THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you want to see wrapped up first?

Just what are Faye and Bubbles to each other?
- 31 (42.5%)
Will Roko ever find that intimate companion she wants?
- 9 (12.3%)
Will Melon be drawn into the core cast?
- 3 (4.1%)
When will Hannelore and Winslow return home?
- 5 (6.8%)
Will Dora need a new employee, if so, who?
- 0 (0%)
Is there anything left to develop with Marten and Claire?
- 3 (4.1%)
Just how will the Brun-Clinton-Elliott triangle resolve itself?
- 22 (30.1%)
Other (please specify in comment)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: (CW/TW: Abuse) WCDT strips 3731-3735 (30th April to 4th May 2018)  (Read 75767 times)

Netherdan

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT strips 3731-3735 (30th April to 4th May 2018)
« Reply #150 on: 02 May 2018, 20:18 »

That's the first time I noticed that Faye got a little unbuffed since she stopped working on the robot fight club

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #151 on: 02 May 2018, 20:30 »

Fay panicked and vibrating like that is super cute, also very familiar.

I needed super cute today. So yay!

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #153 on: 02 May 2018, 21:19 »

I'm a bit perplexed by the gif...  Is that supposed to spell something?  If so, I can't make it out.
Tetris, all the pieces falling into place.

Aaaanndd straight to Marty!  :-D  Someone called it!
That was BenRG.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #154 on: 02 May 2018, 21:21 »

So, yeah. We cut to Marty, and FAYE HAS NEWS!!!

This is where I predict we’re about to cut to Steve eating cereal for a week. I predict this because Jeph mentions it in the description area, and because predicting it opens the possibility for being happy I was proved wrong. No matter what happens, I will be happier for having predicted this. Unless Jeph chooses to cut to some rando eating cereal. I wouldn’t put that past him.

So the more vague version is: someone is about to have cereal. If the joke is good, it will kill. Making Jeph a cereal killer. I’m rambling. Someone is about to eat a specific portion of a fully-balanced breakfast, though, either tomorrow or Monday. There’s history here
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #155 on: 02 May 2018, 21:41 »

So, what do people think has Faye so disconcerted?

Human/AI romances seem to be uncommon, since this is the first we've seen. Faye may be shocked at herself.

Faye has been terrible toward synthetics. Look how she treated Momo. Is it possible that she's not fully acknowledged them as equals? Was Bubbles a "Some of my best friends are" to Faye?

Or is she simply terrified of having Feelings for someone she knows is as loyal and decent as Marten is? Someone who, unlike Sven or Angus, has LTR written all over her?

She's been a model of acceptance and support to same-sex couples all along. Even someone like that could be startled and even afraid to discover same-sex longings in herself. She's done a great job overcoming her upbringing -- that doesn't necessarily mean a 100% complete job.

Or is it something that hasn't even crossed my mind?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #156 on: 02 May 2018, 22:20 »

Faye's about to phase out of our timeline, Flash-style.

I wonder how Bubbles deals with this stressful/awkward situation...

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #157 on: 02 May 2018, 23:08 »

Faye's about to phase out of our timeline, Flash-style.
Just so long as we don't end up with a Flashpoint scenario... Pintsize must not gain thumbs without also giving up his little pranks.

Just going through life.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #158 on: 02 May 2018, 23:21 »

Well, I've got the feeling that we're on the verge of the next incarnation of The Talk because I really don't think that Faye is currently able to string sufficient coherent thoughts together in order to work out what she thinks, let alone what to do next! In any case, I really think that Marten needs to prioritise this. Based on panel 4, Faye is either about to explode or vibrate at the right frequency to phase-shift between quantum states and end up in a parallel universe!

I do like Marten's new 'business attire' clothes. Does anyone else think that Claire bought him a pack of formal shirts because "libraries are serious business"?

Bottom line is that, like all of us, Faye has pigeon-holed herself as a certain alignment. This is being challenged and, frankly, no-one feels happy or secure when their self-identity is challenged, least of all people with Faye's pretty big issues in that area.

Additionally, after the way Sven inadvertently broke her heart and the way that breaking up with Angus literally nearly killed her, I suspect that Faye is more than a little frightened of having another romantic relationship, particularly one that has managed to develop the current emotional intensity of the one she has with Bubbles whilst still remaining platonic. She's genuinely scared that she'll mess up, hurt Bubbles and, more critically, it really will kill her this time.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #159 on: 02 May 2018, 23:30 »

Nice to see that Jeph still has a good knack for optical illusions indicating motion.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

emsilly

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #160 on: 02 May 2018, 23:38 »

That was BenRG.

If knowing what happens via Patreon and announcing it like a prediction counts as calling it, sure.

https://i.imgur.com/heXkMEo.png

https://i.imgur.com/v0iDwST.png

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #161 on: 02 May 2018, 23:53 »

That was BenRG.

If knowing what happens via Patreon and announcing it like a prediction counts as calling it, sure.

Actually, I predicted this outcome on Patreon on Tuesday, before this strip appeared on Patreon. Please be sure to disclose all of the evidence before throwing accusations around. Nice job putting on that screencap from Patreon without the date, BTW.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 00:11 by BenRG »
~~~~

emsilly

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #162 on: 03 May 2018, 00:10 »

That was BenRG.

Actually, I predicted that outcome on Tuesday, before it appeared on Patreon too. Please be sure to disclose all of the evidence before throwing accusations around. Nice job putting on that screencap from Patreon without the date, BTW.

Prove it. That's the first time you made any comment of that nature in this thread, and it came after the first time you'd posted on Wednesday's strip on Patreon. Also, Patreon comments have relative timestamps, you know that Ben.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #163 on: 03 May 2018, 00:18 »

I'm afraid that I don't have an image hosting site. However, if you go to Tuesday's Patreon comment thread, you'll see that I posted (and I quote): "The penny... or in this case the Tetris block... finally drops and the realisation hits. I've been expecting this to happen for a while: This is the point where Faye goes running to Marten to beg him for advice." That was two days ago. As you're clearly a Patreon contributor, you can see that for yourself.

I will not engage with this any further. The site admins have already been told this and have cleared my post from yesterday.
~~~~

Trebane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #164 on: 03 May 2018, 00:27 »

I do like Marten's new 'business attire' clothes. Does anyone else think that Claire bought him a pack of formal shirts because "libraries are serious business"?

I agree. There is something about seeing a normally casual/scruffy guy in formal attire that is super hot.

emsilly

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #165 on: 03 May 2018, 00:30 »

I'm afraid that I don't have an image hosting site. However, if you go to Tuesday's Patreon comment thread, you'll see that I posted (and I quote): "The penny... or in this case the Tetris block... finally drops and the realisation hits. I've been expecting this to happen for a while: This is the point where Faye goes running to Marten to beg him for advice." That was two days ago. As you're clearly a Patreon contributor, you can see that for yourself.

I will not engage with this any further. The site admins have already been told this and have cleared my post from yesterday.

The thing about that is even if it's true, it doesn't matter because by the time of your "prediction" here you already knew that what you were saying was the case. Additionally, you have the added detail of the library between then and now, as opposed to Coffee of Doom/bumping into him on the street/another location. You can call it obvious, but it shows your hand. I also doubt this is the only time you've made similar "predictions" since you were on Patreon well before I was.

(Also, literally anyone can use an image hosting site. You don't even need an account to use imgur.)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #166 on: 03 May 2018, 00:37 »

The thing about that is even if it's true, it doesn't matter because by the time of your "prediction" here you already knew that what you were saying was the case. Additionally, you have the added detail of the library between then and now, as opposed to Coffee of Doom/bumping into him on the street/another location. You can call it obvious, but it shows your hand. I also doubt this is the only time you've made similar "predictions" since you were on Patreon well before I was.

(Also, literally anyone can use an image hosting site. You don't even need an account to use imgur.)
You're being a dick. I don't know why you're being a dick, but knock it off. This is supposed to be a respectful place. You've only made 4 posts so far, and you're not off to a good start.

Global Moderator Comment NOT helping. The mod staff have plenty of tools to deal with things.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 21:48 by Is it cold in here? »
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #167 on: 03 May 2018, 00:45 »

[...]

Global Moderator Comment Please stop this, or stick to PMs. The staff accepted Ben's explanation on this occasion, and that's all there is to be said (but note that "clearing" his post did not mean that there was an implicit imprimatur for it).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

emsilly

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #168 on: 03 May 2018, 00:53 »

You're being a dick. I don't know why you're being a dick, but knock it off. This is supposed to be a respectful place. You've only made 4 posts so far, and you're not off to a good start.

Post counts can be deceiving, check my registration date and first recorded post. As for respectful, this place certainly isn't, hence why I withdrew from it in the first place. (Go see how "respectful" people were about trans/non-binary people in the Tilly era, or about Claire for that matter.) Also, as for why, it's because Patreon users making predictions is already sketchy, but Ben clearly gets something out of passing himself off as a wizened sage.

[...]

Please stop this, or stick to PMs.  The staff accepted Ben's explanation on this occasion, and that's all there is to be said (but note that "clearing" his post did not mean that there was an implicit imprimatur for it).

Will do.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 01:19 by emsilly »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #169 on: 03 May 2018, 01:09 »

I like to imagine that the effect on Faye in panel 4 (or would that be panel 3?) is a representation of her panic causing her to vibrate so quickly that she begins humming loudly like a piece of industrial equipment. Marty offered to move outside partially out of concern for her and partially because it began disrupting nearby students.
Not to mention the danger to the structural integrity of the building.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Gyrre

« Reply #170 on: 03 May 2018, 01:47 »

It's your kids, Marty! Something's gotta be done about your kids!

Thank you! ^-^

I had to make sure if anyone else had beaten me to the punch.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster
« Reply #172 on: 03 May 2018, 02:30 »

Do you interpret this as Faye putting two and two together and realizing that Bubbles has feelings for her or she is realizing she has feelings for Bubbles?

Would be hard to realize from a back massage and from her hand running up bubbles' leg that bubbles has romantic feelings. Pretty sure she's realized hers.

Cannot disagree strongly enough with you there.

Not just because I have personal experience of it happening to me.

Well, we'll see soon. Certainly feels to me like she's realising hers, but as I lack your expertise in this area, I'll defer to you. I more fell into relationships, tbh, so not really an expert.

Also, regarding cereal: tomorrow will be Hanners eating cereal.

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
« Reply #173 on: 03 May 2018, 02:58 »

Also, regarding cereal: tomorrow will be Hanners eating cereal.
Tilly eating Space Ham!

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #174 on: 03 May 2018, 04:02 »

I don't even think we've seen a single human-AI relationship. There are multiple reasons for Faye to be scared. Worst case scenario, she'll disappear from the comic the way her ex did after being unable to deal with her feelings. That kind of sounds extreme, but she may not be ready to deal with any of this.

I've never been in a situation where someone so right for me was interested. I don't even know what that would feel like. I might run away.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #175 on: 03 May 2018, 04:51 »

You do know that bisexuality is a thing, right?

Yeah, and she could very well be bisexual and in her mid 20s and experiencing the first of many attractions to women but the fact that she seems to have no other interest in women up until now and that it took this long for her to think of all the flirting etc. something more makes me think this case is kind of one of a kind for her.

Didn't mean it to be a slam against bisexual people - sorry if it came off that way.

Gotta say, I'm with you on this one.
Faye seems a bit... *old* for the stereotypical "awakening" of latent sexuality...
But who am *I* to say? I'm a middle aged, hetero, white, male.
I guess my problem with this is it seems very hard to relate to... for ME (YMMV) - given what we know about Faye, to have it suddenly crop up.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #176 on: 03 May 2018, 04:55 »

“Bubblesexual”, but that’s not really helpful either.

Ohhhh I think it PERFECTLY describes quite a few people in here !  :)
Covenant

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #177 on: 03 May 2018, 05:05 »

Human/AI romances seem to be uncommon, since this is the first we've seen. Faye may be shocked at herself.

Yeaaaaaaah - I mean, IRL it wouldn't be unrealistic to need a bit of time to sync your beliefs about yourself, your feelz and your desires when you realize you've some things to learn about yourself yet, wouldn't it? If that's all this is, I think that's forgiveable - even if she does owe Bubbles an apology for running out on her like that. "Flawed human being encountering opportunity for character-growth" and all that ...

Faye has been terrible toward synthetics. Look how she treated Momo. Is it possible that she's not fully acknowledged them as equals? Was Bubbles a "Some of my best friends are" to Faye?

Yeeeaaaah - again, wouldn't be exactly unrealistic to have some remnants of biased thinking to work through, would it? Though in my headcanon, Faye would realize her brain being a dick & sort it out. Might take some hits (or twenty) with a clue-by-four for her to figure out exactly how & why her brain is being a dick, but I read her as at the very least wanting to be a DHB. Especially where it concerns Bubbles.

And ... when was she horrible to Momo? (Being horrible to Pintsize doesn't count, 'being horrible' is just normal social interaction to him)

Or is she simply terrified of having Feelings for someone she knows is as loyal and decent as Marten is? Someone who, unlike Sven or Angus, has LTR written all over her?

Gee, you really think so?   :angel:

She's been a model of acceptance and support to same-sex couples all along. Even someone like that could be startled and even afraid to discover same-sex longings in herself. She's done a great job overcoming her upbringing -- that doesn't necessarily mean a 100% complete job.

I know for a fact that I haven't done a 'complete job' on LGBTQ-stuff, how about you? (i.e. "DUH!") I've hurt people I hold dear hereabouts, and I know I'll probably jump on their toes again - I've been lucky they've been so gracious as to accept my apologies and promises of trying to do better.

I guess it's safe to assume by now that her subconscious tried to keep Faye from realizing her feelings for as long as possible - which in turn indicates that there was a need for time to process Some! Thing!TM before it was safe to pass The! Thing! on to the upper echelons (aka Faye's conscious). Pretty much SOP for my headmeats - really, sometimes 'I' (i.e. the conscious part of Case) feel less like the one in the driver's seat than the running commentary.

I've never been in the situation of realizing I need to re-orient my understanding of my sexual orientation, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that to some folk, it happened like that (A while ago, there were some FellowForumites who reported on their discovering unexpected attraction later in life than most, and IIRC, their experience broadly matched that description).
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 05:41 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Gyrre

« Reply #178 on: 03 May 2018, 05:10 »

Yeah, and she could very well be bisexual and in her mid 20s and experiencing the first of many attractions to women but the fact that she seems to have no other interest in women up until now and that it took this long for her to think of all the flirting etc. something more makes me think this case is kind of one of a kind for her.

Didn't mean it to be a slam against bisexual people - sorry if it came off that way.

Faye seems a bit... *old* for the stereotypical "awakening" of latent sexuality...
I guess my problem with this is it seems very hard to relate to... for ME (YMMV) - given what we know about Faye, to have it suddenly crop up.
It's a long time coming and we've seen it slowly develop. Something which I had advocated for back when the Faybles shippers started posting their ship support in the forums. It makes it more believable for a character like Faye whom up until Tuesday  hasn't had any indication of being romantically interested in the same sex. And, it's quite a relief that Jeph took this route instead of the 'I'm suddenly a lesbian' route webcomics like Spinnerette have taken in the past.
a real-ass gaddam sword

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #179 on: 03 May 2018, 05:16 »

it does bear pointing out that Faye has never taken a single Goddamn relationship easily in this comic

there's little reason to think she this would be any different in that regard

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #180 on: 03 May 2018, 05:25 »

It's a long time coming and we've seen it slowly develop. Something which I had advocated for back when the Faybles shippers started posting their ship support in the forums. It makes it more believable for a character like Faye whom up until Tuesday  hasn't had any indication of being romantically interested in the same sex. And, it's quite a relief that Jeph took this route instead of the 'I'm suddenly a lesbian' route webcomics like Spinnerette have taken in the past.

Oh, absolutely...
As I said, I can *see* why it may have happened. It's just a little jarring in my personal experience.
(I was a pro actor for many many years. And knew, met and was very close friends with a lot of gay guys, and lesbian women. But at no point did my love for them even think of developing into anything else. (And yes, I got offers!)   :)  )

My biggest fear now is that Bubbles (or Faye) doesn't get even more messed up by what (I think we must all admit) could be quite a difficult and stressful relationship.
(Taking all the factors into account. And what I *think* is canon that AI/Human relationships are not viewed as... 'the norm'.)
I'm still hoping, for both their sakes, that they do talk this out and decide it's a helluva step for both of them, and could lead to either an amazing relationship, or something that could inevitably hurt them both, through no fault of their own.

(Jeez... just read this... Am I making ANY sense here?)
Covenant

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #181 on: 03 May 2018, 05:32 »

So... now that the cat is out of the bag, things will be resolved one way or another. But we still don't know what Faye is actually thinking...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #182 on: 03 May 2018, 05:51 »

i'm sure someone's already pointed this out too, but just in case:

Jeph is giving us multiple angles on AI sexual and companionship desire. Roko, O'Malley, Momo, Pintsize, Bubbles, May, Jeremy, whats-her-name with Jeremy, Station (forgot about his thing for Hannelore), they've all got different levels of desire, different ideas about what they want, different wants.

cuz i mean whether they're främling, raman, or maybe even getting towards varelse, they're people, and people got different ideas of shit.

also he's making the comic into a Clinton harem anime BUT THAT'S A DISCUSSION FOR ANOTHER TIME  :-*

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #183 on: 03 May 2018, 05:53 »

So... now that the cat is out of the bag, things will be resolved one way or another. But we still don't know what Faye is actually thinking...

I think that we obviously know that Faye's calm and emotional balance has been totally blown away by this realisation. Frankly, her stress reactions makes me think that she is not immediately at ease with her reaction to Bubbles' massage. This isn't something she expected and, obviously, she doesn't know what to do.

I had to think about that italicised phrase. 'Happy' and 'Content' both carried implications that didn't really fit.
~~~~

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #184 on: 03 May 2018, 05:56 »

(Snip)
I hadn't even considered that, and actually looking back I realized jeph gave us her Panic Frequency as the title of the strip! What do you figure the harmonic frequencies of Smif Library are?
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #185 on: 03 May 2018, 05:58 »

But we still don't know what Faye is actually thinking...

Faye's conscious - Busy oscillating at 440 Hz.

Faye's subconscious - "Yup, looks like the Boss is taking this one in her stride ..."

Faye's libido:

« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 06:04 by Case »
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #186 on: 03 May 2018, 06:13 »

As I said, I can *see* why it may have happened. It's just a little jarring in my personal experience.
(I was a pro actor for many many years. And knew, met and was very close friends with a lot of gay guys, and lesbian women. But at no point did my love for them even think of developing into anything else. (And yes, I got offers!)   :)  )

Well ... your finding the experience of discovering that you're not as straight as you thought you were to be outside your experience is pretty much par for the course for someone who is exactly as straight as he thought he was, no?  :-D

Shortly before Jeph cliff-hangered the Faybles-arc, when we were all getting in each others' hairs about the nature of Faye's feelings for Bubbles, the matter of Faye's age came up, too, and there were two fellow forumites who said that this was pretty much their experience of discovering they weren't done learning about their orientation ...

(IIRC, one said that she had mistaken her attraction to her then-friend-now-partner as 'merely finding her aesthetically pleasing', until the "Oh? Ohhh!"-moment. I can't speak from experience, but I find that entirely plausible)
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 06:25 by Case »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #187 on: 03 May 2018, 06:37 »

I hadn't even considered that, and actually looking back I realized jeph gave us her Panic Frequency as the title of the strip! What do you figure the harmonic frequencies of Smif Library are?

I hadn't noticed that either. 440Hz shouldn't be a problem, I think, but perhaps someone with a better understanding of this kind of thing will disagree?

(IIRC, one said that she had mistaken her attraction to her then-friend-now-partner as 'merely finding her aesthetically pleasing', until the "Oh? Ohhh!"-moment. I can't speak from experience, but I find that entirely plausible)

Sounds familiar. Some people just don't realise it until they meet the right person  - and even then, it can sometimes really be just the one person, or a whole new panoply of thus far unguessed options.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #188 on: 03 May 2018, 07:07 »

A = 440Hz is the basis of standard tuning (since 1939); it's also the note to which an orchestra tunes before playing.

I guess the real performance is about to start!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #189 on: 03 May 2018, 07:21 »

(click to show/hide)

To me the sexual/romantic aspect of this character relationship is one topic.  It's about five percent of what there is to discuss.  It's in the future and a bunch of other things are in the present.  When fifty percent of the discussion is used to talk about five percent of the subject matter, I get impatient and wonder why people are being so willfully blind to everything else.
Particlarly in your second to last paragraph, this is something I've noticed...very broadly, not just here, not just in my friend group or Tumblr or wherever, but...everywhere. Sex and relationships get particular attention. Particular emphasis. from just about everyone. It's...not something that I entirely understand, but there are many things about neurotypical behavior that I don't understand beyond acknowledging them as fact. I might try to discuss it, as a exercise in seeing how closely I'm able to interpret what I'm seeing and further my development of a more "normal" personality, though I'm not usually terribly interested in shipping, myself.

At any rate, I guess my point is, yeah, that happens for ships instead of other kinds of plot points - like Corpse Witch's manipulations - because that's, uh, how people are, I guess, and neither you nor I are going to change how 7 billion people operate.

I didn't want to add anything to this topic, because I figured Morituri and the others who dislike it when people  get invested in romantic relationships weren't gonna change their mind, but if there's genuine lack of understanding I'm gonna add a few bits.

First of all, it's a slice-of-life comic. Characters and relationships, romantic or not, are the bread and butter of this comic; it's got sci-fi elements and sometimes plot archs, but those aren't the centre and don't 'lead' anywhere (this isn't meant as a negative, but it is very different from narratives that have a goal). So, it's natural to find a lot of people who are very much invested in romantic relationships. (If you want to read a comic where the speculation is mostly non-romantic/plot-related, there's erfworld, for example)

Second, romantic and sexual relationships are a very central part of a lot of people's lifes. They can empathise with all the intense feelings attached to it; love, joy, desire, heartbreak, jealousy... It's something most people go through and have to figure out for themselves. Most people are experts in this, so to say, because they've invested a lot more than 10 000 hours into figuring out relationships. Other stories don't have that advantage - they have to be a lot more information-dense to give readers the ability to accurately predict what's going to happen.

Third, characters. People are invested in characters. They like them, try know them inside and out, how they are, what they want, how they feel, etc. but most of the time we just see parts of it and have to figure out the rest. 

This makes romantic storylines both predictable (because of the aforementioned experience and extensive knowledge about the characters) and unpredictable (because the information is incomplete) and therefore a lot of fun to speculate about.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #190 on: 03 May 2018, 07:53 »

A = 440Hz is the basis of standard tuning (since 1939); it's also the note to which an orchestra tunes before playing.

I guess the real performance is about to start!

For the interested nerd who'd like to know how high the a1 at 440Hz is, but who lacks perfect pitch as well as sufficient motivation to dig for an oscillator-app: The a1 is also used in many nations' call-progress tones - the dialtone of German phones is a continuous sine-wave at 440Hz (wouldn't be surprised to learn its the same in Austria). In the US, the low-frequency ringtone and the high-frequency dialtone are tuned to 440Hz. Other nation's call-progress tones are in a similar pitch-range (e.g. 425Hz)   

I hadn't noticed that either. 440Hz shouldn't be a problem, I think, but perhaps someone with a better understanding of this kind of thing will disagree?

I haven't memorized resonance frequencies of common building materials (and common sense dictates that engineers would try to suppress susceptibilities in those materials that actually have resonances, even those well outside human vocal range) - but since most libraries have contained telephones for quite a while now I guess that if there ever were ones that had a problem with 440Hz, they've been subjected to un-natural selection by now ...  :laugh:

440Hz is also pretty comfortably within most humans' vocal range, which again would pose a problem for libraries that aim to bring humans into close proximity with the books therein.

TL;DR - No, it's not.

Edit: Not only is the a1 within human's vocal range (singing voice), but 440Hz is roughly the first harmonic (octave) of many womens' fundamental voice frequency - the frequency around which our speech is modulated. Libraries prone to take damage due to female speech sound ... improbable.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 08:26 by Case »

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #191 on: 03 May 2018, 07:54 »

oh wow, i forgot all about erfworld.

man i was pretty invested for a minute in high school.

oh nooooooooooo i'm gonna binge it aren't i

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #192 on: 03 May 2018, 08:15 »

Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.
This is the most profound thing I've read all year. Possibly all decade. Gonna hafta sig this.
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #193 on: 03 May 2018, 08:25 »

Other nation's call-progress tones are in a similar pitch-range (e.g. 425Hz)   

Yep, that's us.

440Hz is also pretty comfortably within most humans' vocal range, which again would pose a problem for libraries that aim to bring humans into close proximity with the books therein.

Thanks for the clarification. So, it won't be a problem for the building - but librarians might be another kettle of fish. Although, in this case, oversight by Tai... No, not a problem at all. She might come and contribute some more noise herself.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #194 on: 03 May 2018, 08:40 »

I figured the "440 Hz" as the title was in reference to the note Marten was whistling in the first panel. I don't think even Tool videos had people shaking that fast.

It's not a frequency that would do any harm to the building or its occupants. As others have already kind of mentioned, it's the A above Middle C. Long before I ever owned a musical instrument, I knew that from computer programming back in the '80s. There was no fancy music software readily available to the general public. If you wanted to make the computer make sounds resembling "music", you had to program the frequencies you wanted it to play. I've long since forgotten all the other ones, but now that I own a bass guitar, 440 stays fresh in my memory because it's always displayed on the tuner when I turn it on.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #195 on: 03 May 2018, 10:48 »

I didn't want to add anything to this topic, because I figured Morituri and the others who dislike it when people  get invested in romantic relationships weren't gonna change their mind, but if there's genuine lack of understanding I'm gonna add a few bits.

No worries here...  I already said, I realize my ideas of what the forum is for are no more important than anyone else's. Even if I roll my eyes, I'm not going to be angry or strident.

And, with things actually happening now, it's a lot more reasonable for people to be focused on it.  It is no longer the utter nonsense of

(unresolved, unacknowledged, possibly sexual tension between guarded, scarred, and emotionally reserved characters that aren't likely to identify/acknowledge attraction nor overcome their relationship fear even if they do, whose gender preference/identity so far isn't even known to be compatible, and who are different species) --> (HAPPILY EVER AFTER!  BECAUSE I SAID SO!)

that characterizes most shipping.  We have a seismic shift here in the last couple of comics.  Faye and Bubbles are now both aware of attraction.   So that's one difficulty dealt with.  I call that a plot point.  It advances toward the possibility of a romantic relationship, which could be good (or horrible) for both of them.  But that's not the whole damn story!

They are still guarded, scarred, emotionally reserved characters that haven't yet acknowledged attraction to each other and may decide not to, who may not overcome their relationship fear, who are different species, who now have a business and a mortgage that makes a romantic relationship TERRIFYING because a broken romance could ruin both of them (and Dora) financially.  And who may, on BOTH sides, have to build an entirely new gender identity if they want to even try to make it work.   The story is only getting started! 

Ignoring all that seems like ignoring who the characters actually are.  All these circumstances, if they were actual people, would put you on your guard against pushing them together or against making stupid assumptions, for fear that might wind up with both of them hurt, or financially ruined.  But, because SHIPPING, people are ignoring all of that and yelling HAPPILY EVER AFTER!  BECAUSE I SAID SO! 

And that's the kind of petty disrespect that upsets me about the shipping discussions.  I don't object to romance in storylines, or even romance as a topic of discussion;  I object to the gleeful leaping-to-conclusions that ignores who the characters are. I object to the negation or deliberate defiance of the plot elements and character traits that the author has spent hard work building, so that he can tell the story of the characters struggling with these difficulties.  Jumping to HAPPILY EVER AFTER! without paying attention to the story still in progress is ignoring the author's hard work.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 12:17 by Morituri »

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #196 on: 03 May 2018, 11:05 »

It occurs to me that as an AI character, Bubbles has at least a couple of ways to cope with some of the difficulties, that humans normally don't.  It would be far easier for her than for any biological to opt for a sex change if Faye has trouble with the gender preference issue.

Which doesn't mean that it would necessarily be a good idea to do so for that reason.  If it's otherwise something she'd prefer not to do it could mean resentment later, or give a context for feelings of anger or betrayal if it doesn't work out.  Faye could wind up feeling far too much pressure after such a drastic change and that could destroy the relationship.  Or Bubbles might just be cisgendered as a female but not as a male, leading to a "working" relationship with a nasty side order of gender dysphoria.

Or it might involve downgrading to a civilian chassis of a more average size/musculature, which could be anything from liberating to its own special brand of Hell for someone accustomed to walking around a little over seven feet tall and able to wad up small cars. 

But it's an option most couples don't, practically speaking, have.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 11:14 by Morituri »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #197 on: 03 May 2018, 11:16 »

I don't see that happening, though. I've the idea that to Bubbles, her chassis is one of the very few links she still has to the past she's lost. It's taken her forever to even take the armour off. I can't believe that, at this stage, it's something she'd forfeit easily, even for Faye. Even if she did, that will lead to issues later on.
And that's aside from the gender issues it might cause. After all, we've come a long way since Pintsize said it was just a hardware setting - and even then it was more than that.

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #198 on: 03 May 2018, 11:41 »

440 Hz?

If it were Faye's vocal chords vibrating at that rate I wouldn't be worried at all. But it's about her brain.

Judging from the pic the oscillations have an amplitude of about two inches. Since I can only do this in metric let's go for a nice round number of 5 centimeters, that is 1/20 th of a meter. So her skull's position, as a function of time, looks something like x(t)=sin (880 Pi*t)/20, t in seconds, x in meters. This gives, by differentiating twice, x''(t)=-38720 pi^2 sin(880 pi t) as the acceleration. In other words, a peak acceleration of 38000 gee. (pi squared meters per second per second is very close to one gee). This feels like an unhealthy level of acceleration. :psyduck:

Addendum: a woodpecker's skull is exposed to 1200 g (at 22Hz). A human will be concussed from 80-100 g.
« Last Edit: 03 May 2018, 11:47 by Skewbrow »
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #199 on: 03 May 2018, 11:50 »

You know, the older I’ve gotten the more I’ve come to believe that these words we use to try to define people aren’t very useful. We invent terms like “heterosexual”, “homosexual”, “bisexual” and try to assign people to distinct categories based on those words. But those categories don’t really match up to the way the world actually works. People are attracted to whoever they are attracted to, they love whoever they love, categories be damned. And I say this as someone who actually fits pretty neatly into that “heterosexual” box, but I see many people around me who don’t fit any of those boxes. The concepts seem pretty well-defined until you start looking at the boundaries between them, and you see that those boundaries are so fuzzy that they don’t really exist. And the solution is not to invent more and more categories for each possible shade of meaning, because that just emphasizes our differences when we should be focusing on our similarities.

I'm so glad to read this!  It's good to know I'm not the only one who dosen't understand some peoples NEED to staple labels on other folks foreheads.  I read a line somewhere that goes "The heart wants what the heart wants"
which pretty much sums my feelings on this.  There was (still is?) a webcomic artist who was absolutely positively a lesbian, and then she went to a WebComic convention in Great Britain, met a guy who was an artist, fell in love and eventually got married.  She got a lot of grief from some of the more militant members of her group, but didn't let that get to her (too much).  I wish I could remember her name, but I'm old and so was the drive I had all my old bookmarks on.  I think her name started with a D........

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up