THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 01:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many surrealists does it take to change a light bulb?

Silly rabbi, kicks are for Trids!
- 7 (17.9%)
For transporting mynahs across state lions for immortal porpoises.
- 7 (17.9%)
If the foo shits, wear it.
- 6 (15.4%)
It's a long way to tip a rary.
- 6 (15.4%)
Some people just can't tell a joke.
- 13 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Voting closed: 10 Jun 2018, 21:47

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3756-3760 (4th June to 8th June 2018)  (Read 29136 times)

fantasticalice

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT strips 3756-3760 (4th June to 8th June 2018)
« Reply #150 on: 13 Jun 2018, 02:22 »

Someone is eventually going to yell at me for continuing to make and post these.  :-P

I would never!! If that ever happens just tell me who hurt you!!

I love it. I don't know why but I keep remembering Bill and Heather from Doctor Who. Maybe it's because I just had something come into my head about Bubbles watching series 10 for research.

What's most likely is it's the last time I was truly excited to see a romance play out. And as a big awkward girl I relate to Bubbles in lots of ways that doesn't normally happen with telly romance.

This is why representation is important. I will always get excited to see a well done queer romance on screen. But when there are enough of them we can fins ourselves in them. And having that representation also allows us to enjoy the romance we find most satisfying.

A little OT but I recently was reflecting on the show Torchwood. And it had so many different romamces in it I was able to fully engage and discover my favourite romance. Which just happened to be the only straight one. And it was because there were so many well written representative types of romance that I gravitated to one that personally resonated for me. I rarely get that kind of choice. It's also why Dora is my favourite character even though Faye and bubbles are my favourite romance.

I found this comic in a list of queer webcomics. I did several bits of research as the starting point was not what I expected. I even found some rather snide reddit posts criticising the comic for "Suddenly having so mamy lgbt characters! OMG I'm a judgemental twit!"

He got rather owned but it helped me stick with it and I latched onto Dora. Despite identifying as a lesbian I have fallen in love with a trans bloke in the past and am frequently attracted to those who identify outside of whatever was typed on their birth certificate. Cismen are the only category I have never found myself attracted to except Captain Jack Harkness. Although I'm not sure Cis is even appropriate for him. I think he is his own unique gender his gender is Captain Jack. Alot has to do with a rare gentleness and compassion he shows.

But the point is I very rarely see bisexual characters done right. And Dora has always had this freeing self confidence about heraelf and who she is that I really like.

I guess my point is when representation is there you can experience your likes and dislikes naturally. Being able to say that  lgbt relationship 1C is not your favourite is just as empowering as saying Bubbles and Faye ia your new favourite relationship across all media.

Honestly it's why the only books I read are Doctor Who because I kmow as a whole I am represented and Doctor Who books are also not about romance. Fun OT Fact: if the show had not gone off the air Ace was going to be written as a lesbian. in 1990!

I would likely read a QC book though! As odd as a print adventure would be I would read it.

But I really love how this comic has so many different types of romance and presents them organically and not clunky. I like the favt that I like Faye and Bubbles because I identify with Bubbles and she's with another girl. There ars a wealth of romance in QC and queer characters and queer romance a plenty.

It's nice to enjoy a romance on its own merits. It's not something I get to do very often:)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #151 on: 13 Jun 2018, 07:41 »

QC is in book form. Mostly anime style, of course, but...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #152 on: 13 Jun 2018, 08:42 »

s/anime/manga

;)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

anuran

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up