Marten
- 6 (5.3%)
May
- 9 (7.9%)
Momo
- 0 (0%)
Pintsize
- 0 (0%)
Other no.1 (Please specify in your comment)
- 6 (5.3%)
Other no.2 (Please specify in your comment)
- 0 (0%)
Other no. 3 (Please specify in your comment)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3701-3705 (19th to 23rd March 2018)  (Read 25399 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

Okay, after deciding that my first poll idea would probably break the shipping rules, I decided on a simple opinion poll: Who do you think are the current primary characters - the characters to whom the focus will continue to return - in the strip? Rather than give an exhaustive list, I've decided to just name the leading contenders or give you the chance to name three completely different characters.

My options are hardly original - Faye, Bubbles and Clinton. I'm thinking that the Faye-Bubbles axis is something to which Jeph will keep coming back to, both to tell their story and also to explore the differences and similarities to humans and synthetics in his world. As for Clinton, I suspect that he's Marten's replacement as the nice boy with far too many romantic options and too little self-confidence to pursue them.

What about this week? I'm expecting the scene at The Horrible Revelation to continue. However, either this week or next week, I'm expecting it to come to some conclusion that launches the next phase of Clinton's arc, either by setting him a ship or by really cutting him loose so that Jeph can take him somewhere else and perhaps somewhere unexpected.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cloudatlatl

• Not quite a lurker
Re: WCDT strips 3701-3705 (19th to 23rd March 2018)
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2018, 20:52 »

Comic is up.  This pleases me.

Also: I picked one 'other' in the poll because I think we might get an update on Hannelore's journey soon.

Maelphaxerazz

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2018, 21:01 »

Despite his claims to the contrary, Clinton actually is being pretty suave right now.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #3 on: 18 Mar 2018, 21:04 »

He's only suave by accident. When the thinks about it, he over-thinks and stumbles over himself. A pretty common affliction. Also, awww... Embarrassed Elliot is so gosh-darn cute.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #4 on: 18 Mar 2018, 21:12 »

Elliot needs a hug, I think.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2018, 21:59 »

He's only suave by accident. When the thinks about it, he over-thinks and stumbles over himself. A pretty common affliction. Also, awww... Embarrassed Elliot is so gosh-darn cute.

Well it helps that Clinton is tipsy and not romantically interested in the person he's talking to

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #6 on: 18 Mar 2018, 23:20 »

Who's going to be the brave soul to compliment Clinton on his flirting right now?
oh god

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2018, 00:23 »

Clinton actually is showing a little of what also makes Claire who she is - He too has the mistimed sass and the tendency to try to deal with tension by way of strange humour.

Meanwhile, poor Elliott still is trying to get over his tendency to treat relationships like a competition. Worse he's still always looking for proof that he's losing. He really needs a well-intentioned friend with a poor sense of personal boundaries to push him forwards. :-D

Who's going to be the brave soul to compliment Clinton on his flirting right now?

I'm pretty sure that Clinton would be shocked by that knowledge.
~~~~

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2018, 00:46 »

Voted 'other' for Roko.  :-D

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2018, 01:45 »

And one more for Roko (and Bubbles and Eliot). The three characters looking for others...

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2018, 03:32 »

I'm pretty sure that Clinton would be shocked by that knowledge.

That would be the 'bravery' portion of explaining it to him!
oh god

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2018, 04:26 »

I'm seeing the family resemblance between Clinton in Claire in that last panel. 

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2018, 05:16 »

Actually I'm seeing a weird resemblance between him and (old) Faye- closed eyes, drunk, sassy grin. I think it's Jeph's shorthand for "This person is pissed and is not thinking about the effect their words are gonna have".

Which leads me to a question- Is the portrayal of alcohol consumption in the comic becoming more negative? It no longer seems to be the spur for fun stuff like beer sledging or dressing up. Instead it seems to more frequently be the mode for showing a character not at their best. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, just wondering if that was something anyone else had picked up on.

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #13 on: 19 Mar 2018, 05:42 »

Which leads me to a question- Is the portrayal of alcohol consumption in the comic becoming more negative? It no longer seems to be the spur for fun stuff like beer sledging or dressing up. Instead it seems to more frequently be the mode for showing a character not at their best. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, just wondering if that was something anyone else had picked up on.

Faye doesn't drink (unless I'm forgetting something, which is probable) anymore since her period of alcoholism and most of the time the other characters seem to abstain from drinking around her, and they can't just exclude her, so when they want to have fun as a group, it usually doesn't usually involve alcohol. So there are probably just less chances to show happy drinking and more to show sad drinking since sad characters usually aren't with the group.

But it's not gone completely. I think there was a strip not too long ago where Faye came home to find everybody in the apartment hammered and having a grand old time.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #14 on: 19 Mar 2018, 06:52 »

Why on earth is Elliott so shy and insecure? He is reasonably good-looking, physically impressive, physically competent, and so healthy and fit that his body must be continually bathing him in feelings of confidence and content. Even if we suppose that he is one of those shy guys who spends a lot of time in a weight room under headphones because moving iron is easier than making eye contact, he is still startlingly insecure. Is it because he can't get either Clinton or Brun to look at him, and it is wearing him down? But then why are there not other candidates vying for his attention? It has been a long time since I stayed at a bar till it closed, but back then I don't remember the bouncer going home alone unless he was an actual troll, pupilless eyes, spiked club, continually moving green flesh and all.

Maybe he is one of those soft, pale guys who don't show their muscle till they get really pumped, and who look like the Pillsbury Doughboy the rest of the time. I had attributed his lack of cuts to Jeph's drawing style, but maybe he is just smooth. Guys like that can be terrifyingly strong without being particularly striking. I don't think so, though. People talk about him like he is physically impressive.

Maybe he is really young, and just has no idea what he has got yet.

efindumb

« Reply #15 on: 19 Mar 2018, 07:10 »

Why on earth is Elliott so shy and insecure? He is reasonably good-looking, physically impressive, physically competent, and so healthy and fit that his body must be continually bathing him in feelings of confidence and content. Even if we suppose that he is one of those shy guys who spends a lot of time in a weight room under headphones because moving iron is easier than making eye contact, he is still startlingly insecure. Is it because he can't get either Clinton or Brun to look at him, and it is wearing him down? But then why are there not other candidates vying for his attention? It has been a long time since I stayed at a bar till it closed, but back then I don't remember the bouncer going home alone unless he was an actual troll, pupilless eyes, spiked club, continually moving green flesh and all.

Maybe he is one of those soft, pale guys who don't show their muscle till they get really pumped, and who look like the Pillsbury Doughboy the rest of the time. I had attributed his lack of cuts to Jeph's drawing style, but maybe he is just smooth. Guys like that can be terrifyingly strong without being particularly striking. I don't think so, though. People talk about him like he is physically impressive.

Maybe he is really young, and just has no idea what he has got yet.

He reminds me of a "gentle giant" who likely is a good person inside but was likely psychologically abused in his past making him hide his true strength and struggle to socially interact with people who have an interest in him or he has an interest in.

Building off of the mention over the weekend of Claire and Clinton's family, it's likely that the two share a lot in common which is why they are drawn together. This "shipping" of the two may be more of a bromance than "shipping", with the two actually being good friends who help the other get close to who they really are supposed to date.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #16 on: 19 Mar 2018, 08:17 »

Wouldn't surprise me in the least - worth noting that Jeph's made his share of Alcohol Mistakes™, and has quit drinking himself. (I'm guessing that Faye's alcoholism arc is at least partially reflected in that.)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #17 on: 19 Mar 2018, 08:23 »

Current arc 1st alt would be Roko.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #18 on: 19 Mar 2018, 08:32 »

He reminds me of a "gentle giant" who likely is a good person inside but was likely psychologically abused in his past making him hide his true strength and struggle to socially interact with people who have an interest in him or he has an interest in.

Maybe, but he's not mean. By and large, "those to whom evil is done, do evil in return," though seldom to the people who originally did evil to them.  Faye is a perfect of example of someone who has taken damage and who is a mass of teeth, claws, and spiky armor, not to mention some practiced social blindness, as a result. You would expect that if Elliot had been badly harmed, he would be doing more harm.

Maybe he takes it out all out on the iron and on pugnacious drunks. That can work. 

Gyrre

« Reply #19 on: 19 Mar 2018, 08:40 »

But he's not flirting.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #20 on: 19 Mar 2018, 08:47 »

Maybe, but he's not mean. By and large, "those to whom evil is done, do evil in return," though seldom to the people who originally did evil to them.  Faye is a perfect of example of someone who has taken damage and who is a mass of teeth, claws, and spiky armor, not to mention some practiced social blindness, as a result. You would expect that if Elliot had been badly harmed, he would be doing more harm.

Maybe he takes it out all out on the iron and on pugnacious drunks. That can work.
Different people deal with it differently.

Who's to say Elliot's father wasn't just as big as he is but with a nasty temper? That'd lead to one of two results; Elliott being just like his father or Elliott being timid and bashful.
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 19 Mar 2018, 09:14 »

I think that we're getting too into speculation here. There is no particular reason why a physically large man should have to have an aggressive personality. Indeed, in many ways, the thought of a person that big being shy, retiring and needing originally Marten's and now Clinton's encouragement to actively pursue a romantic interest is a nice character twist, in my view at least.
~~~~

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #22 on: 19 Mar 2018, 11:39 »

What invites speculation is not Elliot's lack of aggressiveness, but his complete lack of self-confidence. It is not at all uncommon for large men to have gentle ways, because they get tired of scaring people, because people seldom give them any problems, and because, if someone does, it's not a problem. That, however, is not at all the same thing as lack of self-confidence. It is, in fact, self-confidence. What we are seeing here is Elliot blushing, hanging his head, and saying "Oh. Sorry. I'm stupid." That is not gentleness. That is self-deprecation.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #23 on: 19 Mar 2018, 12:43 »

When you're Elliot's size or bigger, what you get used to is that when you come around a corner too close to people, some of them yelp and jump away.  If you move too quickly, you see startled people's heads jerk around in alarm, and in a bad situation you may notice a police officer's hand reflexively dropping to his or her holster.   You get used to coming down the street on foot and, if it's uncrowded, seeing people a block ahead crossing to avoid being on the same sidewalk as you.

The whole social-interaction thing is very much a series of mixed messages for very large men.  A bunch of it is that the way most people interact with you is about your size, rather than being about anything else about you.  Some people feel like they have something to prove by messing with you.  Some people want to be your friend because your size makes them feel safe.  A lot of people resent you because of your perceived 'privilege.'   A few people are attracted to you on account of your size.  More than a few tend to fall into a sort of de-sexualized child/adult interaction - possibly because your size may remind them of being children, possibly just because it places you in category 'unrelatable other,' as though you were a different species, and any kind of personal relationship is clearly impossible. 

And finally there are a significant number of people who are just plain terrified of you, no matter what, because you remind them of someone who happened to them in the past - possibly when they were small children.  That's not your fault and it's not theirs, and they may be ashamed of the fear and they may be trying to get over it and they may be trying to keep it secret and they may not, but there isn't jack you can do about it except you just try to move past them without causing any more pain.

Don't look at Elliot and think that his physique ought to fill him with confidence.  That isn't how it's going to work.  Most of the time it probably fills him with "well, I wonder how this next person's going to handle it...."

Which, in the end, isn't that different on a personal level from "wondering whether I can get along with this next person" so to some extent it's a universal experience.  It's different, but being bigger doesn't make it particularly better. 
« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2018, 13:13 by Morituri »

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #24 on: 19 Mar 2018, 13:42 »

What is the basis of your experience here? I am not challenging your authority by asking this, but rather trying to figure out why your perspective is different from mine. I have been a light-heavy most of my life, though I am no longer of much consequence physically, being old. I mostly know large men from dojos, where they might be expected to have more of a feeling of being up to whatever might arise, since being large is a substantial advantage in dojo.

That said, in my experience large men generally know that smaller people have problems with them, but do not think of this as their problem.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #25 on: 19 Mar 2018, 14:28 »

I'm six feet ten inches tall, three hundred thirty pounds.  (208 cm, ~150Kg)  And spent much of my youth bucking bales, working cattle, clearing brush, chopping wood, and building fences, so I got the muscles that some other people built in gyms.  On the one hand it's really nice to be very strong; I can lift heavy things out of places where they've been stuck for ages when it's time to move or get rid of them.  On the other, sitting in compact cars can be challenging, and I can't usually buy clothes off the rack. 

But, most of my life, the difficulty strangers have had with my size has more or less directly become my problem, one way or another.  I don't get to ignore those troubles or pretend that they don't exist.  It's less an issue now that I'm older; I think seeing some gray hair makes me less threatening.  But it's still often an issue.

« Last Edit: 19 Mar 2018, 14:34 by Morituri »

DannyboyTheDane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #26 on: 19 Mar 2018, 14:46 »

Oh, sweet, sweet Elliot ... I just want to give him a hug. I can absolutely relate to those self-deprecating feelings.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #27 on: 19 Mar 2018, 17:10 »

Also 6 foot, so YEAH used to folks being skitish & compensating by being very polite...

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #28 on: 19 Mar 2018, 18:04 »

Well, all right then. Being really big and strong can erode your confidence around people. I kind of hate that that's the case, but there it is.

efindumb

« Reply #29 on: 19 Mar 2018, 19:21 »

Different people deal with it differently.

Who's to say Elliot's father wasn't just as big as he is but with a nasty temper? That'd lead to one of two results; Elliott being just like his father or Elliott being timid and bashful.

That's not factoring in his schooling as kids in school could just as easily have been brutal to him for his large size making him feel like a loser or freak for being different.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #30 on: 19 Mar 2018, 20:27 »

The guy's faces in the first panel. They were literally doing :) faces...

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #31 on: 19 Mar 2018, 20:29 »

Hmmm, scones....  :-D :-D

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #32 on: 19 Mar 2018, 22:07 »

I'm thinking Elliot might be the best match for Roko.  Just talking about baking could cause steam in her stride. 

efindumb

« Reply #33 on: 20 Mar 2018, 00:08 »

Eliot just hit the motherlode there. It all adds up to why he's so anxious and scared to make a move on Brun or Clinton: he's smart, passionate about something most don't understand, large, strong...the perfect storm for someone who is a great person but whose self-esteem has been brutalized by others.

Clinton is starting to be a good friend to Eliot, it'll be great to see where this goes as they bang out things others may not have been able to bang out of them.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #34 on: 20 Mar 2018, 00:13 »

I do love panel 1 of today's comic. The look on Eliot and Clinton's faces as they look at Brun; it is clear that they are watching the Goddess of Barmaids dancing her sacred dance. I just wonder how long it will be (if ever) before one of them has the self-confidence to approach her? Frankly, I'm not sure if that would work out well; Brun has only just got her head around the fact that someone can express romantic interest in her without being a letch!

Elliott's monologue was interesting; it reveals a key thing about him: That his passion is bakery. Just because he is huge and strong does not mean that his dreams are in any way in aggressive undertakings. His first love is baked goods and the making thereof.

He also has clearly learned sass (probably from Renee) based on that crack about the perfect scone.
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #35 on: 20 Mar 2018, 02:20 »

Elliott is a passionate baker. Roko has a bread fetish. Could it end with a loaf-story?
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #36 on: 20 Mar 2018, 03:05 »

Could Elliot rise to the occasion?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #37 on: 20 Mar 2018, 04:08 »

The simplest way for there to be a best scone but not a best loaf of bread would be for scones to be a well-defined category and bread to be a loosely-defined category, so that when talking about bread one was really talking about several different kinds of thing, each with its own particular way of being good. I think that is more Aristotelian logical analysis than set theory, though.

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #38 on: 20 Mar 2018, 04:46 »

I really had to ponder this one - there are certainly more than 3 "important" characters in QC.

The easiest one to choose (for me) was Faye - she still strikes me as being a character around whom events revolve.

Marten, no - he has faded into the background a lot - a pity, imo ... I always rather liked our first protagonist. Now that he's settled into a comfortable relationship with Claire, he doesn't seem to be pushed to the foreground anymore. (Has anyone else noticed that? - Find a comfortable partner and fade into the scenery? It happened to Steve and Cossette, it happened to Penelope and Wil, it seems to be happening to Dora and Tai, even Veronica and Jim...)

I definitely wanted to choose one of the AI cast, as the strip seems to be focusing more on AI matters lately.
Definitely NOT Pintsize - he is still just the random shenanigans around the periphery  :-D

Not Momo either - she seems to be just a foil for May, rather like Winslow was for Pintsize.

I was tossing up between Bubbles and May, but in the end, I settled for May - I don't like her asshole tendencies (Dale got that one right!), but I see her as having the most opportunity to develop as a character.

My third was "Other No. 1" - Hannelore. I can't see her disappearing off the radar just yet, just absent for the immediate future.

"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #39 on: 20 Mar 2018, 09:11 »

And then of course there's baguettes, which are like the illuminati of the bread world. 

Seriously, whenever you see a depiction of someone getting bread, it's always a baguette, even in ancient Saudi Arabia, as seen in Disney's 'Aladdin'.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #40 on: 20 Mar 2018, 13:20 »

Hey guys I should have commented on this last week when it was more relevant but I finally found the strip I was looking for. It's probably a far-fethed thought of mine because I suppose many A.I. can look alike on the outside (same way we have our own dopplegangers!). But this guy on the third panel: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3577

Could it be Roko's cop-buddy talking about Roko?!?!?!?!

Jeph said the stache was onyl a sharpie so.....?  :-D

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #41 on: 20 Mar 2018, 18:04 »

I’m pretty sure that’s Punchbot. For one thing, he’s talking about his ex-girlfriend, and Roko & O’Malley don’t come across as exes.

I don’t think we know who Punchbot is talking about in that strip. I have wondered if it might be Bubbles, but that is unsupported by any evidence so I doubt it.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #42 on: 20 Mar 2018, 18:12 »

Punchbot is grey, not blue, though.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #43 on: 20 Mar 2018, 19:33 »

And now I am thinking about Russell's Teapot. (why couldn't Elon Musk have put a teapot into orbit around the Sun between Earth and Mars? instead of a car? showoff... )
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #44 on: 20 Mar 2018, 20:06 »

New comic...

And it all makes sense now! The entirety of QC is simply the origin story of the Shame Orb!
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

efindumb

« Reply #45 on: 20 Mar 2018, 20:16 »

Punchbot is grey, not blue, though.

Punchbot also has something on his head that looks like circles where his ears would be...

I have to wonder if it's a default chassis design since Higgs has a similar design but in copper and Barry has a similar one but in bronze and with an antenna attached.

efindumb

« Reply #46 on: 20 Mar 2018, 20:16 »

New comic...

And it all makes sense now! The entirety of QC is simply the origin story of the Shame Orb!

But are we a manifestation of the Shame Orb or is it a manifestation of us?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #47 on: 20 Mar 2018, 20:21 »

Turns out that in the future, Marten will become the Shame Orb.

Totally canon.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #48 on: 20 Mar 2018, 20:46 »

Now I want to hug Clinton, too.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #49 on: 20 Mar 2018, 21:54 »

New comic...

Really?  That seems so anticlimactic.  Now if Clinton as an AI loyalist was downloaded into a sentient tree only to have his personality reincarnate into a simulated program throughout the centuries that would be cool. 
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up