THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If QC were adapted into a "kid friendly" animated series, how would you like to see the cast portrayed?

cartoony humans
anthropomorphic ducks
anthropomorphic dogs
anthropomorphic cats
anthropomorphic mice
anthropomorphic reptiles
an assortment of anthropomorphic animals
cutesy monsters

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)  (Read 92845 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)
« Reply #300 on: 17 May 2018, 19:39 »

More seriously: I hope they don't now slide into the background, as Marten and Claire seem to have done.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #301 on: 17 May 2018, 19:39 »

Working on their sex techniques. That IS work!
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Onionvolcano

• Plantmonster
« Reply #302 on: 17 May 2018, 19:44 »

I thought this whole thing was very well-written and well-drawn.  I also am curious regarding robot saliva.  Is it refillable, like windshield wiper fluid?

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #303 on: 17 May 2018, 19:51 »

More seriously: I hope they don't now slide into the background, as Marten and Claire seem to have done.

The other option, now that the vast majority of the main cast is in relationships (can we call faye/bubbles a relationship yet?), is that the strip will slide towards telling stories about the difficulties the various couples face. I've said before that I think faye and bubbles are interesting enough that they could spearhead that tone shift, though I don't think I worded it quite right.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #304 on: 17 May 2018, 19:58 »

Working on their sex techniques. That IS work!

Now, knowing this forum, there's probably going to be some commentary about this about how it doesn't have to immediately lead to sex, that there's still important conversations to have first, that this comment is crass...

... but that third panel leg-lock-meets-butt-groping has extreme sexual tension written all over it, and Faye's pretty well-established as an extremely sexual character who Bubbles has repeatedly shown a lot of physical attraction to. I, personally, look forward to seeing Bubbles doing the robot for her booty dance
oh god

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #305 on: 17 May 2018, 20:02 »

"Your place or mine?"

This actually brings up a very good point.  Bubs and Faye are already living together.  That makes any sort of relationship immediately serious.

When roommates get romantic a few courtship steps are automatically skipped... steps that can help build the foundation of the early relationship.  Sure, being roommates they already know a lot of each other's idiosyncrasies, but that's no replacement for the initial courtship phase.

Basically, once the initial dopamine surge wears off they will find themselves already thrust into a very deep situation.  They are living together, managing a business together, laboring side-by-side at said business, are good friends AND are now romantically involved.  That's a hell of a lot of pressure on every aspect of their lives while they're trying to sort through their feelings.

Not that they can't cope with it all... but it's a lot to think about. :psyduck:
Thank you. That helps resolve some reticence I had over the resolution. I was feeling that it was too quick (drama- and pacing-wise) to go directly to a sexual relationship, but I was ignoring the fact that they already share a great deal of intimacy. That makes the perceived lack courtship time feel much less of a missed beat. (I think there's a triple negative in that last sentence, but hopefully it made sense.)

ChipNoir

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #306 on: 17 May 2018, 20:10 »

Monday's strip is Faye eating cereal.  While wearing Bubbles' armor.

That or in the hospital in traction, and we're unsure if the blissful state she's in is afterglow or morphine. x_x

I really do hope the best for them.

Uniquitous

• Plantmonster
« Reply #307 on: 17 May 2018, 20:30 »

Can you swap spit with a robot? Is there synthetic spit to swap? What does it taste like?? 

Regardless FUCK YEAH FAYBLES!!!

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #308 on: 17 May 2018, 20:31 »

I just want to say the number of new members here in the past couple of days is very impressive.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #309 on: 17 May 2018, 20:44 »

I just want to say the number of new members here in the past couple of days is very impressive.
Apparently, there was a lot of emotional investment in this storyline. :)

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #310 on: 17 May 2018, 20:58 »

Wow!
I think some fans need a cigarette right now!  :-D

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #311 on: 17 May 2018, 21:08 »

If Faye is having a coma dream, I'm going to laugh.
No offense to the shippers that would cause aneurysms for. :-D
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #312 on: 17 May 2018, 21:17 »

I, personally, look forward to seeing Bubbles doing the robot for her booty dance

Yes, bring forth the Booty Dance Of The Automaton!
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #313 on: 17 May 2018, 21:24 »

Jeph is trolling us.  Bubbles is going to wake up in her chair tomorrow.

I really really really hope this isn't some dreamscape or tea-induced hallucination and that Jeph is not totally trolling us with this. It's just...too much. Please let it be real.

If this is a fantasy or dream, it’s Faye’s. Bubbles is way too polite and reserved to fantasize or dream like this!

If Faye is having a coma dream, I'm going to laugh.
No offense to the shippers that would cause aneurysms for. :-D

I started this storyline hoping they would stay friends, and even I find all of this a little perverse. Jeph has put some twists into his comic, but I don't think he's keen on commercial suicide.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

LilShortstuf

• Not quite a lurker
  • Shenanigans
« Reply #314 on: 17 May 2018, 21:39 »

The comics talking about how Pintsize called Faye going for a lady robot reminded me of another character predicting Faybles. At the party where Faye almost lost her head, May was very insistent that they would bone down. She asked for pics of Bubbles out of her armor which she's seen now. The next strip she asks for "fuck-pics." I wonder what her reaction will be when she finds out.

Pics out of armor: http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3075

"Fuck-pics": http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3076

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #315 on: 17 May 2018, 21:43 »

I wonder if May will remind her.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #316 on: 17 May 2018, 22:59 »

I'm sorry, I was on board with the Bubbles & Faye thing up until today, but I just can't suspend my disbelief any more:

Glasses can't fly, people.

Comic ruined forever, gg no re.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Spider

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #317 on: 17 May 2018, 23:16 »

I'd like to imagine that the force of Bubble's picking Faye up and Faye lunging for Bubble's lips that she smacked her head so hard against Bubble's that her glasses flew right off.

Later we'll see her with bloody nose and a massive headache.

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #318 on: 17 May 2018, 23:20 »

You know who we haven't seen in a while?

The bros

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #319 on: 17 May 2018, 23:22 »

So, I'm thinking that when, maybe 24 hours from now, Faye and Bubbles re-emerge from their bedroom, blinking in the unexpected light, there will be banner reading 'Happy Arbour Day' hanging from the ceiling in the lounge and that Marten, Claire and Pintsize will be wearing party hats. This is going to be partly due to Marten knowing Faye well enough to know what decision she would make and partly because they've heard the highlights.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that we'll be going onto something different (possibly new) plot arc next week. However, I expect Jeph to take delight during this in occasionally showing Faye and Bubbles doing 'couple' stuff together in the background.

On various forums, people have been asking how Bubbles knows how to kiss. The answer is, of course, that she's lived around humans for a while so she's picked up the basics. However, I'm also pretty sure that she's been doing research; just in case, you understand! :wink:

One last thing: Some people on Patreon and the Subreddits are asking what kissing a robot is like. The point is that Faye isn't kissing a robot. She's kissing her girlfriend who just happens to be a robot. That has a tendency to affect the perception of the act from whatever it might objectively be to 'wonderful'. :-)
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #320 on: 17 May 2018, 23:26 »

Yeah this E.D.I/FemShep fanfic turned out much better than expected

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #321 on: 17 May 2018, 23:33 »

Panel 1 reminds me of Dora and Tai's first kiss - the one where they stand around going "Wow. Yeah. Um" etc and then we see Faye and Hanners talking and Faye says "I hope that's not how kissing usually works because otherwise I've been doing it wrong"

Edit: Found it - http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2247
« Last Edit: 17 May 2018, 23:40 by jesslc »

blt

« Reply #322 on: 17 May 2018, 23:49 »

It's probably like licking a 9V battery.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #323 on: 17 May 2018, 23:49 »

"Figure things out". So that's what the kids are calling it these days.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #324 on: 18 May 2018, 00:27 »

The 'how does Bubbles know how to kiss' question is kind of ridiculous. How do humans know how to kiss? How do animals know how to fuck?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #325 on: 18 May 2018, 00:35 »

The 'how does Bubbles know how to kiss' question is kind of ridiculous. How do humans know how to kiss? How do animals know how to fuck?

How do humans know how to kiss? Ideally, the same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

Practice, practice, practice.

namelips

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #326 on: 18 May 2018, 00:55 »

While I'm DAWWWWWing all over the place...

...I do worry that we're slowly losing all sources of dramatic conflict in the story. Everybody is getting happily coupled. There are no problems or crises facing the gang.

Something needs to be introduced, some sort of complication or problem that needs solving.

The way all the loose threads are being tied up makes me worried that the comic is winding down. Everybody is getting their happy ending.

Maybe something will happen with Hannelore?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #327 on: 18 May 2018, 01:00 »

I'm sorry, I was on board with the Bubbles & Faye thing up until today, but I just can't suspend my disbelief any more:

Glasses can't fly, people.

Comic ruined forever, gg no re.

They're falling with style.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #328 on: 18 May 2018, 01:24 »

While I'm DAWWWWWing all over the place...

...I do worry that we're slowly losing all sources of dramatic conflict in the story. Everybody is getting happily coupled. There are no problems or crises facing the gang.

Dramatic conflict does not have to be based around UST and coupling. It can involve careers, family, health, even artistic disagreements (Dora and Marten famously disagreed on whether a band... Toto I think... were any good).
~~~~

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #329 on: 18 May 2018, 01:30 »

I don't really know how kisses work. My partner neither, so it's fine, but we don't really have instinctual knowledge how to do that.

Anyway, I'm feeling that soon we'll see Claire and Marten coming home to a boot on Faye's door, followed by collective squeeing, triggering Bubbles' Claire Threat Evaluation Protocol.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #330 on: 18 May 2018, 01:48 »

like i dunno have you considered that maybe you're misunderstanding your feelings, mistakenly attributing it to 'suddenness' when it's something else? Seriously. No (well, little) judgment here. We all misunderstand our feelings sometimes.

just since it happens every time, and i'm fairly certain it's not a technical fault in Jeph's craftsmanship (he's been doing it for almost two decades he's decent at it), I'm of the suspicion that it would feel 'sudden' no matter how long it took.

I don't accuse any of you of lying about your feelings. Just of failing to understand them.

:) Pretty bold statement... !
But have you considered that maybe you're misunderstanding other people's feelings?

Like... personally, my feeling of *it being rushed* was for that single strip alone.
I don't think anyone could have been meaning "across the strip" this has been rushed... it's been AGES!

I think only that (as others have also said) it felt like maybe *one* additional panel would have made all the difference.

It's just come to me.... It's not an exact parallel, but the effect is close to what I mean:
Rizzo and Kenikie in the back seat of the soon to be Greased Lightning.
They get to a certain point, then they have to stop due to... an aged prophylactic malfunction...
There are a few beats of 'Doh', then they jump on each other after a short "What the hell!"

Similarly here, I would have expected a few seconds of (Just one frame) of.."Umm..." and then Lip Lock.
A tiny tiny subtlety... nothing else...

« Last Edit: 18 May 2018, 02:06 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

gopher

« Reply #331 on: 18 May 2018, 01:50 »

Yay, happy characters. Worried they get put in the happy couple box, like nearly all successful couple in QC, and be ignored. It seems too many characters win condition is "Be in a couple". At least Angus did something different.

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #332 on: 18 May 2018, 02:04 »

Yay, happy characters. Worried they get put in the happy couple box, like nearly all successful couple in QC, and be ignored. It seems too many characters win condition is "Be in a couple". At least Angus did something different.

One of my long standing complaints was Jeph continuously putting characters in toxic/negative relationships. Actual healthy relationships seem to be a more recent development

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #333 on: 18 May 2018, 02:08 »

Well, I was never a Faye/Bubbles shipper (I try not to be a shipper at all!)

But today's strip...

Grud-DAMN !   :psyduck:
Covenant

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #334 on: 18 May 2018, 02:15 »

I was fully expecting at least 1 troll strip of Steve eating cereal

Did not get.

Was disappointed

Oblixio

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #335 on: 18 May 2018, 02:27 »

Next big one needs to be Marten proposing. It's time his character grew into it. :claireface:

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #336 on: 18 May 2018, 02:36 »

Similarly here, I would have expected a few seconds of (Just one frame) of.."Umm..." and then Lip Lock.
Whereas I automatically inferred that pause - if for nothing else but for them to process what they just said in that penultimate panel, in relation to what they're feeling - so it didn't matter that I didn't see it. Nothing seemed rushed or sudden to me. The entire scene is already animated in my head. I don't need everything animated on the page.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #337 on: 18 May 2018, 02:41 »

Whereas I automatically inferred that pause - if for nothing else but for them to process what they just said in that penultimate panel, in relation to what they're feeling - so it didn't matter that I didn't see it. Nothing seemed rushed or sudden to me. The entire scene is already animated in my head. I don't need everything animated on the page.

There has been a deliberate and obvious slow burn for well over a year.

How much longer did people want it to go on? An entire weeks' worth of comic to them just awkwardly standing in the shop "um-ing" at each other?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #338 on: 18 May 2018, 02:52 »

The thing that people need to realise to understand this turn of events is to understand that it isn't the backrub. The backrub is what told Faye that she felt physical attraction to Bubbles, but the key events were panel 1 in Strip 3743 and panels 3 & 4 in Strip 3744. Faye had run across town, frantic at the thought that Bubbles had been offended by her in some way and had left. Later, Faye was moved to tears just by recalling that fear and the thought of Bubbles no longer being in her life.

It's at that moment that Bubbles says the thing that the key to Faye's heart: "I would never leave unless you asked me to." - Faye's greatest fear in relationships is someone leaving her after she has let them into her heart; Bubbles has just sworn never to do so.

Then Faye says the thing that's the key to Bubbles' heart: "I would never ask you to." - Faye was not going to reject or ostracise Bubbles because of who and what she is.

It was, in many ways, as touching a declaration of of mutual love and commitment as could be imagined for those two. They're both vulnerable and have been rejected, betrayed or abandoned too many times. They've just found someone who has promised (in a believable way) that they will not do that to them.
~~~~

Tempus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #339 on: 18 May 2018, 03:06 »

Another person here registering purely to be able to yell YAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

And damn some people here seem to take a fun webcomic super seriously :/

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #340 on: 18 May 2018, 03:17 »

:) But that's my exact point.
You say yourself that you felt it *needed* that pause.
The only difference being that you just didn't need to *see* it.
But isn't it groovy that we're all differrent and may see things a little differently?

I felt that moment's pause, a tension if you would, was... needed is a bit strong a word... let's just say, required.

So - why do I disagree with your last sentence?
Mainly because animation is one thing. A Comic Strip is another.
(Unless it's a motion comic, some of which look great and some are awful!) :)

You see, to my mind, two of the absolutely greatest Comic Strip writers the world has ever seen (Schulz and Watterson) deliberately included such pauses as I mention above for precisely those reasons.

Maybe that's the rub, maybe my expectation of great comic writing includes using those kinds of pauses - and, as I have said MANY times before, Jeph is at his absolute best when writing for Bubbles...

How much longer did people want it to go on? An entire weeks' worth of comic to them just awkwardly standing in the shop "um-ing" at each other?

I think the point was made fairly clearly above... "(Just one frame)... A tiny tiny subtlety... nothing else..."
(and I just had a quick look above... another poster said exactly that as well.. one frame...)
I don't mind you disagreeing with me... just don't put words into my mouth.  :-)
Covenant

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #341 on: 18 May 2018, 03:20 »

Another person here registering purely to be able to yell YAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

And damn some people here seem to take a fun webcomic super seriously :/

...ohhh, you have NO idea how seriously some people take it !  :)
I would STRONGLY advise reading the "Sticky" posts on the main topic boards...
(If you haven;t already done so!)
Covenant

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #342 on: 18 May 2018, 03:30 »

:) But that's my exact point.
You say yourself that you felt it *needed* that pause.
The only difference being that you just didn't need to *see* it.
But isn't it groovy that we're all differrent and may see things a little differently?

I felt that moment's pause, a tension if you would, was... needed is a bit strong a word... let's just say, required.

So - why do I disagree with your last sentence?
Mainly because animation is one thing. A Comic Strip is another.
(Unless it's a motion comic, some of which look great and some are awful!) :)

You see, to my mind, two of the absolutely greatest Comic Strip writers the world has ever seen (Schulz and Watterson) deliberately included such pauses as I mention above for precisely those reasons.

Maybe that's the rub, maybe my expectation of great comic writing includes using those kinds of pauses - and, as I have said MANY times before, Jeph is at his absolute best when writing for Bubbles...

I think the point was made fairly clearly above... "(Just one frame)... A tiny tiny subtlety... nothing else..."
(and I just had a quick look above... another poster said exactly that as well.. one frame...)
I don't mind you disagreeing with me... just don't put words into my mouth.  :-)

I wasn't strictly disagreeing with you. Rather I'm sort of incredulous at the idea that some people have that this conclusion was "rushed" or something.

Also, I agree completely with you on the point of Watterson and Schultz.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #343 on: 18 May 2018, 03:42 »

I, personally, look forward to seeing Bubbles doing the robot for her booty dance

But it's Faye's job to do the robot.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #344 on: 18 May 2018, 03:57 »

Gentle reminder that Raven got her happy ending without being put in a couple.

Gentle reminder that Jeph patiently made several new characters and plotlines over the last year to play with.

Gentle reminder that the comic's been going like 15 years so y'know it's FINE if it ends.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #345 on: 18 May 2018, 04:26 »

Do we really know that it was a happy ending? She went back to school, yes, but somehow it still feels like there is a lot of story to tell about Raven once she returns to real life outside the educational system.

Gentle reminder that Jeph patiently made several new characters and plotlines over the last year to play with.
Which is great way to keep the comic fresh, but it also makes me sad to not see more of established characters.

Gentle reminder that the comic's been going like 15 years so y'know it's FINE if it ends.
F.i. previously named Bill Wattersons masterpiece ended after just a 10 year run. 15 years is plenty, and while I do hope for (at least) another 15 years, when Jeph decides that the time has come to end QC, I will stand up, give a big applause and say "Thank you Mr. Jacques for entertaining us. It's been a pleasure reading your comic."
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #346 on: 18 May 2018, 04:48 »

We're here live where the apartment building behind me has crumbled.  Witnesses say there was a whole lotta shaking going on.  One witness, who seemed to have a propensity and fondness for Dolphins, exclaimed that he heard a female voice yelling and screaming something about "So that's what you can do with your hips".  Seismologists have registered it as a 2.9 on the Richter scale, small for sure but something not generally seen in this area.  Authorities and professionals are baffled as to the cause of the phenomenon and as to the sudden spike in the power grid.

We go back to you live at the studio. 
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #347 on: 18 May 2018, 05:21 »

Gentle reminder that Chuck Schulz made it to 50 years, and there are webcomics out there that are old enough to vote in US elections.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #348 on: 18 May 2018, 05:54 »

Gentle riposte that many things overstay their welcome, a la Simpsons.

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #349 on: 18 May 2018, 06:41 »

You know what? You're right. Honestly, I'd be happy if it wrapped up right around here—as much as I'd miss the strip. A lot more stories could be explored, but it feels like the main characters' issues (and those of a few back characters) have been resolved. It'd also be nice to see some things left open.

Of course, we would miss it terribly.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up