THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If QC were adapted into a "kid friendly" animated series, how would you like to see the cast portrayed?

cartoony humans
anthropomorphic ducks
anthropomorphic dogs
anthropomorphic cats
anthropomorphic mice
anthropomorphic reptiles
an assortment of anthropomorphic animals
cutesy monsters

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)  (Read 92874 times)

ImVeryAngryItsNotButter

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 15 May 2018, 09:41 »

It's super nice that the Coffee of Doom staff set up a "Bubbles' Hair" sign for us to really draw attention to the significance of her letting it down.
Take a closer look, it says "Bubbles' Chair." The partial obstruction of the C could be Jeph drawing attention to it, but even if that isn't the case, the sign does still show how CoD sees Bubbles not just as a regular, but an important part of the community.

r/woooosh

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #101 on: 15 May 2018, 09:55 »

Why are there so many doubts regarding the voice coming from Faye or not? Bubbles should be able to recognize a voice easily and she wouldn't react that way if it wasn't Faye.
And no, a "I wasn't dead" companion from her unit does not compute at all. Sounds like awful soap opera. In that case it might as well be a soldier from her dead unit saying "And I have your son right here as well!".  :roll:

maxRNG

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #102 on: 15 May 2018, 10:31 »

It's super nice that the Coffee of Doom staff set up a "Bubbles' Hair" sign for us to really draw attention to the significance of her letting it down.
Take a closer look, it says "Bubbles' Chair." The partial obstruction of the C could be Jeph drawing attention to it, but even if that isn't the case, the sign does still show how CoD sees Bubbles not just as a regular, but an important part of the community.

r/woooosh
Wait, that was supposed to be sarcastic? Sorry, it's really hard to tell with just plain text.
"I need pancakes before I can process this."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #103 on: 15 May 2018, 10:40 »

What if sexual orientation turns out to be a software setting even if gender identity is not?

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #104 on: 15 May 2018, 10:51 »

New comic is uuuupppp!

And… huh. Dora gives good advice, Tai.

Also, Bubbles is looking utterly amazing today.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
« Reply #105 on: 15 May 2018, 10:51 »

A doubleheader today! Thanks, Jeph!

Carefully avoiding eye contact in panels two and four :-)
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #106 on: 15 May 2018, 11:02 »

Why are there so many doubts regarding the voice coming from Faye or not? Bubbles should be able to recognize a voice easily and she wouldn't react that way if it wasn't Faye.
And no, a "I wasn't dead" companion from her unit does not compute at all. Sounds like awful soap opera. In that case it might as well be a soldier from her dead unit saying "And I have your son right here as well!".  :roll:

Well...

I mean...

It *could* still be an ex soldier. Who has disguised themselves as Faye to get close to Bubbles...

And reveal her secret child...

And then the real Faye walks in and it's all "OMG" and "Which one is real??"...

... right?

(I'm with Tai. I'm not just counting sailors, I'm giving them all names and a backstory.)

tut21

• Plantmonster
« Reply #107 on: 15 May 2018, 11:18 »

Excellent use of background color, or the lack of it, to indicate how everything else in the world receded for a minute when Bubbles and Faye reunited. I'm glad it returned because I was starting to wonder if they were in the afterlife. :-)

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #108 on: 15 May 2018, 11:54 »

There she is!! https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/161181 also, step 2, 3, 4, and final: https://sambakza.newgrounds.com/movies/

=)

Meant to put this in this topic.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #109 on: 15 May 2018, 12:21 »

This is the most realistic outcome.  They’re both insecure and don’t want to make a scene so playing it cool even though they know their feelings for each other isn’t a secret anymore is the most we can expect for now.

AlliedToasters

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #110 on: 15 May 2018, 13:11 »

Long-time lurker here and I had to register today! What a development! I thought the unresolved Bubs-Faye thing was going to drag on for years to come! I guess it still can...
crummy and proud

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #111 on: 15 May 2018, 14:12 »

Poor Faye! She must have literally run all the way from Union Robotics to the apartment and then run all the way to Coffee of Doom (possibly with other stops in the middle including the Skate Park). If there is any proof needed that she wants and needs Bubbles in her life, it is that she was driven frantic by the thought of her being gone!

I do love panel 4. Poor Faye and Bubbles are so desperately trying to play it cool and play it casual but instead come across as two people catapulted out of a self-imposed closet by their own misjudgements (note the panic-stricken stares). Even then, they can't stop sending out 'we are a couple' vibes! No wonder Tai is coming over all nostalgic!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #112 on: 15 May 2018, 14:23 »

Welcome, sort of new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #113 on: 15 May 2018, 14:40 »

(I'm with Tai. I'm not just counting sailors, I'm giving them all names and a backstory.)
Meanwhile, I've been saying all along what Dora is saying now. The ship may be stocked with fuel and provisions, manned and ready, but it still hasn't sailed. At any point along the way, any number of things could have happened, and still can even now.

They both realize there's something there, but then when they're together, they avoid talking about it. And as long as they continue to avoid it, that ship is going to remain moored to the docks.

They may think it's safer to avoid it, rather than risk sinking the ship, but sooner or later, they're going to have to have that talk, or the ship will simply fall apart where it sits.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

SpanielBear

« Reply #114 on: 15 May 2018, 14:50 »

Meanwhile, I've been saying all along what Dora is saying now. The ship may be stocked with fuel and provisions, manned and ready, but it still hasn't sailed. At any point along the way, any number of things could have happened, and still can even now.

They both realize there's something there, but then when they're together, they avoid talking about it. And as long as they continue to avoid it, that ship is going to remain moored to the docks.

They may think it's safer to avoid it, rather than risk sinking the ship, but sooner or later, they're going to have to have that talk, or the ship will simply fall apart where it sits.

To be fair, one of them as only *just* realized it. But I agree a talk has to happen for anything nautical to occur.

Doesn't mean I can't sit on the dock wearing a little sailor hat and waving a flag.   :-D

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #115 on: 15 May 2018, 16:01 »

"I saw your armor and it was still in the closet" ...
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #116 on: 15 May 2018, 16:05 »

All the nautical metaphors are making me feel queasy.

(I stole this line from somewhere and now I can't remember where)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SpanielBear

« Reply #117 on: 15 May 2018, 16:12 »

If you like I can change tack, reef my sails and steer clear. I can see you racing off at a rate of knots. Perhaps it'd be better if you were three sheets to the wind?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #118 on: 15 May 2018, 16:37 »

:-D

Awwww

I'm not assuming this ship is setting sail until they talk. ;)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #119 on: 15 May 2018, 16:40 »

That'd be Jimbo.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #120 on: 15 May 2018, 16:49 »

I knew it wouldn't be long before someone came through with the answer. :)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

tut21

• Plantmonster
« Reply #121 on: 15 May 2018, 17:19 »

There she is!! https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/161181 also, step 2, 3, 4, and final: https://sambakza.newgrounds.com/movies/

=)

Meant to put this in this topic.

Thanks for this. I had somehow never been exposed that charming series. I watched all five.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #122 on: 15 May 2018, 17:26 »

I sensed that someone needed help and swooped to the rescue!

The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #123 on: 15 May 2018, 17:32 »

I'm loving Bubbles' hair in this strip. Great interaction too, I'm really excited to see more in this arc.

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #124 on: 15 May 2018, 18:28 »

I'm thinking talking is in the near future, but I'm glad it didn't happen in CoD. That's a very private and vulnerable talk to have.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #125 on: 15 May 2018, 18:37 »

There ya go

Nothing 'phorical about that one ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

BillGuy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #126 on: 15 May 2018, 19:00 »

One wrinkle is that 347 came from a time when Jeph was handling AnthroPCs completely differently from today and it may no longer be canon.

That's very true, and I did admit that other events suggest that Jeph was moving away from his initial stance on AI gender. But I think that the way he is developing AI characters and his approach to gender in general suggests to me that he would be moving towards a position more closely resembling gender essentialism rather than further from it. If Jeph treated gender as being something independent of the chassis even then, I cannot imagine he would do otherwise now, especially considering his marvelous handling of Claire and her relationship with her body.*

*I am thinking specifically of Claire and Marten's first night of sexual intimacy and Claire disrobing and saying "this is me". Jeph's decision to not reveal the status of her transition and subsequent refusal to do so is really powerful for me. It is a meaningful declaration that the particular shape of her body has nothing to do with her being a woman. I simply cannot believe he would do any different for Bubbles.

I think the real mark of change I think was when 'the singularity happened' in strip 1777. It seems to be after this there is a significant change in all AI's as a whole in the comic. Granted this is right before the Martin/Dora break-up so it's not till over a hundred strips later when we touch on it again, meet Clinton and AI civil rights is mentioned. In strip 1921 we do still have mention of PT410X and his obviously HORRIBLE 'owner' but by strip 1997 we have Momo getting her new chassis and BAM! the first humanoid AI's we've seen since Hanners's dad sent her the 'boyfriend.' After that it snowballs, strips 2068-2072 we see Clinton again and further the AI's story-line along further, strip 2085 brings Momo's reading the book 'AI Civil Rights: An Organic (can't make it out)', 2283-2285 Momo and Emily talk about companion AI relationship contracts, 2332 Momo and Pintsize talk compainionship.. Then the next strip Jeph gets revisionist and the AI workng the  'AnthroPC Companion Connections' place is a humanoid AI much like all the ones we see now..

I guess what I'm saying is, there was a point where things changed for AI's and they rapidly advanced in the QC verse and their sexuality is no different.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #127 on: 15 May 2018, 19:49 »

...strip 2085 brings Momo's reading the book 'AI Civil Rights: An Organic (can't make it out)'...
FWIW, I read that title as AI Civil Rights: An Ongoing Debate. I could be wrong, of course, since it is rather impossible to actually make out most of the letters, but it does make sense when you consider the opening paragraph of the full text on Jeph's tumblr post is
The subject of this debate is whether AIs are “people-” whether they possess the same degree of personhood as humans, and whether that entitles them to the same rights.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #128 on: 15 May 2018, 21:09 »

On the subject of the poll, there's a small(ish) species of bear in South America called the spectacled bear.

Perhaps Marbear could be one of those.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #129 on: 15 May 2018, 21:11 »

Yeah, I think they want to talk in private, not in front of Dora and Tai and whoever else walks into CoD.

Notice how Fay has her hand on Bubbles's arm as they leave? They know something's changed. But I bet they get the rest of their work done for the day before they start talking about it.

Either that, or they start trying to talk about it as soon as they get back to the shop, only to keep getting interrupted by more customers than they've had all month. Jeph does enjoy torturing his characters so...  :evil:

Spider

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #130 on: 15 May 2018, 21:19 »

Hello everyone! I'm Jordan. Sorry to rush past introductions but I've been waiting around for the last two weeks for the right moment to hop in here and gush about my feelings to all of you strangers.

When I started reading QC I was 12 years old and thought I was straight. I am now 20 years old and a lesbian. In a way it feels like the comic has grown up with me. As I became aware of more social issues, it seems that QC did as well.

Now there's a chance that Faye, the girl I grew up with, might also be realizing she's not straight. I couldn't be happier. I love Faye and Bubbles so much and the dynamic they share. I have felt what they are feeling- the dawning realization that the way you're acting around your friend isn't exactly platonic and what that might mean about you, and realizing you have feelings for your best friend but deciding you can never act on them for fear of ruining things. I know it very well.

So get me a captain's hat and call me a shipper, but I hope with all my heart that these two end up in a loving stable relationship together. I know that nothing is guaranteed at the moment but I'm staying optimistic here. So many femslash relationships have been teased and hinted at and have gotten my hopes up that eventually let me down, that at this point I'm numb to that sort of disappointment.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #131 on: 15 May 2018, 21:47 »

Welcome, new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #132 on: 15 May 2018, 22:08 »

How fitting for a physicist to cite that strip. Just don't expect anyone to start calling you "Science Fairy"  ;D

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #133 on: 15 May 2018, 23:01 »

How fitting for a physicist to cite that strip. Just don't expect anyone to start calling you "Science Fairy"  ;D

Don't listen to awgiedawgie, Science Fairy.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #134 on: 15 May 2018, 23:16 »

These last several days have been a difficult time to see the strip a day ahead and not talk about it.

Which is a lousy kvetch because it just means the strip has been suspenseful.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #135 on: 16 May 2018, 01:14 »

If Bubbles uploads into a hunky male firefighter-bot, would things go more smoothly?
Gawds no!  Poor Hanners would blow enough fuses to take down the power grid.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #136 on: 16 May 2018, 01:21 »

These last several days have been a difficult time to see the strip a day ahead and not talk about it.

TBH, I use the WCDTs a lot less since I started contributing to Jeph's Patreon, because the threads are always talking about a strip that's now old news, until Friday.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #137 on: 16 May 2018, 01:34 »

Can't wait for tomorrow.

I'm a bit hungry. Think I'll snack on some cereal.

efindumb

« Reply #138 on: 16 May 2018, 01:38 »

It explains the snippy attitudes about people speculating for fun and trying to consider the possibles instead of instantly agreeing with what others knew was coming...It also takes the fun out of discussing the strip especially for those of us who refuse to give Jeph money.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #139 on: 16 May 2018, 04:34 »

As IICIH explained, people who know what's coming don't talk about it. The snippy attitudes are for different reasons entirely.  :wink:

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #140 on: 16 May 2018, 05:08 »

Excellent use of background color, or the lack of it, to indicate how everything else in the world receded for a minute when Bubbles and Faye reunited. I'm glad it returned because I was starting to wonder if they were in the afterlife. :-)

And the subtle pink color/fuzziness that looks like we are literately looking through pink colored classes at this scene.
Would that hint to the way Bubbles and Faye are regarding each other, or the way Tai is looking at them as a ship..
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

AlliedToasters

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #141 on: 16 May 2018, 07:08 »

Welcome, sort of new person!

Thanks! It's great to be here INTERACTING with you beautiful people!

Hello everyone! I'm Jordan. Sorry to rush past introductions but I've been waiting around for the last two weeks for the right moment to hop in here and gush about my feelings to all of you strangers.

Welcome! I guess this has been an eventful enough week to stir up new activity and memberships on this forum! Thanks for sharing your story :)
crummy and proud

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #142 on: 16 May 2018, 07:18 »

Welcome, AlliedToasters!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Grumpy Old Man

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #143 on: 16 May 2018, 07:24 »

As much as I like seeing the two of them together, long term it's going to suck for Bubs.  Much like the lore about vampires the relationships between AI's and humans will have sad endings.  While the AIs are basically immortal just having to change hardware when it wears out they will have to watch all the humans they care about die of old age.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #144 on: 16 May 2018, 07:36 »

Welcome, new person!

You're insightful.

There's a Greek myth where a couple was hospitable to some travelers, so much so that the travelers revealed that they were gods, and thankful to the couple, and would grant them a couple of wishes of the it-will-turn-out-well type. They asked to build a temple to those gods, and for neither to outlive the other. They led a long and loving life, and at the end of it two trees emerged from their graves and intertwined their branches over the temple.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

AlliedToasters

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #145 on: 16 May 2018, 08:13 »

As much as I like seeing the two of them together, long term it's going to suck for Bubs.  Much like the lore about vampires the relationships between AI's and humans will have sad endings.  While the AIs are basically immortal just having to change hardware when it wears out they will have to watch all the humans they care about die of old age.

Welcome, new person!

You're insightful.

There's a Greek myth where a couple was hospitable to some travelers, so much so that the travelers revealed that they were gods, and thankful to the couple, and would grant them a couple of wishes of the it-will-turn-out-well type. They asked to build a temple to those gods, and for neither to outlive the other. They led a long and loving life, and at the end of it two trees emerged from their graves and intertwined their branches over the temple.

This just got super existential. I would just point out that, mortal or immortal, we don't generally let the possible endings for a relationship influence its beginnings. We mortals go into relationships knowing full well that they will end, and somebody almost always outlives another in the optimistic case that the relationship lasts that long. So, it's really not important. Carpe diem. If they can be happy today, let no unrealized possibilities stop them.

With that I would like to share this charming Faye/Bubbles moment from their early relationship:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3119

crummy and proud

SpanielBear

« Reply #146 on: 16 May 2018, 09:08 »

This just got super existential. I would just point out that, mortal or immortal, we don't generally let the possible endings for a relationship influence its beginnings. We mortals go into relationships knowing full well that they will end, and somebody almost always outlives another in the optimistic case that the relationship lasts that long. So, it's really not important. Carpe diem. If they can be happy today, let no unrealized possibilities stop them.

With that I would like to share this charming Faye/Bubbles moment from their early relationship:

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3119

Pretty much my thoughts on the subject. There are many reasons why a relationship may not be eternal, and comfort is hard to come by. Stupid to reject it while it's on offer.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #147 on: 16 May 2018, 10:06 »

It explains the snippy attitudes about people speculating for fun and trying to consider the possibles instead of instantly agreeing with what others knew was coming...It also takes the fun out of discussing the strip especially for those of us who refuse to give Jeph money.
Discussing the strip is still fun, because we don't talk about Patreon strips ahead of time. I know - I got rightfully berated for doing it once, and it wasn't even a high-suspense story like this one. But I went and looked at lots of cat gifs, and I felt better. If I had talked about this story a day ahead, I'd probably be hunted down and lynched. So I just discuss it as if I had not seen the next day's strip yet (and in many cases, I haven't).

TBH, I use the WCDTs a lot less since I started contributing to Jeph's Patreon, because the threads are always talking about a strip that's now old news, until Friday.
I still use the WCDTs more, because here it's more of an ongoing discussion (yeah, I know that's redundant, since that's what the 'D' is for), whereas the Patreon comments are more just reactions to that single strip. Here, there are a lot of people who don't see the Patreon strips, so for them, it's not old news.

nightshade

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #148 on: 16 May 2018, 10:19 »

We've been trolled off and on this whole week in the strips .....I mean on Monday or Tuesday he made it look like bubbles had no clue othan she thought she hurt Faye how with the last strip meant for us letting us know it still may or may not happen........and since jephs on vacation we'll get yelling bird for a while......

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up