rude to servants. You say "Can I help you, officer?" and cooperate so far as is moral and prudent. Only if they ask you do do something wrong or dangerous do you bring up what you are legally obliged to do.

If you used to be a little ragged thug of no consequence to anyone, as I did, and police let you off a couple of times when they didn't have to, as they did, this is even more the case.

Not everyone is middle-class, white, old, or a guy, and not everyone stands in this relation to the police. If you do, though, it is foolish to pretend otherwise. If you do pretend otherwise, you are making a service worker's day harder to make yourself feel important.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #102 on: 14 Mar 2018, 06:57 »

You know, every time I see the character of Elliott, it's fascinating how Jeph contrasts his huge physical size with his gentle and retiring nature. He's just a genuinely sweet guy and the fact that he can't stop apologising for wrongs (real or imaginary - remember that Clinton originally started the confrontation that led to Robohand Mk1's fate) just adds to it.

I think that that kind of representation is becoming common enough in fiction that you almost expect it before the "I'm big so I'm mean and gruff" personality. Take Rubeus Hagrid for example. There's a whole Trope page dedicated to them.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GentleGiant

(Good luck brave adventurers who venture into TV Tropes.)

Great big quiet gentle guys are common in real life, too. They get tired of scaring people, and so mute themselves way down so as to avoid it. It is a shame that they have to do that, but the greater the power, the greater the responsibility.

What is particularly pleasing about Elliott is that he is a quiet, gentle badass. He has an excellent "Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave," and an even better "Friend, you have a lot to learn about interpersonal behavior. Come outside with me, and I'll educate you."

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #103 on: 14 Mar 2018, 07:13 »

You know, every time I see the character of Elliott, it's fascinating how Jeph contrasts his huge physical size with his gentle and retiring nature. He's just a genuinely sweet guy and the fact that he can't stop apologising for wrongs (real or imaginary - remember that Clinton originally started the confrontation that led to Robohand Mk1's fate) just adds to it.

I think that that kind of representation is becoming common enough in fiction that you almost expect it before the "I'm big so I'm mean and gruff" personality. Take Rubeus Hagrid for example. There's a whole Trope page dedicated to them.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GentleGiant

(Good luck brave adventurers who venture into TV Tropes.)

I have been accused of being an example of this trope myself.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #104 on: 14 Mar 2018, 07:14 »

Awww. :D

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #105 on: 14 Mar 2018, 07:39 »

Roko was acting aggressively and alarmingly. General policy aside, Clinton might have been prudent to clam up. As general policy, one recommended course of action toward police you don't trust is to bore them.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #106 on: 14 Mar 2018, 08:11 »

Roko didn't have her badge. Not sure what that means exactly in the US, but I'm pretty sure it'd matter.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #107 on: 14 Mar 2018, 09:38 »

Roko didn't have her badge. Not sure what that means exactly in the US, but I'm pretty sure it'd matter.
Generally, it won't, although some judges may have a thing for it, like they did for uniform hats 30 years ago ("He was in uniform but I didn't know he was a cop because he didn't have his hat on" was popular in the '80s.  It isn't anymore.)  Introducing it as a defense will at best get you an eye-roll and you'll probably annoy the court for wasting time.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #108 on: 14 Mar 2018, 09:56 »

Generally, it won't, although some judges may have a thing for it, like they did for uniform hats 30 years ago ("He was in uniform but I didn't know he was a cop because he didn't have his hat on" was popular in the '80s.  It isn't anymore.)  Introducing it as a defense will at best get you an eye-roll and you'll probably annoy the court for wasting time.

Yeah, these days, most things happening in court implying simple citizens could have some sort of... rights, I think it was called, get them an eye-roll from the annoyed judge. Choosing between career and justice seems to get easier everyday.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #109 on: 14 Mar 2018, 10:25 »

I'm pretty sure people not standing up for their rights is what allows "stop and frisk" laws to be enacted, among other things.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #110 on: 14 Mar 2018, 18:36 »

I am equally sure, Jakk Frost, that displaying common courtesy to officers of the law will not lead to "stop and frisk" laws. Telling someone your name is not a capitulation of your rights, and if you think it is, you must be a lot of fun at parties. Freedom to withhold your name is also freedom to give it if you so choose.

If you have genuine cause to believe that handing over your name will disadvantage you or injure you in some way, then of course you should stand up for your rights.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

tut21

• Plantmonster
« Reply #111 on: 14 Mar 2018, 20:01 »

Nice to see Jeph enjoying a beverage.

efindumb

« Reply #112 on: 14 Mar 2018, 20:58 »

What did she do with her harpoon- use it to take down O'Malley?

Gyrre

« Reply #113 on: 14 Mar 2018, 21:13 »

Good question. I'm kind of surpised she was allowed to keep it. I wonder if she's got an outfit similar to that of Captain Ahab?

I am equally sure, Jakk Frost, that displaying common courtesy to officers of the law will not lead to "stop and frisk" laws. Telling someone your name is not a capitulation of your rights, and if you think it is, you must be a lot of fun at parties. Freedom to withhold your name is also freedom to give it if you so choose.

If you have genuine cause to believe that handing over your name will disadvantage you or injure you in some way, then of course you should stand up for your rights.

Unfortunately it's not a simple matter. Some cops really are just trying to help and protect folks, and some are there solely to get a power trip. And that's only part of it from what I understand. I'm sure some other forumite can articulate the issue in a nuanced manner and in greater depth.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Clovis Man

• Not quite a lurker
  • A well-preserved paeleoindian.
« Reply #114 on: 14 Mar 2018, 23:21 »

It wouldn't have survived the fire intact.  And I doubt that her new employer would welcome its business end in the bar.

Edit: My bad. I missed seeing it in panel 5.  Unless it's a new harpoon?
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2018, 03:00 by Clovis Man »
My consuctress on the number 19, she was a honey,
Pink toenails, hands all dirty with money...
== Dire Straits, Wild West End

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #115 on: 14 Mar 2018, 23:29 »

Unfortunately it's not a simple matter. Some cops really are just trying to help and protect folks, and some are there solely to get a power trip. And that's only part of it from what I understand. I'm sure some other forumite can articulate the issue in a nuanced manner and in greater depth.

Please do elaborate on how giving attitude to a cop on a power trip will produce a good outcome. I'm genuinely all ears.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #116 on: 15 Mar 2018, 00:12 »

I just want to go on the record that this is my favourite Brun-featuring strip to date. It reminds us of all the good things about her - Her work ethic, her unflappable approach to reality and her amazing organisational ability that lets her stretch a single sentence out over 10 or more minutes with it still being comprehensible.

I really love Clinton's reaction to it all. He's just sitting back and watching the show in a way that mixes puzzlement and amazement. Whether or not he is attracted to Brun, he surely can't help but be interested in watching her go!

No, if you look at Clinton's glass, he has had a refill between Brun walking by with her harpoon and her dragging a passed-out O'Malley to the door, so several minutes have passed. I'm thinking that, after panel 5 we had something like this happen in another part of the bar: "Good evening, patron. We have noticed that you have enjoyed six expensive cocktails without settling the tab. The manager has send me and my harpoon over to encourage you to settle up before you order another round."
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #117 on: 15 Mar 2018, 04:08 »

Shouldn’t Elliot, as the security guy, be the one handling O’Malley?

Or maybe he’s busy dealing with the half-dozen other drunk robots in the place...
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

SpanielBear

« Reply #118 on: 15 Mar 2018, 04:16 »

It's a shame Clinton didn't try to talk to the tall handsome stranger who was sitting next to him. I bet that would have been a fascinating discussion!  :lol:

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #119 on: 15 Mar 2018, 06:40 »

This is a very good strip. It reveals Brun's character without exposition, entirely by showing her in action, and it is funny. Also, Jeph has a knack for drawing unconventionally pretty women pretty. This educates one's eye for when one meets them out in the world and thereby makes the whole world more beautiful.

I think that Brun mostly shows them the harpoon and explains its use, like a torturer showing a heretic the instruments. It is a fair warning, and when Elliot sees the harpoon going by he knows there is a developing situation. It's always good if the belligerent drunk sees the bouncer as someone who might save him from this crazy bar back.

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #120 on: 15 Mar 2018, 07:38 »

I also like the subtle disappointment coming from Elliot on the fact that Clinton is just there to see Brun.
Nice 180, first to Elliot, Clinton was competition in the 'fight' for Brun's interest,
now he's an interest himself, either romantically or as a friend, and suddenly Brun is the one to be envious off. 

(Oh hi btw, Long time lurker, first time poster, avid reader of QC)
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

WoaLG

« Reply #121 on: 15 Mar 2018, 08:16 »

(Oh hi btw, Long time lurker, first time poster, avid reader of QC)

Welcome new person. Now run while you still can. The forum addiction is real.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #122 on: 15 Mar 2018, 12:03 »

Like I said, Clinton gets none of that. Same with Brun - that could change later of course, but I'll believe it when I see it.

There's always that one guy at the edge of a social circle who couldn't get romantic/sexual attention unless he straight up paid for it, and maybe not even then. He's generally the lovable loser, though the ladies tend to find him likable at best ("he's like a brother to me..."). Clinton may be that guy.
The Vanguard - superhero space opera

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #123 on: 15 Mar 2018, 13:16 »

Maybe. I'm betting that Brun winds up with a little harem of two, who play nicely together when she is otherwise occupied, but, tell you the truth, I am not very good at predicting the behavior of people like me around here. I am likely even worse with little tiny flat people in alternate universes.

efindumb

« Reply #124 on: 15 Mar 2018, 15:12 »

No, if you look at Clinton's glass, he has had a refill between Brun walking by with her harpoon and her dragging a passed-out O'Malley to the door, so several minutes have passed. I'm thinking that, after panel 5 we had something like this happen in another part of the bar: "Good evening, patron. We have noticed that you have enjoyed six expensive cocktails without settling the tab. The manager has send me and my harpoon over to encourage you to settle up before you order another round."

I completely missed the glasses, then again I also missed Jeph's cameo as well.

I can see Brun doing just that with harpoon especially as she would be underestimated. Perhaps a little show of her skill with throwing it was involved as well just to bring the point across..

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #125 on: 15 Mar 2018, 15:16 »

It's a shame Clinton didn't try to talk to the tall handsome stranger who was sitting next to him. I bet that would have been a fascinating discussion!  :lol:

Meh. All he'd talk about is guitars and this crappy webcomic he draws.

</sarcasm_mode>
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #126 on: 15 Mar 2018, 17:15 »

Please do elaborate on how giving attitude to a cop on a power trip will produce a good outcome. I'm genuinely all ears.

Dear FSM how did we drift so far that exercising a civil right is "giving attitude"?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #127 on: 15 Mar 2018, 17:22 »

I believe the right is not to identify yourself if you don't want to.  There seems to be a suggestion here that because you needn't, you shouldn't, even when there's no reason not to.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #128 on: 15 Mar 2018, 17:34 »

Dear FSM how did we drift so far that exercising a civil right is "giving attitude"?

I am specifically referring to the script produced earlier in the thread. I am certainly not implying that exercising a civil right is giving attitude, and I'm a little put out that you thought so.

Edit: anticipating the question, "What attitude, Tova?"

- Whats your name, citizen?
- I do not wish to give you my name unless I am being detained.
- What are you doing out so late?
- Am I being detained?
-Hm. Right. Well. Carry on then.
- I don't need your permission.  <--- this attitude, right here
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2018, 17:44 by Tova »

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #129 on: 15 Mar 2018, 18:03 »

Maybe the whole police/civil rights/yada yada discussion could be taken elsewhere? Cause it IS kinda off topic.

Nice seeing Brun again. Poor Elliot tho.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #130 on: 15 Mar 2018, 18:25 »

Yes, in particular, if we want to drift from the specific scenario in the comic to the more general topic of civil rights and whatnot, I'd be happy to converse and be educated in a separate thread.

Back to the strip, I hope that we stick with these cast members for a little while, rather than having a short interlude and then back to the current main cast.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #131 on: 15 Mar 2018, 18:53 »

New comic...

I'll note that Roko's mental version of Clinton doesn't seem to have a robot hand.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #132 on: 15 Mar 2018, 19:03 »

Brün's harpoon has been edited for comic convenience. An actual harpoon is much longer.

Also I discovered that there is a place on the Jersey shore, not too far from Philly, called "Harpoon Willy's". Wonder if it resembles Brün's original place?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #133 on: 15 Mar 2018, 19:05 »

New comic...

I'll note that Roko's mental version of Clinton doesn't seem to have a robot hand.

He still seems to be slightly shorter than Roko, judging from the door frame. Maybe she's not so good at fantasizing....

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #134 on: 15 Mar 2018, 19:18 »

Or maybe what she thinks she wants is one thing, and what she actually finds attractive is something else.

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #135 on: 15 Mar 2018, 19:34 »

Given her emerging attraction to Clinton and apparent bread fetish, I can imagine Roko getting a bit flustered if the two of them happened to visit The Secret Bakery at the same time.

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #136 on: 15 Mar 2018, 19:39 »

It's weird that Clinton started out as just the unsympathetic creeper who scared Hannelore, and now he's had FOUR love interests (five if you count Purple-Haired Waitress).

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #137 on: 15 Mar 2018, 19:53 »

I empathize so much with Roko. She has the problem I do of acting completely weird around guys and not knowing what to do. I'm guessing that she is also pretty inexperienced in relationships, similar to myself.

It's difficult! And unfortunately Clinton is already interested (very interested) in someone else. He's not really available.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #138 on: 15 Mar 2018, 20:19 »

Poor Roko. Girl's got an itch that's not being scratched, emotionally or otherwise.

It's difficult! And unfortunately Clinton is already interested (very interested) in someone else. He's not really available.
And if that interest isn't Elliot, I will flip this table!
(I kid, I kid.)

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #139 on: 15 Mar 2018, 20:37 »

Definitely. She needs to get laid, badly.

And to paraphrase Jason Stackhouse from True Blood, I don't think that dog (Clinton) barks that way. I wonder how Elliot will handle that. I hope they can at least be good friends?
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

efindumb

« Reply #140 on: 15 Mar 2018, 21:40 »

Given her emerging attraction to Clinton and apparent bread fetish, I can imagine Roko getting a bit flustered if the two of them happened to visit The Secret Bakery at the same time.

That's too logical, so of course it'll never happen. Maybe at Coffee of Doom? That sounds about right, especially with a Dora/Emily squee-fest afterward

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #141 on: 15 Mar 2018, 22:48 »

Definitely. She needs to get laid, badly.

And to paraphrase Jason Stackhouse from True Blood, I don't think that dog (Clinton) barks that way. I wonder how Elliot will handle that. I hope they can at least be good friends?

Perhaps the right AI just hasn't come along.  If anything Clinton's fascination with robotic appendages and Dr. Ellicot-Chatman's work makes him seem the most likely person to pursue a relationship with an AI.  Roko might just be the best love connection because I'm not sure if Brun will ever go beyond friendship with Clinton and I don't think he's into men so that eliminates Elliot as an option. 

That being said Roko seems to have fetish for baked goods and tall men so that could work out for Elliot...  if he's interested. 

Alexander Krizak

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #142 on: 15 Mar 2018, 23:35 »

So... that appears to be a picture of Roko and Melon. Are they, perhaps, the AI equivalent of siblings?

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #143 on: 15 Mar 2018, 23:44 »

I also like the subtle disappointment coming from Elliot on the fact that Clinton is just there to see Brun.
Yeah - I just want to give Elliot a big hug. He was happily talking to Clinton and then he gets a reminder that this guy he is crushing on is only/mainly here to see the woman they're both crushing on. Ouch.

I want good things to happen to Elliot.

efindumb

« Reply #144 on: 15 Mar 2018, 23:51 »

So... that appears to be a picture of Roko and Melon. Are they, perhaps, the AI equivalent of siblings?

Maybe roommates? She seems to be pretty low in the state police, she might need to have a roommate if only to split the cost of rent.

WoaLG

« Reply #145 on: 15 Mar 2018, 23:56 »

Maybe roommates? She seems to be pretty low in the state police, she might need to have a roommate if only to split the cost of rent.

Is it common to take formal(-ish) pictures with your roommate and frame them on your wall? I try to avoid my roommates whenever possible.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #146 on: 16 Mar 2018, 00:17 »

It seems to be Clinton's fate to either attract or be attracted to girls with whom a relationship would probably be a high-stress and high-maintenance endeavour. I know that some people would regard having Emily, Brun and Roko as 'possibles' as a good thing but I suspect Clinton wouldn't.

Meanwhile, I feel the need to give poor, lonely Roko a hug. However, based on her fantasy, she doesn't want a hug. She wants to have bread products applied to her naked chassis! Well, each to their own. However, I still find it interesting that she told O'Malley that sex isn't enough and she also wants companionship. I find myself wondering just where Jeph may be planning to take her story.

Anyway, the soundtrack of panel 3 sounds like this:

♫I believe in miracles
Where you from♪
♫You sexy thing, sexy thing you
I believe in miracles♪
♫Since you came along
You sexy thing♪

I'm sort of hoping that she and Melon were from the same batch of AIs all compiled together and were initially settled in the physical world together. Maybe we can have 'Mel' and 'Ro' meeting up at some point in the future and we realise that silly Melon is actually more clear-thinking about certain things than the outwardly more 'normal' Roko.
« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2018, 00:23 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

DaiJB

• Utterly clueless.
« Reply #147 on: 16 Mar 2018, 00:28 »

Roko is still falling over...  :lol:

Roko does have a bread fetish...

Roko has pastel-pink fantasies, just how those of humans are often described....(Does that mean someone deliberately programmed AI brains to think like that?) 

But seriously - Clinton??...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #148 on: 16 Mar 2018, 00:37 »

Can some people oriented toward guys tell me whether Clinton is even attractive?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #149 on: 16 Mar 2018, 00:38 »

Good eye - I hadn't even noticed it.  The AI equivalent of cousins, or, Gods help us, from their days together at the State Police academy and Melon is an under cover cop?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up