THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who will be the second couple to get married in the regular cast?

Jim and Veronica
- 28 (49.1%)
Wil and Penelope
- 7 (12.3%)
Dale and Marigold
- 1 (1.8%)
Marten and Claire
- 4 (7%)
Dora and Tai
- 2 (3.5%)
Some combination of Brun, Clinton, and Elliot
- 3 (5.3%)
Argyle argon argonaut
- 2 (3.5%)
Steve and Cosette
- 10 (17.5%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: 16 Jun 2018, 19:02

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 11-15 June 2018 (3761-3765)  (Read 42247 times)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
Re: WCDT: 11-15 June 2018 (3761-3765)
« Reply #50 on: 11 Jun 2018, 06:15 »

Faye could always get a new one. Topataco still sells them.

:D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

HughYeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #51 on: 11 Jun 2018, 06:29 »

Faye could always get a new one. Topataco still sells them.

:D

Indeed. I picked mine up just two weeks ago, when Faybles was touching me so deeply that I felt the urge to grab some merch and throw a few bucks Jeph's way. Here's a shot from last week of me in the shirt at Grand Central.
"Is that why you checked for my armor?"
"I-I was scared you left. I knew you wouldn't go anywhere without it."
"I would never leave unless you asked me to."
"I would never ask you to."

BlueFatima

« Reply #52 on: 11 Jun 2018, 07:54 »

I really do think that Faye is a messed-up kid and I really do think that she has serious problems with believing that others approve of her choices (or of her in general).

A very important part of becoming an adult is stop giving a fart about approval from others—even friends. I have come to the realization recently that many people have difficulty outgrowing this, though, and that can hold one back—especially if they have stupid or malicious friends.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #53 on: 11 Jun 2018, 08:01 »

Bubbles, now that you and Faye are together, you need to work on not making Marten pee his pants every time you touch him. How about a nice, normal invention known as "the hug"?

Oh and psst--more evidence that AIs don't consider "robot" offensive.

Actually more evidence that Bubbles doesn't. Me being okay with the word 'queer' over and over again isn't more evidence of other queers being okay with it.

I'm pretty sure that racist, homophobic and ableist slurs wouldn't be okay from a lover or a friend, so I'm not sure that applies. If "robot" was an offensive term, it would definitely ruin their relationship.

Nope. In my limited friendship group words like this are thrown around freely to and by people by minority groups as an indication of it as being a safe space for all of us where that prejudice is not a real worry.

I think we can agree that "robot" is not an offensive word.

Nope. But then I don't have any investment in the discussion so you're unlikely to get me to a decision either way.

Not much to say about the comic otherwise, but... okay, comparing Marten's (positive) impact to the conference of Yalta kinda rubs me the wrong way, with me being Polish and all.

For those who don't know, the prevailing Polish sentiment about what happened in Yalta is basically "Poland got screwed over by the West and basically shoved into USSR's loving arms". It has the connotations of our nation's history being decided FOR us, with world superpowers dividing Europe as they saw fit, despite the fact that we were the first country to fight Nazi Germany and such.

I'm aware the political reality of the time was much more complex, but comparing something that led to Faye and Bubbles being a couple with what led to Poland being stuck as a Soviet satellite country for the next 40+ years...

...to me, the implications are troubling at best.

The comic's fine otherwise, but this part is just, UGH.

EDIT: not to mention the redrawing of Polish eastern border. Which is a much more complicated issue (what with the people living in pre-partition Eastern Poland being nations other than Poles, which Poland for the most part always failed to acknowledge), but with the end result being that those nations got swallowed whole into USSR... yeah, Yalta sucked for pretty much ALL of Eastern Europe.

EDIT 2: this article sums up the issue pretty well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_betrayal

This is an unfortunate aspet of such historical events. They may smart for some, and not for others. They say tragedy plus time equals comedy, but obviously this won't be true for everybody.

I really do think that Faye is a messed-up kid and I really do think that she has serious problems with believing that others approve of her choices (or of her in general).

A very important part of becoming an adult is stop giving a fart about approval from others—even friends. I have come to the realization recently that many people have difficulty outgrowing this, though, and that can hold one back—especially if they have stupid or malicious friends.

I'd call this an oversimplification. I think it's more like being an adult is knowing when to give a fart about what people think.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BlueFatima

« Reply #54 on: 11 Jun 2018, 08:28 »

I'd call this an oversimplification. I think it's more like being an adult is knowing when to give a fart about what people think.

Perhaps I should have clarified. I mean not giving a fart about what people think when you do things for yourself that bring you happiness (even if it makes you seem "unusual") and brings no harm to others. I have had to recently prune an entire friend group who didn't get it. They brought misery to themselves and their families, and they were total energy vampires to hang out with. Lots of obsessing about looking "perfect" in front of each other and judging others—all because they were worried about being "accepted."

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #55 on: 11 Jun 2018, 08:30 »

From what I’ve seen of Faye, she doesn’t care much about how most people think about her. But Marten is one person whose good opinion she absolutely must have. Fortunately Marten is probably the most uncritically supportive person in her entire life. He is open-minded about relationships and truly just wants to see Faye happy, so he has zero problems with Faye & Bubbles.

theMarc

• Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #56 on: 11 Jun 2018, 09:03 »

Hi. I know I don't post often, but I just wanted to pop in and make sure everyone was aware that panel #2 of today's comic is the greatest thing ever. Faye's uncertainty, Martin's enthusiastic support, and especially Bubbles's matter-of-fact stating that she is, in fact, the robot girlfriend being referred to, all of it is perfect.

That is all. As you were.
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #57 on: 11 Jun 2018, 09:52 »

I rate Marten's response as open acceptance rather than enthusiastic support.

That's a good thing and was good for Faye and Bubbles but I think the occasion called for leaping forward to hug them and saying "I'm so happy for you!".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #58 on: 11 Jun 2018, 10:33 »

Actually, adults don't fart. ever.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #59 on: 11 Jun 2018, 10:47 »

I rate Marten's response as open acceptance rather than enthusiastic support.

That's a good thing and was good for Faye and Bubbles but I think the occasion called for leaping forward to hug them and saying "I'm so happy for you!".

I actually interpreted his response as quite enthusiastic too. Plus, in my personal environment I don't think I have ever experienced leaping forward and hugging after announcing the start of dating (usually those are reserved for announcements of engagement and/or pregnancy).

Plus Marten is not really the type to do that anyway. This is pretty much as enthusiastic as you're likely to get out of him.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #60 on: 11 Jun 2018, 11:16 »

That poor shirt will never be the same.  I am surprised it could stretch enough to fit Bubbles.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #61 on: 11 Jun 2018, 11:22 »

Marten is not really the type to do that anyway. This is pretty much as enthusiastic as you're likely to get out of him.

Agreed. Tai or Claire might leap and hug, but not Marten. He might blow a party favor, but I think that's as far as he'd go.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #62 on: 11 Jun 2018, 11:58 »

A might fine accusation from someone with 'bottoms' in their username!

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #63 on: 11 Jun 2018, 12:28 »

From what I’ve seen of Faye, she doesn’t care much about how most people think about her. But Marten is one person whose good opinion she absolutely must have. Fortunately Marten is probably the most uncritically supportive person in her entire life. He is open-minded about relationships and truly just wants to see Faye happy, so he has zero problems with Faye & Bubbles.
^^^THIS^^^

A rising inflection at the end of a sentence is as tonal as the English language gets, and it indicates an interrogative (Sister Mary Grammar would be surprised that I remember that).  Typically IRL when it shows up at the end of a declarative sentence it indicates that the speaker is uncertain as to the response they'll receive.  You're spot on Zeb.  In contrast to her "Do I Look Like I Give A Fornicate?" attitude towards anyone else's opinion, Faye values Marty's almost beyond measure (although she may be loathe to admit it once her vision clears).
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2018, 21:59 by OldGoat »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #64 on: 11 Jun 2018, 13:22 »

Also of note: either Faye has developed water-themed super-powers or Hannelore accidentally left one of hannerdad’s auto-refilling glasses downstairs; Faye’s cup goes from ľ to ˝ to completely full between panels.
It could also be a subtle artistic mirror of her emotional state too…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #65 on: 11 Jun 2018, 14:37 »

I'm pretty sure that racist, homophobic and ableist slurs wouldn't be okay from a lover or a friend, so I'm not sure that applies. If "robot" was an offensive term, it would definitely ruin their relationship.

I think we can agree that "robot" is not an offensive word.
It may be more like african-american vs black, or LGBT vs queer, or Chinese vs asian. One is gnerally more informal than the other and which is better may depend on the speaker, referrent and context.

Milayna

« Reply #66 on: 11 Jun 2018, 14:47 »

I have to say that, given the difference in size between Faye and Bubbles, brasca must be right about Faye having accidentally ordered an XXXL once and having never returned it. Her normal Angry Bear would be practically skin-tight on Bubbles!

Skin-tight? I can't even wrangle into my shirts from 10 years ago anymore and I'm...only 50 pounds heavier. From 120. I mean...well I ain't a 7 foot tall valkyrie, anyway. Point is Faye --> Bubbles is a MUCH bigger change.

Milayna

« Reply #67 on: 11 Jun 2018, 15:04 »

Wait so does this mean baked beans are the secret of eternal youth

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #68 on: 11 Jun 2018, 15:18 »

They are reported to be good for your heart. :D

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #69 on: 11 Jun 2018, 15:37 »

A might fine accusation from someone with 'bottoms' in their username!

I'm an expert

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #70 on: 11 Jun 2018, 16:28 »

Since some folks here and on the Patreon board enjoy putting a soundtrack to their Faybles headcanon, I thought it would be fun to make a Faybles playlist on Spotify. Tell me your songs, and what they mean to you, and I'll add them. There seems to be no way to add notes to a Spotify playlist, so I guess I could put our "liner notes" in a separate thread, or on my blog or whatever.

Here's the link to the playlist.
https://open.spotify.com/user/1242387969/playlist/65JeWEJnPqWTAQzN1UoOMi?si=QaCdyniI

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #71 on: 11 Jun 2018, 17:59 »

I voted Wil and Penelope since it seems like a tidy way to write them out.

Bubbles is definitely wearing Faye’s shirt, but I don’t know how it could fit unless she mistakenly ordered a 3X by mistake and never returned it.

Unstable molecules.
No, that's Bubble's sweatshirt.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #72 on: 11 Jun 2018, 18:19 »

Comic's up!

No Booty Dance? No Booty Dance!!!!!?????

*Breathes in long and deep*

HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #73 on: 11 Jun 2018, 18:26 »

I was really looking forward to that dance.

Although Bubbles might inadvertently bring down the building if she did a booty dance, so perhaps discretion is the best course.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #74 on: 11 Jun 2018, 18:58 »

Yes booty dance!!!
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #75 on: 11 Jun 2018, 18:58 »

Every time you say booty dance, a Bubbles blushes. Please, think of the Bubbles!!!!

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #76 on: 11 Jun 2018, 19:06 »

Faye, you know perfectly well that you and Bubbles did a bit more than just smoochin.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #77 on: 11 Jun 2018, 19:11 »

Tai will probably show up with confetti too. *lol*

The blushes are ADORABLE.  :-D

TheEvilDog

« Reply #78 on: 11 Jun 2018, 19:22 »

Bubbles won't do the booty dance?

She's jinxed it.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #79 on: 11 Jun 2018, 19:29 »

To be fair, Bubbles might cause widespread property damage with that booty if she did dance. So perhaps this is for the best.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #80 on: 11 Jun 2018, 19:32 »

Nothing stopping Faye from performing the necessary booty dance.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Undrneath

« Reply #81 on: 11 Jun 2018, 19:38 »

I just saw that Faye was wearing that shirt when Bubbles asked her to help remove her armor.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #82 on: 11 Jun 2018, 19:39 »

To be fair, Bubbles might cause widespread property damage with that booty if she did dance. So perhaps this is for the best.

So then she can just whip her hair back and for--oh...right.

Never mind.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #83 on: 11 Jun 2018, 20:55 »

But you should *see* what she can do with her hips...

Gyrre

« Reply #84 on: 11 Jun 2018, 21:05 »

If I'm not mistaken, the Nazarene lifted its ban on dancing with the stipulation that any dancing done be modest and non-sexual.

I know part of the reason dancing and alcohol were banned by the Wesleyan denominations was that balls (the party) were thrown as a way for the rich to flaunt their wealth and, in some respects, to thumb their noses at the poor.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #85 on: 11 Jun 2018, 21:07 »

She's jinxed it.

Did she? Every booty dance we've seen has been for a relationship that ultimately fell apart.  :-P

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #86 on: 11 Jun 2018, 21:37 »

Aw, no booty dance? Boo-urns!
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Undrneath

« Reply #87 on: 11 Jun 2018, 21:42 »

She's jinxed it.

Did she? Every booty dance we've seen has been for a relationship that ultimately fell apart.  :-P

Not Marigold.
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #88 on: 11 Jun 2018, 21:59 »

I think it was pwhodges who pointed out that every relationship falls apart unless someone dies.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #89 on: 11 Jun 2018, 22:37 »

Dancing is Forbidden
Although I think Faye probably bought Bubbles a 5X size version of her shirt as a gift she was going to give to her later, but decided now was a better time and presented it to her off panel it might get ripped if she gets carried away by the music.  For the best really.  She'd probably feel really bad about destroying a gift Faye got her and react badly. 

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #90 on: 11 Jun 2018, 23:43 »

Someone, maybe Faye or even Pintsize, should have given Bubbles a cheat sheet so that she knew the relationship protocols for the apartment. That said, from panel 3, I think that this was a nice surprise for her! I'm also thinking that Faye is suddenly realising just how embarrassing all these rituals can be (especially when she is usually the target of them).

Now, I think that we all can agree that Bubbles is going to be her usual stoic self. I'd love it if Faye came across her dancing in a hesitant and uncertain way. Officially that will be 'hip joint recalibration', but Faye will always wonder if that's her girlfriend's version of 'the booty dance'.

I'm guessing that, having got rid of the shrieking bit, Claire will satisfy herself with an excited running jump-hug.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

« Reply #91 on: 11 Jun 2018, 23:57 »

While the Battle Cruiser was indeed cool, I much preferred the mighty Hornetroid.  Not only was it a bug robot aircraft, the box art was done by Ken Kelly, who did album covers for Kiss and Manowar.

Oh wow, Hornetroid! I vividly remember the feeing of playing with that one. As a concept, it was amazing. As far as playing with it, though, I felt a big letdown, since all you could do with it was flap the wings and squirt water.
I could feel the letdown just looking it up on an image search.

Granted, my childhood straddled the 80s and the 90s, so I got the Insectoids Lego sets.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #92 on: 12 Jun 2018, 01:19 »

Awhhh...
Missed a trick there.
One more frame of Marten and Bubbles looking to their left to see an oblivious Faye performing said dance....
Faye: "What?"
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #93 on: 12 Jun 2018, 06:08 »

I could feel the letdown just looking it up on an image search.

Granted, my childhood straddled the 80s and the 90s, so I got the Insectoids Lego sets.

Those look like fun. They weren't motorized, were they? For me, that was the most amazing thing about the Micronauts: the little tank treads on Biotron and Microtron and Nemesis... I get a sensory rush just thinking about them. Heady stuff.

A small perverse otter

• Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #94 on: 12 Jun 2018, 06:29 »

I an't find it right now, but Faye's 'embarrassed' pose in panel two is exactly the same pose that Marigold used around the time that she and Dale became an item.  It a cute echo. Does anybody remember what comic that was in?
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Ouibeaux

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • Just visiting this planet.
« Reply #95 on: 12 Jun 2018, 06:42 »

That is a dirty lie. The older humans get, the more they fart.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #96 on: 12 Jun 2018, 08:20 »

That is a dirty lie. The older humans get, the more they fart.

A lie as dirty as a butt!

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #97 on: 12 Jun 2018, 09:50 »

Some thoughts on 3762:

FAYE BLUSH!!! YES!!!

Panel three: Bubbles is opening up and allowing herself to believe that she could be happy like other people. I get so happy when I look at this!

Panel four: Bubbles's thousand-yard stare reminds me of two things: Angel's smash-cut sequence explaining why he doesn't dance, and the impromptu dance during the pageant rehearsal in "A Charlie Brown Christmas". And Bubbles would make a good Charlie Brown in that situation.

Angel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCYlsFagq_k
A Charlie Brown Christmas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1LUXQWzCno

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #98 on: 12 Jun 2018, 13:12 »

Not Marigold.

For the sake of me being right, I'm prepared to argue that Marigold's dance is not technically a booty dance, but a regular dance of joy that just happens to occur after she got some booty.  However, if her and Dale break up later, I'll be sure to cite it as yet another example of the booty dance being a relationship killer. :P

(actually, forgot all about that. Nice catch).

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #99 on: 12 Jun 2018, 14:35 »

For the sake of me being right, I'm prepared to argue that Marigold's dance is not technically a booty dance, but a regular dance of joy that just happens to occur after she got some booty.  However, if her and Dale break up later, I'll be sure to cite it as yet another example of the booty dance being a relationship killer. :P

I never borrowed the plaintiff's car. And even if I did, I returned it in perfect condition. And it was already damaged when he lent it to me, anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up