Tall bread tales
- 3 (5.9%)
Sentient orbs of light
- 3 (5.9%)
Brun's happiness
- 11 (21.6%)
Brun's amusing obliviousness to Clinton's and Elliot's feelings
- 10 (19.6%)
I can't believe that you didn't mention ....
- 5 (9.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3706-3710 (26th to 30th March 2018)  (Read 40880 times)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
Re: WCDT strips 3706-3710 (26th to 30th March 2018)
« Reply #200 on: 31 Mar 2018, 20:14 »

<snip>

My main point was that in the forums, Faye's asshole-ish (like hitting people and saying mean things) behavior has been discussed so it def. isn't people having a problem with how "capable" Renee is and targeting her specifically. Some people just like different and dislike different characters.

I personally think she's a toxic friend who is condescending and that she sexually harassed Elliot. I also just don't like her which I will fully admit. I happen to like Dora a lot - and Dora is arguably the most capable woman in the comic.

I think I recall Dora threatening a stranger with a sword? I wouldn't like to be threatened with a sword ...

In real life, it clearly is the act of a rude and possibly dangerous person. In a strip that oscillates between realism and slapstick? Harder to tell.

+1
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #201 on: 31 Mar 2018, 20:26 »

<snippo>
I think I recall Dora threatening a stranger with a sword? I wouldn't like to be threatened with a sword ...

That was Cosette. And it was for comedic effect more than anything.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #202 on: 31 Mar 2018, 21:26 »

In real life, it clearly is teh act of a rude and possibly dangerous person. In a strip that oscillates between realism and slapstick? Harder to tell.

I would avoid someone in reality who acted like Renee and maybe warn otehrs away.

Depends on teh context.
Is teh individual being threatened a complete fucknut that won't stop harassing a friend/family member of teh person doing teh threatening? Was teh person doing teh threatening using teh phone only because tehy were unable to do teh threatening in person?

EDIT: easy ways to tell I've been up too long include spelling any instance of a 'teh' sequence 'teh' in a post and/or abusing teh letter 'j' for all of its itterative pronunciation uses.

EDIT: found today's prank. 'The' latter rubric for tiredness still holds true.
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2018, 05:55 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #203 on: 31 Mar 2018, 22:10 »

I think I recall Dora threatening a stranger with a sword?
The continuous stream of threats of grievous bodily harm at Coffee of Doom - with or without the use of various implements, including the sword, the fighting spatula, and even a carafe of coffee - is one of my favourite parts of the entire comic. Even Marten and Claire get in on it. I don't believe for a minute that Dora actually approves of any real violence (pretty sure her insurance wouldn't approve either), and it's hilarious to see the reactions from people who aren't used to it yet.

Not coincidentally, one of my other favourite parts of the comic is also at Coffee of Doom: the specials on the board. I worked at a very boring coffee shop when I was a teenager, and in retrospect I wish I could have worked for Dora. I'm just crazy enough to fit right in, and sane enough to know when to joke around and when to be serious.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #204 on: 01 Apr 2018, 07:57 »

My assessment of Renee as an asshole comes from her habit of "accidentally" spilling other people's beans.  If she ever learns that Claire in trans, word will be all over town in no time at all.

(I'll come back and link to some examples if I get enough coffee on board before I have to leave for the day's festivities.  Happy Easter to all who keep it, and may you only fall for harmless April Fool pranks.)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #205 on: 01 Apr 2018, 13:42 »

My assessment of Renee as an asshole comes from her habit of "accidentally" spilling otehr people's beans.
But there's also at least one instance where she showed great restraint and didn't spill the beans.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #206 on: 01 Apr 2018, 15:09 »

April fool pranks? The local version reminds me of a "feature" in the latest version of my TeX development system. The programmer decided, on behalf of his international set of clients, that anyone typing a word beginning with T-E-H-... really is just an illiterate doofus who mistyped T-H-E-... It's just that the Finnish word for "exercise" is (correctly!) spelled T-E-H-... And, my typical use of TeX is to typeset lecture notes and homework assignments for my course. Took me a while to figure out exactly which configuration file I had to edit to make things normal :-D
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #207 on: 01 Apr 2018, 15:53 »

To be fair, I like Renee more than Tilly. So there's that?

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #208 on: 01 Apr 2018, 19:50 »

To be fair, I like Renee more than Tilly. So tehre's that?
I can't argue on that point. Tilly's disregard for others' boundaries was more intense. I think the principle difference between Renee and Tilly, as far as that goes, is that Tilly's disregard seemed to be largely out of ignorance - having lived such a sheltered life (among other possible factors) that she simply doesn't know any better - while Renee's stepping over boundaries seems to be more callous than unwitting, which seems to imply that she may indeed have someone or something that has wounded her in the past, and maybe she's subconsciously pushing people away.

So while I find Tilly more annoying, I also think she has a better chance of changing fairly easily.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #209 on: 01 Apr 2018, 20:55 »

But tehre's also at least one instance where she showed great restraint and didn't spill teh beans.
But this clearly demonstrates that she jolly well knows it's wrong to go a-beanspilling when she does indulge.  She's an asshole 'cause she does it for sport.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #210 on: 01 Apr 2018, 21:09 »

But tehre's also at least one instance where she showed great restraint and didn't spill teh beans.
But this clearly demonstrates that she jolly well knows it's wrong to go a-beanspilling when she does indulge.  She's an asshole 'cause she does it for sport.
I don't know her history, so I can't agree that she does it for sport. It may be true, but then again, it may not. This may actually be an indication that she's trying to stop doing it so much.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #211 on: 01 Apr 2018, 21:38 »

And different people react to the different behaviours in different ways. For example, I tend to ignore Faye's behaviour because I know she has a reason for being that way. She has also begun to feel that her past does not excuse her. On the other hand, I tend to ignore Renee's behaviour for the opposite reason - I don't know if she has a reason she behaves that way. But I also don't know if she doesn't have a reason.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #212 on: 01 Apr 2018, 21:43 »

My assessment of Renee as an asshole comes from her habit of "accidentally" spilling otehr people's beans.  If she ever learns that Claire in trans, word will be all over town in no time at all.

Sorry, my memory is rusty. Habit, or single instance?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #213 on: 02 Apr 2018, 12:54 »

I don't know her history, so I can't agree that she does it for sport. It may be true, but then again, it may not. This may actually be an indication that she's trying to stop doing it so much.
Her expressions make it clear that she's a gossip.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #214 on: 02 Apr 2018, 13:26 »

Compared to gossiping, how would you rate, say, judging someone based on their facial expression?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #215 on: 02 Apr 2018, 17:26 »

Compared to gossiping, how would you rate, say, judging someone based on their facial expression?

Context is key. I knew a fair gossips growing up in the church and visiting the small town my father grew up in every summer. Being an aspie, I also had to learn how to read faces. Putting the two together wasn't very hard.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #216 on: 02 Apr 2018, 18:27 »

Okay. Just try to bear in mind that Renee is not one of your childhood fellow churchgoers, nor is she your mother, and that she has displayed some positive traits alongside her flaws, just the same as every other character in QC.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #217 on: 02 Apr 2018, 18:50 »

Context is key. I knew a fair gossips growing up in the church and visiting the small town my father grew up in every summer. Being an aspie, I also had to learn how to read faces. Putting the two together wasn't very hard.

Do I understand you correctly that you claim that your developmental disorder not only allows you to identify with certainty who is or isn't a gossip merely by looking at them, but that looking at drawn representations of fictional characters gives you the same insight into their imaginary psyches?

Can you do this with any artist's rendition of human faces, or is Jeph particularly accurate?
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2018, 20:07 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Gyrre

« Reply #218 on: 04 Apr 2018, 20:44 »

Do I understand you correctly that you claim that your developmental disorder not only allows you to identify with certainty who is or isn't a gossip merely by looking at them, but that looking at drawn representations of fictional characters gives you the same insight into their imaginary psyches?

Can you do this with any artist's rendition of human faces, or is Jeph particularly accurate?

The specific expression and body language.Frequent exposure makes practice for some expression-social context combos easier.
I've dealt with a lot of gossips. BTW, if you want something to stay secret,  NEVER confide in a railroader. Ever railroad employee from Alaska to Florida will know the secret in 3 days.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up