THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's a [insert gender here] like you doing in a forum like this?  (Read 8545 times)

Meadomancer

• Plantmonster

How did you dudes/dudettes/other-gendered dude equivalents end up on the forums?  Was there a particular comment so compelling you just had to join the conversation?  And for that matter, how'd you end up reading QC?

I started reading because my cousin is a fan, and he talks about the comic a lot.  Pretty much the same with the forum.  He mentioned it a few times, and y'all motherfuckers sounded like cool motherfuckers.  I don't think he posts here anymore, though, he's got some shit going on. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I have no idea what in the comic inspired me to come to the forum.  However, at that time the link to the forum was in the main menu above the comic - it was removed shortly after as the forums were by then becoming more and more toxic.  Of course, that got dealt with a couple of years later ;), but the forum link has remained obscure ever since.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.

I saw the link to the forum at the bottom of the page. I have known several comics that use a separate forum rather than having a comment section so I went looking for one. I was actually motivated to do so by Dumbing of Age. There are some really wonderful people in Willis's comment section and some great conversations, but the format is an absolute cluster and those conversations are quickly buried by the usual tripe; people repeating the punchline of the comic, people shipping any two people or objects that have ever appeared in the same panel, people calling the artist a hack, etc. When I saw Jeph handled delicate issues (like Claire and Marten's relationship) I thought, "Jeph seems like a very cool guy who would attract a great audience. It's a shame he doesn't have a comment section." Then I found the forum and I was super right about the audience (and very wrong about the comment section).

I think the fact that you have to go looking for the forum is a big part of why the community here is so great. You have to do a little work to get started and that immediately cuts down on the drive-by vandalism. And smaller crowds means the mods can be much more effective at keeping a lid on things while also being regular members who can chat with us without having to wear the moderator hat at all times.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I don't really remember. I saw the link on the QC page. Read for a bit. Decided to chip in at some point. And here we are. I've learned a lot, so I'm glad I stopped by.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

HughYeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye

Just the other day I searched my Facebook stream and found when I discovered QC: February 7, 2011 - strip 1855.

I followed the strip with great enjoyment, buying some merchandise over the years. Then I met Bubbles, and QC became something more to me. I'm a 48-year-old white cishet dude. I know the relationship between Bubbles and Faye isn't meant for me, at least not primarily. Yet it has touched me and resonated in me more deeply that anything in recent memory. There are reasons why, but I suppose it would be tl;dr for this thread. Suffice it to say that I've been struggling with sadness and anxiety during the last few years, and the beautiful relationship between those two helped me reconnect with how much I love my wife, and why I fell in love with her in the first place. It touched me so deeply that, for the first time, I finished and posted a piece of fan fiction. I came here because someone on Patreon told me there was a fanfic thread. Aside from sharing that fanfic, I'm getting to know the boards and striving to contribute positively.
"Is that why you checked for my armor?"
"I-I was scared you left. I knew you wouldn't go anywhere without it."
"I would never leave unless you asked me to."
"I would never ask you to."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I have no idea. But somewhat hilariously this forum was an overwhelmingly negative influence on my life for a good few years and then 2012 onwards became one of the most positive ones.

And now I'm a mod, fer chrissakes.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU

#lifegoals

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce

I stumbled onto the forum because I finished the first read-through of the comic and I like forums, and I was lurking for a while because everyone here is very clever and insightful. Then the discussion in the weekly comic thread turned towards something I felt I could contribute to, and while interacting with you all discovered everyone is super kind and welcoming as well. I don't really leave places filled with people  like that if I can help it.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

#lifegoals

We often need more people. Keep your nose clean and see what happens.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor

I've been here... six months short of ten years? Goddamn. That somehow puts me in the top 10 oldest still active members. How did that happen?

Well, back in my late teens I was discovering this wonderful world of webcomics and tried to find whether there were any communities attached to them, and found the forum link front and center on the QC homepage, and I went to register. It seemed like a nice place. Every other webcomic forum I visited was either not as active or not as accessible, so I stuck around here. I wasn't initially very invested as being seen as a part of the community but y'all have grown on me.

That, and I honestly do not have anything better to do.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU

I'm not actually fishing for a spot on the mod team (as awesome as that would be). I am, however, enamored of the idea of being such a positive influence on a community that they would trust you to be part of the team that helps shape it into a positive experience for others. In a community like this one, that would be high praise indeed.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I'm not actually fishing for a spot on the mod team (as awesome as that would be). I am, however, enamored of the idea of being such a positive influence on a community that they would trust you to be part of the team that helps shape it into a positive experience for others. In a community like this one, that would be high praise indeed.

I didn't think you were angling for one. I volunteered because they were short of people, honestly, and it wouldn't be something that would happen soon when you're relatively new a presence anyway. And as you say, even being asked is a compliment!

Alex C

• comeback tour!

I legit can't remember.
the ship has Dr. Pepper but not Mr. Pibb; it's an absolute goddamned travesty

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

A friend of my wife's recommended the strip to me about the time Steve shaved his scrotum. I followed the forum link but didn't register at first. For some reason the forum was set up at that time so that the weekly comic discussion was only visible to logged-in members, so I made an account and started posting.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: [1]   Go Up