THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What will happen this week? (Select two options)

Cute Faybles pillow talk
- 30 (23.3%)
Awkward Faybles pillow talk
- 18 (14%)
The backlash starts - Not everyone is happy with the news
- 6 (4.7%)
Marten and Claire try to congratulate the new couple; this could go well or badly!
- 17 (13.2%)
Pintsize should have learned his lesson when Bubbles crushed his head!
- 6 (4.7%)
Tortura spends five strips berating Steve for not making an honest woman of Cossette (over cereal)
- 8 (6.2%)
Roko and Melon having an ironic conversation (not that they know it) about whether humans could ever be romantically interested in AIs
- 13 (10.1%)
Dora and Tai have a cute argument over who saw it coming first
- 5 (3.9%)
Brun is confused about why Elliott and Clinton are so awkward around her. Renee tries to explain
- 23 (17.8%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 3 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3746 to 3750 (21st to 25th May 2018)  (Read 79903 times)

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
Re: WCDT strips 3746 to 3750 (21st to 25th May 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 21 May 2018, 22:52 »

No butler would wear a hat, unless required by the protocol of a specific occasion.
When going out?  He most certainly would.  Hats were very much an item of uniform and emblem of social rank in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries, and photographs of the period rarely have UK men out and about bareheaded.

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #101 on: 21 May 2018, 23:00 »

No butler would wear a hat, unless required by the protocol of a specific occasion.
When going out?  He most certainly would.  Hats were very much an item of uniform and emblem of social rank in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries, and photographs of the period rarely have UK men out and about bareheaded.

The ultimate point of reference for this... https://youtu.be/tk7pk58Bq4Q?t=4m13s
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #102 on: 21 May 2018, 23:11 »

The ultimate point of reference for this... https://youtu.be/tk7pk58Bq4Q?t=4m13s
And I think one of the "making Downton Abbey" segments spent several minutes on the topic.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #103 on: 21 May 2018, 23:13 »

I want to point out that Jeeves was Bertie Wooster's valet, not his butler. Though I am told that he could butle with the best of them.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #104 on: 21 May 2018, 23:19 »

A valet he may be but most of us uncultured Americans are unaware of the difference probably because of Batman since Alfred is called a butler yet mostly acts like a valet.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #105 on: 21 May 2018, 23:36 »

A valet he may be but most of us uncultured Americans are unaware of the difference probably because of Batman since Alfred is called a butler yet mostly acts like a valet.
If they served in the military, he could be Bruce Wayne's batman.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #106 on: 21 May 2018, 23:36 »

I've got the feeling that we're already seeing some idea of the shape of Faye and Bubbles' future relationship. Faye is going to be slightly more anxious - more worried about mis-steps and how all of this will affect their friendship and happiness. Bubbles is going to be (almost surprisingly, given that she's the supposed humanoid computer) more likely to try to joke away the concern and trust in 'the power of love'. It will be interesting to see how these starting points are affected by events and others' reactions.

Meanwhile, I think we can confirm that what we've seen in earlier comics is confirmed: Faye has met her match in Bubbles' talent for snark and sass!

Apparently so.  I thought that the arms and legs could be detached like the head, but apparently Bubbles chassis is one piece.

I'm not sure about that seam at the bottom of Bubbles' neck; all humanoid chasiss seem to like it no matter how smooth their other joints. It might just be Jeph's artistic short-hand for saying: "This person is a synthetic". However, after the 'FWEEEEE!', I'm suspecting that they're vents from the inside out. Remember, they don't seem to have nostrils and their mouths don't seem to have any connection to plumbing going deeper into their bodies so they must have some way to equalise pressures.

I'm willing to bet that everybody is jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Both Faye and Bubbles admitted they had no idea what they were doing.

I bet nothing happened except one big spooning session.

In support of that, their expressions don't strike me as afterglowish.

IMHO, they've started making out, stripped naked and were so fascinated by what they saw that they stopped the make out and have spent some time just exploring each other's bodies' contours and quirks. Not necessarily in a sexual way just... "Wow! So this is you, huh?"
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

fantasticalice

• Plantmonster
« Reply #107 on: 21 May 2018, 23:55 »

I am still comically new to these forums but as a fan of art museums the abstract nature of that first panel was brilliant. The comic was nice and classy and just that opening panel was like modern art.

And even though Bubbles is an AI I love how she clearly has a darker skin tone than Faye and that it's on display in panel 1. The color difference I mean. There are pieces of modern art about intercultural unity that aren't much more complicated than panel 1 visually.

Dr. ROFLPWN

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Farmin' all these goddamn mushrooms.
« Reply #108 on: 22 May 2018, 00:03 »

so Faye loves Robot D now

good to know
Fuckin' pain in the ass.

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #109 on: 22 May 2018, 00:40 »

There's a sticky about discussing private parts.

Noted, cheers. 
I'll just accept that we know something's happening but we don't know what it is (do we, Mr. Jacques?)
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #110 on: 22 May 2018, 01:15 »

No Steve eating cereal. Not even a Toto reference

Jeph is out to personally troll me it seems

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #111 on: 22 May 2018, 01:19 »

That does make me wonder what Bubbles' favourite Toto song is.  8-)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Staff_Inflection

• Plantmonster
« Reply #112 on: 22 May 2018, 01:24 »

That does make me wonder what Bubbles' favourite Toto song is.  8-)

Exactly, we are missing important details, here.

Also

Meanwhile, I think we can confirm that what we've seen in earlier comics is confirmed: Faye has met her match in Bubbles' talent for snark and sass!

Clearly physically as well.

Faye isn't exactly petite. I don't think Sven or Angus deadlifted her in the air for kisses

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #113 on: 22 May 2018, 02:08 »

I have only one comment on today's comic: Parallel curves...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #114 on: 22 May 2018, 03:23 »

I'm willing to bet that everybody is jumping to the wrong conclusion.

Both Faye and Bubbles admitted they had no idea what they were doing.

I bet nothing happened except one big spooning session.

I am willing to put a significant sum of money that "I have no idea what I'm doing" is the most common thing a person will say before losing their virginity.

I mean I feel like both. I don't think things got very explicit yet. Maybe just some light physicality. In their case, I think the "I don't know what I'm doing" is as much logistical as it is emotional. Which, yeah, standard virginity but even if we don't need to know how this works, they do and I'm not sure they do.

Also, I thought Bubbles has been naked since she took her armor off but apparently that 'leotard' is clothing? That makes sense since most of the of AI wear clothes ... except for pintsize. ... hmmm I guess the more humanoid, the more important clothing is?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #115 on: 22 May 2018, 03:28 »

so Faye loves Robot D now

good to know

Do you want to go ahead and explain an appropriate context for this comment, just to make sure that I'm not misunderstanding?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #116 on: 22 May 2018, 03:45 »

1. There is no situation in which that comment is okay. I’m thinking brain diarrhea, because that goes beyond brain fart.

2. Bubbles may not know when she started having feelings for Faye, but we can puzzle it out.

3. Bubbles is not a machine, and she is not a computer. 🙄

4. Obviously Bubbles’ favorite Toto song is Africa.

5. Faye was so thinking “omg this relationship will never work” when she thought Bubbles didn’t know Tetris.😜
« Last Edit: 22 May 2018, 03:53 by fayelovesbubbles »
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #117 on: 22 May 2018, 03:57 »

Faye isn't exactly petite. I don't think Sven or Angus deadlifted her in the air for kisses

No, they never did. I was actually talking to my friend about it. “Neither of her exes did that, but then again they weren’t strong enough to pick her up like that.” 😂

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #118 on: 22 May 2018, 04:12 »

1. There is no situation in which that comment is okay. I’m thinking brain diarrhea, because that goes beyond brain fart.

An unpleasant mental image.

Can I just say that I love your comments in general? It's always fun to see what you have to say.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #119 on: 22 May 2018, 04:23 »

Aw, thanks!

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #120 on: 22 May 2018, 04:25 »

Gotta say that was deeper then I was expecting.  I was waiting for a cut to Marten and Claire in the living room, Faye walking by wrapped in a blanket and coming back with a handful of USB cables back into the bedroom.  Then Bubs coming out wrapped in a towel and then walking back with a plate of waffles and syrup a'la Marigold and Dale lol. 
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #121 on: 22 May 2018, 04:28 »

I wonder if smelling waffles and syrup is as enjoyable as smelling tea.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #122 on: 22 May 2018, 04:39 »

Warm maple syrup, definitely.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #123 on: 22 May 2018, 04:46 »

Off topic, but who’s that guy in your avatar?

I’m probably gonna get some weird looks for this, but Bubbles looks a bit Doonesbury-esque to me in the penultimate panel. It’s probably just me.
« Last Edit: 22 May 2018, 04:58 by fayelovesbubbles »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #124 on: 22 May 2018, 07:30 »

Gotta say that was deeper then I was expecting.  I was waiting for a cut to Marten and Claire in the living room, Faye walking by wrapped in a blanket and coming back with a handful of USB cables back into the bedroom.  Then Bubs coming out wrapped in a towel and then walking back with a plate of waffles and syrup a'la Marigold and Dale lol.

It may yet happen!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Hypersapien

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #125 on: 22 May 2018, 07:34 »

Has it ever been established in the comic if the general public (or any subsection thereof) has any negative attitudes toward humans and AIs being in romantic/sexual relationships with each other?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #126 on: 22 May 2018, 07:38 »

It was established fairly far back (at the time Momo first got her job at the Smif Library) that there is a human subculture that's pretty synthephobic, denouncing the AIs as 'soulless abominations'. I'm sure that sexual relations with AIs would be considered an automatic no-no by that group.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if there are AIs who regard having an intimate relationship with a human as 'demoting yourself to the status of a sex doll' or something similar.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Inconsequential

« Reply #127 on: 22 May 2018, 07:48 »

Beautiful and classy comic. Love the parallel curves.

And yeah, I have to admit one thought that crossed my mind was "Huh! Bubbles is seamless!"

Back at Emily's lake cabin party, Momo mentioned she has a seamless waterproof covering and was even able to go "swimming" (even through she couldn't really float), so Bubbles' "skin" is undoubtedly even more advanced. And apparently feels pretty nice.

Faye is really good at denial and generally being oblivious, and Bubbles is somewhat inexperienced, so it'll be interesting to see to what extent they really understand that everyone already knows. Are they preparing the Arbor Day banner, or are they keeping a safe distance like Pintsize?

Then again, Marten told Faye he's been expecting this for a while, and Dora and Tai even had various "operational codes" prepared for the day when the penny finally dropped. So they already know everyone already knows, you know?

Undrneath

« Reply #128 on: 22 May 2018, 07:58 »

I would guess that the good AI skin like Momo's is visibly identical to human since Sam thought she was human when they first met. I don't know if Bubbles' skin would be as aesthetically designed as Momo's but as far as water resistance and durability it would probably exceed it in most ways.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #129 on: 22 May 2018, 08:11 »

I just googled 'Homburg' and you are exactly right! The hat I thought of as a Derby is actually a Homburg. The most informative article I came across (in my very brief googling) also showed men sitting side by side, wearing basically identical hats. (Without 'dents'). It was the hat I've always thought of as a bowler, but the same hat was described as a Derby in America. Who would've thought hats could be so fascinating ('scuse the pun). I'm not being sarcastic there by the way. It's genuinely interesting stuff. And I learned something today.

I myself wear a Porkpie most of the time and a Trilby occasionally though having wide shoulders I should wear a wider brim hat such as a Fedora but I can't get one locally that I like.
The only fedora I look good in is a widebrimmed one (think Indiana Jones) I'm better off with a flat cap. Any other hats you fellows might be able to recommend based on that? I'm short (5'5", 165cm) and I've got broad shoulders and a barrel chest if that helps any.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Undrneath

« Reply #130 on: 22 May 2018, 08:17 »

A Homburg is generally a good choice, generally the wider the shoulders the wider the brim but rolled brims ie Bowlers and Porkpies can work. If you think you can get away with the slight western aesthetic a Gambler can work.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Gyrre

« Reply #131 on: 22 May 2018, 08:17 »

So Bubbles’s “hip joints” and “arm joints” were just lines in her unitard...

Edit: And also: SQUEEEEEE!

*performs a 'toldja-so' dance*
a real-ass gaddam sword

Deadlywonky

• Furry furrier
  • Homeopathy. The air guitar of medicine.
« Reply #132 on: 22 May 2018, 08:18 »

I would guess that the good AI skin like Momo's is visibly identical to human since Sam thought she was human when they first met. I don't know if Bubbles' skin would be as aesthetically designed as Momo's but as far as water resistance and durability it would probably exceed it in most ways.
Momo and her ilk were designed as companions, Bubbles' 'skin' is probably designed to handle spalling from the armour (and by extension small arms fire), as well as NBC, corrosion and water resistance. Under those requirements realism in either look or feel wouldn't have been a high priority on the design list (think the T600 rubber skin). Maybe it feels like cuddling a damp tarpaulin and Faye isn't ready to say anything.

Also on the hat debate, Panama all the way, for the 'Our Man in Havanna' look.
So two scientists walk into a bar and decide to have a drinking competition, the first scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 please". The second scientist says "I'll have a glass of H20 too"

Naturally the first scientist won.

Gyrre

« Reply #133 on: 22 May 2018, 08:29 »

A Homburg is generally a good choice, generally the wider the shoulders the wider the brim but rolled brims ie Bowlers and Porkpies can work. If you think you can get away with the slight western aesthetic a Gambler can work.

The Gambler will do nicely. No offense, but I'm more likely to wear a Stetson than a Homburg, though I'm not much a fan of either.
a real-ass gaddam sword

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #134 on: 22 May 2018, 09:41 »

The very rude part of me is curious about um...what happened before this pillow talk.

*hides* mods please be gentle.

It's perfectly natural to be curious. I'm curious, too. But I suspect Jeph will treat it much the same as he does Marten and Claire's sex life; the canonical answer is "mind your business". And that's probably for the best.
Indeed. And, given how much effort Jeph has put into avoiding the physical aspects of Carten, I'[m pretty sure we'll never get any answers to FayBles.

And you know what? I'm actually more happy with that than I would be with the other. It doesn't add anything to the story, at least yet.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #135 on: 22 May 2018, 09:54 »

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to ask - or if it's even kosher to do so - just exactly how, um...anatomically correct Bubs is underneath all the armor and stuff. Why would a combat droid even need to be anatomically correct, anyway?

"Need" may be a question of civil rights. Bubbles is a recognized life form with rights, and AIs sometimes have a libido. Even if such equipment is not installed by default, the relevant "expansion slots"* may be a required element, allowing the AI to upgrade later if desired.

*Can't believe I just said that.

As for her current configuration, it doesn't appear immediately relevant to the story. At the moment, both seem happy with the current situation.

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #136 on: 22 May 2018, 09:55 »

The Gambler will do nicely. No offense, but I'm more likely to wear a Stetson than a Homburg, though I'm not much a fan of either.
That reminds me that I need a new hat.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

namelips

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #137 on: 22 May 2018, 10:43 »

We already got a quick primer on how robot sex works, thanks to Faye's sister's girlfriend. Which, frankly, is more than Jeph was obligated to give us. I think we can assume that, one way or another, they'll figure it out.

But that's not necessarily what I think is the interesting thing about robot/human romance...  I'm more interested in things like Bubbles' chassis. Bubbles is an AI, a thinking computer program that can inhabit anything from a toaster to a fighter jet to a humanoid chassis. She has a distinct personality and, no matter what chassis she inhabits, she will always be a distinct and unique being -- Bubbles.

I like to think Faye would love Bubbles no matter what -- but this is an issue unique to human/robot romances. How good are humans at transferring our romantic affection to a new physical form? Bubbles might not want to be a combat bot forever, or her chassis might suffer damage or break down, requiring her to find a new one to live in.

Also, are AIs immortal? Do they face the same issue as Elves from Lord of the Rings -- doomed to watch humans they love slowly age and die? Are robot/human romances doomed to inevitable tragedy?

SpanielBear

« Reply #138 on: 22 May 2018, 11:08 »

We already got a quick primer on how robot sex works, thanks to Faye's sister's girlfriend. Which, frankly, is more than Jeph was obligated to give us. I think we can assume that, one way or another, they'll figure it out.

But that's not necessarily what I think is the interesting thing about robot/human romance...  I'm more interested in things like Bubbles' chassis. Bubbles is an AI, a thinking computer program that can inhabit anything from a toaster to a fighter jet to a humanoid chassis. She has a distinct personality and, no matter what chassis she inhabits, she will always be a distinct and unique being -- Bubbles.

I like to think Faye would love Bubbles no matter what -- but this is an issue unique to human/robot romances. How good are humans at transferring our romantic affection to a new physical form? Bubbles might not want to be a combat bot forever, or her chassis might suffer damage or break down, requiring her to find a new one to live in.

Also, are AIs immortal? Do they face the same issue as Elves from Lord of the Rings -- doomed to watch humans they love slowly age and die? Are robot/human romances doomed to inevitable tragedy?

That reminds me somehow of a lot of the newer Dr Who series, they explored that with the transition between Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi.

I don't think they did it... well. I trust Jeph to be a lot more interesting with the concept.

namelips

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #139 on: 22 May 2018, 11:13 »

That reminds me somehow of a lot of the newer Dr Who series, they explored that with the transition between Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi.

I don't think they did it... well. I trust Jeph to be a lot more interesting with the concept.

Clara didn't handle that well at all. It felt like her character suddenly became shallow.

I did enjoy some of the conversations between The Doctor and Lady Me about immortality and their relationship with humans. It's rare for The Doctor to have anybody to talk about this stuff with.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #140 on: 22 May 2018, 11:25 »

Apparently so.  I thought that the arms and legs could be detached like the head, but apparently Bubbles chassis is one piece.  It seems impractical considering what damage she could sustain even with the armor, but maybe she doesn't need seams.  It's probably an advanced form of robot flesh that can possibly cut into and sealed up without leaving a scar.
From a logistics standpoint it makes perfect sense.
A durable yet compliant and mildly self repairing flexible covering to keep dust and other gunk out of joints and seals.
Damage could be field dressed with patches of the same material until proper repairs or change-outs can be made.

Adding my one point on the question on anatomy is more a question of psychology.
What would be in the uncanny valley zone of creepy otherness and what would be not enough that you would be in the alien among us zone of creepy?
I am not asking for specific answers but more as a thought experiment with regards to the military's original project mission statement.
We know that there are non-humanoid chassis ex Deathbot, that may or may not have been deployed so a humanoid tank is not likely when there are more efficient designs in the system. Mind you a humanoid is far more flexible for deployment in multiple roles even though they would not be as efficient in any one particular role compared to a dedicated system.
The other thing to keep in mind about the military when it comes to experimental systems, they like to play fast and loose with practicality when it comes to development projects.
Cyanoacrylates were originally developed as field sutures and now they are an ubiquitous commodity adhesive product in the consumer market.
So, in my roundabout way, we come to the core question that we can only speculate on an answer for is; what were the actual goals of the project for Bubbles and her chassis design?

You have a way with painting images with words.  :-D
It is something that has gotten me in a bit of trouble at times. :facepalm:

That all really depends on Jeph's latest iteration on what constitutes the core of an AI and just how durable it is over time.

Data without any self repair mechanisms will slowly corrupt over time, dependent on the storage media used.
At one time check bits was all we had and all that could do was raise a flag that "something" was wrong.
Now we have self repair algorythems that are as robust up to the size of the repair blocks generated. Anything larger and you lose the data.
But that is data. How resistant is the active "thingy" that is an AI to corruption and degradation?
Then again the same questions could be leveled at the human consciousness with just as much head-scratching and beer involved. - Bruce
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Tai Fanboi

• DeadWinter
« Reply #141 on: 22 May 2018, 11:34 »

It's kinda simplistic but a buddy of mine in Cowboy Action Shooting described it best.  When it comes to style of hat personal preference is a must but when it comes to matching something to your build, Bonanza has you covered.  Smaller build/frame?  Look for a hat in the styling of Little Joe which is along the lines of the gambler style.  Medium build, medium height?  Look for the hat in the Style of Adam.  Big build, tall?  Hoss or Ben Cartwright style of hat. 
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #142 on: 22 May 2018, 11:40 »

I love this page, very sweet interaction between the two, and I love how he drew the two of them laying together.  However, I am in shock that the bed survived.

Undrneath

« Reply #143 on: 22 May 2018, 11:41 »

All good choices if you are in to the western aesthetic. I myself enjoy a plethora of haberdashery but lately tend towards a more 1940'2 to 1950's style.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Undrneath

« Reply #144 on: 22 May 2018, 11:43 »

Without her armor I think Bubbles wouldn't weigh much more than a human of the same size.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Onionvolcano

• Plantmonster
« Reply #145 on: 22 May 2018, 11:53 »

It's been mentioned that the singularity is well underway.  We've seen very powerful AI characters, and we've seen Emily interact in virtual space with an "induction interface" that seemed to read her thoughts.  How far behind is a fully uploaded human mind?  Faye could simply catch up to Bubbles as a digital consciousness with her own immortal existence.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #146 on: 22 May 2018, 12:14 »

Not meaning to speak ill of Marigold and Dale, but...Bubbles and Faye have not demonstrated the same sort of, uh...how to put this...they haven't given the impression that they have a lifetime of not-having-sex to make up for all at once, nor that they're the types to tunnel vision on an activity just because it feels good, the way that both Dale and Marigold did.

For D&M, it was funny 'cause it made sense, to a degree. For F&B that would've just been...odd (and also undercut a lot of the emotional buildup that Jeph just put a lot of work into creating), so I'd have been pretty surprised by it going that direction, myself. Not that it would be a bad choice, just would've surprised me.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #147 on: 22 May 2018, 12:19 »

About AI changing chassis: I think control/perception is probably pretty easy.  Knock-on effects of having different interactions because people treat the new chassis differently (gender euphoria, etc) are a whole nother story.

I don't know how many people have ever experienced this, but when you become familiar with operating a machine that has articulated joints and grippers or tools at the end of arms and things like that?

The controls don't need to be nearly as "easy" as you'd expect to make the machine operate precisely and fluently.  In fact controls that try to mediate the process too much can be a hindrance.

You can take a crane or a forklift or a scoop bucket or a PTO implement on a tractor or any of a bunch of other things, and just hook them up to the panel of levers next to the cab where each lever just operates one cylinder, and start using it.  You'll be clumsy when you start, and you'll have to stop and think about how to do each operation and what levers that means to pull or push.  But within hours, you'll be using it competently, and within a day or so, fluently.  Without  thinking any more about pulling or pushing the individual levers. 

Most people who drive, have done this with cars so long ago that they don't even remember the process.  You're not thinking about the steering wheel and the gas and the clutch and the brake and the gearshift lever when you drive; you're fluently adjusting course and speed and angle without thinking about exactly how to accomplish each operation.  The same thing works with much much more complicated machinery such as articulated arms.

So I imagine an AI as having ten or twelve "standard control interfaces" the way we have two hands, and each new chassis is handled by a bunch of 'controls' (could be two for a toaster, or a hundred for a humanoid chassis) which the control interfaces can manipulate or switch between as needed.  Once an AI moves in and inhabits the thing, it takes only a little bit of practice to get the hang of running it via those controls, and fluency is just a matter of working it out.

Imagine how natural your car would feel by now if you were driving 24 hours a day and you didn't have distractions like sensory perceptions distinct to your body instead of mediated by the car.  IE, if you could drive, without having to be even aware of your own physical instrumentality as a driver.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #148 on: 22 May 2018, 12:20 »

Pretty sure Faye is Bubbles’ first everything.

Anyway...I think Faye feels pretty good cuddling Bubbles, so we can surmise that she doesn’t feel like wet plastic or whatever.

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #149 on: 22 May 2018, 13:00 »

A question similar to yours is briefly touched upon in the TNG episode The Measure Of A Man.

In short:
A cybernetics expert named Maddox wants to experiment on Data, mostly by disassembling him, which poses the very real threat of Data's destruction. Maddox continuously treats Data like a machine, denying him basic human rights (as displayed, for example, by him entering Data's quarters "unannounced and without permission"). When asked by Picard why he seems to care so little for Data's personhood, Maddox ultimately says this:

"You are imparting Human qualities to it because it looks Human – but I assure you: it is not. If it were a box on wheels I would not be facing this opposition."
- Maddox, to Picard and Louvois
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up