THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: May and Momo.  (Read 15099 times)

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
May and Momo.
« on: 04 Jun 2018, 15:19 »

Does anyone else absolutely love the dynamic between the two? Especially when May says something that makes Momo blush like crazy. May really enjoys shocking her.

May is one of my favorite characters, I think she's so awesome. I really enjoy this unlikely friendship.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: May and Momo.
« Reply #1 on: 04 Jun 2018, 15:58 »

Not least because it's broadened Momo's mind.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jun 2018, 16:00 »

Not least because it's broadened Momo's mind.

It definitely has. And I think May has benefited too. Maybe Momo helps her be a little less rough around the edges, although Dale has done wonders where that's concerned. Dale is probably the first friend May ever had.

She shows her love with the fart app.  :lol:

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jun 2018, 16:25 »

Yep, it's a fantastic friendship, and lots of fun to watch the interactions. We learn a lot about AIs from their conversations.

It's also great how Dale, Marigold, and Momo (and Faye, for that matter) have come to accept that May is very observant and insightful despite her foul mouth, and generally trust her advice and observations.

Somewhat the same for Pintsize -- in his rare serious moments, everyone seems to accept he actually knows what the hell he's talking about. As Claire said "He may be a horrible little robot, but he's not an asshole!".

One thing I love about the QC universe is that the AIs are genuinely bizarre in their own ways, with their own twisted senses of humor, and parts of their own personalities they don't understand themselves. A sentient being that really understood itself and did everything logically would be really, really boring, and wouldn't really fit in to human society very well at all. It might not even be truly sentient without some unpredictable "animal" component.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #4 on: 04 Jun 2018, 16:27 »

I am hoping May is able to convince Momo that Sven is, in fact, a shithead. She's working on it.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #5 on: 04 Jun 2018, 17:56 »

I am hoping May is able to convince Momo that Sven is, in fact, a shithead. She's working on it.

I have to disagree that Sven is a shithead. Yeah, he hurt Faye's feelings by sleeping with another but he never promised monogamy - he pretty much admitted he couldn't/wouldn't do that. And he told her even though he could have gotten away with lying and it lead to him suffering as a result because he knew that matter to Faye.

Yeah confessing his love may have been selfish but it would have been a rom com if Faye had reciprocated. He's not a bad guy and I'd like to see him more. Character growth would be great but I don't want a character change.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #6 on: 04 Jun 2018, 18:32 »

If we can agree that May possesses great insight, and we have seen the way she talks to Sven, I think we can be pretty sure that she's right about him. And I agree with her.

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jun 2018, 19:02 »

Aw yeah, May is one of my favorite characters, not least because of her bluntness. Trying to play mind games to figure out what people are thinking or feeling ("don't worry about it"...) is a lot more stressful than just getting yelled at "FUCK OFF COCKSTINKER" lol. And she's a lot of fun too. Maybe jerkasses attract.

Momo is...harder to read. I mean I don't dislike her, I like all the characters but...she's not really at the top of my list.

But together the shenanigans are one of the best in the comic. Especially since Momo is one of the few who can credibly restrain May (Dale can temper her very worst an account of giving her a place to stay).

As for Sven...while he's one of the lower-quality characters, the worst I ever remember him was at the very beginning, bullying Marten into helping him escape from someone he ditched. Seemed more like a generic shallow cad than a real monster.

...Does Marigold still have Sven's book? For the longest time I thought for sure that was going to end up with them hooking up and I was going "WHAAAAAAT".

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #8 on: 04 Jun 2018, 19:19 »

I feel bad for Dora having this gross embarrassing brother that she can't get away from. Faye can get rid of him, all the women he dates can get rid of him, but Dora is stuck being his sister for the rest of her life.  :-(

I totally supported her decision to cut him out of her life.

I am so grateful that my brothers are decent people. I'd be mortified if either of them behaved as Sven has.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #9 on: 04 Jun 2018, 19:51 »

I also absolutely love the relationship between May and Dale. May will always be blunt and honest with him, telling him how dumb he was to tell Marigold that Emily was prettier than her "objectively." Dale won't get away with any bullshit with May around, and Dale helps May remember that there are people in the world who care about her. He was supportive when she dealt with anti AI discrimination when she was looking for work. May also takes zero bullshit from people who treat AIs badly and say "oh, we don't hire robots."

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #10 on: 04 Jun 2018, 20:25 »

Love that girl!  :laugh:

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #11 on: 04 Jun 2018, 21:03 »

People can and do change. And Sven is trying. Mind you, I'm not saying I ever want to see him get together with Momo (and May probably wouldn't stand for it either). Momo's far too innocent, and he's far too... not. But it's wrong to write off his future simply because he was shitty in his past.
When, in the course of human events,
You can keep your head when all about you
Took the one less traveled by,
It's up to you to cremate those last remains.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #12 on: 04 Jun 2018, 23:22 »

May only knows Sven as 'that guy we've seen a few times in the coffee shop that makes Momo all hot and flustered'. I doubt that she knows of his history (or would care much if she did).
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jun 2018, 04:15 »

If we can agree that May possesses great insight.

These are, I believe separate issues since despite a small interaction Sven and May for the most part have had stories that ddidn't intersect way more than they did.

However, I will add that I actually am not a huge fan of May at all. I don't hate her or even dislike her and her stories are compelling to read. But her awful treatment of Winslow moving from a chassis that kept him essentially home-bound to one that allowed him to live a more engaging life has soured my impression of her, especially her non-apology to his "owner" rather than to him, acknowledging him as person.

I do feel for her plight surrounding her own body but even her chassis that was falling apart was in ways more serviceable that Winslow's and she acted like he was getting a frivolous upgrade due to wealth. 

Her crass nature doesn't make her a bad person but after awhile it just gets annoying. I'm still invested in her story but she's not on my top list of wise characters or characters I love to see. I really like her interactions with Faye when she got her face redone. I'd like to see that side of her more, especially earning the money to get it done and less of her yelling at people and making dick jokes. She can still do those things of course but just my references.

Also, I'm not arguing for Sven + Momo. I'd like Sven to get his own arc, separate from what's been going on.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #14 on: 05 Jun 2018, 04:48 »

May only knows Sven as 'that guy we've seen a few times in the coffee shop that makes Momo all hot and flustered'. I doubt that she knows of his history (or would care much if she did).

She knows he's an asshole, which is really all anyone needs to. She may not know about his history but can sense that he's kind of a scumbag.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #15 on: 05 Jun 2018, 04:51 »

To be honest, I sympathized with May. I don't agree at all with how she treated Winslow. It was shitty. But I work for 11 dollars an hour at the age of 34 while I watch 21 year olds jet off to Europe, so saying I know how May feels is a bit of an understatement.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jun 2018, 05:04 »

She knows he's an asshole, which is really all anyone needs to. She may not know about his history but can sense that he's kind of a scumbag.

Does she 'know' or is she just being defensive for a friend who has a crush and being rightfully suspicious of a guy who is very obviously a smooth operator? I think that you're projecting your omniscient audience perspective onto the characters in-universe.
~~~~

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jun 2018, 07:32 »

Personally I think you're a bit harsh on Sven. Yes he is (or at least was) a dick with asshole-ish behavior in how he treated women, but I would mostly ascribe that to always having gotten what he wanted and general shallowness that came along with it. Not an excuse of course, but a reason.
I would absolutely not characterize him as inherently bad. He has clearly shown a lot of growth in his behavior and general attitude towards people/women. He has generally been very supportive and kind with his sister, plus let's not forget his kindness towards Hanners. Hanners clearly thinks of Sven as a good person overall, and to me her assessment counts for quite a lot.

I agree with BenRG that May hasn't really had enough interactions with Sven to really be able to characterize him. At most she could have sensed him to be a smooth talker (which he is or at least still comes across as I'm sure) and acted from a protective mode towards Momo.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jun 2018, 08:38 »

A lot of what makes us as readers dislike Sven is while we can see he is making progress he is still incredibly selfish. I agree that he isn't really a bad guy, but that doesn't really make him good yet. He may eventually get there and he seems to want to, he just has a lot of history to grow past.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #19 on: 05 Jun 2018, 08:54 »

A lot of what makes us as readers dislike Sven is while we can see he is making progress he is still incredibly selfish. I agree that he isn't really a bad guy, but that doesn't really make him good yet. He may eventually get there and he seems to want to, he just has a lot of history to grow past.

Thank you. I see no growth and no change in him at all.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #20 on: 05 Jun 2018, 09:01 »

I have seen growth just not much, and since he is a tertiary character at best that change will either be offscreen or extremely slow.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #21 on: 05 Jun 2018, 09:36 »

Being nice sometimes is not growth.

I am happy with his status as tertiary character.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #22 on: 05 Jun 2018, 14:33 »

To be honest, I sympathized with May. I don't agree at all with how she treated Winslow. It was shitty. But I work for 11 dollars an hour at the age of 34 while I watch 21 year olds jet off to Europe, so saying I know how May feels is a bit of an understatement.

Yeah, she had a sympathetic position. I don't deny that. But her behavior was still wrong and for me personally, it's soured my view a bit.

Your description of Sven in other comments is actually making me a little uncomfortable. I suppose I was just as harsh on Tilly so glass houses but you just keep saying that he's scum over and over and that he hasn't made in any change without even giving examples.

I strongly disagree on your stance on him but and I'm going to leave it at that because I sense this is going to go in circles and also the topic is about May and Momo.

So, let me add that Momo is one of the best characters in my opinion. Kind and responsible is often underrated but I think in addition to these things she is practical and down to earth. There's not tragedy in her story (that we know of) that makes her story super compelling but she's always a nice touch to a strip.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #23 on: 05 Jun 2018, 17:36 »

Sorry. I just really dislike him. In all fairness, the people who picked on me in high school, 16 years ago, will always be scum to me. So I'm not very forgiving, and some things are unforgivable in my mind, no matter how much time passes.

I don't really understand being harsh on Tilly. Sure they were annoying, but they were just a kid excited about a possible new job. They didn't have a mean or malicious bone in their body, they were just excited. So I guess I don't understand that either.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2018, 20:44 by fayelovesbubbles »

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #24 on: 05 Jun 2018, 19:18 »

With Faye's luck, Angus will roll back into town with some grandiose speech about how she's the love of his life and he can't live without her and of course a marriage proposal. *eyeroll*

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #25 on: 05 Jun 2018, 20:21 »

I don't really understand being harsh on Tilly. Sure she was annoying, but she was just a kid excited about a possible new job. She didn't have a mean or malicious bone in her body, she was just excited. So I guess I don't understand that either.
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but when Tilly arrived, they were supposed to be Hannelore's "personal assistant", and yet they thought it was okay to completely ignore Hannelore's wishes, requests, and even demands that she did not need one. In my opinion, for anyone - but especially a personal assistant - to ignore someone's boundaries like that, for no better reason than "I was instructed to do so," is just plain rude. I suspect that for a lot of readers, that made Tilly (not to mention Beatrice) instantly despicable. Sure, they were excited about a new job for a corporate overlord, but any decent person would have questioned those orders, even if only in their own mind. Once the boundaries were understood and (for the most part) respected, I didn't dislike Tilly nearly as much. I still found their overall personality grating, but at least I could tolerate them.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #26 on: 05 Jun 2018, 20:45 »

Eeep! I completely used the wrong pronouns. Sorry, everyone.

I get that Tilly definitely crossed some lines that weren't okay to cross. They should have respected Hannelore's wishes, I get that. But I don't see how they're anywhere near as awful as Sven.

People can be uncomfortable about me disliking Sven. I guess I'm a little mystified as to why anyone is bothered by me not liking him, he's such an irrelevant presence in the comic.

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #27 on: 05 Jun 2018, 21:09 »

Eeep! I completely used the wrong pronouns. Sorry, everyone.

I get that Tilly definitely crossed some lines that weren't okay to cross. They should have respected Hannelore's wishes, I get that. But I don't see how they're anywhere near as awful as Sven.

People can be uncomfortable about me disliking Sven. I guess I'm a little mystified as to why anyone is bothered by me not liking him, he's such an irrelevant presence in the comic.
It's not the fact that you dislike him. You're entitled to your opinion. It's just that you keep bringing it up - or at least it seems that way. It gets old.

No, Tilly was never as bad as Sven was. But that's just it... was. He's trying to change. He's not whoring around like he used to. Fine, he hasn't made a lot of progress, but he's got a huge load of personal crap to try and turn around. It's going to take him a while. An aircraft carrier doesn't turn on a dime. Just give him some time. That's all I ask.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #28 on: 05 Jun 2018, 21:13 »

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that saying you dislike someone more than once was a problem.

There was a time when I really disliked Faye. It sounds awful but her hospitalization and
getting sober and her eventual relationship with Bubbles has made her much more likable to me.

Jeph has said that he sometimes really does not like Faye. I wonder if his feelings toward her have changed at all. Unlike Sven, I think she HAS really grown as a person.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #29 on: 05 Jun 2018, 21:16 »

Thank you for going back and fixing the pronouns!

May offered to be Hannelore's bodyguard early on. Momo is friends with her and would make a respectful personal assistant. The dynamics of that would be interesting.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #30 on: 05 Jun 2018, 21:17 »

Thank you for going back and fixing the pronouns!

May offered to be Hannelore's bodyguard early on. Momo is friends with her and would make a respectful personal assistant. The dynamics of that would be interesting.

I am actually very embarrassed for the error and grateful that someone posted after me with the correct pronouns, without chastising me too harshly.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #31 on: 10 Jun 2018, 11:23 »

May and Momo have complementary strengths. When they can find a way to work together they're an effective team.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #32 on: 10 Jun 2018, 18:06 »

I shall actively ship Sven + Tortura.  She will use him and discard him when duty calls her away.  ("You are not bad man, Sven, but you are not good man either.  You are good only good for fuck, like flesh dildo.  'Shallow,' I think, is right English word.") 

The experience will be both richly deserved punishment and the catalyst to his transformation and acquisition of some depth to his soul.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #33 on: 10 Jun 2018, 18:21 »

What thread did you mean to post that in?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #34 on: 10 Jun 2018, 20:10 »

What thread did you mean to post that in?
Ackk!

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #35 on: 11 Jun 2018, 13:17 »

With Faye's luck, Angus will roll back into town with some grandiose speech about how she's the love of his life and he can't live without her and of course a marriage proposal. *eyeroll*

Nah, it really worked out for the best for both Faye and Angus. He was freed to work on his career and his dreams, Faye was freed to work on herself (or at least hit rock bottom and decide to live).

I've been wondering when Faye or someone in the gang is going to spot Angus on TV.

mgrayson3

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #36 on: 11 Jun 2018, 14:21 »

And Bubbles will lift him up to her eye level and ask him if he would rather return to NY by train or by ballistic trajectory.
"If your love life requires close air support, something has gone very wrong." QC#3670

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #37 on: 11 Jun 2018, 14:26 »

FWIW, a while ago, I plotted out a fanfic where Faye creates some sculpture that ends up in a local art exhibition for one reason or another. It creates enough of an Internet sensation that Angus (in his first big break) is assigned by the show's producers to do a satirical report on the piece and the artist.

Angus has to confront Faye and has to confront both his own bitterness at the suddenness of their break-up and at the nature of his 'replacement'. That's even before he has to confront his mixed feelings about being assigned to mock Faye and her big break on a nationally-syndicated comedy show.
~~~~

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #38 on: 11 Jun 2018, 17:47 »

FWIW, a while ago, I plotted out a fanfic where Faye creates some sculpture that ends up in a local art exhibition for one reason or another. It creates enough of an Internet sensation that Angus (in his first big break) is assigned by the show's producers to do a satirical report on the piece and the artist.

Angus has to confront Faye and has to confront both his own bitterness at the suddenness of their break-up and at the nature of his 'replacement'. That's even before he has to confront his mixed feelings about being assigned to mock Faye and her big break on a nationally-syndicated comedy show.
Wow, that's dark. :)

dutchrvl

« Reply #39 on: 12 Jun 2018, 05:51 »

Ha, not bad at all!
A little too dark for me personally, but I do think that there is a lot of potential for future storylines related to Angus coming back and drama related to that.

At the same time JJ may just decide that Angus having left is enough closure.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #40 on: 12 Jun 2018, 14:30 »

I am fine if Angus never returns.  There isn’t any real need for us to see him again, any more than there is to see Padma or Veronica’s friend who enjoys pleasuring men orally. Irrelevant.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #41 on: 12 Jun 2018, 20:21 »

These are, I believe separate issues since despite a small interaction Sven and May for the most part have had stories that ddidn't intersect way more than they did.

However, I will add that I actually am not a huge fan of May at all. I don't hate her or even dislike her and her stories are compelling to read. But her awful treatment of Winslow moving from a chassis that kept him essentially home-bound to one that allowed him to live a more engaging life has soured my impression of her, especially her non-apology to his "owner" rather than to him, acknowledging him as person.

I do feel for her plight surrounding her own body but even her chassis that was falling apart was in ways more serviceable that Winslow's and she acted like he was getting a frivolous upgrade due to wealth. 

Her crass nature doesn't make her a bad person but after awhile it just gets annoying. I'm still invested in her story but she's not on my top list of wise characters or characters I love to see. I really like her interactions with Faye when she got her face redone. I'd like to see that side of her more, especially earning the money to get it done and less of her yelling at people and making dick jokes. She can still do those things of course but just my references.

Also, I'm not arguing for Sven + Momo. I'd like Sven to get his own arc, separate from what's been going on.

After giving this some thought, I don't understand how someone can be mean to Winslow. He is just so, so sweet and didn't mean any malice at all--he's not capable of it.

I guess I am more like May. But I don't think I could ever be mean to Winslow and make him feel bad. I would feel like shit doing so. At the same time I so understand how difficult it is for May.

I think the other part of it is that while May does have her best friend Dale, they won't ever be as close as Hanners and Winslow are because his first priority is Marigold. That's something that I can tell has been difficult for May. It's difficult when your best friend's partner has to come first.

It's difficult all around. I am like May in that I tend to push people away, which only makes things worse.

But yeah. I will say it. She was a total dick to Winslow and it's not okay. It also makes me see how I must sometimes come across to others. Inside my own head it's just. So. Unfair. But I'm being an asshole. Nobody is inside my head, so they don't see how hard things are for me, they just see a jerk.

Bubbles came to the rescue. :D  I love absolutely everything about this.
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2018, 20:27 by fayelovesbubbles »

cybersmurf

« Reply #42 on: 18 Jun 2018, 04:41 »

Momo is a bit of that "Friendship is magic and wonderful" naive, giving everyone the benefit of the doubt. To her understanding everyone is nice until proven otherwise. She tries not to offend anyone, ever.

May doesn't care much about rules (although she keeps to them), and everyone is an idiot until proven otherwise. She is as blunt as Faye used to be punchy.

Momo and May are polar opposites, but in a way they complement each other. They understand each other's strengths and weaknesses, and if they would make a really decent team. May can say things Momo wouldn't dare say, and Momo can be friendly in a way May would never care to be.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #43 on: 22 Jun 2018, 11:56 »

May also sticks up for Momo and doesn’t let anyone treat her wrong.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #44 on: 22 Jun 2018, 12:41 »

I'd like for May to try to work out what Melon's 'deal' actually is; she drags poor Momo into the mess. The result is the three of them becoming sort-of-friends (the way Momo is sort-of-friends with May). Call it 'The Good, the Bad and the Unquantifiably Weird'!
~~~~

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #45 on: 22 Jun 2018, 19:05 »

I'm under the impression that Melon may have been depressed (or something) at some point and decided to erase major parts of her knowledge and personality, including the knowledge that she'd even made that decision, and start over.  Sort of like a lighter, happier version of suicide....  And, if that actually does turn out to be her 'deal', a decidedly disturbing counterpoint to Bubbles' experience. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #46 on: 22 Jun 2018, 21:14 »

Large electromagnets might just do the trick...

Someting akin to Robot Electroshock Therapy. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #47 on: 23 Jun 2018, 07:29 »

I'm under the impression that Melon may have been depressed (or something) at some point and decided to erase major parts of her knowledge and personality, including the knowledge that she'd even made that decision, and start over.  Sort of like a lighter, happier version of suicide....  And, if that actually does turn out to be her 'deal', a decidedly disturbing counterpoint to Bubbles' experience.
That sounds like some Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind shit. Particularly
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 23 Jun 2018, 23:03 by Theta9 »
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

awgiedawgie

• FIGHT YOU
  • DON'T PANIC
« Reply #48 on: 23 Jun 2018, 18:38 »

Your comment kinda makes me wonder if Melon was an earlier - and considerably less successful - "experiment" by Corpse Witch, where she did a little more than simply partition off some memories. So some of the links between the various parts of her mind are unstable... sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, and sometimes they link to the wrong part entirely. Arthur, of course, knows none of this, and just sees her as innocent, naïve, and adorable.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #49 on: 24 Jun 2018, 07:13 »

I’d say that May and Momo are friends. Not sort of friends.

They are two very different people, but it works out.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up