Fun Stuff > MAKE

Brewing

(1/2) > >>

Meadomancer:
As the name might suggest, I make mead.  Or, to put it a more metal way, I habitually use crude bioengineering to enslave a fungal colony with the intent to convert bee vomit into an intoxicant.  The currently-brewing batch is a one gallon run using Texas wildflower honey. 

(click to show/hide)

And because I probably take it too seriously, I hacked together a label with stock images. 
(click to show/hide)

Cornelius:
Nice. Do you capture your fungal colony, or purchase?

My experiments with mead have been less than stellar, so I stick to beer and wine.

At the moment I have a batch of pilsner happily bubbling away.

Meadomancer:
I purchase, for the sake of consistency.  This batch is using d47 Champaign yeast, so I had to use a temperature controller to turn a minifridge into a 65 F cooler.  Mead is definitely more finicky than beer, though it has the advantage that pretty much any bad taste can be aged out. 

Cornelius:
Consistency is always nice. It depends on what's in the air, as well - over here, if I try with the local wild yeast, it'll come out fairly sour - if it doesn't pick up anything else.

Last time I tried mead, I used a Kitzinger Sauternes yeast - but I think it died on me. Possibly a problem with the acidity, which I hadn't measured. That, or a contamination.

Meadomancer:
Yeast can be a little bitch like that.  I think being a bit of a purist helps.  Water, honey, yeast, patience.  If I were to start adding cranberries or something, the pH would very quickly become a concern.  If I ever see juniper berries or sale, though, I might have to try, for the sole reason that it got mentioned in the Skyrim intro. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version