THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Jumping the gun!

Melon decides to tell Trpr. Roko about a bakery she came across but only on the grounds that she 'keeps it secret'.
Clinton babby pictures
Updates from Hannelore and Winslow!
Reed-Bean family outing
Let's drop by the new robot fighting arena!
Spaaaaaaace! With Station, Dr Ellicott-Chatham, Lt. Potter and Tilly
a week back at Coffee of Doom
Shenanigans with Emily and Melon, dragging Marbear and fairy girl along for the ride.
Just who took over for Winslow at the AI support group, anyways?
A day in the life of Elliot
Emily 'helps' at Union Robotics
Sam 'helps' at Union Robotics
Mrs A offers Brun a room to rent
hello, Amir
Trooper Roko meets Elliot
actual resolution to the love triangle
life from the inside of an allosaurus

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3716-3720 (9th-13th April 2018)  (Read 36540 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
WCDT strips 3716-3720 (9th-13th April 2018)
« on: 07 Apr 2018, 07:31 »

So, jumping the gun on this, but screw it.

Will Brun move in with Mrs. A? Will we ever find out her first name? Will Clinton and Brun get a contact high? Probably a 'no' for that last one, but we don't know if the cookies have "special" ingredients or not.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: WCDT strips 3716-3720 (9th-13th April 2018)
« Reply #1 on: 07 Apr 2018, 08:45 »

Actually, I want to thank you for posting this before some of us get the early comic.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

« Reply #2 on: 07 Apr 2018, 10:08 »

Actually, I want to thank you for posting this before some of us get the early comic.
Oh right, today's Saturday. I keep thinking it's Friday for some reason. Probaby need to go back to bed.
a real-ass gaddam sword

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #3 on: 07 Apr 2018, 12:41 »

FWIW, I'm expecting this week to follow the pattern so far: A day of Roko & Melon followed by four days of Clinton's misadventures.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #4 on: 07 Apr 2018, 15:05 »

IIRC, Winslow only filled in the one time as a substitute counselor, so was there even any need for anyone to "take over" for him?

I think perhaps the simplest way to reveal Mrs. A's first name would be for her to say something to Brun along the lines of "Please, just call me _______." But who knows if and when Jeph will choose to give up that little piece of info?

I love seeing the exchanges between Melon and Roko. Oh, who am I kidding? Between Melon and anybody! She is, I think, my favourite person of everyone we've met so far. Well, maybe a tie between her and Claire. They're just so bubbly!

And I miss Hannelore.  :'(
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Gyrre

« Reply #5 on: 08 Apr 2018, 08:20 »

That's right, he was a substitute.

If memory serves, May walked in on everyone hugging, went 'nope', then turned around. Right?
a real-ass gaddam sword

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #6 on: 08 Apr 2018, 09:05 »

That's right, he was a substitute.

If memory serves, May walked in on everyone hugging, went 'nope', then turned around. Right?
Yep. Specifically, she initially didn’t want to discuss her emotions with him. But he convinced her to stay, and at the end of  the session, she admitted that he didn’t completely suck.

But I don’t recall ever hearing any details of anything he did at the center after that.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #7 on: 08 Apr 2018, 17:10 »

I appreciate the fact that the poll includes just one incredibly unlikely option. Just for fun.

And also, just underneath it, there is, "life from the inside of an allosaurus." That's got my vote. It'll be fun to catch up with Sara.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #8 on: 08 Apr 2018, 18:19 »

I appreciate the fact that the poll includes just one incredibly unlikely option. Just for fun.

And also, just underneath it, there is, "life from the inside of an allosaurus." That's got my vote. It'll be fun to catch up with Sara.
Ja, 'purple monkey dishwasher' and 'spathe ham' are kind of old hat, so I thought I'd add two new nonsense answers.

BTW, it's probably the lack of sleep talking, but I seem unreasonably happy about Emily and Melon shenanigans getting  multiple votes.

EDIT: fixing typos and word deletions caused by aforementioned lack of sleep.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2018, 05:22 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #9 on: 08 Apr 2018, 19:07 »

BTW, it's probably the lack of sleep talking, but I seem unreasonably happy about Emily and Melon shenanigans getting  multiple votes.
Are we talking "giddy schoolgirl" happy? Cuz yeah, that might be a wee bit over the top. But I'm in favour of anything that includes Melon, so I can't deny being happy about it myself.

Melon and Emily do seem to have similar personalities, although frankly Emily has a distinct advantage in the intelligence department. I don't really picture Marigold tagging along, but I can totally picture Emily capturing Fairy Girl and taking her and Melon out in the woods to hunt wildlife. Come to think of it, Sam or Momo would be more likely than Marigold as extras in that scenario.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #10 on: 08 Apr 2018, 19:48 »

Somehow, Mrs. A, I think if Clinton had been hoping to "hook up" with Brun, he wouldn't have brought her to his mother's house. At least not unless he was actually living there at the time.

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #11 on: 08 Apr 2018, 20:56 »

IIRC, Winslow only filled in the one time as a substitute counselor, so was there even any need for anyone to "take over" for him?
I don't have the time to find the specific comics right now but in my last re-read I noticed that the regular counselor for the AI support group has actually been shown twice - once in the segment when Momo talks about her life (and it shows her and May attending the support group) and then after we hear that the regular counselor is out with a detached head, the next time the comic is set in Faye and Bubbles's workshop, Bubbles is working on a robot which looks like the counselor for the AI support group.

I think it's so neat how Jeph puts in these little details!

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #12 on: 08 Apr 2018, 21:22 »

It's one thing to accept that your mother has a sex life it's another to hear her discuss yours.  This will take time to process. 

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #13 on: 08 Apr 2018, 22:01 »

Poor Clinton. *lol*

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 08 Apr 2018, 22:35 »

What does Mrs. A need reminding? “K” something.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 08 Apr 2018, 23:23 »

Wow! Clinton is under stress here, isn't he? I mean, look at him in panel 1! He's either ready to start hitting things, ready to burst into tears or both!

Mrs A is so sweet, though. I mean, it's obvious that she's just trying to be a good mother and a good person here but she's stumbled into a fairly complex emotional knot and her well-meaning attempt to 'talk up' Clinton to Brun was neither welcome nor helpful (at least for Clinton). What was even less helpful for him was her to attempt current college kid slang but make it sound like they were made-up words that she didn't understand (when I suspect that she actually gets it very well).

No, I don't think that Clinton was planning to 'hook up' with Brun tonight. Not until his mother suggested it, at least. Now he's mentally kicking himself.

Okay, so some random thoughts:
  • "I should go" is Cmdr Shepard's standard exit line from dialogue. Is Jeph trying to tell us something about Brun and RPGs as a teacher for social interaction?
  • Bonus point for noticing the picture of younger Clinton and Claire on the wall - I wonder how old it is?
  • Also, Claire's graduation photo is peeking out from behind Clinton's head;
  • "She seems nice" means "Oh, goody! I'm two for two!"
~~~~

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #16 on: 09 Apr 2018, 00:00 »

Okay, so some random thoughts:
  • Bonus point for noticing the picture of younger Clinton and Claire on the wall - I wonder how old it is?
  • Also, Claire's graduation photo is peeking out from behind Clinton's head;

That picture can't be too old. Something in it suggests that Claire had already started her transition when that pic was taken.
And it is canon that she started during her first year in college. Not that we should necessarily expect consistentency at that level of detail. That pic is, after all, conveying more important things also.

But, has Claire graduated (from college)? Her TA duties do suggest that she might be in grad school now? What about Clinton?
The graduation photo could be his also. Shorter hair, at least!
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2018, 03:28 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #17 on: 09 Apr 2018, 00:39 »

What does Mrs. A need reminding? “K” something.

i suspect keys, right by the door like that.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #18 on: 09 Apr 2018, 00:44 »

If she started transitioning during her first year of college, she couldn't have been going to Smith then, since it's an all-girl school.  She might have transferred during her undergraduate course, but more likely she got in as a grad.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 09 Apr 2018, 03:29 »

Ohh Clinton...

Don't let your MOTHER suggest you walk the-girl-you-secretly-adore home!
And at *least* give Brun an, "Are you sure? It's no problem!", before letting her walk home alone!

Kids these days........

;)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 09 Apr 2018, 03:53 »

Of course, the problem we have here (or at least the problem that Elliott and Clinton have) is that they both have self-esteem issues leading to hesitation. Basically, Elliott is thinking: "Oh, I can't approach Brun as she's Clinton's crush" and Clinton is thinking: "Oh, I can't approach Brun as she's Elliott's crush". This is why there needs to be some external force to push one of them to action as neither man is likely to act on their own initiative.
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #21 on: 09 Apr 2018, 05:25 »

Are we talking "giddy schoolgirl" happy? Cuz yeah, that might be a wee bit over the top. But I'm in favour of anything that includes Melon, so I can't deny being happy about it myself.

Melon and Emily do seem to have similar personalities, although frankly Emily has a distinct advantage in the intelligence department. I don't really picture Marigold tagging along, but I can totally picture Emily capturing Fairy Girl and taking her and Melon out in the woods to hunt wildlife. Come to think of it, Sam or Momo would be more likely than Marigold as extras in that scenario.
"Dragged along". Perhaps quite literally as one of the cloud-cookoolanders excited grabs her hand by mistake.
a real-ass gaddam sword

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #22 on: 09 Apr 2018, 10:05 »

"Dragged along". Perhaps quite literally as one of the cloud-cookoolanders excited grabs her hand by mistake.
I just figured Marigold was less likely, since IIRC the only real social interaction she’s had with Emily was at the lake party, and she basically had gotten “dragged along” to that. Although now that I think back, there might be a third party (like Momo) who gets Marigold to do something social with Emily to help ease any leftover awkwardness after Marigold had that little spat with Dale about his working with Emily.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #23 on: 09 Apr 2018, 10:24 »

If she started transitioning during her first year of college, she couldn't have been going to Smith then, since it's an all-girl school.  She might have transferred during her undergraduate course, but more likely she got in as a grad.
She may have started transitioning during her first year, but she never said when she started identifying as female. So it's very possible that she did, in fact, begin attending Smif immediately after high school.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #24 on: 09 Apr 2018, 11:50 »

The more I see of Clinton's mom, the more I like her.  Has she ever gotten a first name, did I miss it?  We need something better than Mrs. A.  I am wondering what plotline is being set up here, if the last few pages are any indication, it should be great.  Maybe Brun ends up renting a room from Mom, allowing more Clinton-Brun interaction?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
WCDT strips 3716-3720 (9th-13th April 2018)
« Reply #25 on: 09 Apr 2018, 13:40 »

She may have started transitioning during her first year, but she never said when she started identifying as female. So it's very possible that she did, in fact, begin attending Smif immediately after high school.

For those who are wondering, here is the current real-life Smith College policy on admission of transgender students: https://www.smith.edu/about-smith/diversity/gender-identity-expression

In summary, Smith currently allows applicants to self-report their gender.

So as long as Claire identified as female when she applied, she could have been admitted, at least under the current rules (I understand that this policy was recently changed, within the last few years, from a much less trans-friendly policy.)
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #26 on: 09 Apr 2018, 13:51 »

The more I see of Clinton's mom, the more I like her.  Has she ever gotten a first name, did I miss it?
I don't think he's ever revealed it, but I have no doubt that Jeph knows her full name - possibly even her maiden name. I know several artists who cannot even begin to develop a character until they know what the character's name is.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #27 on: 09 Apr 2018, 16:13 »

I don't think he's ever revealed it, but I have no doubt that Jeph knows her full name - possibly even her maiden name. I know several artists who cannot even begin to develop a character until they know what the character's name is.
I recall Jeph saying somewhere that he keeps a continuity book with bios of each character and that some of that information never makes it into the strip.  I'll be dipped in chocolate cake batter if I can remember where I read it, though.  (Don't even THINK it, Pintsize!)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #28 on: 09 Apr 2018, 17:01 »

I'm no author, but I've found that the name is always the last thing I do when creating a D&D || Pathfinder character, and even then, it tends to get shortened into a nickname.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #29 on: 09 Apr 2018, 18:36 »

I recall Jeph saying somewhere that he keeps a continuity book with bios of each character and that some of that information never makes it into the strip.  I'll be dipped in chocolate cake batter if I can remember where I read it, though.  (Don't even THINK it, Pintsize!)
It is, of course, well known that careless talk costs lives. But the full scale of the problem is not always appreciated. You realize that because you said "Don't even THINK it," that means that Pintsize already has. Not only has he already thought it, but he's probably already come up with several possible scenarios for making it happen, and for what he'll do to you when it does. But hey, at least you didn't touch off a millennia-long interstellar battle somewhere.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #30 on: 09 Apr 2018, 19:04 »

Melon: "Numbers are just an abstract concept!"
You're a robot, Melon. Numbers kind of make you go.

EDIT: I just realized something.
Melon must be the least threatening humanoid in existence to just appear uninvited on 2 separate occasions at 2 separate locations and get as much of a non-response as she has.
« Last Edit: 09 Apr 2018, 19:45 by zisraelsen »
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

TheEvilDog

« Reply #31 on: 09 Apr 2018, 19:20 »

Yeah, but Melon isn't your average AI.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #32 on: 09 Apr 2018, 19:36 »

Melon: "Numbers are just an abstract concept!"
So are names...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #33 on: 09 Apr 2018, 19:40 »

So Elliott and Roko live in the same building...?

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #34 on: 09 Apr 2018, 20:10 »

As soon as I saw the first panel I knew this was a Melon comic.

You know, besides the ears, Melon's hair looks different each time too. I'm starting to suspect she's a sentient Potato Head. Detachable ass and all.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #35 on: 09 Apr 2018, 20:20 »

Finally, Elliotts apartment, lets see:

Cat picture.
Bookshelf and books.
Turntable.
Road case used as coffee table.
Ukulele....or maybe a full size guitar.
Clothes on couch.

Yep, he’s single alright.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #36 on: 09 Apr 2018, 20:27 »

Dang Elliot, go easy on the hard stuff there. I know you had a rough night and all.

I don't know if Roko lives in the same building, but Melon and Elliot sure do. I don't think it's that she's non threatening why nobody freaks out to find her in their house. Though really, I don't think she'd be intentionally dangerous. It's just that they are so use to it by now and they've given up on trying to talk her out of it, so they just kind of accept it. In some ways she's becoming the Hannelore of this second group.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #37 on: 09 Apr 2018, 20:37 »

:-D

Yeah, I think everyone is just used to it by now.

Heck, Hanners used to do that too.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #38 on: 09 Apr 2018, 20:58 »

We've not seen Melon and Elliot interact prior to this, have we? So everyone just knows Melon and accepts her...omnipresence? She's been doing this for quite some time, then...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Gyrre

« Reply #39 on: 09 Apr 2018, 21:01 »

Along with Melon and Arthur, it seems. I wonder if they're all on the same floor?
a real-ass gaddam sword

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #40 on: 09 Apr 2018, 21:13 »

This assumes that Elliott and Melon live in the same building, and that Melon is able to distinguish one building from another. Spacetime is also just an abstract concept. :P

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #41 on: 09 Apr 2018, 21:26 »

I think Jeph himself said it best - and most succinctly... "Melon is a little weirdo". But then that's the main reason I like her so much.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #42 on: 09 Apr 2018, 21:30 »

Well that's just rude Melon.  Elliot is not having a bad day and doesn't have time for your Kramer antics.  Now make it up to him by introducing him to Roko. 

Speaking of Kramer maybe that's Melon's actual job.  Landlords want one resident crazy person, but not a reclusive shut in who eats people so they employ Melon who will occasionally barge into people's apartments, but programmed not to kill them in their sleep.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #43 on: 09 Apr 2018, 21:41 »

Of course this neglects the fact that the door was probably locked and that her key won’t fit.
Francisco

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #44 on: 09 Apr 2018, 21:42 »

This assumes that Elliott and Melon live in the same building, and that Melon is able to distinguish one building from another. Spacetime is also just an abstract concept. :P
Well, Elliott and Roko have the same type of lock on their doors, the same size window and type of blinds, and even their couches look alike. So I think it's at least safe to assume that they live in the same building. And based on Melon's remarks, I think she probably does too. She's not a complete airhead. Maybe she just ate a little too much of Arthur's watch battery soup.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #45 on: 09 Apr 2018, 21:47 »

Finally, Elliotts apartment, lets see:

Cat picture.
Bookshelf and books.
Turntable.
Road case used as coffee table.
Ukulele....or maybe a full size guitar.
Clothes on couch.

Yep, he’s single alright.
*looks at own apartment*
No cat picture, but I've got a California flag, and that's got a bear on it.
Bookshelf and books: check
Turntable: Nope
My end table is the mini-fridge I used in my dorm room in college
No ukulele, but I've got a trombone
No clothes on couch, I'm more civilized than that.

But who am I kidding, I already knew I was a loser.  :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #46 on: 09 Apr 2018, 21:57 »

It's now my headcanon that Melon already knows virtually everyone in the cast, and it's only now that everyone is realizing it.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #47 on: 09 Apr 2018, 23:22 »

Today's strip actually lets us know a lot about Elliott. We see that he plays the ukulele (one is leaning against his couch). He has a cabinet full of fairly thick-looking books and he has a record player on top, suggesting that he's into classical (60s to 80s) pop or rock.

What is very interesting is that he lives in the same apartment block as Melon and Roko. I wonder if he knows the lonely Officer Basilisk? More importantly, I wonder if he knows about her need for bread? Whilst Melon doesn't strike me as someone who will share around others' private business, if she and Elliott get talking, it make come out in some context!

Meanwhile, Melon strikes me as more and more like early Hannelore with less OCD and some more exotic issues with reality and social boundaries. That said, I'm wondering if Hannelore is a big of a guide to what is actually happening here: She ultimately imposed herself on Marten and Faye because she was desperately lonely. Given that Melon told Roko that she and Arthur apparently don't have much (if any) furniture in her apartment, maybe Melon's real motive is to have someone to interact with rather than just sit in an empty room and be random with her friend?
~~~~

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #48 on: 10 Apr 2018, 01:06 »

I want Emily and Melon to meet, just because I want to see what a Weirdness Singularity looks like...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #49 on: 10 Apr 2018, 01:12 »

Numbers are just an abstract concept? Yeah, but locks are pretty concrete -- howinhell'd you get into Elliots apartment?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up