• Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Faye is/has...

having an identity crisis.
dealing with cognitive dissonance.
never had romantic feelings for a woman before now (that she has acknowledged).
never had sexual attraction to a woman before now (that she's acknowledged).
not dealt with the emotional fallout of her last two relationships.
just really really good friends with Bubbles.
dangerously close to developing a ríastrad or "warp spasm".
Oscillating at 440 hz

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3736-3740 (May 6th-10th 2018)  (Read 51794 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT strips 3736-3740 (May 6th-10th 2018)
« Reply #150 on: 09 May 2018, 20:46 »

How do you call or text a robot anyway? It's the minimum thing for Faye to do. Do robots have their cell phones built in? For a military chassis that would raise EMCON issues.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #151 on: 09 May 2018, 20:59 »

The same way you would a human...?
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #152 on: 09 May 2018, 21:25 »

New robot fighting ring or Coffee of Doom? Taking bets, taking bets!

(No spoilers, patreons).
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #153 on: 09 May 2018, 21:31 »

I don't trust that woman with a pen.  She looks far too much like Spookybot. 

Returning to an empty shop shouldn't be a cause for concern so I'm thinking there's something written on the wall that's blocked by Faye's head. 

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #154 on: 09 May 2018, 21:51 »

(No spoilers, patreons).

These have been a tough couple of days, honestly. Inability to really talk about what's going on in the comic for fear of giving too much away leading to picking silly fights about the meaning of "plurality" and "rejection."  :roll:

If we don't get a week of bonus comics about red pen lady, I will be be disappoint. I am kinda jealous of her simple red pen pleasure.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #155 on: 09 May 2018, 23:03 »

If we don't get a week of bonus comics about red pen lady, I will be be disappoint. I am kinda jealous of her simple red pen pleasure.
How about a week of Steve eating cereal, with special appearances in Steve's kitchen by Melon and the Cereal Elf. Maybe even Tortura and May. And then seeing Red Pen Lady meet up on the street with Sweet Tits. And maybe seeing Punchbot recruiting Deathbot 9000 as a security guard for the new and legal robot fighting club.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #156 on: 09 May 2018, 23:09 »

I don't trust that woman with a pen.  She looks far too much like Spookybot. 

Returning to an empty shop shouldn't be a cause for concern so I'm thinking there's something written on the wall that's blocked by Faye's head.

On the one hand, I don't trust Spookybot without a pen. On the other hand, I trust Spookybot completely in 100% of situations. They were strongly suggested to be a distributed AI, or a "zombie AI" as Bubbles called it. Fundamentally alien, completely amoral,  only concerned with their  own wellbeing and interests, and possessing vast computational power. Do as they ask and you'll be fine. Refuse and they will... compel you.

As for the empty facility, they have a business to run. Bubbles leaving the shop unattended is cause for concern on its own. While it's possible Bubbles could have gone out for supplies, it is likely that she would have waited for Faye to return unless she had some reason not to. Bubbles had a reason to go and, in her current mental state, Faye is likely to assume the worst possible reason she can think of.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #157 on: 09 May 2018, 23:14 »

This is the important part for Faye. I suspect that she's just going to stand there in the shop, creating ever more horrible possibilities in her head about where Bubbles may be right now. She's going to realise just how important Bubbles has become to her and just how terrible it would be if she loses her and that will be the thing that knocks down the last of her denial and the last of her wanting things to be 'like they always are'.

The real comedy will be Bubbles' reaction when she returns only to be body-tackled by a weeping Faye who starts babbling about how she loves her and needs her. It isn't that she won't enjoy having Faye give her a death-grip hug but it will still be very shocking! :lol:

Meanwhile, I'm thinking that the lady with the red pen is a fellow web-artist or possibly a particularly generous Patreon contributor who Jeph has rewarded by giving them a walk-on part. Whoever it is has a very special relationship with their pen!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #158 on: 09 May 2018, 23:44 »

This is the important part for Faye. I suspect that she's just going to stand there in the shop, creating ever more horrible possibilities in her head about where Bubbles may be right now. She's going to realise just how important Bubbles has become to her and just how terrible it would be if she loses her and that will be the thing that knocks down the last of her denial and the last of her wanting things to be 'like they always are'.
My bet is that Faye is going to go running back to Marten screaming something to the effect of "Marty, she's gone! What am I gonna do?!"

Meanwhile, I'm thinking that the lady with the red pen is a fellow web-artist or possibly a particularly generous Patreon contributor who Jeph has rewarded by giving them a walk-on part. Whoever it is has a very special relationship with their pen!
Maybe she's a rookie MiB, and she thinks her new red pen is a Neuralyzer.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #159 on: 09 May 2018, 23:45 »

It is also possible that Jeph simply thought the walk back to the shop needed a little more visual dynamism and created a random passer-by. Sure, the possibility that they are someone of some significance known only to Jeph offers more explanatory power, but it is not impossible that they have no significance to anyone at all. For every historical phenomenon explained as possible religious significance, I always weigh that possibility against the question "What if they were just drunk at the time?"

And yes, I think that Faye is likely to let her imagination run wild with all the ways she's just potentially ruined things with Bubbles (even though she almost certainly hasn't) and realizing the possibility that things can go wrong will bring her feelings and their relationship into sharp focus.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #160 on: 09 May 2018, 23:58 »

How do you call or text a robot anyway? It's the minimum thing for Faye to do. Do robots have their cell phones built in? For a military chassis that would raise EMCON issues.
Based on what we've seen, I assume they do have built-in communications. And we know Bubbles has an actual phone number, since we saw Claire call Bubbles to carry her dresser when she moved in with Marten. I don't think it would be an issue for EMCON, since she should be able to turn it off.

Trebane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #161 on: 10 May 2018, 00:26 »

It would be cool to see Bubbles having a heart to heart with a character who isn't Faye but I don't know who she would be close enough to or trust enough to have that kind of conversation.
I like Claire drawings so hopefully it's her.

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #162 on: 10 May 2018, 01:13 »

New robot fighting ring or Coffee of Doom? Taking bets, taking bets!

(No spoilers, patreons).
I'm not a patreon so I'll take a punt.

Those are definitely the two mostly likely possibilities but I'm also thinking there's an outside chance of her going to talk to Claire. Remember when they shared about body stuff with each other? I think if Bubbles wants to talk to a human she will probably choose Claire. She also talked to Hanners once before when upset at Faye but Hanners is away now.

And didn't we last see Claire at Coffee of Doom? Convenient! Hopefully Claire will be able restrain herself enough to merely squeal with glee on the inside because Claire getting overexcited wouldn't help. What could help, however, is Claire sharing about when she first started dating Marten. There are actually quite a few parallels - first time in a romantic relationship, never expected to be in a relationship, anxiety about possibly being rejected over body stuff - so I think Claire would be a great person for Bubbles to talk to about this. Assuming that Claire can show restraint of course but we have seen her working on that already.

So I'll put my money on Bubbles at the coffee shop talking to Claire. Although this does also seem like a natural pause spot for this arc so I wouldn't be surprised if Jeph switches to focus on another arc for a while.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 01:41 by jesslc »

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #163 on: 10 May 2018, 03:13 »

(No spoilers, patreons).

These have been a tough couple of days, honestly. Inability to really talk about what's going on in the comic for fear of giving too much away leading to picking silly fights about the meaning of "plurality" and "rejection."  :roll:

I suspect she got it from http://www.penisland.net/.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #164 on: 10 May 2018, 03:37 »

It would be cool to see Bubbles having a heart to heart with a character who isn't Faye but I don't know who she would be close enough to or trust enough to have that kind of conversation.

That's a good question. I'd normally say 'Hannelore' but she's in Mongolia right now. I would strongly recommend against Dora or Tai because they'd likely say something like: "Go for it and then tell us how good it was". Unless Jeph is planning on making Marten's life difficult, he is unlikely. It's possible that I do Dora and Tai a disadvantage. Maybe, teasing aside, they can at least give Bubbles some advice about how humans react to surprising feelings.

FWIW, if it's Claire, then I hope that she tells Bubbles about the Head Scritching Incident and how that convinced Marten that he was physically attracted to her. Sometimes it takes moments like that to short-circuit social awkwardness and Bubbles should be aware that Faye may have had an epiphany of sorts.
~~~~

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #165 on: 10 May 2018, 04:47 »

I don't recall too many times when Jeph gave a real person a walk on part. I know Danielle Corsetto did, but not Jeph.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #166 on: 10 May 2018, 04:56 »

Jeph has put his friends in a few bar or street scenes, especially in the Strip 1000-2000 period.
~~~~

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #167 on: 10 May 2018, 07:03 »

PLEASE let this just be Bubbles running a errand....

peacetokengy

• Not quite a lurker
    • Holy crap...Myspace!
« Reply #168 on: 10 May 2018, 08:22 »

I've related to Faye since the beginning. She is what drew me in to the comic strip. I'd be slightly upset if she were bi or a lesbian because I could no longer relate on the same level. Don't get me wrong, I support the lgbt community 100%, I just find it hard to understand how so many new characters are introduced and centered on LGBT. The imaginary balance that makes the characters' relationships enjoyable to everyone is tipping a little.
I think if there is going to be that big of a focus on LGBT it he comic should at least address more of the hardships they face.
-Imakuni?-

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #169 on: 10 May 2018, 09:28 »

I've related to Faye since the beginning. She is what drew me in to the comic strip. I'd be slightly upset if she were bi or a lesbian because I could no longer relate on the same level. Don't get me wrong, I support the lgbt community 100%, I just find it hard to understand how so many new characters are introduced and centered on LGBT. The imaginary balance that makes the characters' relationships enjoyable to everyone is tipping a little.
I think if there is going to be that big of a focus on LGBT it he comic should at least address more of the hardships they face.

These criticisms have arisen before and my response remains the same.
1. Queer people (used here collectively, and admittedly inefficiently, to refer to people who are non-cis and/or non-het), in my own experience, like the company of other queer people because of a mutual understanding of the hardships involved and how it affects every interaction you have with the world.
2. There are plenty of LGBT hardship fictional characters out there. A trans member of the forum once observed that however unrealistic Claire having no struggle with being trans is, it would likely be the only example anyone can think of where that happens. Queer people are so often defined by their struggle, by victimhood, rather than just characteristics of them as a person which happen to include queerness. Seeing a group of friends like this of all sexualities and genders is extremely valuable for me. And while it would be a shame for you to no longer feel like you identify with Faye, in the nicest possible way - almost all other popular culture in history has plenty of non-queer characters to identify with. Queer folk just don't have as many to choose from.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #170 on: 10 May 2018, 09:28 »

Don't get me wrong, I support the lgbt community 100%, I just find it hard to understand how so many new characters are introduced and centered on LGBT.

Marten, Steve, Cosette, Penelope, Raven, Will, Sven, Hannelore, Jim, Clinton, Renee, Brun, Dale, Marigold... That's hardly a comprehensive list. There are still lots of cis het characters in QC. I suspect that people are less inclined to notice cis het characters both because they are common and because characters are usually assumed to be cis het until stated otherwise. With LGBTQ+ characters, we will at some point draw attention to them being LGBTQ+. I understand feeling like there is a sudden influx of LGBTQ+ characters; it does seem like a lot of the newer characters have been, but it's hardly a staggering number in the grand scheme of things. And even apart from Jeph making an effort to be more inclusive with the cast, it wouldn't even be that surprising to see that kind of LGBTQ+ distribution in a group of real friends. LGBTQ+ people tend to cluster for a lot of reasons.

I totally get that, but sometimes I just want to read stories about trans people that aren't about being trans. I want to see Claire living a normal life. I want to see her eat a muffin or pick up her dry cleaning without being a story of the tragic hardship of being trans. Because that's aspirational for me. Stories about LGBTQ+ issues are absolutely important, but stories about them being normal are important, too.

*edit*
And Thrillho beat me to the punch almost point for point while I was posting. So, I second the motion, I guess.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #171 on: 10 May 2018, 10:08 »

That's a good question. I'd normally say 'Hannelore' but she's in Mongolia right now. I would strongly recommend against Dora or Tai because they'd likely say something like: "Go for it and then tell us how good it was". Unless Jeph is planning on making Marten's life difficult, he is unlikely. It's possible that I do Dora and Tai a disadvantage. Maybe, teasing aside, they can at least give Bubbles some advice about how humans react to surprising feelings.

FWIW, if it's Claire, then I hope that she tells Bubbles about the Head Scritching Incident and how that convinced Marten that he was physically attracted to her. Sometimes it takes moments like that to short-circuit social awkwardness and Bubbles should be aware that Faye may have had an epiphany of sorts.
I see Tai being more likely than Dora to say "go for it." After all, she's the one who said "Waiting's for suckers." Dora seems to approach things a little bit slower. That's my first impression anyway.

RE: The head-skritching incident: I got the impression that Marten already knew that he was attracted to Claire, but Panel 3 was when it finally clicked for Claire that she was truly attracted to him. She was obviously feeling it before, but she was denying it, even after Faye called it. And it was the moment when Claire realized that Marten was attracted to her, and Marten realized that Claire was attracted to him, and they both realized that the other had realized it. This first panel is one of the most powerful wordless panels I've seen in the comic. Frankly, I was glad to see that Claire had the sense to see that since Marten was drunk, they should wait and see how it looked when he was sober. She wanted to be sure that it was genuine attraction and not just the booze. I was also glad to see that they both thought it looked the same in the morning.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #172 on: 10 May 2018, 11:24 »

So, it will turn out that Bubbles just went for some tea?  Right? RIGHT!?   That woman seems far to pleased about that red pen, is it some artificially rare item, like the red iPhone?  Just curious, but how did she open that overhead door from the outside?

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #173 on: 10 May 2018, 11:50 »

You guys got it all wrong.
Red pen lady is Darth Beatrice's new apprentice!  :parrot:

Her suit?
It looks very similar to the one we saw Beatrice wearing in 3638, with tie, buttons, etc... Clearly the pupil is trying to copy her masters style here.

And the red pen? Red??
If that's not an obvious substitute for a red light saber, then I don't know what is..!

Ahem... you can thank me later...  8-)
« Last Edit: 10 May 2018, 11:58 by Bad Superman »

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #174 on: 10 May 2018, 12:40 »

I suspect she got it from http://www.penisland.net/.
This looks like one of those times where a hyphen would make quite a difference in the url.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #175 on: 10 May 2018, 13:22 »

I've related to Faye since the beginning. She is what drew me in to the comic strip. I'd be slightly upset if she were bi or a lesbian because I could no longer relate on the same level.

I understand this feeling - I felt the same when Claire started to shift from "awkward, slightly timid bookworm" to "modern-day Emma Woodhouse" after the time-skip, as prior to that I'd always found her very relatable. I suppose for both characters it's a case of character development, though: Claire coming out of her shell and becoming more confident, and Faye experiencing fluctuations in her sexuality for the first time.

nightshade

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #176 on: 10 May 2018, 14:36 »

just a question .....Who in the strip would tell faye not to go for it ?

only other person in the strip shed even ask about it is  dora ..... or  maybe martens mom because shes been into alternative relationships ......

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #177 on: 10 May 2018, 14:41 »

What would you qualify as an alternative relationship, out of pressure-free interest?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #178 on: 10 May 2018, 15:56 »

Stories about LGBTQ+ issues are absolutely important, but stories about them being normal are important, too.

This is indeed what drew a considerable number of transgender folk to the comic and to this forum, and hence led to this community being the way it is.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #179 on: 10 May 2018, 16:32 »

I've related to Faye since the beginning. She is what drew me in to the comic strip. I'd be slightly upset if she were bi or a lesbian because I could no longer relate on the same level.

I understand this feeling - I felt the same when Claire started to shift from "awkward, slightly timid bookworm" to "modern-day Emma Woodhouse" after the time-skip, as prior to that I'd always found her very relatable. I suppose for both characters it's a case of character development, though: Claire coming out of her shell and becoming more confident, and Faye experiencing fluctuations in her sexuality for the first time.
FWIW, my take on Claire is that when we first met her, no one knew she was trans except her own family. As far as anyone else knew, she was no different from the preacher's daughter down the street. She had been concealing the fact that she was trans. Keeping secrets about yourself is hard on a person. Not that she needed to broadcast it to the world, but she was consciously keeping it a secret. Not because she's ashamed of it at all, but I think because she was afraid that people would think less of her because of it. She was already a shy bookworm, and probably took plenty of teasing for that all her life. Her big turning point was when she told Marten she was trans, and he didn't flinch. There wasn't so much as a hint of negativity in his response. Once she told Marten and Emily, and they were totally accepting of her, she realized there was nothing to fear after all. Sure, it may happen that no one else ever does find out, which is fine, too. But she's not actively trying to hide it now. If it comes up, she's OK with that. And knowing that she can be herself around her friends has allowed her to be more confident. Yeah, she's still a shy bookworm, but now she's a comfortable shy bookworm.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #180 on: 10 May 2018, 16:38 »

Just curious, but how did she open that overhead door from the outside?
That is an excellent question.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #181 on: 10 May 2018, 16:47 »

The ones at my work are lifted from the outside pretty easily unless you loop the chain over a hook on the wall when you close it.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #182 on: 10 May 2018, 17:39 »

just a question .....Who in the strip would tell faye not to go for it ?

only other person in the strip shed even ask about it is  dora ..... or  maybe martens mom because shes been into alternative relationships ......

The robophobic business owner and the ones who taunted Bubbles.

Of the characters, I can imagine Momo personally delighted but afraid there would be a political backlash that would set back her struggle to advance AI rights through respectability politics. Of course Bubbles and Faye are respectable but it's an effective way to terrify people to activate the "They're taking our women!" fear. Momo could worry that the robophobic preacher and his ilk could use a human-AI match as a weapon against her work.

Not likely though. I think she'd welcome their relationship in all ways.

Faye's therapist might tell her to take it slow.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

peacetokengy

• Not quite a lurker
    • Holy crap...Myspace!
« Reply #183 on: 10 May 2018, 18:26 »

These criticisms have arisen before and my response remains the same.
1. Queer people (used here collectively, and admittedly inefficiently, to refer to people who are non-cis and/or non-het), in my own experience, like the company of other queer people because of a mutual understanding of the hardships involved and how it affects every interaction you have with the world.
2. There are plenty of LGBT hardship fictional characters out there. A trans member of the forum once observed that however unrealistic Claire having no struggle with being trans is, it would likely be the only example anyone can think of where that happens. Queer people are so often defined by their struggle, by victimhood, rather than just characteristics of them as a person which happen to include queerness. Seeing a group of friends like this of all sexualities and genders is extremely valuable for me. And while it would be a shame for you to no longer feel like you identify with Faye, in the nicest possible way - almost all other popular culture in history has plenty of non-queer characters to identify with. Queer folk just don't have as many to choose from.
Thanks for putting it in a different perspective. I think im just a little sour because I found her so relatable. When I first started reading the comic we even looked similar lol. It's not that I can't relate to her anymore aside from that as long as her identity crisis doesn't completely change her.
-Imakuni?-

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #184 on: 10 May 2018, 18:38 »

Looks like all the fears that Bubbles ran away was much ado about nothing, but we still have to wait until Monday for the talk.

SpanielBear

« Reply #185 on: 10 May 2018, 18:49 »

Comic!

Code 3! For when two people have been shuffling for so damn long their friends have gone full Von Clausewitz and written the manual.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #186 on: 10 May 2018, 18:52 »

Now we just have to hope that Faye does nothing silly in the meantime...  :-o
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SpanielBear

« Reply #187 on: 10 May 2018, 19:01 »

One question- who did Dora call?

Smart money would be on Tai, but Marten may still qualify as "babe". Emily and Claire are contenders, Hannelore has strong credentials but is on the wrong continent, and Pintsize forms the horrifying yet necessary outlier.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #188 on: 10 May 2018, 19:06 »

The ones at my work are lifted from the outside pretty easily unless you loop the chain over a hook on the wall when you close it.
Now that you say that, I do remember the hook on the wall for securing the doors. It's been a while since I've worked on the receiving dock where we had them. Apparently Bubbles left in such a hurry she forgot to lock up.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #189 on: 10 May 2018, 19:16 »

Smart money would be on Tai, but Marten may still qualify as "babe". Emily and Claire are contenders, Hannelore has strong credentials but is on the wrong continent, and Pintsize forms the horrifying yet necessary outlier.
My money would be on Tai as well. I'm not sure Dora called Marten "babe" even when they were dating. She called him "cutie" and "sweetie" a lot, but I don't remember "babe".

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #190 on: 10 May 2018, 19:42 »

Onionvolcano

• Plantmonster
« Reply #191 on: 10 May 2018, 19:43 »

I like that there's a code three protocol in place.  It's good writing.  All the other characters, just to be good friends to Faye and Bubbles, would be ready to help when the Big Discovery finally happened. 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #192 on: 10 May 2018, 19:44 »

“Babe” really is more of a current partner term. And honestly, Emily doesn’t seem like the kind of person you would get romantic aid from, let alone dating advice. Likewise Claire, given her incredibly limited experience.

No, this seems more like a job for Tai.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #193 on: 10 May 2018, 19:45 »

Yeah, she's calling Tai. Thank goodness. Dora and Tai will make Bubbles feel so much better.

And I'm not sure if Bubbles is blushing from the unexpected physical contact or from thinkin bout Faye.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #194 on: 10 May 2018, 19:55 »

Yeah, she's calling Tai. Thank goodness. Dora and Tai will make Bubbles feel so much better.

And I'm not sure if Bubbles is blushing from the unexpected physical contact or from thinkin bout Faye.
I think she's blushing because she was not expecting tactical friendship - she's used to operational codes in the military, but not in civilian life. And maybe because she's embarrassed that she seems to be the only one surprised by these events.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #195 on: 10 May 2018, 20:09 »

I'm really happy Tai is coming. Tai is really good to have around in times like these.

Remember her tummy butterflies around Dora before they started dating? Yep, she's been there. And she knows what to do.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #196 on: 10 May 2018, 20:26 »

So, if they have an operation code for this situation, then the specific situation I assume they prepared for is one where the penny has dropped, one or both of them has freaked out, and they are now each on their own trying to work out what to do next.

So it would make sense to me that Tai's implicit mission here will be to find Faye, reassure her, and bring her to the shop. Whereas Dora will be able to reassure Bubbles in turn that all will be well.

In case you were wondering - no, Monday's comic has not yet dropped on Patreon.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #197 on: 10 May 2018, 21:34 »

I wonder about this. One of the ingredients of compatibility for human/human relationships is having similar backgrounds. Shared experiences and being from the same socio-economic class help no end. Love conquers all only occasionally.

It is easiest for people who have been in the service to relate to other veterans.

Bubbles as far as we know never had a childhood. There's one enormous difference in backgrounds right there.

Faye is not a veteran.

I hope they are one of the Love Conquers All situations.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #198 on: 10 May 2018, 21:43 »

I think it's clear from their previous discussions of deep emotional crap that they understand and relate to each other just fine. Faye talks about the day she couldn't remember her dad's voice, Bubbles talks about the faces of the other soldiers fading from her memory.

People don't need to have every last thing in common to be together.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #199 on: 10 May 2018, 21:48 »

I wonder about this. One of the ingredients of compatibility for human/human relationships is having similar backgrounds. Shared experiences and being from the same socio-economic class help no end. Love conquers all only occasionally.

It is easiest for people who have been in the service to relate to other veterans.

Bubbles as far as we know never had a childhood. There's one enormous difference in backgrounds right there.

Faye is not a veteran.

I hope they are one of the Love Conquers All situations.
Pretty much the only background factor they share is that they have both experienced terrible loss, and did not handle it in the best way.

That is not the best thing for two people to have in common. It makes it much harder for them to fully rely on anyone, and that can put strain on any relationship, but especially on a romantic one.

They have both made stellar progress in trusting each other, but they are presently staring down a HUGE step in their friendship.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up