• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Faye is/has...

having an identity crisis.
dealing with cognitive dissonance.
never had romantic feelings for a woman before now (that she has acknowledged).
never had sexual attraction to a woman before now (that she's acknowledged).
not dealt with the emotional fallout of her last two relationships.
just really really good friends with Bubbles.
dangerously close to developing a ríastrad or "warp spasm".
Oscillating at 440 hz

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3736-3740 (May 6th-10th 2018)  (Read 50715 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT strips 3736-3740 (May 6th-10th 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 08 May 2018, 20:16 »

Requesting permission to shout bravo at an annoyingly loud volume, sir?

Global Moderator Comment Permission granted.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #101 on: 08 May 2018, 20:21 »

Well done Marten :) You did good.

Also that last panel... Awww!
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #102 on: 08 May 2018, 20:23 »

Mister positivity himself. :)

Would "You'd better have the 'What are we?" conversation and right away" have been better advice?

Does Faye need the advice Marten gave more?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #103 on: 08 May 2018, 20:29 »

Would "You'd better have the 'What are we?" conversation and right away" have been better advice?

Does Faye need the advice Marten gave more?

"What are we?" Comes after the "I have feelings for you, how do you feel about that?" discussion. Then we line up the UN negotiators and a well paid legal team for the "So we share a room..." summit.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #104 on: 08 May 2018, 20:39 »

I think that advice would have freaked Faye out.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #105 on: 08 May 2018, 20:54 »

I think Faye is more freaked out than she looks anyway.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #106 on: 08 May 2018, 21:07 »

I was just thinking. It kind of sucks that Faye and Bubbles won't be able to cuddle in bed at night because Bubbles has to be plugged into the wall, and cuddling would make that kind of difficult.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #107 on: 08 May 2018, 21:10 »

I was just thinking. It kind of sucks that Faye and Bubbles won't be able to cuddle in bed at night because Bubbles has to be plugged into the wall, and cuddling would make that kind of difficult.

Bubbles will sometimes sit on the bed while plugged in.  There's gotta be a way to make it work.  Move the bed closer to the plug...?

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
« Reply #108 on: 08 May 2018, 21:15 »

Permission granted.

BRAVO!

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #109 on: 08 May 2018, 21:17 »

Bubbles will sometimes sit on the bed while plugged in.  There's gotta be a way to make it work.  Move the bed closer to the plug...?

Yeah, I was thinking that.

As much as I hear "AIs don't need a bed," it bugs me that Bubbles sits on the floor to sleep. I was like, where is her bed?

Penquin47

« Reply #110 on: 08 May 2018, 21:54 »

Or at the very least, she could get a comfy chair like the one she has at CoD!

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #111 on: 08 May 2018, 22:15 »

Just get a longer cord.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #112 on: 08 May 2018, 22:26 »

Extension cords were invented for a reason.

Now, what will tomorrow bring? Do we se Faye going to talk with Bubbles, or are Tai or Claire dropping by to squee?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #113 on: 08 May 2018, 23:30 »

To me, today's strip is all about Faye and Marten. It's about how close they've grown and how they've become even closer than trusted siblings in many ways. It's moments like that where you realise that Dora's paranoid ideation had a point: There is a bond between the two of them that nothing could break and compared to which nothing could be as important. Not all love is romantic in nature so I don't doubt at all when I say this: Marten and Faye truly love each other.

Now, it occurs to me that maybe Marten has an unexplored aptitude when it comes to understanding people's feelings and needs. He's been able to navigate Claire's insecurities very well and we remember how good he is at helping Tai and Dora confront their own relationship problems. It's this empathy and this will to help people that's very characteristic of him, IMO.

I'm expecting some cuteness on this front. Naturally, at first, they're both going to be reluctant to change anything due to their own insecurities (and Bubbles will insist, without evidence, that the bed can't take both their weight) Maybe Bubbles resting spot edging closer and closer to Faye's bed and one night, she gets so close that she and Faye end up touching hands. Then Faye has an unsettled night and, much to her surprise, wakes up sitting in Bubbles' lap and wrapped in her arms (uncomfortable and backache-inducing but surprisingly nice). Finally, Faye will snap and insist that Bubbles 'sleep' in her bed. Bubbles will be most reluctant but will admit after a while that she enjoys it.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #114 on: 08 May 2018, 23:45 »

Yeah, I was thinking that.

As much as I hear "AIs don't need a bed," it bugs me that Bubbles sits on the floor to sleep. I was like, where is her bed?
Bubbles weighs well over 400 lbs, she'd need something reinforced with automobile shock springs.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #115 on: 08 May 2018, 23:50 »

Bubbles weighs well over 400 lbs, she'd need something reinforced with automobile shock springs.

Wrong, actually. Bubbles has already laid on Faye's bed with her when she was still wearing her armour. Either Faye's bed is made out of titanium alloy and has a hydraulic pump matress or Bubbles has some kind of anti-gravity generator!

Either that or she isn't really that abnormally heavy.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #116 on: 09 May 2018, 00:22 »

Extension cords were invented for a reason.

I now choose to believe that Robo-snuggles was EXACTLY why the first extension cords were created sometime around 1909.

Truly, such men of science were visionaries.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #117 on: 09 May 2018, 00:59 »

Wrong, actually. Bubbles has already laid on Faye's bed with her when she was still wearing her armour. Either Faye's bed is made out of titanium alloy and has a hydraulic pump matress or Bubbles has some kind of anti-gravity generator!

Either that or she isn't really that abnormally heavy.
Just spitballing for a second...

I don't recall if they've ever mentioned exactly how tall she is, but if they have standard commercial 7' doors in their apartment, I'm guessing she's about 6'8" tall. The upper range of average weight for a physically fit large-frame human woman of 6'8" is around 200 lbs. Since they used state-of-the-art materials in fabricating her body, she probably doesn't weigh much more than a human would.

I did a quick search for queen-size bed frames, and the first one I clicked on was a walnut frame with a weight capacity of 800 lbs. Even a full-size bed frame on the same site also has a capacity of 800 lbs.

For the sake of arguing on the high side, and I really don't think she weighs that much, but let's say Faye weighs up to 200 lbs. And even if we do allow for Bubbles weighing that 400 lbs - twice the weight of a human her size - that's still a combined weight of only 600 lbs - far less than the limit of the bed.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #118 on: 09 May 2018, 01:25 »

Permission granted.

*puts on ear protection and takes cover

Permission granted.

BRAVO!

*unplugs one ear, looks around in surprice. 'That was it? I was expecting something more like this...'

« Last Edit: 09 May 2018, 01:34 by oeoek »

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #119 on: 09 May 2018, 04:56 »

Bubbles has laid on the bed before. She didn't let Faye snuggle her and said "Faye, you'll be sore tomorrow" while blushing.

This reminds me of this article I read about the growing obesity crisis and beds today. Bubbles isn't obese, of course, she's an AI, but the weight thing still stands.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #120 on: 09 May 2018, 05:41 »

At the end of that thread, we have this:

For what it's worth, I don't care if people overanalyze things. I mean, I think it's stupid, and they're wrong 99% of the time, but that's kind of what forums are FOR. It's the stupid arguing, the creepy character-fetishization, and the "I hate character X no matter what and will drag this into every single discussion" idiocy that I have a problem with.

For whatever it's worth, I feel the same way about all of these. Even though I'm responsible for a goodly portion of the stupid arguing.  :roll:

I think a majority of us would join you on that particular pedestal... on both statements... for what it's worth.  :angelface:
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

TheEvilDog

« Reply #121 on: 09 May 2018, 05:58 »

At the end of that thread, we have this:

For what it's worth, I don't care if people overanalyze things. I mean, I think it's stupid, and they're wrong 99% of the time, but that's kind of what forums are FOR. It's the stupid arguing, the creepy character-fetishization, and the "I hate character X no matter what and will drag this into every single discussion" idiocy that I have a problem with.

For whatever it's worth, I feel the same way about all of these. Even though I'm responsible for a goodly portion of the stupid arguing.  :roll:

Seconded. What especially gets me is when people treat characters as though they are real. Its a whole other level of creepy.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #122 on: 09 May 2018, 06:04 »

In addition, in the context in which it was actually used, for which the author was incorrectly nitpicked, it means "more than one."

Context is all.  My Shorter OED lists four variants on the meaning, the first being "the state of being plural", "numerousness", or "a multitude"; the second referring to someone holding two ecclesiastical offices at the same time; the third being "the greater number" (an absolute majority); the fourth being "a political majority which is not absolute" - this meaning being indicated as specifically US.  Chambers has all these, and adds specifically "a plural number".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #123 on: 09 May 2018, 06:07 »

What especially gets me is when people treat characters as though they are real. Its a whole other level of creepy.

But treating fictional characters differently from real-life people opens the doors to causing wide-spread offence.  To give an extreme example, the mods here would not tolerate the idea that a fictional character can have a pass for rape "because they are not real".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

phunni

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #124 on: 09 May 2018, 06:21 »

OK, I don't know how popular this opinion will be (I'm guessing not very), but I registered just to express it!

I'm really disappointed that Faye and Bubble's relationship seems to be turning into something romantic because:

A) It's a little too obvious
B) It would be nice to see the kind of relationship reflected that is deep friendship - where two people actually love each other, but are friends and there's nothing sexual/romantic in it at all
C) If they do this, it kind of has to work because both of them have huge insecurities and would be seriously damaged by it not working out.

I suppose that last one isn't really a reason against, but anyway...

So there it is, I finally vented the frustration that's been building inside of me!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #125 on: 09 May 2018, 06:25 »

It's not impossible that your suggestion could be the outcome of Faye and Bubbles talking it out, as is now more or less inevitable.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #126 on: 09 May 2018, 07:01 »

I would hope the girls do NOT rush this. Faye doesn't have issues, she has SUBSCRIPTIONS. As does Bubbles.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #127 on: 09 May 2018, 07:08 »

What especially gets me is when people treat characters as though they are real. Its a whole other level of creepy.

But treating fictional characters differently from real-life people opens the doors to causing wide-spread offence.  To give an extreme example, the mods here would not tolerate the idea that a fictional character can have a pass for rape "because they are not real".

I meant people giving fictional characters advice as if they were really giving a person advice. I mean, its great that people can connect to a character, its a sign of good writing, but there's a point or a line crossed where they connect a little too much. If that makes any sense.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #128 on: 09 May 2018, 07:14 »

OIC - you could say that giving the characters advice in any seriousness is the author's prerogative, and we shouldn't be interfering.  On the other hand, screaming "No, Faye!! Don't do that!!" at a particular strip is just a reaction to the story, and so is probably fine.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #129 on: 09 May 2018, 07:20 »

Or "Oh, X don't do that. Don't you do that and hurt Y why like that. Why are you breaking Y's heart? All Y has ever done is love you X!"

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #130 on: 09 May 2018, 07:30 »

B) It would be nice to see the kind of relationship reflected that is deep friendship - where two people actually love each other, but are friends and there's nothing sexual/romantic in it at all

You mean, exactly like the relationship portrayed in today’s comic?

Granted, at the beginning of QC there were romantic and sexual feelings between Marten and Faye, but they have long since moved past that and into the kind of relationship you say you would like to see.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #131 on: 09 May 2018, 09:12 »

Why is it "frustrating" for two characters in QC to have a romantic relationship? I don't understand.

Furthermore, there have been hints all along that Faye and Bubbles have feelings that are deeper than friendship. I don't understand why so many readers here need them to be "just friends." They aren't just friends, and I don't understand why that's difficult to accept.

Marten and Faye have a deep friendship. There you go. Deep friendship, like you want to see.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #132 on: 09 May 2018, 10:21 »

Castlerock, people yell shit at the screen when watching movies. It's not like they actually think the characters can hear them. It's just expressing an emotional reaction to the story.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #133 on: 09 May 2018, 12:13 »

Welcome to the forum, Phunni!

I agree that seeing people who love eachother deeply and aren't romantic is great and can be a refreshing change of pace when we're accustomed to seeing romances. I commented earlier that emotional intimacy is not the same as romance and should not necessarily imply it (OK, what I said was just "intimacy =/= romance" , but I meant it all).  But we do see those relationships, too. Faye has those relationships with Marten and Dora. Brun seems to have a very close friendship with Renee where Renee is just as protective of Brun as Faye is of Bubbles. Momo and May look like they're developing that sort of friendship. It's true that Faye and Marten are the only two with romantic potential with that kind of platonic relationship; and that isn't irrelevant to the question, but that relationship and its development was arguably central to the comic for much of its early years. While I hear what you're saying, I feel like Jeph told that story with Marten and Faye and he wants to tell a different one with Faye and Bubbles.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #134 on: 09 May 2018, 14:07 »

Welcome, new person!

C) If they do this, it kind of has to work because both of them have huge insecurities and would be seriously damaged by it not working out.

Bubbles in particular needs a friendship more than she needs romance, as I see it. She has lost the bond with her squad. She needs emotional support as she experiments with being in the world. Romance could come later.

No argument possible, they're both at high emotional risk. Wacky hijinks could be funny but an outright disaster for the nonexistent people would make me sad.

Faye is already treating Bubbles unfairly, though certainly it may be the best she can do. How would you feel if your best friend asked you for a back rub, then reached back to touch your thigh, then ran out? How would you feel if you were emotionally fragile to begin with?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #135 on: 09 May 2018, 14:37 »

Or "Oh, X don't do that. Don't you do that and hurt Y why like that. Why are you breaking Y's heart? All Y has ever done is love you X!"

I get your point. Simply transpose to a granny watching a telenovela to understand what Castlerook means, I think...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #136 on: 09 May 2018, 15:05 »

[snip]

Faye is already treating Bubbles unfairly, though certainly it may be the best she can do. How would you feel if your best friend asked you for a back rub, then reached back to touch your thigh, then ran out? How would you feel if you were emotionally fragile to begin with?

I'd argue that Faye is only treating Bubbles unfairly if she comes back and doesn't immediately explain why she left. panicking at a tricky social situation is unavoidable sometimes, but you can always explain that's what happened, and failing to do so is what has lasting conequence, in my opinion.

an in-comic example is when Renee was super weird to Elliot then, when she realized she fucked up, apologized and explained the situation. Obviously there are limits to the situations this pertains to, but I think it does apply to the Faye/ Bubbles situation.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #137 on: 09 May 2018, 17:07 »

Bubbles in particular needs a friendship more than she needs romance, as I see it. She has lost the bond with her squad. She needs emotional support as she experiments with being in the world. Romance could come later.
I quite agree. Bubbles was basically shut down emotionally for some time. She had lost her squad. Even though it was not her fault, I think she feels that she failed them. So it's been difficult for her to allow someone else to trust her. Then she trusted Corpse Witch to help her, only to get blackmailed instead, making it nigh impossible for her to trust anyone else. Now that someone has finally come along who has been dedicated and patient enough to trust her and earn her trust, and to forge a friendship, her emotions have been re-awakened at an intense level.

Unquestionably, she and Faye love each other. That much was obvious even before there was any hint of romantic interest from either of them. Yes, it is entirely possible that this has become romantic love, but it is equally possible that they are both mistaking these sudden intense emotions for romance, when it is only a very strong friendship. For them to jump into a romantic relationship headfirst as soon as they have realized that it is a possibility is a huge risk for both of them. I've been there and made that mistake. Hopefully, now that the envelope is open, as it were, they can take it slow and see how the letter unfolds.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #138 on: 09 May 2018, 18:41 »

>Unquestionably, she and Faye love each other.

Yes. People in my culture often seem to forget that love includes philos.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

tut21

• Plantmonster
« Reply #139 on: 09 May 2018, 19:07 »

Comic's up.

I hope Bubbles is merely sniffing some tea at Coffee of Doom. More likely she's walking laps around town or turning to Pintsize for advice as a matter of last resort.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2018, 19:13 by tut21 »

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #140 on: 09 May 2018, 19:17 »

Oh no!!! :((((

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #141 on: 09 May 2018, 19:19 »

Ok, here's what I think.

At that same moment that Faye had her lightbulb moment, Bubbles had her own moment. When Faye ran away, Bubbles thought "omg, she knows, she figured it out, she doesn't feel the same, oh no oh no oh no" and ran away because she doesn't know what to do.

This is horrible!!!

Does Faye even understand that she could shatter Bubbles' whole world? Bubbles said... "your friendship was the sole source of joy in the final part of my existence."

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3395

Faye could absolutely destroy Bubbles. She has no idea what her running away might have done to Bubbles. She gotta find Bubbles now and make things right. Go, Faye, GO!!!!!
« Last Edit: 09 May 2018, 19:26 by fayelovesbubbles »

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #142 on: 09 May 2018, 19:27 »

My thoughts on the current situation.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #143 on: 09 May 2018, 19:31 »

My thoughts on the current situation.

OMG how high were they? lol.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #144 on: 09 May 2018, 19:52 »

According to the both of them, they've never done the show high. I think they're kind of like me and my friends; we manage to say stupid shit that we find funny all by ourselves.

To prevent the Game Grumps from derailing this thread, I'll say that something to keep in mind is that Faye and Bubbles live in the same apartment, so they're going to have to have this conversation at some point today.

Now, if Bubbs doesn't show up at their apartment tonight, then we should start posting more reaction videos.

SpanielBear

« Reply #145 on: 09 May 2018, 19:55 »

Out-there possibility: Bubbles has left on a journey of self discovery. By the law of conservation of narrative, she will find herself seeking guidance with the same shaman Will did all those strips ago. By use of mysterious herbs (i.e. An old packet of lapsang suchong he found in the back of a cupboard), her spirit guide will be revealed.

She will return to Union Robotics with a hangover and many pretty unicorn decals.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #146 on: 09 May 2018, 19:57 »

My prediction: Faye breaks down and starts babbling about her feelings and how her fear over her feelings has probably driven Bubbles away, just like everybody else she cared about*. As she falls to her knees crying, she notices Bubbles standing in the door.

"Melon wanted me to look at a robot that was growling in distress. It was actually a car."

Then they hug, somewhat more than friend style.

*In grief state she will fail to realize that she hasn't driven away most of the people she cares about, but that's grief for you.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #147 on: 09 May 2018, 20:03 »

And after the talk with Marten, she's still trying to chicken out of doing anything. "I'll just keep quiet to give myself time to think." Bull. It's another attempt to avoid dealing with the situation. Certainly it would be insulting as hell to Bubbles if she had returned and then lied to her face about why she ran off. Not doing anybody any favors with this action, but it's exactly the kind of avoidance behavior that causes most of her problems. Anyone care to bet she starts looking for a bottle next?

Penquin47

« Reply #148 on: 09 May 2018, 20:13 »

If Bubbles doesn't get back soon, I would not be at all surprised if Faye started looking for a bottle under the pretense of looking for Bubbles.  Hopefully she finds Bubbles first...

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #149 on: 09 May 2018, 20:17 »

Yeah, if Bubbles doesn't turn up I can see Faye getting blind drunk.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up