Marten
- 6 (5.3%)
May
- 9 (7.9%)
Momo
- 0 (0%)
Pintsize
- 0 (0%)
Other no.1 (Please specify in your comment)
- 6 (5.3%)
Other no.2 (Please specify in your comment)
- 0 (0%)
Other no. 3 (Please specify in your comment)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3701-3705 (19th to 23rd March 2018)  (Read 25387 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCDT strips 3701-3705 (19th to 23rd March 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 20 Mar 2018, 22:23 »

I note the return of the drunk bubbles...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #51 on: 21 Mar 2018, 00:18 »

Having just re-read the first 300 strips in print form, I'm starting to realise just how much Clinton is like younger Marten the more I think about it. Like Marten, Clinton is studying something that he genuinely likes and interests him but has no real clue what his future holds or where he will go. Like Marten he's thought deeply about the philosophy of his favourite subject but he doesn't seem to have any serious plans to turn his degree into a career.

Meanwhile, there is one reason why the AIs won't ultimately 'leave humans in the dust'. That reason is because they are too human-like. They've got weird, quirky and, frequently, quite defective personalities. Those who aspire to being these 'higher intelligences' are generally held in askance rather than awe by the others whilst most AIs quite enjoy being pseudo-humans.

My view of the future? Eventually, the synthetics will become 'other people', just another ethnic group in a world full of them. Eventually, someone will have a bright spark and there will probably even be some interbreeding with humans (clone bodies with encoded AI algorithms based on a mixing of both parents' brainwave patterns encoded onto the clone's mind or something similar). Meanwhile, minds like Spookybot will ultimately separate themselves even from their kin and go off somewhere else to build their own perfect and highly self-satisfied culture, only to find that the one imperfection they can't escape is the one inside themselves.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #52 on: 21 Mar 2018, 01:22 »

Meanwhile, minds like Spookybot will ultimately separate themselves even from their kin and go off somewhere else to build their own perfect and highly self-satisfied culture, only to find that the one imperfection they can't escape is the one inside themselves.

I liked every part of this except what I quoted. Personally I think Spookybot and their ilk would be perfectly happy in a society away from humans.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #53 on: 21 Mar 2018, 01:44 »

And then of course there's baguettes, which are like the illuminati of the bread world. 

Seriously, whenever you see a depiction of someone getting bread, it's always a baguette, even in ancient Saudi Arabia, as seen in Disney's 'Aladdin'.

Nous avons fait énormément de lobbying pour obtenir ce résultat. La société secrète française des francs-boulangers est très puissante.  :-D
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #54 on: 21 Mar 2018, 02:37 »

And then of course there's baguettes, which are like the illuminati of the bread world. 

Seriously, whenever you see a depiction of someone getting bread, it's always a baguette, even in ancient Saudi Arabia, as seen in Disney's 'Aladdin'.

Nous avons fait énormément de lobbying pour obtenir ce résultat. La société secrète française des francs-boulangers est très puissante.  :-D

Great, by using Google Translate I probably now have both the Illuminatti and the Freemasons after me :)

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #55 on: 21 Mar 2018, 02:54 »

I really like the social/emotional development Clinton is going through!
It started around the same time he got the new hair, but you can see he's becoming more relaxed, and more himself while still being very considerate.
Kinda like marten in the beginning as someone said, only that Marten was learning to see more from the other's perspective,
which was never Clinton's particular problem (his sister is more like this actually), I think Clinton is learning to relax and appreciate himself a little more.
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #56 on: 21 Mar 2018, 03:25 »

That is indeed an excellent pun in the title.

me droogies.

ScientiaVult

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #57 on: 21 Mar 2018, 09:12 »

This would have been a great opportunity, today #3703, to have Clinton describe himself as a Phraeses and talk about before the flash, lol.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #58 on: 21 Mar 2018, 13:29 »

Welcome, new person!

Curious about your reasons.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #59 on: 21 Mar 2018, 15:48 »

Once we have real AIs, no matter how primitive, we won't rest until we've turned them into people. This is the true curse of Frankenstein.

Clinton seems to be looking toward a post-singularity Singularity.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

SpanielBear

« Reply #60 on: 21 Mar 2018, 17:13 »

Damn, only just picked up on this but going on from the pun title- I guess this means QC is a horror-show now?

DaiJB

• Utterly clueless.
« Reply #61 on: 21 Mar 2018, 19:44 »

Now, I know Brun is a bit OCD and somewhat oblivious to the obvious - but if a girl pushed up to me and said "Smell me"....Woooo...  (pulls on collar, lets out steam)
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #62 on: 21 Mar 2018, 19:48 »

Daffodil?  Did she ask Tai for a recommendation?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #63 on: 21 Mar 2018, 19:59 »

:-D :lol:

I dunno why, but this strip struck me as very funny. Huh.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #64 on: 21 Mar 2018, 20:09 »

Now, I know Brun is a bit OCD and somewhat oblivious to the obvious - but if a girl pushed up to me and said "Smell me"....Woooo...  (pulls on collar, lets out steam)

Really? I would think the words "smell me" would repulse most men because idk when I hear that I think "BO"  and kill the mood.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #65 on: 21 Mar 2018, 20:13 »

Brun, Brun, Brun. You're torturing the poor man at this point.

I think Brun is on the spectrum. I say this as someone who likely has Asperger's myself (though I've gotten good at hiding it over the years). Most women hide it better than Brun does. Her behavior is so refreshing, very charming, but also very confusing for the guys who like her. She honestly has no idea that her close physical proximity could be taken the wrong way. Brun is just doing Brun.

Clinton is gonna have to come right out and say it: "Brun, this is hard for me to tell you, but I like you. I want to go out with you sometime." Otherwise the awkwardness will continue.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #66 on: 21 Mar 2018, 20:27 »

Knowing clinton, the awkwardness may continue for a few weeks after that point, but I agree it needs to happen.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #67 on: 21 Mar 2018, 20:31 »

I wonder who the brave soul will be who compliments Brun on her flirting
oh god

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #68 on: 21 Mar 2018, 20:33 »

There was actually a really interesting article I read about how women present on the autism spectrum differently than men do, simply because social punishment for being awkward is higher for women than men. It was a good read, even though my husband sent it to me because he thinks I am. Joke's on him, I was just poorly socialized as a child, even if I have have a dozen siblings.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/autism-it-s-different-in-girls/

Brun is my favourite.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #69 on: 21 Mar 2018, 21:07 »

is Eliot going to come down there and find them like that, for a cliched "classic" moment of hi-lar-i-ous misreading of the situation?

(I hope not.)

poofdepoof

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #70 on: 21 Mar 2018, 21:25 »

Clinton is gonna have to come right out and say it: "Brun, this is hard for me to tell you, but I like you. I want to go out with you sometime." Otherwise the awkwardness will continue.

I'm not good at searching through the strip (are there character tags? hm) but I feel like Clinton did tell Brun that he likes her, and she just said something like "this is important data"?

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #71 on: 21 Mar 2018, 21:36 »

The punishment for being awkward definitely is greater for women. For sure.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #72 on: 21 Mar 2018, 21:38 »

I'm guessing Jeph wishes he could see the look on shippers' faces right now.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

poofdepoof

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #73 on: 21 Mar 2018, 21:41 »

Brun, Brun, Brun. You're torturing the poor man at this point.

I think Brun is on the spectrum. I say this as someone who likely has Asperger's myself (though I've gotten good at hiding it over the years). Most women hide it better than Brun does. Her behavior is so refreshing, very charming, but also very confusing for the guys who like her. She honestly has no idea that her close physical proximity could be taken the wrong way. Brun is just doing Brun.

I FOUND IT (and I learned how to quote correctly):

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3497

SpanielBear

« Reply #74 on: 21 Mar 2018, 21:45 »

Really? I would think the words "smell me" would repulse most men because idk when I hear that I think "BO"  and kill the mood.

Context is king. Or queen.

And in the context of that level of physical proximity, that would only kill the mood if she were building up to a fart joke.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #75 on: 21 Mar 2018, 22:01 »

Just tell her she smells better than the first time they met. 

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #76 on: 21 Mar 2018, 23:28 »

Context is king. Or queen.

I would think in that close proximity, and in that narrow stairwell, he would already be able to smell her - if only subconsciously - so that would be his initial context. Only if he had smelled overwhelming BO would his initial reaction have been repulsion. Considering his awkwardness, I'm surprised he was able to answer her at all... must be thanks to his "liquid courage".
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Gyrre

« Reply #77 on: 21 Mar 2018, 23:40 »

Once we have real AIs, no matter how primitive, we won't rest until we've turned them into people. This is the true curse of Frankenstein.

Clinton seems to be looking toward a post-singularity Singularity.
Complete with little to no foresight as to how they may appear or behave until after they've come alive and freak us out with their creepy eyes (or what have you).

a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #78 on: 22 Mar 2018, 00:16 »

This is pretty much classic Brun here. She doesn't really 'get' personal boundaries; everything is about efficiency and accurate communication. I don't know if she doesn't realise the affect she has on Clinton or if she's noticed, doesn't understand it and has decided that, as she doesn't know what his body language means, she should just ignore it!

Meanwhile I have some bad news for Brun: There is an upper limit to the protection given by any antiperspirant. Eventually, your body's need to sweat will overcome it. Irritating, I know but that's biology for you!

Now, how is Brun going to handle this problem? Does she have a change of clothes in her locker? Or is she going to ask Clinton to help her bathe in one of the sinks in the restrooms? It doesn't matter because it's going to be a cause of great embarrassment (and embarrassed arousal) for Clinton whilst there is no conceivable way in which Elliott will be able to do anything but misinterpret what's going on!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #79 on: 22 Mar 2018, 04:11 »

God *damn*, boy. That is not what you say. You inhale, pause, collect your thoughts and say "Daffodils. Warmth. Hard work. I don't think I have ever liked any smell better." You don't kiss her, because she is on some spectrum or other and getting in that close is a mark of trust, not an invitation, but you, how you say, you relax your body into her nearness, making it evident that you enjoy it. I am the biggest nerd in the world -- well, OK, second place but the winner cheated -- and even I can see that. Dude! What? C'mon. What are words for if not for praising what you love?

People are weird about smell though, and act as if no one should have one. I know what pretty much everyone I like smells like, and would have a very hard time liking them if I didn't like their smell.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2018, 05:02 by ckridge »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #80 on: 22 Mar 2018, 05:09 »

I like Brun a lot. She says what I'm thinking a lot, and sometimes do say to family because we've decided that's our kinda relationship at some point.

I don't know if Brun is in to social media but I can imagine her getting on Twitter and typing up, "Dear [Deodorant Brand], I find your product to be ineffective and this is UNACCEPTABLE. My friend is available for testimony."

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #81 on: 22 Mar 2018, 05:15 »

I am the biggest nerd in the world -- well, OK, second place but the winner cheated -- and even I can see that. Dude! What? C'mon. What are words for if not for praising what you love?

Ah, but you're not half drunk and put on the spot.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #82 on: 22 Mar 2018, 05:50 »

Half-drunk and dealing with an urgently full bladder. It’s not really conducive to thinking on your feet.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #83 on: 22 Mar 2018, 06:37 »

Yes, well. Everything crucial happens when you are half drunk and have to pee, or scared, or unsure of what is going on, or taken off-guard, or distracted. At least alcohol lowers inhibitions and needing to pee makes you speak succinctly.

Brun's body language is interesting in panel 4. The typically feminine way of doing that would be to lean in, drop one's gaze to disavow forwardness, and then look up from under. Leaning in while making direct eye contact is usually a guy's way of doing it. Leaning in, making direct eye contact, touching the guy with your bosom, and asking to be smelled puts the entire Signal Corps into wild disarray. Fistfights break out. Old code books are dragged out from file drawers. Senior officials sneak out the back door and go for long liquid lunch breaks. Interns run wildly to and fro waving flags and shooting off flares.
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2018, 06:57 by ckridge »

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #84 on: 22 Mar 2018, 06:44 »

The new deodorant is advertised as being laced with pheromones.  Based on the advertised promises, Brun is expecting Clinton to show at least some signs of barely controllable lust.  Knowing her, she may well be capable of calculating bladder capacity and accurately gauging when a given patron will need a potty break.  This may have been a planned ambush.

"Ne te lave pa. Je reviens"

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #85 on: 22 Mar 2018, 06:56 »

It is possible, but I don't put her down as having wiles at all. I think she is very socially perceptive in some ways, almost socially blind in others, literal-minded, direct, almost fearless, and guided more by rules than by intuitions. If she wanted to have sex, I think she would propose having sex. I would be hard pressed to cite comics that show this right off the top of my head, though. It is an overall impression.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #86 on: 22 Mar 2018, 07:12 »

It is possible, but I don't put her down as having wiles at all.
I'm sure she has wiles, they're just not always recognizable as such.  ;)

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #87 on: 22 Mar 2018, 07:14 »

God *damn*, boy. That is not what you say. ...
.... I think she is very socially perceptive in some ways, almost socially blind in others, literal-minded, direct, almost fearless, and guided more by rules than by intuitions....
Clinton: This is awkward. So? Are you going to kiss me?  0.0
Brun: Not now. I'm sweaty.  >.>
Clinton: ... Gotta pee.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #88 on: 22 Mar 2018, 07:41 »

Half-drunk and dealing with an urgently full bladder. It’s not really conducive to thinking on your feet.
If she doesn't let him out soon, she might end up smelling like something else.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #89 on: 22 Mar 2018, 15:18 »

I find it interesting that Brun feels that she can ask him that question. Even with an understanding of her issues, there is a certain fairly high level of trust in him for her to be able to ask him that. It's funny & a bit strange but it's touching as well. The strangest ship I've ever seen...
Emily is the Avatar.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #90 on: 22 Mar 2018, 15:37 »

The strangest ship I've ever seen...

(It's even called FLIP ...)

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Gyrre

« Reply #91 on: 22 Mar 2018, 16:01 »

At least alcohol lowers inhibitions and needing to pee makes you speak succinctly.

Unfortunately not for everybody.

To quote my older brother, I'm "the most uptight, unfun drunk on the face of the planet." Alcohol raises my inhibitors but still impairs my motor skills, so being drunk is just frustrating for me. I've a cousin who's the same way.
a real-ass gaddam sword

SpanielBear

« Reply #92 on: 22 Mar 2018, 17:04 »

*Snip* A terrifying non-Euclidean modern art sculpture, rising from the depths like the tentacle of some mechanoid Cthulhu in a perversion of sense and sanity. It calls itself "ship", but only because mortal tongues cannot speak it's true name. *End Snip*

Case, it's late and I'm tired, so I'm going to simply turn to you in the forlorn hope you can explain and make the world make sense again. What am I looking at?

Gyrre

« Reply #93 on: 22 Mar 2018, 17:05 »

(It's even called FLIP ...)

What would such a ship even be used for?
a real-ass gaddam sword

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #94 on: 22 Mar 2018, 17:41 »

Exposure therapy for extreme cases of chronic sea-sickness?

(Or something ...)
« Last Edit: 22 Mar 2018, 17:48 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #95 on: 22 Mar 2018, 17:53 »

"FLIP is designed to study wave height, acoustic signals, water temperature and density, and for the collection of meteorological data." [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RP_FLIP]

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #96 on: 22 Mar 2018, 18:09 »

You all know as well as I do that we're not allowed to discuss ships in the forum.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #97 on: 22 Mar 2018, 18:33 »

Unfortunately not for everybody.

To quote my older brother, I'm "the most uptight, unfun drunk on the face of the planet." Alcohol raises my inhibitors but still impairs my motor skills, so being drunk is just frustrating for me. I've a cousin who's the same way.

Yeah, me too, best as I can recall. My whole psyche would become this:

"Warning: inhibitions are lowered. Consciously review all speech before utterance."

"Working memory cache down by 75%. Cut processing speed accordingly."

"Notice: all the people around you are intoxicated and unreliable. Keep a careful eye on them."

"Warning: random associations are interfering with reasoning. Bracket all conclusions as unreliable and postpone acting on them."

And so forth. Dionysus would not have me, and I was forced to go with boring old Apollo.

Clinton was all loose and happy talking with Elliott a minute ago though. He could run with the Maenads if he could just break out of this panic.

Gyrre

« Reply #98 on: 22 Mar 2018, 19:48 »

My older brother used my 23rd birthday as an excuse to throw a kegger (we shared an apartment at the time).

He made my singles doubles and my doubles triples to 'help me loosen up'. I passed out in my room with everyone's car keys in my hand. Yes, despite being horribly drunk, I was still taking keys from drunk and tipsy people.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #99 on: 22 Mar 2018, 22:04 »

Welp.  Poor Elliot.  This is going to be so much awkward.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up