Marten
- 6 (5.3%)
May
- 9 (7.9%)
Momo
- 0 (0%)
Pintsize
- 0 (0%)
Other no.1 (Please specify in your comment)
- 6 (5.3%)
Other no.2 (Please specify in your comment)
- 0 (0%)
Other no. 3 (Please specify in your comment)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3701-3705 (19th to 23rd March 2018)  (Read 25160 times)

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
Re: WCDT strips 3701-3705 (19th to 23rd March 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 22 Mar 2018, 22:21 »

is Eliot going to come down there and find them like that, for a cliched "classic" moment of hi-lar-i-ous misreading of the situation?

(I hope not.)

God damnit, Jeph.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #101 on: 22 Mar 2018, 22:53 »

Yeah... that was kinda lazy.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #102 on: 22 Mar 2018, 22:57 »

To quote my older brother, I'm "the most uptight, unfun drunk on the face of the planet." Alcohol raises my inhibitors but still impairs my motor skills, so being drunk is just frustrating for me. I've a cousin who's the same way.

Yeah... when alcohol lowers my inhibitions mostly it lowers the ones that keep me from alienating people.  So I forget to simplify my vocabulary when talking, don't bother with not blurting out the answer to math questions, stop pretending to not know what they're thinking, stop pretending to believe them when they lie to me ...

Alcohol is dangerous stuff.  I can get in so much trouble so fast when I'm drunk, it's not even funny.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #103 on: 22 Mar 2018, 23:19 »

If only that cop with a bread fetish hadn't gone home Elliot might find someone to comfort him right now. 

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #104 on: 22 Mar 2018, 23:20 »

God damnit, Jeph.

Got here too late! Your comment was the first thing I thought of reading today's strip.
oh god

WoaLG

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #105 on: 22 Mar 2018, 23:41 »

Yeah... that was kinda lazy.

I think it depends on where he takes it from here. Sometimes the best way to subvert a trope in an interesting way is to appear to be playing it straight until the twist.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #106 on: 23 Mar 2018, 00:19 »

Yeah, I figured that something like this would happen. Elliott's insecurities and Brun's innocent lack of boundaries would make something like this quite inevitable!

I'm just loving how Brun is all in Clinton's personal space and really doesn't get what the problem is supposed to be. Whilst I agree that it says a lot about how much she must trust Clinton that she's willing to be so close to him, I don't think that she necessarily perceives the romantic and sexual overtones. To her (and I base this especially on panel 4), it's a case of "Being very close Clinton makes me feel happy and comfortable" and that's the end of it. Given the number of creeps who have propositioned her, 'sex' is something that she likely associates with being uncomfortable and unhappy, even repulsed, so she is unlikely to associate good feelings with attraction unless someone  tries to explain it to her.

What am I expecting next? Basically one of three things:
  • Brun calls Elliott back and insists that she and Clinton smell him too (and he smell them in return) describing it as a 'control sample'; all three up close has some... consequences;
  • Elliott is angry/upset and refuses to engage with them for the rest of the shift; Brun basically forces Clinton to accompany her to confront him after work; it all comes out whilst they're all sitting on a park bench and Brun's proposed solution is... unique;
  • Jeph deliberately harkens back to Hannelore's first appearance with Brun in the restroom, talking whilst Clinton is doing his business; Once Clinton explains to Brun what Elliott's problem is, she convinces Clinton to help her make peace with Elliott.
I have several ideas where this may end up, overall. However, it's my feeling that Jeph is either going to go for Clinton and Elliott starting a relationship or a Clinton-Brun-Elliott triad with both the guys being somewhat hesitant around Brun because them are worried that she's not fully aware of what's happening. Meanwhile, Renee is worried that Brun knows damn well what she's doing and is jerking on the marionette strings a bit too hard. All Brun cares about is that she's happy having two boyfriends; she even feels like smiling most days!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #107 on: 23 Mar 2018, 01:14 »

.... puts the entire Signal Corps into wild disarray. Fistfights break out. Old code books are dragged out from file drawers. Senior officials sneak out the back door and go for long liquid lunch breaks. Interns run wildly to and fro waving flags and shooting off flares.

I am presently reading about Jean Shepherd's experiences in the Signal Corps. Which makes your quote amazingly appropriate.

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #108 on: 23 Mar 2018, 03:57 »

Dammit, Jeph, indeed. This is lazy plotting. Lo, wacky hi jinks have ensued. We are in a situation comedy.

Brun's sensible, truthful "Yes, it is. We're smelling each other," helps a little. It is usually a rule in this kind of lazy story-telling that everyone magically becomes incapable of intelligible speech, so that the situation can be prolonged as long as possible. Brun has not.

There is one interesting thing that could be done here. The decent, human thing for Clinton to do is to chase after Elliot, explain in a few well-chosen words, and bring him back. At that point, I don't know, maybe they all smell each other and decide they are a nest of naked mole rats. They stop this stupid nonsense.

But in Clinton's place I wouldn't do it, because I am a monogamous straight guy, and if you are a monogamous straight guy and have to take the girl away from the other guy, you just do. It's all about the girl. Monogamous straight guys kind of suck that way. Clinton has an actual existential choice here, a choice that will decide how his fundamental loyalties lie. Probably he will take the more trodden path. It will be interesting if he does not, just because we all know more or less how the more trodden path goes.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2018, 08:29 by ckridge »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #109 on: 23 Mar 2018, 04:02 »

Whatever other impulse he might have, I think a dash to the bathroom is in Clinton's more immediate future.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #110 on: 23 Mar 2018, 07:07 »

Poor Elliot.

And now Clinton will probably piss himself...  :evil:

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #111 on: 23 Mar 2018, 09:07 »

Are we sure Clinton actually really wants to be with Brun? I mean yeah he thinks she's attractive but at this point, I think he just wants to pee. Also, we know that Clinton thought Brun liked Elliot (during the arc where he goes to the bar and Elliot accidentally crushes his hand) but does he actually think Elliot wants Brun? Would he even consider that he's taking her away from Elliot?

Clinton has just sat watching Brun work for an hour or so in return for five words out of her. He wants to be with Brun.

Clinton has reason to believe that Elliot has a crush on Brun: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3496, and the next few.

_____

About the whole drunk thing: I would get really stupid when drunk, but not uninhibited. Alcohol doesn't give me the Dunning-Kruger effect, where my stupidity takes the form of baseless self-confidence. I get slow and anxious: "Please, don't take the reading. Put flowers on Algernon's grave for me."

Speed, now . . . Were I ever to have taken speed, I might have found that it makes me smarter and more able, but not nearly as smart and able as I think, and not nearly smart and able enough to outweigh the accompanying bad-tempered obsessiveness. Luckily, speed is illegal, so that never happened.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2018, 09:26 by ckridge »

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #112 on: 23 Mar 2018, 09:18 »

I just wish that Elliot would snap to and figure out that Renee is a perfectly good woman and likes him. Pointless suffering is pointless.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #113 on: 23 Mar 2018, 14:49 »

I just wish that Elliot would snap to and figure out that Renee is a perfectly good woman and likes him. Pointless suffering is pointless.

Good woman? When Angus broke up with Renee, Marigold and Momo started singing “Ding Dong the Witch is Dead”.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #114 on: 23 Mar 2018, 15:20 »

Renee is remarkably like Faye. Angus likes them verbally abusive, and brings it out in them. Faye, I need hardly point out, serves as the unattainable desirable women in this strip, as Helen of Troy, as Deirdre of the Sorrows, despite having no respect for others' boundaries, violently defended boundaries of her own, an unreliable temper, and conveniently placed social blind spots. She is, withal, a good woman. The good ones are never easy, except sometimes in the vulgar colloquial sense.

There are damned few easy women in this strip. Dora is racked by insecurity. Hannelore is as mad as cheese and can't be touched. Brun is a very fine specimen of whatever the hell it is she is, but you have to work that out as you go. Claire is helpy, shy, and awkward. Marigold is only just learning to be social. Tai is about the only exception I can think of, and she is not so much easy as a very experienced, competent girlfriend.

In general, QC is a comedy of bad manners. People rush about madly like dogs in a dog park, periodically slam into each other, sniff, wag, apologize, make up, and go back to barreling around madly again. There is a lot more good-heartedness than good manners in this strip. Renee is no exception.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #115 on: 23 Mar 2018, 17:39 »

Eye of the beholder and all that, snufflebottoms.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #116 on: 23 Mar 2018, 17:52 »

Funny, I had to consider whether it would be OK to talk about Faye behind her back. I guess her being in an alternate universe where word can't get back to her makes it OK.

Faye is attractive because fierce and heated. She really doesn't like being touched and is always on edge around anyone except Bubbles, and responds by attacking forward bravely rather than by withdrawing. She is a fiercely loyal friend, as witnessed by how she wants first to kill and then to console Dora when she breaks up with Marten, and with both her support of Bubbles and her heartbreak when Bubbles initially fails to support her. She has no manners whatever, but a brave, hot heart. It is easy to speculate what it would be like to unlock that heat and direct it toward one. The potential is staggering! Think of how its power could benefit mankind! And it is so pretty, flaring and flickering like a red flower. What could possibly go wrong?

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #117 on: 23 Mar 2018, 20:14 »

Brun seems not to mind being close, physically, to Clinton. Maybe she has feelings that are difficult for her to acknowledge. A lot of people with autism can't deal with physical contact, and some give too much contact and don't understand the rules of touching.

I think Clinton needs to just come out and say "Brun, I like you. I think we should go out sometime" and see what she says. I don't think she has a lot of experience with dating. Clinton might need to figure out how to tell her his feelings, and figure out if she's interested.

I would say it's harder for a woman on the spectrum to deal with romantic type feelings. I've definitely had a hard time with them. It's like feeling everything but not being able to say and do the right thing like other women do. For me it's like being a prisoner. Brun isn't as inhibited and shy as I am, but I'm sure she still struggles.

Her character is important. I'm happy to see a non white (presumably) woman on the spectrum in this comic. Just like me. I feel a little less like an alien.

Though I am frustrated. Just kiss him already, Brun! I'd give anything to have an opportunity like that.

I am a little sad for Elliot, but he reaaaalllly needs to learn to stop barking up the wrong tree. First with Padma, then with Brun, and then Clinton. I hope this finally gives him the motivation to actually find someone who will return his feelings. Again and again he goes after unsuitable people who show zero interest in him. He needs to learn!
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #118 on: 23 Mar 2018, 20:19 »

Er...kiss him once he's sobered up, of course. Kissing him now would be wrong.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #119 on: 23 Mar 2018, 20:29 »

It seems to me, after what Brun said in the last panel, that she knows exaclty what she's doing by standing so close to Clinton...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #120 on: 23 Mar 2018, 20:40 »

I have to point out that Marten and Claire's relationship started out when Marten was drunk. Sort of. Hmm...

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #121 on: 23 Mar 2018, 20:58 »

So does anyone here actually get drunk when they drink and not become super 'intelligent and logical and more responsible'? lol  :roll:

Wouldn't know.  I have (and have gotten in) enough trouble with social situations when I'm cold sober and (supposedly) in full control of my faculties; to further impair myself on top of that would be to court disaster.  That's why I don't drink (much), and never to drunkenness.

(The other half being that I have a terrible sweet tooth and don't like the tastes of most alcohol, and as such would rather just have the juice, mixer, soda, etc etc straight and sweet.  I have found a few exceptions - liqueurs, 'hard' juices, etc - but tend to only have those in single servings.)

Scyne

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #122 on: 23 Mar 2018, 22:12 »

Ok. Hi...

Ok....

So I'm a long time reader and I have never had a moment that I identify with more than now...

I created a forum account to say this...

As someone that is very socially awkward... someone that is non-binary... someone that is queer... and someone that is in a long-term, healthy, polygamous relationship with two very loving partners, can we have a nice romantic relationship between the three of them? I mean please?

I know it's just some rando making requests again, but really, the representation in this comic is wonderful. People just accept other people. They are just decent. People need to see that this can be decent and healthy too.

*falls off soap box and rolls back into the gutter*

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #123 on: 23 Mar 2018, 22:44 »

Hello new person! You make a good point. I think jeph has said that the theme of the comic is acceptance (I believe after Claire was introduced) and a poly relationship between the three would not only give an opportunity to continue that theme, but also it would be a subversion to the cliched "Not what it looks like!" Cliffhanger we find ourselves on. And if there's nothing else this comic loves doing, it's dodging cliches.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #124 on: 23 Mar 2018, 22:58 »

I don't understand WHY Faye is considered so desirable though - she isn't  very kind to strangers or friends and she isn't particularly attractive physically

As someone already pointed out, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Faye may have put on a noticeable amount of weight since she and Marten first met, but she has also opened up A LOT more emotionally, which IMHO makes her a lot more attractive. Physically, she’s not my type at all, but she is exactly the kind of girl I would pursue, if only as a challenge to break through her tough exterior to bring out the big-hearted girl inside that she all-too-rarely shows. I might end up getting hurt – emotionally, and certainly physically – but we’d both have grown in the process.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #125 on: 24 Mar 2018, 08:32 »

Ok. Hi...

Ok....

So I'm a long time reader and I have never had a moment that I identify with more than now...

As someone that is very socially awkward... someone that is non-binary... someone that is queer... and someone that is in a long-term, healthy, polygamous relationship with two very loving partners, can we have a nice romantic relationship between the three of them? I mean please?

I know it's just some rando making requests again, but really, the representation in this comic is wonderful. People just accept other people. They are just decent. People need to see that this can be decent and healthy too.

Hi there, new person! The problem with this, as nice as it would be, is that it's not realistic. Most people aren't poly. I don't believe any of the three of them are. Then there's the fact that Clinton likely isn't into dudes. And the fact that Brun likely isn't into Elliot.

I think it's more meaningful to Elliot's character development to have a moment with himself saying "hmm. I constantly fall for unavailable people. What's up with that? How can I change it?" Elliot needs the rejections to understand that he's constantly falling for unavailable people.

We also might get a good Elliot storyline about how he finds something mutual. That's more realistic and arguably more interesting than a rather out there (I'm all for poly but in this case it simply doesn't apply) poly relationship storyline.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #126 on: 24 Mar 2018, 08:44 »

Maybe Elliot would be a good match for Roko. After all, he's tall, he's got human abs, and working in a bakery he has access to all the day-old bread that Roko could ever want.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #127 on: 24 Mar 2018, 13:29 »

Ok. Hi...

Ok....

Totally agree with you, and I've been hoping for this outcome for the same reason. Poly people get a lot of shit for being who we are so it'd be wonderful to see a positive portrayal for once (only other examples I can think of are Kimchi Cuddles, and the manga version of Magic Knight Rayearth which I've not got round to reading but apparently the main character ends up marrying both of her love interests).

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #128 on: 24 Mar 2018, 18:18 »

The Dreamcast/Gamecube air-pirates RPG Skies of Arcadia has, among its many awesome points, a remarkably healthy and drama-free triangle with its three main characters (swashbuckling hero Vyse, tomboy Aika, and girl-from-the-moon Fina).  IIRC, at one point, someone actually asks Aika if she's at all jealous of Vyse and Fina and she's like "what?  no, not at all."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #129 on: 24 Mar 2018, 18:41 »

Quote from: Scyne

Welcome, sort of new person!

That's one thing that's been missing from the comic since Tai went monogamous. Even back then I think it was being played for laughs more than actually being explored. Maybe Jeph doesn't feel like he knows enough to write about poly relationships. We know he cares about getting things right because of the research he put into Claire and May.

You will fit in fine here!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #130 on: 24 Mar 2018, 18:57 »

I am continually stunned by the confidence with which people make decisions about QC characters' sexual preferences. Clinton is likely a virgin, and Brun too. Elliot is muscly and good-looking enough that someone has likely managed to trip and fall underneath him by now, but he is so very shy that I doubt he is widely experienced. That means that none of them have enough experience to know themselves what their sexual predilections are, and yet people watching them from the outside seem able to decide for them. None of them conform to the norm in other respects, yet somehow it is supposed that they conform to the norm sexually. This is possible, but there is no reason to think it likely.

All that would be necessary for a polyamorous relationship is for two of them to be sleeping with one of them, all of them to know what is going on, and all of them to be on good terms. Not everyone has to be sleeping with everyone. That doesn't seem unlikely.

Gyrre

« Reply #131 on: 24 Mar 2018, 21:32 »

Statistically speaking, we're at least another 500ish relationships (onscreen) away from a polyamourus relationship when comparing to IRL percentages. Factoring in QC tendency towards some exgerated figures puts at probably 300 more to go.

I'm sure Jeph will add in a polyamourus relationship long before that, though. Just not with these 3 since Clinton is at most a Kinsey 1.

EDIT: I'm doing some generous head-maths with data from 2016 on 3 hours of sleep. Margin of error is pretty big here, but polyamourus relationships are amongst the rarest kinds of relationships.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2018, 21:37 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #132 on: 24 Mar 2018, 21:54 »

As ckridge said, though, a possible configuration would be Brun dating both Clinton and Elliot, and that would count as a poly relationship.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #133 on: 25 Mar 2018, 07:21 »

I feel odd discussing Faye's personal attractiveness, because it is right on the line between pretending she is a real person and analyzing her as a literary and artistic creation. I am perfectly happy considering Faye as an intersection of conflicting ideological apparatuses, or as a symbolic representation of something Jeph can't say explicitly, or as an artistic response to preceding fictitious female characters, because in each of those cases I have stepped completely out of the story and am considering it as an artistic artifact so as to deepen and enrich my pleasure when I step back in. (Kinky, I know, but exquisite.) I am willing and able to imagine Faye as she must seem to Bubbles kneeling by her bed, soft, rounded, inscrutably different, utterly familiar, perfectly trusting, absolutely desirable, and to imagine the iron discipline and reckless self-disregard that would let one kneel there night after night, on guard against oneself and others, and never say a word. At that point, I am fully inside the story, and imagining all its characters to be real.

What I can't bring myself to do is to talk about Faye's attractiveness as if she were a real person, but in a manner in which I would never talk about a real person. If I am attracted to her, I am pretending she is real, and if I am pretending she is real, I should treat her like she's real.

Please understand I am not defending this position or urging it upon others, because I do not think it defensible. It is an aesthetic choice.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #134 on: 25 Mar 2018, 10:01 »

Long, long ago there was a thread with a title like "Fat Faye". It's significant because Jeph posted in it to talk about his artistic intent in portraying Faye.

What he said was that Faye was written as someone physically attractive to many people. He gave a list if memory serves.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ckridge

• Furry furrier
« Reply #135 on: 25 Mar 2018, 15:28 »

If one continues it too far into adulthood, though, you wind up like Sven Bianchi.

It occurs to me that I have known ones who ended up like Sven, or like this guy.

The years drifted over like clouds in the heavens.
The ladies went by me like snow on the wind.
I charmed and I cheated, deceived and dissembled,
And I sinned and I sinned and I sinned and I sinned.

But I said to myself, "Ah, they none of them see
   There's part of me pure as the whisk of a wave.
   My lady is late but she'll find I've been faithful,
   And I'll know when I love by the way I behave."

At last came a lady both knowing and tender,
Saying "You're not at all what they take you to be."
I betrayed her before she had quite finished speaking,
And she swallowed cold poison and jumped in the sea.

And I say to myself when there's time for a word,
   As I gracefully grow more debauched and depraved,
   "Ah, love may be strong, but a habit is stronger,
   And I knew when I loved by the way I behaved."

-- Peter Beagle

However, I have known just as many to come out like Tai, deeply experienced at managing affairs of the heart and with an awesome A game.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #136 on: 25 Mar 2018, 16:36 »

What I can't bring myself to do is to talk about Faye's attractiveness as if she were a real person, but in a manner in which I would never talk about a real person. If I am attracted to her, I am pretending she is real, and if I am pretending she is real, I should treat her like she's real.

Pretty sure you weren't alluding to me here. But FWIW, I actually have a good friend who is a lot like Faye, both physically and also in the way she tends to relate to others. If she's your friend, she is more likely to punch you than to hug you, but she also would probably not hesitate to kill to protect you. She's not my type at all, and we'd make a horrible couple, but I still find her very attractive. So for me it is extremely easy to pretend that Faye is real. Almost too real, in fact.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #137 on: 25 Mar 2018, 20:06 »

But I don't think that's what's being mooted as a solution to the Brun/Clinton/Eliot triangle. Because neither of the guys seem to be interested in no-strings sex, with each other or with Brun. The two guys seem to be keen to have a relationship with Brun that is close, and if they where aware of each other, would need to be happy that the closeness they shared with Brun was held in common. That's where it seems (and again, I am not Polyamorous so this is just my limited understanding) to be a polyamorous relationship- multiple partners with a consenting, deep relationship in common. It would meet your initial requirements- the relationship would be neither shifting, nor non-committed.

This of course assumes Brun is up for this. She's a pretty closed book, frankly, so this whole thing all supposition.

Thank you for nudging the thread back towards its topic...

I'm not sure whether Brun is interested in a romantic relationship in any form, but who knows?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #138 on: 25 Mar 2018, 23:37 »

FWIW, it's my feeling that Clinton doesn't believe that Brun is either interested in or fully understanding of romantic partnership. As slightly creepy as it is, he's just consoling himself by being in Brun's vicinity and admiring her from afar.

As somewhat condescending as it is, Brun would have to make an unambiguous first move (i.e. would have to say 'I am doing this because I wish to date you') to get Clinton out of this mindset.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #139 on: 26 Mar 2018, 14:42 »

Eh, some poly people are arrogant snots about it. I'm poly myself, and often find myself eye rolling at other poly people making it sound like some of idealized lifestyle or that it is "the way we should all be". Some people it fits, some people it doesn't. We should all just be who we are.

That being said, even as a poly person, the solution to this love triangle being a triad (or a V) seems sort of contrived. None of these characters have ever shown any inclination towards being poly, for all of them to suddenly be like "yes, this is cool" seems super unrealistic.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #140 on: 26 Mar 2018, 22:15 »

OTOH, none of them have shown any indication they are not interested in being poly, either.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #141 on: 27 Mar 2018, 00:42 »

The thing is, Elliot has clearly shown a negative interest in it, as with all the romantic interests he has had in the comic, he has always seen other possible romantic partners of his attraction as competition (granted, he also tends to not see himself as up to the competition either). That isn't the mindset of a poly person.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #142 on: 27 Mar 2018, 01:09 »

Here's a question: does someone have to be poly themselves to be happy in a consensually poly relationship?

Granted, jealousy will sink a poly relationship - and I don't think Elliot would be happy - but I'm someone who's monoromantic/monoamorous to a fault... yet I've come to the realization that given the right circumstances, I wouldn't have any problem if a partner was seeing someone else, as long as she's open about it with both me and her other partner(s), they're respectful to her, and I'm not treated as a third wheel or a "side-dick".

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #143 on: 27 Mar 2018, 01:14 »

You just described an exact scenario where it is fine. A common issue with poly is trying to make sure it's 'even' but that just isn't how it works. There's nothing wrong with being okay with your partner having other partners when you don't want any.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

KevxD

• Emoticontraindication
  • n00b
« Reply #144 on: 28 Mar 2018, 01:14 »

The transformation of Clint from an annoying dweeb to an interesting, relatable character is very impressive.
The skyline was beautiful on fire, all twisted metal stretching upwards, everything washed in a thin orange haze
I said: "Kiss me, you're beautiful - these are truly the last days"
You grabbed my hand and we fell into it, like a daydream or a fever

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #145 on: 28 Mar 2018, 05:20 »

Global Moderator Comment The extended discussion of polyamory and jealousy has been extracted and sent to Relate. Posts which combined points in that discussion with comment on the comic required some thought, but I think the two threads remain fairly coherent.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #146 on: 31 Mar 2018, 06:38 »

OTOH, none of them have shown any indication they are not interested in being poly, either.

Which is a realistic thing to expect if that's what's happening. The characters do talk about whether they're monogamous.

Dora made monogamy part of her checklist for potential partners. When Tai decided that poly was for other people than her, she told her friends.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up