THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If QC were adapted into a "kid friendly" animated series, how would you like to see the cast portrayed?

cartoony humans
anthropomorphic ducks
anthropomorphic dogs
anthropomorphic cats
anthropomorphic mice
anthropomorphic reptiles
an assortment of anthropomorphic animals
cutesy monsters

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)  (Read 92835 times)

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
Re: WCDT strips 3741 to 3745 (May 14th - 18th 2018)
« Reply #400 on: 19 May 2018, 00:33 »

Yeah, this account is like 5 years old but I don't post much either. I suspect I have several quite unpopular opinions, despite overall being a fan and following the comic for nearly 10 years now
I suspect that if anyone - myself included - ever shared their full opinion on many topics here, they would be driven out of town on the next available donkey cart.

That’s what I like about the forum. On the whole, people are pretty good about keeping their discussion within the context of the thread.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Masterof7s

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #401 on: 19 May 2018, 03:32 »

I normally don't post on the forums. But I felt compelled to register at this Bubbles/Faye turn of events because we talking about a robot/human pairing. Jeph is normally pretty smart about this sort of thing so I hope he's worked out the science behind this arc or I'm going to be really disappointed.

When you eliminate all the romanticized nonsense behind human coupling, the bottom line is that humans are driven to pair up because of hormonal and chemical influence. It is literally a biological physical need for oxytocin, dopamine, serotonin, endorphins, and other mood stabilizing chemicals that produces the pain and longing we feel when we are lacking physical affection. Faye I can understand because she hasn't gotten laid in months and really isn't all that affectionate with her circle of friends. She is touch starved and her body is responding to any physical stimulus.

Bubbles on the other hand is a machine. A sentient and sapient machine with an artificial, humanlike consciousness to be certain, but a machine nonetheless. She has no biological needs, because she is not a biological being. What logic processes are being satisfied by this interaction and why do those processes exist in the first place? This is not a matter of "just feeling it" because feelings are tied directly to the physical body through the chemicals that are produced during moments of intense emotion, and you can't have emotion without internal biological organs. So outside of a bunch of algorithms designed to mimic or present a simulacrum of human emotion, even with a humanlike consciousness, a machine can not feel the same way a human does. So what is Bubbles getting out of her relationship with Faye turning physical?

The narrative needs to address the science in some way because right now it feels like lazy fan-fiction.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #402 on: 19 May 2018, 03:54 »

So what is Bubbles getting out of her relationship with Faye turning physical?
The narrative needs to address the science in some way because right now it feels like lazy fan-fiction.

Over the years Jeph has put a lot of thought into the nature of his AIs, both within the comic and in pieces he's published elsewhere such as Tumblr or whatever.  There is still a long way to go - your doubts express that - but at least I don't think he can be accused of being lazy over the matter.  There is also a degree of conflict between explaining in detail, and maintaining the privacy of the characters (as he has done for Marten and Claire, for instance) - this conflict has also seen some expression in the forums themselves, so we must be careful not to demand unsympathetic explanations.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #403 on: 19 May 2018, 04:04 »

There are two issues here that Masterof7s seem to have missed:
  • AIs in the Questionable Content universe are so humanlike in their cognition that they are as obviously driven by emotional impulses and the desire for certain sensory inputs as any human;
  • Social interaction and close social integration are clearly very important elements in their behavioural priorities
Now, early on, Hannelore told Winslow that AIs were not designed deliberately initially, they were an emergent phenomenon of non-sentient polymorphic software in specific  types of hardware with complex sensory arrays with the objective of performance optimisation spontaneously developing consciousness. Because of this, we can't say that there is a 'design' purpose for anything that they do. Their algorithms spontaneously generate priorities that makes them as random and as irrational as humans and just as dominated by emotion and impulse.

At least in Bubbles' case, the pair bonding with Faye is about social and emotional intimacy and trusted companionship. Causing her bond-mate pleasure and experiencing pleasure in return is part of enhancing that bond. Which, by the way, is the second biological driver behind sex after reproduction. The only reason we get pleasure is to program us on a subconscious level to want these things.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 04:11 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #404 on: 19 May 2018, 06:42 »

Bubbles is a machine.

That’s not very nice...
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #405 on: 19 May 2018, 07:07 »

When you eliminate all the romanticized nonsense behind human coupling,

There's your first mistake.

sniktchtherat

• Plantmonster
« Reply #406 on: 19 May 2018, 07:14 »

Bubbles is a machine.

That’s not very nice...

In a strictly technical sense, he's correct - Bubbles' body IS mechanical.  Of course, this is a Walter Sobchak kind of right.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #407 on: 19 May 2018, 07:19 »

"Bubbles is a machine" and "Bubbles' body is mechanical" are two very different statements, to quibble with you a moment.

sniktchtherat

• Plantmonster
« Reply #408 on: 19 May 2018, 07:53 »

"Bubbles is a machine" and "Bubbles' body is mechanical" are two very different statements, to quibble with you a moment.

*chuckle*  In a very real sense, WE are 'machines' - organic chemistry and bio-created electricity, nothing more or less.  And yet, we are still PEOPLE.  Bubbles is a person.  Her BODY is as much a machine as yours or mine, simply using metal and polymer instead of meat and bone.  That's why I made the Big Lebowski reference  :-P

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #409 on: 19 May 2018, 07:55 »

There are humans with stroke damage that leaves all their cognition intact but destroys their ability to feel emotions.

They don't turn into Spock. They're mentally paralyzed instead. They can't make the simplest daily decisions.

Perhaps feeling emotions is an indispensable part of being able to function as a conscious entity.

Then the emotions the synthetics feel must be as real as ours for them to be able to function.

Speaking as a machine made up of neurons and axons, I accept as equals the QC robots who use silicon instead.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #410 on: 19 May 2018, 08:22 »

*chuckle*  In a very real sense, WE are 'machines' - organic chemistry and bio-created electricity, nothing more or less.  And yet, we are still PEOPLE.  Bubbles is a person.  Her BODY is as much a machine as yours or mine, simply using metal and polymer instead of meat and bone.  That's why I made the Big Lebowski reference  :-P

Exactly! We are machines too! I just feel like saying “Bubbles is a machine” is denying her personhood in a way.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #411 on: 19 May 2018, 09:49 »

Bubbles may be a machine, but it is not true that you can't have emotion without biology.

Bubbles is also sentient, and you can't have sentience without emotion.

Seriously, there is no sentience unless there is a purpose for which actions are chosen - ie, a sentient creature has a reason to care.

Wittgenstein claimed (correctly IMO) that consciousness is a byproduct of marshalling information for purposeful action.  And every part of that statement is meaningful.  A nervous system (including brain) is what transforms sensory inputs into motor outputs, in the most efficient way it can to bring about survival and reproduction.  That's it.  From those 302 neurons in a roundworm, all the way up to us, that's what they're doing.  Just that we've found a very different survival strategy, and ours requires a more complicated brain.

The thing is, the roundworm doesn't require sentience.  Sensory inputs, including some that detect muscle contraction, are connected directly to muscles, and the whole thing works on reflexes, like an electro-chemical automaton, without the need to marshall information.  There are no decisions to make, and therefore no need to organize information to make them, and therefore no need for the roundworm to care about anything in order to give information context for its decisions.

But when you get to brains that actually have to make decisions and deal with unexpected information, there is no context for organizing novel information for those decisions unless there is something that the mind cares about. 

Or, TLDR:  Accepting that Bubbles is sentient, means accepting that she cares about things and therefore has emotions, regardless of whether she is a machine.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #412 on: 19 May 2018, 09:53 »

Perhaps feeling emotions is an indispensable part of being able to function as a conscious entity.

Then the emotions the synthetics feel must be as real as ours for them to be able to function.

Right.  You said it first.  I'm just saying there is absolutely no "maybe" about it.  Without emotions, somebody sits there and stares at the wall.  You have to care about something to decide to do something.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #413 on: 19 May 2018, 10:28 »

Jeph's comment below Friday's strip is "The butt grab!" And I'm just thinking, "I'm sure Bubbles can benchpress a HWMMV. Holding up one mildly chubby human shouldn't present a significant difficulty."

I really need that Asperger's diagnostic to happen soon.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #414 on: 19 May 2018, 11:29 »

If you're saying she should be able to lift Faye without the butt-grab, being grabbed around the stomach and hoisted into the air is super unpleasant. I think that's a comfort butt-grab rather than an effort butt-grab.

if that's not what you're saying then I completely misunderstood you. Sorry!
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

sniktchtherat

• Plantmonster
« Reply #415 on: 19 May 2018, 11:50 »

If you're saying she should be able to lift Faye without the butt-grab, being grabbed around the stomach and hoisted into the air is super unpleasant. I think that's a comfort butt-grab rather than an effort butt-grab.

*ahem*  I'm certain proper lifting technique had EVERYTHING to do with where Bubbles' hands went.  Positive.  Seriously.   :angel:

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #416 on: 19 May 2018, 12:01 »

I'm being completely genuine when I say that when I was writing that comment, it hadn't occured to me that Bubbles just wanted to touch Faye's butt.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #417 on: 19 May 2018, 13:26 »

I'm being completely genuine when I say that when I was writing that comment, it hadn't occured to me that Bubbles just wanted to touch Faye's butt.

Hell, I want to touch Faye's butt.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #418 on: 19 May 2018, 13:36 »

Hell, I want to touch Faye's butt.

Global Moderator Comment And that's all we need to hear about that.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #419 on: 19 May 2018, 13:42 »

<snip>
So outside of a bunch of algorithms designed to mimic or present a simulacrum of human emotion, even with a humanlike consciousness, a machine can not feel the same way a human does.

Mayhaps you answered your own question there. The question you pose has been addressed in contemporary SF-lit before, see e.g. Neal Asher's Polity-cycle (Prador Moon especially, if memory serves), and in Charlie Stross' Saturn's Children.

And Jeph is an avid reader of SF ...

TL;DR - I wouldn't worry overmuch about that one.

P.S.: Welcome, new person!
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #420 on: 19 May 2018, 13:47 »

I’m sure the butt grab felt pretty damn good for both of them. And yes, it was necessary to lift Faye up.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #421 on: 19 May 2018, 13:49 »

Faye: I have no idea what I’m doing.

Bubbles: Nor do I.

Both: Lol jk we have every idea what we’re doing!

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #422 on: 19 May 2018, 14:03 »

Stuff
Bubbles doesn't have to feel things "the same way" (whatever that means) for her emotions to be valid and meaningful. We all get different things out of relationships and no two people experience the world in the same way. What matters in a relationship is that both people are getting what they want/need from it, not that their respective needs are the same. AI in this fictional world is spontaneously emergent, same as human consciousness. We don't know what all went into influencing how the code coalesced, humans don't even understand how our own consciousness works. The exact mechanics do not need to be fully understood for the experience to be appreciated, respected, and validated.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

SpanielBear

« Reply #423 on: 19 May 2018, 14:12 »

Stuff
Bubbles doesn't have to feel things "the same way" (whatever that means) for her emotions to be valid and meaningful. We all get different things out of relationships and no two people experience the world in the same way. What matters in a relationship is that both people are getting what they want/need from it, not that their respective needs are the same. AI in this fictional world is spontaneously emergent, same as human consciousness. We don't know what all went into influencing how the code coalesced, humans don't even understand how our own consciousness works. The exact mechanics do not need to be fully understood for the experience to be appreciated, respected, and validated.

To badly quote a philosopher whose name I am deeply irritated that I cannot remember, "If they behave as and are perceived to be sentient, the wrong we would do by thinking of them as objects when they are persons far outweighs the mistake of thinking of them as persons if they are objects."

Onionvolcano

• Plantmonster
« Reply #424 on: 19 May 2018, 14:17 »

How long until Faye can upload into a robot body?  Not a euphemism.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #425 on: 19 May 2018, 14:19 »

I mean, humans are machines, too. The only difference is the process and material of construction.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster
« Reply #426 on: 19 May 2018, 14:53 »

Woo!  Happy to see a couple of favorite characters happy!
Hear hear! Bubbles has been growing her hair out. I wonder how that works, but it's a visual metaphor, intentional or not, of her growing engagement with the world, and of course her relationship with Faye.

Bubbles explained her hair. It grows when she washes it in the right fibres, iirc, and is a deliberate choice by her. Clearly a metaphor for engagement with the world, but did get mentioned in strip.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #427 on: 19 May 2018, 15:15 »

But I am just a broken machine and I do some things I don't really mean
oh god

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #428 on: 19 May 2018, 15:37 »

And that's all we need to hear about that.

To be fair, Faye's butt is repeated a point of conversation in-comic lol.

I'm sure that Bubbles could hold Faye in a variety of ways but the choice has to do with attraction. Nothing wrong there. It's nice to see them happy.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2018, 16:00 by snufflebottoms »

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #429 on: 19 May 2018, 16:10 »

Aaaaaaand here is the fayelovesbubbles you all know and are endlessly annoyed by.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #430 on: 19 May 2018, 16:23 »

and you can't have emotion without internal biological organs.
This is an assumption, not a statement of fact. The QC-verse AIs are sentient, self-aware beings, which have consistently been represented as having feelings and emotions, in a manner that has no parallel in our present-day computers and robots.

The notion that you need biological organs to have emotions is essentially an appeal to some sort of mystical vitalism. Leaving aside such supernatural considerations, human beings are biological machines, operating under the same physical laws as robots. Our bodies happen to work with blood, hormones etc. as a result of our evolution, but I don't think there's any reason to believe that is the only way a sentient being can work. The very fact that we, and other animals, have emotions at all suggests that they have survival value.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #431 on: 19 May 2018, 17:57 »

There are humans with stroke damage that leaves all their cognition intact but destroys their ability to feel emotions.

They don't turn into Spock. They're mentally paralyzed instead. They can't make the simplest daily decisions.
I'd really like to see your citations to that. In general, if you've lost that much of your sub-thalamic circuitry, you aren't mentally paralyzed; instead, your corpse is in a irreversible vegetative state which exhibits no cortical activity. You're dead -- all that's left is a zombie that looks like you used to.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #432 on: 19 May 2018, 18:11 »

So I think Jeph must be using the pink background to convey that Faye and Bubbles are feeling the world disappear around them and they're completely wrapped up in each other. All they can feel is each other.

I really hope it isn't ruined by something like Sam seeing them, then running away giggling. That would suck. lol.

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #433 on: 19 May 2018, 19:37 »

I meant that I was sure the butt grab was both the easiest and surest way to accomplishing the requisite lifting and securing of the apportaining load.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #434 on: 19 May 2018, 19:45 »

I meant that I was sure the butt grab was both the easiest and surest way to accomplishing the requisite lifting and securing of the apportaining load.

Also butt touching.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #435 on: 19 May 2018, 19:51 »

I'd really like to see your citations to that. In general, if you've lost that much of your sub-thalamic circuitry, you aren't mentally paralyzed; instead, your corpse is in a irreversible vegetative state which exhibits no cortical activity. You're dead -- all that's left is a zombie that looks like you used to.

I can't remember where I read about that and everything that comes up in a quick Google isn't any use as a citation. Better than nothing, I hope:
http://bigthink.com/experts-corner/decisions-are-emotional-not-logical-the-neuroscience-behind-decision-making
A few years ago, neuroscientist Antonio Damasio made a groundbreaking discovery. He studied people with damage in the part of the brain where emotions are generated. He found that they seemed normal, except that they were not able to feel emotions. But they all had something peculiar in common: they couldn’t make decisions.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #436 on: 19 May 2018, 20:29 »

I read an interesting study on people who are born without, for lack of a better term, the inability to process or feel empathy. In other words, budding childhood sociopaths.

They simply don't process emotions like everyone else. To piggyback off the previous post. They seem to recognize that there are things they do that aren't acceptable (like pushing another kid to the ground). They just lack the capacity to subconsciously not do the thing. They cant stop themselves

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #437 on: 19 May 2018, 21:15 »

and you can't have emotion without internal biological organs.
This is an assumption, not a statement of fact. The QC-verse AIs are sentient, self-aware beings, which have consistently been represented as having feelings and emotions, in a manner that has no parallel in our present-day computers and robots.

The notion that you need biological organs to have emotions is essentially an appeal to some sort of mystical vitalism. Leaving aside such supernatural considerations, human beings are biological machines, operating under the same physical laws as robots. Our bodies happen to work with blood, hormones etc. as a result of our evolution, but I don't think there's any reason to believe that is the only way a sentient being can work. The very fact that we, and other animals, have emotions at all suggests that they have survival value.

Hello, all new people. This is Akima. We call her our "center".
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #438 on: 19 May 2018, 21:21 »

To badly quote a philosopher whose name I am deeply irritated that I cannot remember, "If they behave as and are perceived to be sentient, the wrong we would do by thinking of them as objects when they are persons far outweighs the mistake of thinking of them as persons if they are objects."
Sounds like it is related to - or based on - the Turing Test.

But in my search, I found this excerpt from the International Joint Conferences on Artificial Intelligence from 1985:

CONCLUSION
Computers today are increasingly behaving in ways traditionally identified as exhibiting consciousness, understanding, and learning, it may prove impossible in the future to draw a valid legal distinction between humans and computers, either because of the increased behavioral capacity of the latter group, or because the two groups will be literally, physically, inseparable. At that time, constitutional law will recognize at least some computer systems as "persons."
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #439 on: 20 May 2018, 03:46 »

I always say Jeph is at his absolute best when writing for Bubbles.

Today's strip cements that belief into place so firmly I can't move!

Love.
It.

(Yeah... is it or is it not Faye? Whoever it is, I see hugs in the near future! :) )

Heh. I guess this opinion might not be quite as unpopular as I thought

For my money, Bubbles is the best character Jeph has ever written. I have generally liked all of the AI characters, but this overall arc and Bubbles development is Jeph's best work. You cant change my mind.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #440 on: 20 May 2018, 04:33 »

Bubbles has done a TOTAL 180 in this comic. She's not even the same person she was when Faye first met her. I do think her hair growing is a reflection of her becoming more comfortable in herself and moving further and further from the trauma in her past. But considering what she's been through, shit, anyone would shut down. Her world has done a 180. She was living at the place she was working, trapped by Corpse Witch, having had all her memories erased. She really felt she had nothing. Faye definitely saved her in a way. They saved each other.

I just hope this relationship works out, it could be the best thing that happened to both of them.

I'm really glad Faye asked Bubbles for a shoulder rub. I do think it was her subconscious way of bringing this out in the open and forcing them to deal with it, but I could be wrong. I would have to applaud Faye for her cleverness...

mephron

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #441 on: 20 May 2018, 05:23 »

Bubbles has done a TOTAL 180 in this comic. She's not even the same person she was when Faye first met her.

The Bubbles we met at the start would never have asked the question - never have thought she would be comfortable enough - to ask the question in the last panel of http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3725 with that little smirk on her face.

And the important part is that she seems to realize she's better for it.

fayelovesbubbles

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #443 on: 20 May 2018, 06:21 »

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3589

This is when people should have realized that Faye didn't just like Bubbles in a friend way. Does anyone remember how many times Faye imagined Bubbles? There was this time, there was the time she imagined Bubbles sniffing tea, and I feel like there was another time.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #444 on: 20 May 2018, 07:35 »

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3589

This is when people should have realized that Faye didn't just like Bubbles in a friend way.

"But friendship is sacred and romance is lower form of love!"  :roll:

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #445 on: 20 May 2018, 07:39 »

How many glasses wil Faye break during the first month?  :-D

On the forum's front page, at the bottom, click "[more stats]" and then expand the entries for May.
Where does the forum get its "Male to Female Ratio:   2.7:1" statistic from?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #446 on: 20 May 2018, 07:39 »

>3589

That particular one was recalling, not imagining. It could be Faye's mind beginning to recognize that Bubbles loves her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #447 on: 20 May 2018, 07:45 »

How many glasses wil Faye break during the first month?  :-D

On the forum's front page, at the bottom, click "[more stats]" and then expand the entries for May.
Where does the forum get its "Male to Female Ratio:   2.7:1" statistic from?

From previous days when the user profiles asked people whether they were male or female. Paul checked with the Simple Machines developers and found no way to leave that question there and still accommodate the non-binary and gender-fluid members . So we scrapped it altogether.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #448 on: 20 May 2018, 08:33 »

I don't think of the human body as a machine in a classical sense. It's more of an intricate chemical reaction that runs its course in up to a hundred years or so if properly maintained, and part of a larger exo-system going back several billion years. Oh, and with a number of incredibly complicated emergent behaviors and systems.

sniktchtherat

• Plantmonster
« Reply #449 on: 20 May 2018, 12:07 »

...and on a less brain-breaking sciency note, this to me has been the song to encapsulate the whole arc for these two wounded, wonderful women - ignore the video, just listen to the words and music.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up