THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 19:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HALP (recommendations of games)  (Read 13158 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
HALP (recommendations of games)
« on: 17 May 2018, 12:55 »

Hello all!

So I got a laptop this year. It is not a gaming machine.

Specs are:
Intel Core i5-7200U CPU @2.50 GHz 2.70 GHz
8.00 Ram
x64-based processor
Intel HD Graphics 620
Windows 10

I'm not typically a PC Gamer so I don't know what other specs you might need to know.

Anyway, I'd like to have some games on my laptop for various reasons. It doesn't run much, as you can see above, so I'm mostly looking at retro games.

I'm think 90sish, early 00s also. So far I have got Worms Reloaded to run on it, along with Ultima 3 and Theme Hospital. Fallout 1 and 2 run on it, although I've established I find them pretty much unplayable as shit due to how difficult they are.

I want something to occupy a lot of my time, but not necessarily that challenging. RPG games would be good. I don't expect anything 3D, necessarily.

edit: Just realised something I forgot. I hate multiplayer. Please only recommend me things with a decent solo campaign.

Would anybody be able to recommend anything to me? I've been trying to search on Gog and Steam and it doesn't really allow me to search in a way I'd like.
« Last Edit: 17 May 2018, 13:44 by Thrillho »
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: HALP (recommendations of games)
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2018, 13:20 »

I do have a recent recommendations that should run on your machine.

Its called "Tooth and Tail."  Its a small RTS with SNES like graphics. You control a commander with a flag.  You build farms and buildings and command troops to kill your opponents farms and army.
Its also on sale on steam right now.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/286000/Tooth_and_Tail/

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2018, 13:45 »

I think I've seen clips of that around. Is it single player?

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2018, 14:23 »

Longform RPGs that run on integrated graphics might be a little hard to find, but you could always go with the acclaimed classics like Planescape: Torment, or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines; I played those because of all the glowing praise they get, they're really very good. I also hear many people speaking fondly of the Baldur's Gate series and early Elder Scrolls games, but I've not played those myself.

My personal RPG of obsession as a kid was Dungeon Siege, which I still highly recommend. It's good and simple party-based monster-bashing, you level up, you loot cool gear, you visit beautiful places, the works. There's also Deus Ex, which is a more complex FPS-RPG hybrid, but it's rightfully considered one of the best games of all time even if it hasn't aged well aesthetically. If you want a game that explores the intersection between transhumanism, government conspiracies, world politics, and the AI singularity, you owe it to yourself to give Deus Ex a chance.

You mentioned Theme Hospital, so I assume you're aware of Dungeon Keeper? Both the first and second games are still a blast after all these years. Age of Empires 2 as well, I loved that as a kid. I'm rubbish at real-time strategy but fortunately I could cheat my way through it. Back when games still had cheat codes, those were the days.

More on the action side, there is Cave Story+, a classic run-and-gun platformer with few equals; Shovel Knight, the greatest 8-bit platformer of the 21st century; Luftrausers, an exhilirating 2D dogfighting game set in an alternate universe WWII; One Finger Death Punch, a game that lets you feel like a badass kung fu action hero just by hammering two buttons; VVVVVV, the quintessential gravity-flipping platformer... those should all work wonderfully on integrated graphics.

What are your feelings on roguelikes like The Binding of Isaac? Or puzzle games like Mini Metro? I might have a dozen more recommendations if you're into those.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2018, 15:31 »

Have you played Portal/Portal 2?

It's not 90s but you might get away with it...
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #5 on: 18 May 2018, 01:05 »

Rimworld is a good one.
The various Shadowrun games.
Stardew Valley will eat all of your time, if that's the sort of game you're into. All of your time.
Zachtronics games are good if you like crazy-hard puzzles.
Transistor and Bastion.

And did you know there's a remake of Theme Hospital scheduled for sometime this year?

https://www.twopointhospital.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExZagBc-ss

« Last Edit: 18 May 2018, 12:53 by Pilchard123 »
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #6 on: 18 May 2018, 01:48 »

Those are good recommendations but they're a bit more graphics-intensive, judging by the system requirements the Shadowrun games probably won't work and Transistor is a bit iffy. Bastion should work though, there's even a demo so you can check for yourself.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #7 on: 18 May 2018, 02:11 »

The "Command and Conquer" series, maybe?

I always liked Privateer 2: The Darkening

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 18 May 2018, 03:45 »

The things that happen online...

This just appeared on my Fb page...
https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/command-and-conquer-the-ultimate-edition-pc
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2018, 06:22 »

I think I've seen clips of that around. Is it single player?

Yes! It has single player, multiplayer, and a campaign. It plays like a simpler (not dumbed down) starcraft.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2018, 06:26 »

Yeah, about that...

There are lots of places online that sell third-party game keys for very little money (G2A, Kinguin, etc.) and they tend to be associated with shady practices like credit card fraud or reselling of products that were sent to press for free. They don't get the keys from developers or publishers, but other people sell them to the website, and they like to turn a blind eye to how exactly those people obtained them. A few months ago, many developers spoke out against this practice, specifically to G2A, which forced them to clean up their act a bit (for one, no more selling "insurance" for when fraudulent keys are revoked) but they're still black sheep of the industry and I would avoid buying from them or their ilk.

If you want to get the best price for a normally expensive game, check isthereanydeal.com. You can enable email notifications for when a game you're interested in goes on sale, which happens frequently enough that you don't have a very good reason to pay full price like, ever.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2018, 12:51 »

The Humble Store is a good place as well. Good discounts, a good catalogue, gives 5% to charity (you pick which one) and 5% back as store credit on everything you buy there. The bundles are pretty cool too.

Galactic Civilizations II is free for ~21 hours from posting.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2018, 13:04 »

I do have a recent recommendations that should run on your machine.

Its called "Tooth and Tail."  Its a small RTS with SNES like graphics. You control a commander with a flag.  You build farms and buildings and command troops to kill your opponents farms and army.
Its also on sale on steam right now.

I might well give this one a go, thanks!

Longform RPGs that run on integrated graphics might be a little hard to find, but you could always go with the acclaimed classics like Planescape: Torment, or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines; I played those because of all the glowing praise they get, they're really very good. I also hear many people speaking fondly of the Baldur's Gate series and early Elder Scrolls games, but I've not played those myself.

I've never played any of those. Planescape looks like exactly what I'm looking for and seems like my PC will run it too. Vampire isn't the perspective I'm after (I play first person games on console). Baldur's Gate also looks like a goer.

My personal RPG of obsession as a kid was Dungeon Siege, which I still highly recommend. It's good and simple party-based monster-bashing, you level up, you loot cool gear, you visit beautiful places, the works. There's also Deus Ex, which is a more complex FPS-RPG hybrid, but it's rightfully considered one of the best games of all time even if it hasn't aged well aesthetically. If you want a game that explores the intersection between transhumanism, government conspiracies, world politics, and the AI singularity, you owe it to yourself to give Deus Ex a chance.

Dungeon Siege also looks perfect. That, Baldur's Gate and Planescape all look very Diablo-ish, and I do love Diablo III, which I've played front to back more than once with my buddies.

Deus Ex I played when I was a kid and quite frankly I think most people (not you) only have good memories of the first few hours of the game. Again it's first person so not really what I'm after, but it is an astonishingly good game.

You mentioned Theme Hospital, so I assume you're aware of Dungeon Keeper? Both the first and second games are still a blast after all these years. Age of Empires 2 as well, I loved that as a kid. I'm rubbish at real-time strategy but fortunately I could cheat my way through it. Back when games still had cheat codes, those were the days.

Age of Empires 2 I don't like very much, although I did like the first one a whole lot until I ran out of campaign missions I could actually complete without cheating. Dungeon Keeper also looks like a great shout, so thanks for that suggestion, although of the ones I'm considering so far it's the one I'm least interested in.

More on the action side, there is Cave Story+, a classic run-and-gun platformer with few equals; Shovel Knight, the greatest 8-bit platformer of the 21st century; Luftrausers, an exhilirating 2D dogfighting game set in an alternate universe WWII; One Finger Death Punch, a game that lets you feel like a badass kung fu action hero just by hammering two buttons; VVVVVV, the quintessential gravity-flipping platformer... those should all work wonderfully on integrated graphics.

Platformers I cannot fucking stand, honestly, they're really just not for me. Shovel Knight I've seen Game Grumps play all the way through and looks fun but it's so iconic and magnificent that I just don't really see myself playing it by myself soon, because it's too fresh in the mind. Pretty much everything in this list isn't really what I'm interested in but I may come back to Luftrausers or One Finger Death Punch once I've sated my RPG desire.

What are your feelings on roguelikes like The Binding of Isaac? Or puzzle games like Mini Metro? I might have a dozen more recommendations if you're into those.

Looking at Binding of Isaac I don't think I like the art style. It looks a lot like Super Meat Boy, which I tired of aesthetically quite early on, and puzzle games aren't generally my thing. Thanks so much for all of these suggestions! I think one of the four I highlighted above in my replies will be the winner here if I can get them for cheap, and get them to run...

Have you played Portal/Portal 2?

It's not 90s but you might get away with it...

Portal would likely run on this machine but I have completed it a bunch of times, I got it back when it was free and played it on my old PC. Portal 2 I have also finished the single player, but would definitely kill my laptop, it's way too recent.

[Rimworld](https://store.steampowered.com/app/294100/RimWorld/) is a good one.
The various Shadowrun games.
[Stardew Valley](https://store.steampowered.com/app/413150/Stardew_Valley/) will eat all of your time, if that's the sort of game you're into. All of your time.
[Zachtronics](http://www.zachtronics.com/) games are good if you like crazy-hard puzzles.
[Transistor](https://store.steampowered.com/app/237930/Transistor/) and [Bastion](https://store.steampowered.com/app/107100/Bastion/)

And did you know there's a remake of Theme Hospital scheduled for sometime this year?

https://www.twopointhospital.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZExZagBc-ss

Stardew Valley looks really gorgeous but doesn't look like it has a plot or an end point, and I'm after something that I can just... finish if I want to, although I don't mind a GTA scenario where the main campaign finishes and I can keep playing if I want. Thanks for pointing out the Theme Hospital remake, I'll definitely tell my family and one of my partners, but having played that game to death for the better part of two decades is exactly why I'm trying to find something else! I'm going to assume LeeC is right about the graphics on the other ones because I have no idea; I've already covered puzzles in the reply. Thanks for all the suggestions nonetheless!

I love the Command and Conquer games with a hundred throbbing boners, at least prior to them going 3D. Red Alert is one of my favourite games ever made, as a matter of fact. I used to have the first decade collection on CD, but I couldn't get it to run post Windows Vista or so, and I can't seem to find versions of it that will work on this OS. If anyone knows where I can find 'em please do let me know, because Tiberiun Sun, Red Alert and Red Alert 2 are fucking masterpieces. Privateer actually looks pretty good too, and nice and cheap, so I might get to that one but low on the list like I said for a few others.

The Humble Store is a good place as well. Good discounts, a good catalogue, gives 5% to charity (you pick which one) and 5% back as store credit on everything you buy there. The bundles are pretty cool too.

Galactic Civilizations II is free for ~21 hours from posting.
Thanks for this suggestion, great stuff. I got a copy of Galactic Civilisations II because, fuck it, it's free, and the Humble Store looks like an excellent choice.

Thanks everybody for all of your suggestions!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2018, 14:26 »

Stardew does have a plot and endpoint, but they're kinda not that big a thing. Just stepping in on that cuz I know that one.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2018, 15:24 »

Looking at Binding of Isaac I don't think I like the art style. It looks a lot like Super Meat Boy, which I tired of aesthetically quite early on, and puzzle games aren't generally my thing. Thanks so much for all of these suggestions! I think one of the four I highlighted above in my replies will be the winner here if I can get them for cheap, and get them to run...

Glad you like them! I was wondering whether you'd played roguelikes at all, Binding of Isaac is pretty popular (same developer as Super Meat Boy actually) so it's a good reference point, but if you're not familiar with them I won't bother. There are just too many.

Also useful to know is that both GOG and Steam have good refund policies, and if you can't get the game to run, you can get a full refund. GOG's customer support is especially dedicated to troubleshooting problems you might have getting old games to run. Humble and other stores can't really offer that, as they tend to give you a Steam key to redeem, where neither ends up with the responsibility if you end up not being able to run it. On the other hand, Dungeon Siege is 75% off on Humble at the moment, so you might as well give that a shot and put the others onto your waitlist for isthereanydeal.com. By the time you finish Dungeon Siege you'll most likely have had an opportunity to pick up another game for cheap as well.

Fair warning though, Planescape: Torment is a lot closer to Deus Ex than Diablo or Dungeon Siege. Expect a lot of worldbuilding, dialogue, and profound existential dilemmas. Most combat encounters can even be avoided if you're clever about your approach, or pass a necessary skillcheck. I arrived at it too late to really dig into it but I can see why it was a formative experience for people back when it came out.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2018, 09:45 »

The Sexy Brutale on Steam is one of my newest favourite games. It's a murder how(not who)-dunnit time based puzzle game. I might be underestimating how intensive it is because it's simple but 3D and very pretty. I put eleven-ish hours in which included doing some trophy hunting. The music, character designs and overall feel is jazzy and burlesque and very my jam for what that's worth. It's a game I had a lot of fun just watching through a few times before trying to actually solve the puzzles.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #16 on: 21 May 2018, 05:59 »

Yeah, about that...

There are lots of places online that sell third-party game keys for very little money (G2A, Kinguin, etc.) and they tend to be associated with shady practices like credit card fraud or reselling of products that were sent to press for free. They don't get the keys from developers or publishers, but other people sell them to the website, and they like to turn a blind eye to how exactly those people obtained them. A few months ago, many developers spoke out against this practice, specifically to G2A, which forced them to clean up their act a bit (for one, no more selling "insurance" for when fraudulent keys are revoked) but they're still black sheep of the industry and I would avoid buying from them or their ilk.

If you want to get the best price for a normally expensive game, check isthereanydeal.com. You can enable email notifications for when a game you're interested in goes on sale, which happens frequently enough that you don't have a very good reason to pay full price like, ever.

Oooh really! I had no idea! I thought that site was totally legit?
(I rarely buy anything new.. there's a nice second hand place intown, and of course a ubiquitous "Game" as well... I figured the C&C collection was simply'outdated' and thus not really 'worth' that much these days?)

Thanks for the link though! Saved!

Covenant

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2018, 06:05 »

I love the Command and Conquer games with a hundred throbbing boners, at least prior to them going 3D. Red Alert is one of my favourite games ever made, as a matter of fact. I used to have the first decade collection on CD, but I couldn't get it to run post Windows Vista or so, and I can't seem to find versions of it that will work on this OS. If anyone knows where I can find 'em please do let me know, because Tiberiun Sun, Red Alert and Red Alert 2 are fucking masterpieces. Privateer actually looks pretty good too, and nice and cheap, so I might get to that one but low on the list like I said for a few others.

I had a quick look at the C&C collection.

Seems the Vista problem was a card problem.. page is a bit unclear but it does say updated to run on Vista and Win 7.

(And... I checked it on LTKs link... they ALSO had it for a shade higher than CDkeys are putting it out, but the price has just gone back up...)
Covenant

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #18 on: 21 May 2018, 06:26 »

Oooh really! I had no idea! I thought that site was totally legit?

Some key resellers might be, but I don't keep track of which are reputable and which aren't. Istherenanydeal does vet the sellers that it lists the prices of, and cdkeys.com isn't included by them, so I take that as an indication they might be shady.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #19 on: 21 May 2018, 18:48 »

Can I just say that Welu's post got me to finally play The Sexy Brutale (which I've had installed and on the 'To Play' list for a while now), and boy howdy. Just... yeah. Yeaaaaaaaaaaah.

(is good is what i'm saying. no idea if it'll work for you cuz hahahahahahaha I left behind computer hardware years ago sorry)

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #20 on: 22 May 2018, 11:43 »

Yaaaayy!! <3

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #21 on: 22 May 2018, 20:53 »

If you're still looking for recommendations, I have a pretty heft GOG collection of retro titles.

Starflight 1 & 2

Navigate the stars and explore uncharted planets, trade and negotiate with local alien species and solve ancient mysteries that could destroy the galaxy. Be prepared to take lots of notes and maybe keep a star map open in your browser. Early EA games on DOS.

Alpha Centauri

4X empire builder based on Civilization. Build up your faction, trade and negotiate with others, design your own combat units, and manage your relationship with the planet's native ecosystem (which is actively trying to murder you).  Released 1999.

Master of Orion 1 & 2

Another 4X title, but on an interstellar scale. MOO2 involves more individual planet management while MOO1 has less micromanagement. Massive fleet battles are surprisingly fun.

Xenonauts

Like the original X-COM, but without the bugs and runs on modern machines. Also removes some of the tedious aspects of base management.

X-COM

The original series (actually on Steam rather than GOG), much more focus on base management and aerial defense than the remake, but the tactical combat is still there.

Castles 2

Another old DOS game. Expand territory, manage resources, manage relationships with other lords as well as the Pope and become the next king of Britannia.

Septerra Core

A pretty decent RPG similar in play style to Baldur's Gate. I actually don't remember this one was well as I would like (I played it a long time ago), but I remember it being fun.

X3

I don't know for sure that your system will handle it. The graphics aren't very taxing, but the vast AI controlled economy puts a strain on some processors if the game goes on long enough and fleets become too large. Explore the galaxy and make your fortune any way you can. Trade. Fight. Fly for hire. Build a fleet. Build an industry. There is even a robust modding community (or there was when the game first came out. Most of their work is still available, though.) that has added a massive amount of content and quality of life improvements.

Wow. I hated Privateer 2. I fully admit that I probably only hate it because I was expecting something more like Privateer 1 (and the rest of the Wing Commander series) and was thrown by how different it was. I'm glad you enjoyed it. That said, the whole Wing Commander series is worth playing. Later games (WC3, WC4 and WC Prophecy) starred Mark Hamill.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #22 on: 22 May 2018, 21:36 »

Aside from the GPU, my laptop has pretty similar specs, and I'll second Planescape Torment, or the Baldur's Gate games, and also recommend the PC ports of many of the older Final Fantasy series.  You might want to check the system specs on some of the newer titles though, and see if your GPU can handle it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2018, 01:29 »

Wow. I hated Privateer 2. I fully admit that I probably only hate it because I was expecting something more like Privateer 1 (and the rest of the Wing Commander series) and was thrown by how different it was. I'm glad you enjoyed it. That said, the whole Wing Commander series is worth playing. Later games (WC3, WC4 and WC Prophecy) starred Mark Hamill.

I guess I was 'lucky' in that regards.
I played Privateer 2 before any of the other WC related games.
I just liked it's strangeness, I think ! :)

(whisper.... I even liked the WC movie!)
Covenant
Pages: [1]   Go Up