• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Faye is/has...

having an identity crisis.
dealing with cognitive dissonance.
never had romantic feelings for a woman before now (that she has acknowledged).
never had sexual attraction to a woman before now (that she's acknowledged).
not dealt with the emotional fallout of her last two relationships.
just really really good friends with Bubbles.
dangerously close to developing a ríastrad or "warp spasm".
Oscillating at 440 hz

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3736-3740 (May 6th-10th 2018)  (Read 50723 times)

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT strips 3736-3740 (May 6th-10th 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 07 May 2018, 20:14 »

Requesting permission to shout bravo at an annoyingly loud volume, sir?

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #51 on: 07 May 2018, 20:17 »

So, Faye is blushing, so I'm guessing what she wants to do is something pretty goshdarn erotic.

:-D
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #52 on: 07 May 2018, 20:56 »

"hit it like an anti-tank round"?
:)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #53 on: 07 May 2018, 20:58 »

I find it a bit confusing that there is debate over shipping/not shipping in a comic which is by and large entirely about relationships. I've been waiting for the resolution to this particular situation for some time, but am content to have it unfold as the creator desires. But I specifically came to this forum to hear what other readers think. So far I'm pretty impressed with the civility and diversity of comments, but I do find it distressing when folks post about how they want other people to approach the subject.

Welcome, new person!

Global Moderator Comment There's some history going way back on this. There were people doing creepy and unfounded things as bad as Harry/Draco fiction. It squicked the owner of the forum. It squicked some regulars. That's what we're here to prevent. Since it is a comic about relationships, trying to figure out where relationships are going will be OK with us. The line can get hard to nail down in situations like the early days of Faye and Bubbles.

I'll do some speculation, for example. If by some miracle Faye and Bubbles summon enough good sense to hold the "So what are we now?" talk, I think the likely outcome is "It's complicated".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #54 on: 07 May 2018, 21:00 »

[Insert IT'S HAPPENING! Gif Here]

I sense an avatar change a-coming. :D

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #55 on: 07 May 2018, 21:00 »

I think my username peeved some people for awhile. It was meant to be lighthearted, in good fun, but some people got a bit bootyhurt.

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #56 on: 07 May 2018, 21:25 »

I find it a bit confusing that there is debate over shipping/not shipping in a comic which is by and large entirely about relationships. I've been waiting for the resolution to this particular situation for some time, but am content to have it unfold as the creator desires. But I specifically came to this forum to hear what other readers think. So far I'm pretty impressed with the civility and diversity of comments, but I do find it distressing when folks post about how they want other people to approach the subject.

Welcome, new person!

There's some history going way back on this.  There were people doing creepy and unfounded things as bad as Harry/Draco fiction. It squicked the owner of the forum. It squicked some regulars. That's what we're here to prevent. Since it is a comic about relationships, trying to figure out where relationships are going will be OK with us. The line can get hard to nail down in situations like the early days of Faye and Bubbles.

I'll do some speculation, for example. If by some miracle Faye and Bubbles summon enough good sense to hold the "So what are we now?" talk, I think the likely outcome is "It's complicated".
Thanks, that history explains quite a bit.

In the spirit of the moment, I'll add my own speculation. As far as I can see, neither Faye nor Bubbles is aware that the other has or potentially has feelings for the other. I'm wondering if this will continue for a while, with neither one risking broaching the subject for fear of ruining the current state of affairs. Marten seems to be doing a good job of convincing Faye to take the bull by the horns, but Faye has a long track record of avoiding difficult confrontations, going back to her first story arc.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #57 on: 07 May 2018, 22:05 »

I mean. There's also hakko504, ...

OK, yes, but I hadn't considered Hakko504's example because that, to me, is the textbook example of rejection. BenRG is the only other person I saw referencing a break-up. So may I ask what you consider to be rejection if Hakko's example was a liberal one?  And I stand by my point anyway that 3 people does not a consensus make.

As for today's comic, at first I was a teensy bit frustrated with Marten. Emotional intimacy =/= romance. But then I thought about all of Bubble's blushing and sidelong glances and changed my mind. It's been pretty clear that Bubbles is attracted to Faye. It has been less clear if Faye reciprocates those feelings, but this conversation pretty much confirms it.

I think Marten asking Faye what she wants to do has recontextualized her situation for her. It seems like she's been treating being attracted to Bubbles as a problem. Asking "What am I s'posed to do?" suggests to me that she's thinking "How do I fix this? How do I make this go away?" Thinking about what she wants to do rather than what she is supposed to do may have made her realize that she doesn't want to make it go away.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #58 on: 07 May 2018, 22:28 »

In the spirit of the moment, I'll add my own speculation. As far as I can see, neither Faye nor Bubbles is aware that the other has or potentially has feelings for the other. I'm wondering if this will continue for a while, with neither one risking broaching the subject for fear of ruining the current state of affairs. Marten seems to be doing a good job of convincing Faye to take the bull by the horns, but Faye has a long track record of avoiding difficult confrontations, going back to her first story arc.

Oh my. That would hurt them so much and be so totally in character and create so much opportunity for comedy that I can totally see it happening.

OTOH Faye has noticed but suppressed incidents like Bubbles calling her "beautiful". If those resurface now she'll have to realize that Bubbles has been Interested for some time. If Bubbles has a social protocol database she will know what it implies when someone reaches back to touch your thigh.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #59 on: 07 May 2018, 22:44 »

If only she were wearing the shirt today.
If she finally "gets it", she may never wear the shirt again.  :o
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #60 on: 07 May 2018, 22:59 »

I find it a bit confusing that there is debate over shipping/not shipping in a comic which is by and large entirely about relationships.

Global Moderator Comment There's some history going way back on this.

I guess people don't bother with the sticky threads at the top of the forum these days.  The thread "Conduct in this forum" contains the original discussion which lays out the expectations of the moderators on the matter of shipping, including Jeph's, in his own words.  It remains an reasonable explanation.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #61 on: 07 May 2018, 23:04 »

I think Marten asking Faye what she wants to do has recontextualized her situation for her. It seems like she's been treating being attracted to Bubbles as a problem. Asking "What am I s'posed to do?" suggests to me that she's thinking "How do I fix this? How do I make this go away?" Thinking about what she wants to do rather than what she is supposed to do may have made her realize that she doesn't want to make it go away.
This.
I love whats said here. :3

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #62 on: 07 May 2018, 23:20 »

That's one thing that Marten seems to have a talent for doing (he did it for Tai and Dora too): Make his friends step beyond their immediate reactions, fears and neuroses and actually think about outcomes and consequences. Whilst, in Faye's case, the main result is to convince her of the undesirability of the 'do nothing' strategy, I can't help but think that Jeph deliberately wrote panels 3 and 4 as a visual double-entendre, something that he likes doing.

FWIW, I think that Faye and Bubbles are going to agree not to rush anything but to be open and not afraid to express their feelings with each other. At first, this will lead to some ultra-cute snuggly moments that will just organically move forwards.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #63 on: 07 May 2018, 23:54 »

Did it occur to anyone that Faye may have asked for the back rub as a way to force herself to acknowledge this? To spur on the thing that would finally force her say "yes, I have feelings for Bubbles"?
When I first read 3731, Faye's facial expressions made me think she was deliberately trying to bring things out into the open between her and Bubbles. But then she ran off a few comics later so I guess she wasn't (at least not on a conscious level).

Trebane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #64 on: 08 May 2018, 00:25 »

I really like Marten's outfit

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #65 on: 08 May 2018, 00:38 »

And I stand by my point anyway that 3 people does not a consensus make.

Which would matter if any claim to consensus had been made.

I said "posters in this forum." This represents a plurality (more than one) of the persons who post in this forum. It in no way indicates a majority, consensus, agreement, or otherwise cooperative perspective, only that more than one poster present qualifies from my perspective - which, since you asked, is that being turned down for a date request and being "rejected" are not the same thing. One implies a sense of near-malice or hostility: "I didn't get the job" vs "I got rejected" have a difference in feel. To me, at least.

Emily didn't laugh him out the door, or even suggest she wasn't interested - albeit at a later date. She said "I'm busy right now." Clinton obviously received this as "rejection," but I disagree that's what it was.

Now that my flippant, mostly joking remark has twisted into something serious, let's move on.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #66 on: 08 May 2018, 02:55 »

IF we could ease up on speculating how thick "The Blood of the Covenant" is... that'd be great!   :wow:

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #67 on: 08 May 2018, 04:11 »

Emily didn't laugh him out the door, or even suggest she wasn't interested - albeit at a later date. She said "I'm busy right now." Clinton obviously received this as "rejection," but I disagree that's what it was.

I know this has already gone on longer that is justifiable*, but really, I think it's fairer to say your definition of "rejection" is a bit narrow. He asked her out. She turned him down. That's rejection. The reason is immaterial. Doesn't matter whether it was because she was busy or thought he was ugly. She rejected his proposal.

Don't make me throw a dictionary at you.

* Better than discussing the thickness blood or whatever, which was IMO a non-sequitur to begin with.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #68 on: 08 May 2018, 06:07 »

The problem stems more from the creepy side of shipping. Like the people who try to ship characters that are either not ready for a relationship or not compatible for a relationship. For example, anyone with Hanners. Hanners is a fantastic character, but her own problems has hampered her potential for relationships, to a point where she may never have a "normal" relationship. Look at how significant it was for her to give your own father a hug for his birthday.  Its a major part of her character (although that could change given her bus trip) and its generally agreed that no one ships Hanners, because it just gets very creepy very quickly.

There are occasions where shipping or anything is really out of the blue, and maybe a lot of combinations with Hanners would be weird, but I wouldn't say Hanners might never get 'a relationship'.
That just depends on your definition of relationship, and the kind of stuff you would do with your 'partner'.
I have a friend (well someone floating between acquaintance and friend) who is pretty much as bad as Hannelore anxiety wise. The triggers are slightly different in places, but contact/hugging etc is also a huge problem with her. And she has found relationships sometimes, they were generally asexual in nature (the upside here is, a lot of asexual people have quite similar wishes from a relationship as she does). People can find their ways.
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #69 on: 08 May 2018, 06:36 »

So, Faye is blushing, so I'm guessing what she wants to do is something pretty goshdarn erotic.

:-D
Panels 3 and 4 seem to indicate her cognitive dissonance intensifying.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

« Reply #70 on: 08 May 2018, 06:43 »

BTW, ya'll have no idea how thrilled I am that at least 11 of you know what a ríastrad is.
a real-ass gaddam sword

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #71 on: 08 May 2018, 06:48 »

Good thing they’re having this conversation here.  Pintsize would definitely have something to say.  Of course bringing back his battered chassis to Union Robotics for repair would be a good icebreaker.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #72 on: 08 May 2018, 11:00 »

I equate our two love-struck characters to a pair of bruised porcupines looking for a hug, but they put their coats on inside out.
Damaged, prickly, angry, sensitive, needy, terrified of getting hurt.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #73 on: 08 May 2018, 11:10 »

There are occasions where shipping or anything is really out of the blue, and maybe a lot of combinations with Hanners would be weird, but I wouldn't say Hanners might never get 'a relationship'.
You might not say it, but Hanners herself has said it, and that's what's really important. Since she has made it quite clear that she is not now, and that she may never be, ready for any kind of relationship, any kind of shipping that involves her is absolutely out of character. It's not that "maybe a lot of combinations" would be weird. At the present, any combination with her would be weird and creepy.

Maybe someday she'll decide she is ready to try some kind of relationship, but until she herself says so, that is a purely hypothetical "maybe".

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #74 on: 08 May 2018, 11:17 »

BTW, ya'll have no idea how thrilled I am that at least 11 of you know what a ríastrad is.
You're assuming that at least 11 people know what a ríastrad is.  :)  After all, you put "warp spasm" in there as well, so it's entirely possible that far fewer than 11 people here know just how gruesome terrifying intense a ríastrad really is.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #75 on: 08 May 2018, 11:35 »

I equate our two love-struck characters to a pair of bruised porcupines looking for a hug, but they put their coats on inside out.

I was thinking of the Hedgehog's Dilemma personally.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #76 on: 08 May 2018, 11:55 »

What a time two toucans have making love. When they're beak to beak, they can't get cheek to cheek.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #77 on: 08 May 2018, 12:03 »

"Precious and few are the moments we toucans share".

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #78 on: 08 May 2018, 12:04 »

This is brilliant.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #79 on: 08 May 2018, 12:53 »

And I stand by my point anyway that 3 people does not a consensus make.

Which would matter if any claim to consensus had been made.

I said "posters in this forum." This represents a plurality (more than one) of the persons who post in this forum.

I don't think that's what 'plurality' means ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 08 May 2018, 14:03 »

I'm afraid it does mean "two or more." I say this as someone who has spent far too long reading patents - it's a popular term in such documents.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

« Reply #81 on: 08 May 2018, 14:35 »

That's one thing that Marten seems to have a talent for doing (he did it for Tai and Dora too): Make his friends step beyond their immediate reactions, fears and neuroses and actually think about outcomes and consequences. Whilst, in Faye's case, the main result is to convince her of the undesirability of the 'do nothing' strategy, I can't help but think that Jeph deliberately wrote panels 3 and 4 as a visual double-entendre, something that he likes doing.

FWIW, I think that Faye and Bubbles are going to agree not to rush anything but to be open and not afraid to express their feelings with each other. At first, this will lead to some ultra-cute snuggly moments that will just organically move forwards.
Imagine Marten becoming a relationship counselor.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 08 May 2018, 14:50 »

Maybe someday she'll decide she is ready to try some kind of relationship, but until she herself says so, that is a purely hypothetical "maybe".

Something struck me over my toast and coffee this morning.

Jeph has really taken his time over the Bubbles and Faye storyline. People assumed he was teasing, and maybe he was, but I think mainly he was ensuring that Faye's transformation was believable.

Hanners is currently on sabbatical, potentially for some time. She could undergo all kinds of transformation.

Who knows what Jeph is preparing for her return?

Just a thought.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #83 on: 08 May 2018, 15:09 »

I know this has already gone on longer that is justifiable*, but really, I think it's fairer to say your definition of "rejection" is a bit narrow. He asked her out. She turned him down. That's rejection. The reason is immaterial. Doesn't matter whether it was because she was busy or thought he was ugly. She rejected his proposal.

Don't make me throw a dictionary at you.

Now that my flippant, mostly joking remark has twisted into something serious
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #84 on: 08 May 2018, 15:41 »

I really like Marten's outfit

The real MVP of the comic right now.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #85 on: 08 May 2018, 15:57 »

It's also important to remember that Bubbles didn't trust or like Faye that much at first. Their friendship developed slowly and has deepened into something more. I think everyone can acknowledge this now. If you look back to the comics three years ago, they connected with each other in this amazing and really magical way over time. It's beautiful and amazing to me. If you look at Bubbles in the beginning and look at her now, she's changed so much. No armor, her hair's changed, her attitude has changed, she's relaxed around Faye and they joke and laugh with each other. Every now and then, like when Evie was being a dumbass, Bubbles' wall comes back up, but it's not up nearly as much these days.

If Faye goes to Bubbles and says "I'm sorry, I can't be with you" it would totally break her heart. And she would retreat back into her shell, into the scared, angry, person with serious trust issues she was before, I know it. Because honestly? I do think she's been waiting for Faye. Maybe not entirely on a conscious level, but she is in love with Faye, and I think everyone needs to acknowledge that.

Don't break her heart, Faye. You won't be able to do it without breaking yours too.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #86 on: 08 May 2018, 16:41 »

I know this has already gone on longer that is justifiable,

I don't think that's what 'plurality' means ...

Now that my flippant, mostly joking remark has twisted into something serious, let's move on.

Yes, I misinterpreted "people on this forum" in a general sense, e.g. "squirrels are evil", when Shjade meant it in the plural sense, e.g. "squirrels are eating my garden." It was an easy misunderstanding to make. I should have assumed the meaning that made more sense in context. But the more important issue is that Shjade has asked us to leave it alone and move on and I think we should respect that. So now I'm also asking you politely to leave it be and avoid accidentally antagonizing Shjade.

fayelovesbubbles

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #88 on: 08 May 2018, 16:50 »

Well, speaking of transformations, it's been enjoyable to watch Marten's transformation from literal punching bag and general wishy-washy drifter to the resident sage of the cast.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #89 on: 08 May 2018, 16:53 »

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3166

I'm enjoying my trip down memory lane.

It would not be the last time Faye would lie in bed imagining Bubbles.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #90 on: 08 May 2018, 17:00 »

:lol: :laugh: :lol: :laugh:

Poor Bubbles....

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #91 on: 08 May 2018, 17:28 »

I find it a bit confusing that there is debate over shipping/not shipping in a comic which is by and large entirely about relationships.

There's some history going way back on this.

I guess people don't bother with the sticky threads at the top of the forum these days.  The thread "Conduct in this forum" contains the original discussion which lays out the expectations of the moderators on the matter of shipping, including Jeph's, in his own words.  It remains an reasonable explanation.
I probably read them two or three years ago when I first looked at the forums. Obviously, I did not remember that part. Excuse me.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #92 on: 08 May 2018, 17:43 »

At the end of that thread, we have this:

For what it's worth, I don't care if people overanalyze things. I mean, I think it's stupid, and they're wrong 99% of the time, but that's kind of what forums are FOR. It's the stupid arguing, the creepy character-fetishization, and the "I hate character X no matter what and will drag this into every single discussion" idiocy that I have a problem with.

For whatever it's worth, I feel the same way about all of these. Even though I'm responsible for a goodly portion of the stupid arguing.  :roll:

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #93 on: 08 May 2018, 17:54 »

Something struck me over my toast and coffee this morning.

Jeph has really taken his time over the Bubbles and Faye storyline. People assumed he was teasing, and maybe he was, but I think mainly he was ensuring that Faye's transformation was believable.

Hanners is currently on sabbatical, potentially for some time. She could undergo all kinds of transformation.

Who knows what Jeph is preparing for her return?

Just a thought.
Someone mentioned something about Hanners possibly doing some changing during her travels. Might have been in last week's thread. Might have been you, but since you mentioned thinking of it this morning, I'm guessing it was someone else. The fact that she was brushing out the fur of a yak without freaking out is amazing, but I'm not sure what - if anything - that translates to once she gets home. I'm hoping she comes back at least able to hug her friends more than once or twice a year. I'll keep my expectations there for now, so if she makes more progress, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #94 on: 08 May 2018, 18:09 »

I'm afraid it does mean "two or more." I say this as someone who has spent far too long reading patents - it's a popular term in such documents.

Formally speaking, it means the  most popular opinion, when there is no majority.

For example, in an election where 40% of the people vote for Alice, 35% for Bob, and 25% for Carol, Alice's backers are in the plurality, but not in the majority.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #95 on: 08 May 2018, 18:26 »

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3330

Pretty much any physical contact with Faye has Bubbles blushing.

fayelovesbubbles

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #97 on: 08 May 2018, 19:20 »

Formally speaking, it means the  most popular opinion, when there is no majority.

For example, in an election where 40% of the people vote for Alice, 35% for Bob, and 25% for Carol, Alice's backers are in the plurality, but not in the majority.

Yep sure.

In addition, in the context in which it was actually used, for which the author was incorrectly nitpicked, it means "more than one."

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #98 on: 08 May 2018, 19:25 »

Comic!

Marten is a Very Good Friend TM.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #99 on: 08 May 2018, 19:27 »

Mister positivity himself. :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up