THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 00:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If QC were adapted into a "kid friendly" animated series, how would you like to see the cast portrayed?

cartoony humans
anthropomorphic ducks
anthropomorphic dogs
anthropomorphic cats
anthropomorphic mice
anthropomorphic reptiles
an assortment of anthropomorphic animals
cutesy monsters

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)  (Read 92952 times)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
Re: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)
« Reply #150 on: 16 May 2018, 10:46 »

We've been trolled off and on this whole week in the strips .....I mean on Monday or Tuesday he made it look like bubbles had no clue othan she thought she hurt Faye how with the last strip meant for us letting us know it still may or may not happen........and since jephs on vacation we'll get yelling bird for a while......
My vote is for Melon. But then, my vote is always for Melon.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #151 on: 16 May 2018, 11:47 »

Not had a guest strip in a while, either...

blt

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #152 on: 16 May 2018, 12:00 »

I thought the top right panel looked familiar...
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

SpanielBear

« Reply #153 on: 16 May 2018, 12:05 »

Eh, I suppose it's no surprise that Google Glass can provide a shipping forecast...

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #154 on: 16 May 2018, 13:55 »

As much as I like seeing the two of them together, long term it's going to suck for Bubs.  Much like the lore about vampires the relationships between AI's and humans will have sad endings.  While the AIs are basically immortal just having to change hardware when it wears out they will have to watch all the humans they care about die of old age.

We absolutely do not know this. Self aware AIs in this universe are a relatively new phenomenon. Momo I think is what, 3 or 4 years old? 'Old' AIs are less than 20, for sure. So it's impossible to know yet what the normal lifespan of an AI would be. It's certainly possible for an AI to switch bodies when their old ones become damaged, but we don't know about their mind and core programming. The part of them that makes them what they are. Their AI cores are removable and can be placed in a new body, but what happens if that core itself is damaged? Will continual use cause the personality core to wear out? Computer hard drives eventually fail. Would that happening to the core be like Alzheimer's for AIs? As it becomes difficult to make the same connections when memory sectors become to damaged to be read? Could an AI be transferred to another core, or is part of their personality determined by the specific physical architecture of the core they inhabit? Can an AI be copied? It's the transporter question, is the copy the actual person, or is it a clone? Did you just murder someone to make a new copy? What if you made a copy but didn't destroy the original?

There are so many questions about AIs that we simply don't know and in the contexts of the story don't actually matter. An AI in this universe is a person. Not a human, but a person all the same. They could have a very long lifetime, or it could be very short compared to humans. Or comparable. We don't know. They don't know in universe yet because it's not been long enough yet.

NyxDarkness

• Plantmonster
« Reply #155 on: 16 May 2018, 15:11 »

I rarely post here, but would just like to say... I've been shipping them for two years, and it's finally becoming a reality! I even kinda got chewed out for shipping, but I was right!

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #156 on: 16 May 2018, 15:58 »

Well, then.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #157 on: 16 May 2018, 16:03 »

Goddamnit, my cardiologist says I'm not supposed to have this many feels.

SpanielBear

« Reply #158 on: 16 May 2018, 16:06 »

COMIC!!!!!!!!!

It's all I ever wanted.  :-)

Here is a video representation of the forum over the next few hours:

« Last Edit: 16 May 2018, 16:17 by SpanielBear »

maxRNG

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #159 on: 16 May 2018, 16:09 »

Okay so much like Dale and Marigold's first kiss, we all knew this was coming eventually, but the real thing just felt abrupt. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it happened, but it almost feels unrealistic. I don't doubt that both of them wanted it to happen asap, but I'm not convinced that Bubbles is convinced Faye likes her back. To be fair, we don't know how much of Bubbles' monologue (#3742) Faye heard, but under the assumption she heard nothing and made herself known immediately (which is what I got on my first readthrough), this is a bit too spontaneous to be in character. That being said, if Faye heard Bubs' confession and Bubs knows that Faye heard her confession (which may very well be the case), this would make a lot more sense.

Still glad it happened, for the record.
"I need pancakes before I can process this."

SpanielBear

« Reply #160 on: 16 May 2018, 16:12 »

Okay so much like Dale and Marigold's first kiss, we all knew this was coming eventually, but the real thing just felt abrupt. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it happened, but it almost feels unrealistic. I don't doubt that both of them wanted it to happen asap, but I'm not convinced that Bubbles is convinced Faye likes her back. To be fair, we don't know how much of Bubbles' monologue (#3742) Faye heard, but under the assumption she heard nothing and made herself known immediately (which is what I got on my first readthrough), this is a bit too spontaneous to be in character. That being said, if Faye heard Bubs' confession and Bubs knows that Faye heard her confession (which may very well be the case), this would make a lot more sense.

Shhh Shhh Shhh Shhhhhhh...

There's a glow.

Glowing is occuring.

Bask in it.

(P.S. I respect your opinion and think it's valid, even if I do not share it.)

BillGuy

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #161 on: 16 May 2018, 16:15 »

...strip 2085 brings Momo's reading the book 'AI Civil Rights: An Organic (can't make it out)'...
FWIW, I read that title as AI Civil Rights: An Ongoing Debate. I could be wrong, of course, since it is rather impossible to actually make out most of the letters, but it does make sense when you consider the opening paragraph of the full text on Jeph's tumblr post is
The subject of this debate is whether AIs are “people-” whether they possess the same degree of personhood as humans, and whether that entitles them to the same rights.
Yeah, after closer look at panel 5 and reading that Tumblr post I'm inclined to agree!

After doing that post I suddenly desire to create a way to read QC but with only AI's featured as to parse out the AI storyline apart from the the rest of the cast.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #162 on: 16 May 2018, 16:17 »

It felt pretty spot on to me.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #163 on: 16 May 2018, 16:24 »

To anyone who feels this is too sudden, this is like a years worth of buried and unrecognized feelings all exploding out at once, the suddenness makes sense.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #165 on: 16 May 2018, 16:36 »

So now's the time to post reaction videos, right?
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

stixanstones

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #166 on: 16 May 2018, 16:37 »

Nope, I don't believe it.  Someone is daydreaming ever since the "THERE you are!" scene.  It's too easy!

maxRNG

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #167 on: 16 May 2018, 16:54 »

Shhh Shhh Shhh Shhhhhhh...

There's a glow.

Glowing is occuring.

Bask in it.

(P.S. I respect your opinion and think it's valid, even if I do not share it.)

Ok fine, I'm totally happy enjoying the moment I just needed to get that off of my chest first. Also, can we get that P.S. attached to the Internet as a whole? That could solve a lot of problems...

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #168 on: 16 May 2018, 16:54 »

Nope, I don't believe it.  Someone is daydreaming ever since the "THERE you are!" scene.  It's too easy!

Their dialogues are too consistent with how they're both feeling. If there's a daydream, it would only be the last panel.

OOH! Maybe this last panel is Bubbles' fantasy. The first panel for Friday's comic will reveal the fantasy, the next will reveal Faye is having the same fantasy. The rest of the page will be them studiously avoiding saying what they're thinking, ending with them in the same holding pattern as before.

There will be a caption under the comic that says "see you monday!"

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #169 on: 16 May 2018, 16:56 »

ToodleLew

• Plantmonster
  • Old fart - stay upwind.
« Reply #170 on: 16 May 2018, 17:01 »

Awwwwwwwww   :-)
"Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together."
Red Green, The Red Green Show

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #171 on: 16 May 2018, 17:10 »

Well....
That escalated quickly!  :)  I expected hugs!
Now.. the only concern is that weird lighting effect which started with Bubbles in CoD...

But surely Jeph wouldn't be trolling us with a "dream sequence"...?

(I do kinda agree with some above though,  that it seems a little rushed re: the way the dialogue plays out.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #172 on: 16 May 2018, 17:26 »

Uh-oh. Both Marten and Faye are now in relationships at the same time. The QC Exclusion Principle has been violated. We are in uncharted territory.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

maxRNG

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #173 on: 16 May 2018, 17:32 »

Uh-oh. Both Marten and Faye are now in relationships at the same time. The QC Exclusion Principle has been violated. We are in uncharted territory.

Not quite uncharted...Marty x Claire was a thing before Faye and Angus broke up. That being said, that situation ended really damn quickly, so let's hope history doesn't repeat itself.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #174 on: 16 May 2018, 17:45 »

I maintain that there will be enough interesting about an AI/human relationship (between two well-developed characters, no less) that Jeph could tell a good story without them having to break up.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #175 on: 16 May 2018, 17:47 »

Yay! Fables is here! :D

I really love the direction the dialog moves, but I have to agree the kiss feels a little fast. This could be remedied by adding a panel before the final one where they look into one another's faces before they smooch. Of course, they have been building this up for 2 years so maybe spontaneity is appropriate?

I'm more curious where things go from here. These two have such an interesting chemistry.

I kind of feel like it could become a Pinocchio-type story where Bubbles works on becoming more human—not just emotionally—but her body as well with another appearance of Creepy Bot enabling her into a new body that is indistinguishable from organic people. Of course, if she stays as is, that could be amazing, too. Whatever direction this moves, I could see it leading to (further) interesting symbolism and commentary on society and human nature as sometimes touched upon in SciFi romance stories (O'Human Star comes to mind—another fine webcomic).

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #176 on: 16 May 2018, 17:50 »

YAAAAAAAYYYY!

wlewisiii

« Reply #177 on: 16 May 2018, 18:31 »

Good. That's all I need to say.
Emily is the Avatar.

wlewisiii

« Reply #178 on: 16 May 2018, 18:37 »

I kind of feel like it could become a Pinocchio-type story where Bubbles works on becoming more human—not just emotionally—but her body as well with another appearance of Creepy Bot enabling her into a new body that is indistinguishable from organic people. Of course, if she stays as is, that could be amazing, too. Whatever direction this moves, I could see it leading to (further) interesting symbolism and commentary on society and human nature as sometimes touched upon in SciFi romance stories (O'Human Star comes to mind—another fine webcomic).

Hmm. Or perhaps more like "San Junipero" from Black Mirror? I'd find it plausible in the world of QC.
Emily is the Avatar.

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #179 on: 16 May 2018, 18:43 »

COMIC!!!!!!!!!

It's all I ever wanted.  :-)

Here is a video representation of the forum over the next few hours:

I've seen that performance  before, and it always brings me back to primary school, more than twenty years ago, when my music teacher used to play it (Beethoven's 9th) on the piano, and we sang a Bulgarian translation (quite good, by the way) of the relevant parts of Schiller's Ode to Joy. I still know it by heart. I think in that clip they might be singing the new improvised Latin lyrics, but it's a bit too loud to discern.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2018, 19:16 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #180 on: 16 May 2018, 18:46 »

I maintain that there will be enough interesting about an AI/human relationship (between two well-developed characters, no less) that Jeph could tell a good story without them having to break up.

I don't understand the persistence of the idea that a healthy couple cannot be the center of good stories without some gimmick involved or the threat of breakup stress/drama.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #181 on: 16 May 2018, 18:51 »

...strip 2085 brings Momo's reading the book 'AI Civil Rights: An Organic (can't make it out)'...
FWIW, I read that title as AI Civil Rights: An Ongoing Debate. I could be wrong, of course, since it is rather impossible to actually make out most of the letters, but it does make sense when you consider the opening paragraph of the full text on Jeph's tumblr post is
The subject of this debate is whether AIs are “people-” whether they possess the same degree of personhood as humans, and whether that entitles them to the same rights.
Yeah, after closer look at panel 5 and reading that Tumblr post I'm inclined to agree!

After doing that post I suddenly desire to create a way to read QC but with only AI's featured as to parse out the AI storyline apart from the the rest of the cast.
It would be impossible to parse the AI story separate from the humans. Their stories are so deeply intertwined that you could not separate them without dramatically changing the story. The most you could do would be a POV kind of monologue, such as Momo and May did earlier. But even that must necessarily include the humans, because the humans and AIs are so much a part of each other's lives.

DaiJB

• Utterly clueless.
« Reply #182 on: 16 May 2018, 19:05 »

We've been informed that robot skin feels remarkably life-like...
So - what do robot lips taste like?  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #183 on: 16 May 2018, 19:06 »

I kind of feel like it could become a Pinocchio-type story where Bubbles works on becoming more human—not just emotionally—but her body as well with another appearance of Creepy Bot enabling her into a new body that is indistinguishable from organic people.
Frankly, I don't see that happening. Bubbles and Faye have discovered their feelings for each other with Bubbles in her current body. I feel that it would be counterproductive - possibly even disastrous - for her to try to change that now.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #184 on: 16 May 2018, 19:07 »

We've been informed that robot skin feels remarkably life-like...
So - what do robot lips taste like?  ;D
Tastes like chicken.  ;D

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #185 on: 16 May 2018, 19:10 »

I kind of feel like it could become a Pinocchio-type story where Bubbles works on becoming more human—not just emotionally—but her body as well with another appearance of Creepy Bot enabling her into a new body that is indistinguishable from organic people.
Frankly, I don't see that happening. Bubbles and Faye have discovered their feelings for each other with Bubbles in her current body. I feel that it would be counterproductive - possibly even disastrous - for her to try to change that now.

Maybe it could be the other way around.  Maybe Faye would experiment with a human to robot mind transfer. 

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #186 on: 16 May 2018, 19:16 »

500 PAGES BY MIDDAY!!!
What the hell are YOU staring at?

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #187 on: 16 May 2018, 19:18 »

As much as I like seeing the two of them together, long term it's going to suck for Bubs.  Much like the lore about vampires the relationships between AI's and humans will have sad endings.  While the AIs are basically immortal just having to change hardware when it wears out they will have to watch all the humans they care about die of old age.

We absolutely do not know this. Self aware AIs in this universe are a relatively new phenomenon. Momo I think is what, 3 or 4 years old? 'Old' AIs are less than 20, for sure. So it's impossible to know yet what the normal lifespan of an AI would be. It's certainly possible for an AI to switch bodies when their old ones become damaged, but we don't know about their mind and core programming. The part of them that makes them what they are. Their AI cores are removable and can be placed in a new body, but what happens if that core itself is damaged? Will continual use cause the personality core to wear out? Computer hard drives eventually fail. Would that happening to the core be like Alzheimer's for AIs? As it becomes difficult to make the same connections when memory sectors become to damaged to be read? Could an AI be transferred to another core, or is part of their personality determined by the specific physical architecture of the core they inhabit? Can an AI be copied? It's the transporter question, is the copy the actual person, or is it a clone? Did you just murder someone to make a new copy? What if you made a copy but didn't destroy the original?

There are so many questions about AIs that we simply don't know and in the contexts of the story don't actually matter. An AI in this universe is a person. Not a human, but a person all the same. They could have a very long lifetime, or it could be very short compared to humans. Or comparable. We don't know. They don't know in universe yet because it's not been long enough yet.

This. Technology becomes obsolete quicker than a person reaches old age. I would argue that the AI becomes outdated and eventually "dies"

until they improve the technology

Hypersapien

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #188 on: 16 May 2018, 19:19 »

Firstly, SQUEEEEEE!

Secondly, huh. That was oddly bereft of complications.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #189 on: 16 May 2018, 19:29 »

Sudden? Sure. Unrealistic? Maybe. Am I a sucker for these types of kisses in stories because I am a sappy twelve year old girl at heart? Absolutely. This is cute as hell.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #190 on: 16 May 2018, 19:35 »

As long as this is delaying a proper conversation, not replacing it, then woooooooooo!

If it's replacing a proper conversation, though... I'm not gonna be happy.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #191 on: 16 May 2018, 19:46 »

What would you like to see them discuss?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #192 on: 16 May 2018, 20:02 »

Sudden? Sure. Unrealistic? Maybe. Am I a sucker for these types of kisses in stories because I am a sappy twelve year old girl at heart? Absolutely. This is cute as hell.
Sudden? No. Why do people think it's sudden? It has been nearly three years (34 months, our time) since Faye first met Bubbles, and 10 months since Bubbles gave her augury "I would rather you not make light of the affection I feel for you-". They have been slowly building to this moment ever since.

Unrealistic? No. Even if we can't conceive this happening in our own universe, Jeph has done a remarkable job of making it seem very realistic.

Am I also a sucker for sappy love stories? Oh, yeah!

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #193 on: 16 May 2018, 20:08 »

Oh my god after YEARS! Yessssssss!!!!!!!!!!!

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #194 on: 16 May 2018, 20:15 »

Well....
That escalated quickly!  :)  I expected hugs!
Now.. the only concern is that weird lighting effect which started with Bubbles in CoD...

But surely Jeph wouldn't be trolling us with a "dream sequence"...?

(I do kinda agree with some above though,  that it seems a little rushed re: the way the dialogue plays out.

I think the only thing missing is that 15.3 seconds of staring before suddenly KISS, and it'd have sold to everyone. I think that was the intention, but maybe Jeph didn't want one more panel?

OH WHO CARES!? THE SHIP HAS ARRIVED! TAKE ME AWAY!!!!!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #195 on: 16 May 2018, 20:19 »

Dammit, where are my hundreds more strips of muleheadedness?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #196 on: 16 May 2018, 20:21 »

Well, then.

Nice understatement there, physics guy.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

greyhairedkid

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #197 on: 16 May 2018, 20:26 »

... It has been nearly three years (34 months, our time) since Faye first met Bubbles, and 10 months since Bubbles gave her augury "I would rather you not make light of the affection I feel for you-". They have been slowly building to this moment ever since.

Found the augury in #3523.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #198 on: 16 May 2018, 20:34 »

Go for it, you crazy fucked-up kids!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #199 on: 16 May 2018, 20:37 »

This. Technology becomes obsolete quicker than a person reaches old age. I would argue that the AI becomes outdated and eventually "dies"

until they improve the technology

Which raises another interesting question. Are updates a civil right?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10   Go Up