THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Jumping the gun!

Melon decides to tell Trpr. Roko about a bakery she came across but only on the grounds that she 'keeps it secret'.
Clinton babby pictures
Updates from Hannelore and Winslow!
Reed-Bean family outing
Let's drop by the new robot fighting arena!
Spaaaaaaace! With Station, Dr Ellicott-Chatham, Lt. Potter and Tilly
a week back at Coffee of Doom
Shenanigans with Emily and Melon, dragging Marbear and fairy girl along for the ride.
Just who took over for Winslow at the AI support group, anyways?
A day in the life of Elliot
Emily 'helps' at Union Robotics
Sam 'helps' at Union Robotics
Mrs A offers Brun a room to rent
hello, Amir
Trooper Roko meets Elliot
actual resolution to the love triangle
life from the inside of an allosaurus

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3716-3720 (9th-13th April 2018)  (Read 36507 times)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
Re: WCDT strips 3716-3720 (9th-13th April 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 11 Apr 2018, 17:38 »

Sometimes I get the impression that the comic and forums are in a constant state of amazement at the revelation that "old" people have sex.
Old people have what?!?
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #101 on: 11 Apr 2018, 18:45 »

Sometimes I get the impression that the comic and forums are in a constant state of amazement at the revelation that "old" people have sex.
Old people have what?!?

MY parents never did such a thing!

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #102 on: 11 Apr 2018, 19:55 »

Well, I'm certain that my parents would never conceive of such a notion!  :clairedoge:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #103 on: 11 Apr 2018, 19:55 »

I can confirm older people have sex. As a woman with a predilection for older ladies, they often have sex with me. I think it's more that people specifically don't like imagining thier parents having sex.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #104 on: 11 Apr 2018, 20:16 »

This one time, at literature camp, I smoked an entire book's worth of pot.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #105 on: 11 Apr 2018, 20:23 »

Literature camp sounds awesome, actually, even without the pot.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #106 on: 11 Apr 2018, 20:45 »

Didn't Marten act distressed when his mom talked about booty calls with younger men?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #107 on: 11 Apr 2018, 20:57 »

To be fair, Marten has a long history of having his mom be sexualised and objectified by his peers.
@syleegrrl

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #108 on: 11 Apr 2018, 21:19 »

Didn't Marten act distressed when his mom talked about booty calls with younger men?

In uncomfortably (for him) explicit detail, yes. IIRC, it was more the detail than the mere fact that discomfited him.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster
« Reply #109 on: 11 Apr 2018, 21:36 »

So Clinton's middle-aged mom gets more play than her son, and this is revealed not long after one of the women he's interested in just walks home without him. Yep, the stereotype of the more-or-less likable loser is being set up quite nicely for this guy.

I don't think that the mere fact that his mother happens to be getting laid when he's not makes him a "loser."

Yes, this. Also calling Clinton a “loser” is premature. He isn’t sure what to do about Brun, whom he’s interested in, and Brun’s mind is wired differently, so she doesn’t handle possible attraction the same as someone with more usual wiring. Also Elliott is clearly attracted to Clinton, and we don’t know for sure that Clinton might not feel the same way
towards Elliott, and that something might not happen there.

I’d call Clinton more of a late bloomer than a loser.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #110 on: 11 Apr 2018, 21:39 »

Welcome, insightful new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #111 on: 11 Apr 2018, 21:48 »

Literature camp? Ok, now I really feel I've missed out on something.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #112 on: 11 Apr 2018, 21:54 »

I’d call Clinton more of a late bloomer than a loser.
Not to mention dazed and confused.

So, if Elliott manages to get something going with both Brun and Clinton, will that make him a bisexual built for two?  ;D

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #113 on: 11 Apr 2018, 23:22 »

I think that Clinton's arc over the last two weeks appears to be mostly him learning that everyone has/is living a more interesting life than his up to this point. Even his sister (whom he has shown he believes is vulnerable and sheltered) has had a few wild experiences!

I'm pretty sure that putting a few score young nerds in an isolated place is a recipe for wild events. I mean, even setting aside the 'horny' thing, fans tend to have strong opinions. Which author is best? Audio-book or radio-play for best audible realisation? The Shipping Wars! That's aside from all the things that Claire likely learned at camp, many of which Marten is thankful for to this day!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #114 on: 11 Apr 2018, 23:36 »

So, if Elliott manages to get something going with both Brun and Clinton, will that make him a bisexual built for two?  ;D
GROAN

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #115 on: 11 Apr 2018, 23:56 »

I think that Clinton's arc over the last two weeks appears to be mostly him learning that everyone has/is living a more interesting life than his up to this point. Even his sister (whom he has shown he believes is vulnerable and sheltered) has had a few wild experiences!

I'm pretty sure that putting a few score young nerds in an isolated place is a recipe for wild events. I mean, even setting aside the 'horny' thing, fans tend to have strong opinions. Which author is best? Audio-book or radio-play for best audible realisation? The Shipping Wars! That's aside from all the things that Claire likely learned at camp, many of which Marten is thankful for to this day!

It doesn't have to be isolated even.  Some of my favorite things I learned, I learned backstage during drama practice.

Gyrre

« Reply #116 on: 12 Apr 2018, 03:31 »

So Clinton's middle-aged mom gets more play than her son, and this is revealed not long after one of the women he's interested in just walks home without him. Yep, the stereotype of the more-or-less likable loser is being set up quite nicely for this guy.

Really not sure how nobody has posted this song in regards to Clinton yet.
Chick Magnet by MxPx

Well, he ain't got a girlfriend  / Nobody to sing his song to
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #117 on: 12 Apr 2018, 04:21 »

Claire's hair is getting long and poofier. I approve.

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #118 on: 12 Apr 2018, 06:15 »

But what are they using? Is this an electric weedpipe? I didn't even know that existed. Where have the good old joints gone? I'm definitely getting old.
"Vap[or]ing," just like electronic cigarrettes.   They're available in states where recreational cannabis is legal.

Vaporizers in this context are actually rather different from typical e-cigs. E-Cigs use a coil with cotton (typically) to heat a liquid. Unfortunately the active ingredients of cannabis are insoluble in Propylene Glycol, which is the typical base of e-cig liquids.

Vaporizers use ceramic heating chambers to heat up shredded plant material. At temperature of about 180°C (350°F) the cannabinoids become gaseous, together with a few essential oils, resulting in hot steam with a flowery taste and a lot more cannabinoids than with smoking (about 60% of the Cannabinoids are burnt when smoking), without all the combustion residues (most importantly tar). There are also some fancier models which use convection (heated air) to indirectly heat the plant material to avoid burning it and to achieve a more even heat distribution. In Europe they are legal, as they're typically being sold as "aroma therapy device", oftentimes even packaged with small ziplock bags filled with lavender or sage.

In the end it's a real good mom choice. It's far less harmful for your lungs than smoking and is a lot more efficient. In fact my mother has tried it and immediately bought one for herself.  :mrgreen:
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #119 on: 12 Apr 2018, 07:25 »

:claireface:
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #120 on: 12 Apr 2018, 08:41 »

GROAN

Yes, yes, I know... that requires a substantial contribution to the pun jar. It will be Canadian Tire money, and it was worth every nickel.

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #121 on: 12 Apr 2018, 08:52 »

My favourite comics of late are Claire / Clinton dialogues:)

Also: Claire floof is back  :claireface: :claireface: :claireface:
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #122 on: 12 Apr 2018, 09:34 »

I definitely, definitely need to hang out with Clinton's mom.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ImVeryAngryItsNotButter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #123 on: 12 Apr 2018, 10:31 »

Literature camp? Ok, now I really feel I've missed out on something.

Trust me, you don't want to go there. Everything seems all fine and normal your first time through, and then some chick hangs herself and everyone immediately forgets she ever existed, and it just gets more fucked up from there.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #124 on: 12 Apr 2018, 14:27 »

I don't think that the mere fact that his mother happens to be getting laid when he's not makes him a "loser."

It's not just that Clinton's mom is getting laid while he's not. It's that she's getting laid with men around her son's age while said son can barely get non-related women to even talk to him. And in this latest comic we learn that even his sister has had more fun experiences than him. Not to mention she has a boyfriend.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #125 on: 12 Apr 2018, 14:47 »

I’m sure this reveals my cluelessness, but what is a literature camp? It sounds to me like something in a Thursday Next novel.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #126 on: 12 Apr 2018, 15:09 »

It's not just that Clinton's mom is getting laid while he's not. It's that she's getting laid with men around her son's age while said son can barely get non-related women to even talk to him. And in this latest comic we learn that even his sister has had more fun experiences than him. Not to mention she has a boyfriend.

Okay, this is irritating me, so I'm just going to try and unpack it.

"... she's getting laid with men around her son's age"
Good on her?

"... can barely get non-related women to even talk to him"
This is not true. It's true that he's nervous around women he's attracted to, but there are plenty of examples of women talking to him in the strip, so I have no idea how you can claim this with a straight face, except that you're exaggerating to try and justify calling someone a loser (which is kind of shitty to begin with).

"even his sister has had more fun experiences than him"
What do you mean by "even his sister"? What are you saying? "Even Claire has had more fun, what a terrible loser Clinton must be." That doesn't say a lot for your opinion of Claire, I guess.

But go ahead, continue to characterise anyone who hasn't had sex by a certain age when those around them have as losers. That will make all of the late bloomers on the forums feel very welcome.

edit: fixed a typo
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2018, 15:51 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #127 on: 12 Apr 2018, 15:47 »

I’m sure this reveals my cluelessness, but what is a literature camp? It sounds to me like something in a Thursday Next novel.

Yay, another Jasper Fforde fan! :D

I'm wondering the same thing myself, and also feeling slightly sad that this wasn't something I ever got to go to.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #128 on: 12 Apr 2018, 15:57 »

Claire’s constant attempts to one-up her brother are just off-putting to me. You can clearly see Clinton doesn’t appreciate them.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #129 on: 12 Apr 2018, 16:00 »

It's just a bit of good-natured sibling rivalry.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #130 on: 12 Apr 2018, 18:01 »

Claire’s constant attempts to one-up her brother are just off-putting to me. You can clearly see Clinton doesn’t appreciate them.
"Claire’s constant attempts to one-up her brother" would imply that she's doing something now to do it. She's talking about the distant past. And since she is the older sibling, she couldn't possibly have been trying to one-up him even back when she was in high school, since he would have been in middle school and couldn't go the the same parties at the same time she did anyway. She just happened to be less tightly-wound back in high school, so she got to have more fun. Rubbing it in now, as Tova said, is just good ol' sibling rivalry.

We know that Claire had never kissed anyone before Marten, so they're both late bloomers. She was just better at hiding it (or maybe it's just that she never thought about it). And now that Clinton is starting to loosen up and find it easier to talk to girls he likes, he'll do just fine.

(edit: fixed formatting)
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2018, 20:02 by awgiedawgie »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #131 on: 12 Apr 2018, 19:35 »

Literature Camp Counsellor: "Okay kids, you might feel angry at times. Just remember to use your words."
*The Complete Works of Shakespeare gets thrown across the room*
Literature Camp Counsellor: "That's not what I meant!"

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #132 on: 12 Apr 2018, 20:31 »

I think it's almost cute that Clinton thinks no one was fucking at AI camp

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #133 on: 12 Apr 2018, 20:56 »

I've been at a robotics camp. Have you ever seen a group of 100 shy, introverted nerdy kids? I'd be surprised if anyone there talked about anything other than servos and programming, and I certainly don't think anyone made any kind of physical contact, to say nothing about getting their bone on. I honestly felt bad for those kids. I never had a girlfriend in high school, but at least I could talk to girls.

Gyrre

« Reply #134 on: 12 Apr 2018, 21:20 »

Literature Camp Counsellor: "Okay kids, you might feel angry at times. Just remember to use your words."
They say the difference between tragedy and comedy is perspective. Though when it comes to tossing around literature, a forced perspective is usually not so good.

:-D
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #135 on: 12 Apr 2018, 21:35 »

Literature camp sounds a lot like art school. Art majors don't fuck around, either, but do fuck each other. Literally and figuratively.
@syleegrrl

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #136 on: 12 Apr 2018, 22:31 »

Consider the ratio of attendees.  Claire's group probably contained enough people of various genders and sexual orientations that there was someone for just about everyone.  If Clinton's group was predominantly heterosexual males then it's likely the sexual activity was low. 

I am surprised that things were peaceful, but then again AI camp is probably different from sci-fi camp which can get very tribal. 

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #137 on: 12 Apr 2018, 22:34 »

It's just a bit of good-natured sibling rivalry.

Indeed, and I really do wish they'd walk past another pair of strangely familiar siblings sniping at each other.  Wonder what they'd look like in baseline form. 

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #138 on: 12 Apr 2018, 22:50 »

It's like y'all haven't met 'straight' nerd boys.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #139 on: 12 Apr 2018, 23:13 »

It seems that the last couple of weeks has been mostly about poor Clinton learning that everyone, including his mother and sister (the latter of which he seems to consider sheltered and vulnerable) have had and are having more interesting and fun lives than him! Although I'm not sure if that's about his luck or about his personality. He does seem to have a certain lack of self-confidence that I feel would make him opt out of his peers fun activities.

Now... It's quite possible that Emily is just the random barista of the day but I don't think so, given the identity of the protagonist of this arc. As Jeph seems to be intent on giving Clinton a host of options, none of which he knows what to do with, I'm wondering if Emily isn't so busy anymore and wants to have that second date now. I've got the feeling that Clinton is going to have to find his feet quickly because he is going to have to be juggling several people who are interested in him and none of whom he wants to hurt with a quick rejection!

We also now know why Claire's idea of romantic entanglements are so much like shipper-fics and romantic animé: She's actually lived through at least one occasion where she saw the tundere get her man!
~~~~

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #140 on: 12 Apr 2018, 23:54 »

Now... It's quite possible that Emily is just the random barista of the day but I don't think so, given the identity of the protagonist of this arc. As Jeph seems to be intent on giving Clinton a host of options, none of which he knows what to do with, I'm wondering if Emily isn't so busy anymore and wants to have that second date now.
Makes me wonder if Clinton is going to pursue Emily because now that he knows Elliott has a crush on Brun, he doesn't want to get in their way.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #141 on: 13 Apr 2018, 00:29 »

*Eyes the typewriter in the corner*

Now, of course, the complete works of Shakespeare work, but you can only throw that once. The WNT would be my argument of choice.

Throwing chairs and literature - that brings back memories...  :-D

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

SordidEuphemism

• Plantmonster
  • Treguna Mekoides Tracorum Satis Dee
« Reply #142 on: 13 Apr 2018, 04:47 »

I'm not sorry. =)

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #143 on: 13 Apr 2018, 04:52 »

Anne is my favourite Brontë. [/unpopularopinion]

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #144 on: 13 Apr 2018, 04:56 »

This is the point where I have to admit that I have never read any of the Brontë sisters' works. Just not my thing. My exposure classical literature starts in the Wells/Conan-Doyle era (which is about 25-30 years later, IIRC).
~~~~

SordidEuphemism

• Plantmonster
  • Treguna Mekoides Tracorum Satis Dee
« Reply #145 on: 13 Apr 2018, 05:00 »

I wish I'd started with my schools' drama programs far earlier in life. It just wasn't something valued by my folks, so I ignored it. When I decided that I was interested after all, man, the culture shock was something else. It's something I made sure to promote with my own kids - even if it wasn't 'for' them, the exposure to the possibility was worth it.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #146 on: 13 Apr 2018, 05:54 »

I'm not sorry. =)

Wow, Claire wasn't wrong.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #147 on: 13 Apr 2018, 05:59 »

Makes me wonder if Clinton is going to pursue Emily because now that he knows Elliott has a crush on Brun, he doesn't want to get in their way.

That would be quite like Clinton, but there's more dramatic potential in him going for one of them just as the other decides to go chasing after him.

Or perhaps, for "dramatic potential" read "eternal triangle cliché" - I don't know, I'm not very good at this...
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #148 on: 13 Apr 2018, 06:08 »

I'm guessing that Emily will ask Clinton out on a second date and they will encounter Brun whilst at lunch together. A puzzled Brun queries why Clinton is with Emily when she thought he was attracted to her. Emily, being Emily, is neither offended nor feels threatened. Whilst Clinton is in a flop-sweat trying to work out what to say without offending either lady, she asks Brun whether she'd like to date Clinton. Upon having that confirmed, she offers to 'share' him (I've seen no indication that Emily would be interested in anything more than a casual relationship at this point).

Naturally, Emily and Brun get on very well with Brun more than able to shrug off Emily's 'marching to my own drums' mindset and Emily admiring Brun's literal mind and her sense of humour. I imagine that they would make a cute pair of friends.

Equally naturally, from here on, the romantic complications for Clinton just keep getting more and more 'animé, as Claire would put it. :evil:
~~~~

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #149 on: 13 Apr 2018, 07:38 »

That would be a dramatic and amusing turnaround from Clinton's present circumstances. Let's see if this lines up with Jeph's plans for him; seeing as he likes to make his protagonists suffer though...

The Vanguard - superhero space opera
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up