THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is Bubbles going to do when she pops the question?

She isn't going to
- 10 (33.3%)
She'll be very logical
- 2 (6.7%)
She'll be all traditional and will get down on one knee holding out a ring
- 8 (26.7%)
She will be so tongue-tied that Faye won't know what she's asking
- 6 (20%)
She will propose via email
- 0 (0%)
Potential potassium potter
- 4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: How will Bubbles propose?  (Read 17216 times)

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
Re: How will Bubbles propose?
« Reply #50 on: 21 Jun 2018, 00:30 »

[An amazing post about grace, redemption and love]

When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #51 on: 21 Jun 2018, 01:12 »

Bubbles almost never takes social risks, and has to be crowbarred into change. Even the simple act of thanking someone for a sweater was a major endeavor, and the social slur she suffered on the way back sent her into her Cave of Despair.

Objection. Knowing how much Faye cares about her, and having her as support, Bubbles will take social "risks" now. She is introverted though, so they will be calculated risks, and she will never be an overly outgoing person.

Given how their relationship will turn out, I believe there is a good chance Bubbles may pop the question, but so may Faye. Knowing Bubbles, it's going to be some kind of dry as a sunny day in the desert humor, taking Faye a moment to realize what Bubs just asked.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #52 on: 21 Jun 2018, 08:25 »

Wooo!  Be good in this life and be reunited with Spookybot in the next!
Or, worse, be *bad* in this life and be reunited with Spookybot in the next.  I almost pity CorpseWitch.

No, wait, no, I don't.
One robot's Heaven is another robot's Hell.
Hell is other robots.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

HughYeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #53 on: 21 Jun 2018, 09:20 »

Thank you to everyone who took the time to read my post, and especially for the kind responses. I know I'm long-winded, and not everyone's cup of tea, so I appreciate the measured tone of this forum. Between my fanfic and a few posts here, I feel like I've finally expressed what the Bubbles and Faye storyline meant to me.
"Is that why you checked for my armor?"
"I-I was scared you left. I knew you wouldn't go anywhere without it."
"I would never leave unless you asked me to."
"I would never ask you to."

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #54 on: 21 Jun 2018, 22:59 »

I think the question is so far out of left field that it's just dumb.  One does not usually go from "I have no idea what I'm doing" and "nor have I"  straight to "Let's get married."  At least not without stopping for at least a little while at "you know, we've been together for a while now and I've been thinking...."

Seriously, someone expects that, faster than existing relationship that have had a year or so to get used to thinking of each other as romantic partners?!

Pretty much every couple in the comic is more likely to share a marriage proposal before Faye & Bubbles.  Just because every one of those relationships have had more time to grow into their current forms and stabilize.  I mean, sure, they could go first - but it could be decades down the line and entirely different couple pairings, before *ANY* of the cast takes the step of marriage.

I mean, seriously, where did this question even come from, in the very same week the characters moved from friendship to romantic partners, and why haven't  we had similarly instant threads on the same topic about literally every pairing that's ever happened in the comic???

Did people immediately start asking about Faye & Marten getting married?  Marten & Dora?  Dora & Tai?  Marten & Claire?  Steve and Cosette?  Marigold & Dale?  Seriously, every couple in the storyverse has done just as much to prompt this question (ie, they decided to start a relationship...), so why jump on it but only now?

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #55 on: 22 Jun 2018, 03:53 »

I’m still bothered by the assumption that it’s on Bubbles to propose. I can see Faye proposing just as easily.

In a way, Faye kind of initiated their relationship starting in the first place. Sure, Bubbles may have initiated that first kiss, but Faye set it in motion.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #56 on: 22 Jun 2018, 04:42 »

This question also assumes that Faye and Bubbles are interested in marriage in the first place. Relationships don't require ceremonies or paperwork to be long-term, so the notion that "marriage is inevitable" just because the characters have implied a long-term relationship doesn't necessarily follow.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #57 on: 22 Jun 2018, 10:05 »

With Faye's emotional problems around commitment she's at a handicap compared to Bubbles.

Bubbles, in contrast, is going to take on this relationship the way she took on Arthur.

I think they're in comparable places in terms of how much they love each other and how much each one needs for herself. Bubbles strikes me as much more of a "make it permanent according to regulations" type than Faye is. That's why I see her as the one to pop the question.

Quote from: Morituri
Did people immediately start asking about Faye & Marten getting married?  Marten & Dora?  Dora & Tai?  Marten & Claire?  Steve and Cosette?  Marigold & Dale?  Seriously, every couple in the storyverse has done just as much to prompt this question (ie, they decided to start a relationship...), so why jump on it but only now?

Now I'm curious. You're placing zero significance on the fact that Faye and Bubbles are the only couple in the main cast who have exchanged vows. How come? I could see an argument that they didn't really mean it but that doesn't fit with what else we know about them.

EDIT:
Quote from: KeithCurtis
Easily. Bubbles almost never takes social risks, and has to be crowbarred into change. Even the simple act of thanking someone for a sweater was a major endeavor, and the social slur she suffered on the way back sent her into her Cave of Despair. Whenever at a party, she is extremely self conscious and reactive. She does not speak up for herself when the social repercussions might be difficult to deal with (Faye's sister's S.O.). She was willing to endure eternal silence rather than risk opening up to Faye and admitting her feelings.

All solid points. Now that an opening has presented itself, though, I can imagine Bubbles charging through it with the decisiveness and speed of a warrior.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2018, 11:10 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

« Reply #58 on: 22 Jun 2018, 11:20 »

Now that an opening has presented itself, though, I can imagine Bubbles charging through it with the decisiveness and speed of a warrior.

The way I see it, Bubbles now has a reason to interact with "the outside world". She knows Faye has a social life that she will be part of (although she already knows the inner circle). Therefore, she will take what she needs, in a Bubbles way. It's gonna be awkward in a few places though.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #59 on: 22 Jun 2018, 11:24 »

I’m not sure I’d call them “vows.”

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #60 on: 22 Jun 2018, 12:17 »

That does seem to be the crux of this conversation, and I agree. When Bubbles said "I would never leave unless you asked me to." and Faye said "I would never ask you to.", they were employing what I take to be an idiomatic use of the word "never". When people use it in this context, they're not talking about the future. I would translate it to Bubbles saying "There is no conceivable set of circumstances that would have caused me to leave." and Faye replying "There is no conceivable set of circumstances that would have caused me to ask you to."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #61 on: 22 Jun 2018, 20:05 »

Ahh, okay! I had not thought of that.

The ambiguity is damned good writing.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #62 on: 26 Jun 2018, 01:03 »

That does seem to be the crux of this conversation, and I agree. When Bubbles said "I would never leave unless you asked me to." and Faye said "I would never ask you to.", they were employing what I take to be an idiomatic use of the word "never". When people use it in this context, they're not talking about the future. I would translate it to Bubbles saying "There is no conceivable set of circumstances that would have caused me to leave." and Faye replying "There is no conceivable set of circumstances that would have caused me to ask you to."

Yeeaaaah but people always tell people they will 'never leave' people...

Then people leave people.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #63 on: 26 Jun 2018, 07:18 »

Yeeaaaah but people always tell people they will 'never leave' people...

Then people leave people.

This goes for "vows" as well.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

cybersmurf

« Reply #64 on: 26 Jun 2018, 07:26 »

Of course that foes for vows as well, but a randomly babbled "never" still doesn't make it a vow.

Infatuation and love are powerful drugs.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 26 Jun 2018, 08:25 »

Do you think that's what Faye and Bubbles have?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #66 on: 26 Jun 2018, 08:59 »

Do you think that's what Faye and Bubbles have?
Naw.  Infatuation usually happens with someone you don't really know all that well, just that you have a bad case of the hots for them.  Bubbles and Faye have known each other for quite a while, now.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #67 on: 26 Jun 2018, 09:08 »

I've been thinking of it as True Love but that could be wishful thinking. It's a fact that both of them have badly distorted emotional makeups.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #68 on: 26 Jun 2018, 09:29 »

I've been thinking of it as True Love but that could be wishful thinking. It's a fact that both of them have badly distorted emotional makeups.

Forgive me for going all Socratic, but it depends on what you mean by True Love. I don't think you're necessary wrong for saying that, because they have had a tectonic effect on each other's lives, and that has bonded them in a way few experience. They are as likely to remain together forever as two people at their developmental stages could be. I would submit that that is enough to call it True Love. If your definition of True Love includes an absolute certainty that they will be together forever, then I don't think they qualify.

OldGoat

« Reply #69 on: 02 Jul 2018, 16:28 »

Come tax time Union Robotics will have been unexpectedly profitable.   Bartholomew Punchbot, CPA, will accurately point out certain tax advantages if they were married.  Faye, surprised at their financial condition as well as the mention of marriage, will be, for the moment, nonplussed.  Bubbles will say something to the effect of "My emotion processing system is not programmed to require public affirmation of your personal declaration of commitment to our relationship beyond what we have already expressed to one another.  However, Faye, I will gladly participate if you will find it gratifying.  Further, since it will clearly be to our fiscal advantage to obtain legal recognition of our domestic arrangement, I propose we move forward with plans to do so before the end of this tax year.  As I surmise that the event will be emotionally significant to most of our human acquaintances, and quit possibly some of our android acquaintances as well, I will follow your lead with regard to scheduling and other customary arrangements."

Faye will accept by way of an earsplitting "SQUEEEE!!!"  Bubbles will then say something like, "Do you think it would be appropriate for me to ask Pintsize to serve as my witness?"

cybersmurf

« Reply #70 on: 02 Jul 2018, 22:28 »

That would be quite Bubbles. Although she wouldn't use the word 'propose' in there.

Faye probably would give her a blank, puzzled look and ask "Did you just propose to me?"
Bubbles would answer either "... Yes." or with a snarky Fayesque line.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #71 on: 03 Jul 2018, 02:15 »

Prediction: Momo has got an on-line lay preacher qualification (mostly to prove that she 'has a soul') and ends up performing the ceremony.

I'd expect Marten to act as Faye's witness and probably Jeremy the ex-armbot as Bubbles's witness.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

OldGoat

« Reply #72 on: 03 Jul 2018, 08:26 »

That would be quite Bubbles. Although she wouldn't use the word 'propose' in there.
I actually spent some time skulling on whether or not she'd use "propose" and decided that, since the principal context is a business arrangement, she'd opt for it, the emotional bit being outside her programming.

Prediction: Momo has got an on-line lay preacher qualification (mostly to prove that she 'has a soul') and ends up performing the ceremony.

I'd expect Marten to act as Faye's witness and probably Jeremy the ex-armbot as Bubbles's witness.
I'm thinking the minister who presided at Henry and Maurice's wedding would be their officiant.  (Given Jeph's custom of drawing in his friends and acquaintances for cameo appearances.  I suspect she's a real person - since she did a gay wedding without batting an eye, I reckon she's Unitarian.)

Yup, if it happens Faye will ask Marty.  WRT Bubbles' witness, I agree, in the end she'll opt for Jeremy, but not before a strip or two dedicated to making the choice and hijinks on Pintsize's part causing the happy couple to decide to stay that way and not include him in the wedding party.

But there's no doubt in my mind that Pintsize has several online ordinations.  Jimbo, too.

I'm going to get my nose out of Jeph's business now before I step on an idea he was going to use.

« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2018, 10:35 by OldGoat »

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #73 on: 12 Jul 2018, 19:07 »

Come tax time Union Robotics will have been unexpectedly profitable.   Bartholomew Punchbot, CPA, will accurately point out certain tax advantages if they were married.  Faye, surprised at their financial condition as well as the mention of marriage, will be, for the moment, nonplussed.  Bubbles will say something to the effect of "My emotion processing system is not programmed to require public affirmation of your personal declaration of commitment to our relationship beyond what we have already expressed to one another.  However, Faye, I will gladly participate if you will find it gratifying.  Further, since it will clearly be to our fiscal advantage to obtain legal recognition of our domestic arrangement, I propose we move forward with plans to do so before the end of this tax year.  As I surmise that the event will be emotionally significant to most of our human acquaintances, and quit possibly some of our android acquaintances as well, I will follow your lead with regard to scheduling and other customary arrangements."

Faye will accept by way of an earsplitting "SQUEEEE!!!"  Bubbles will then say something like, "Do you think it would be appropriate for me to ask Pintsize to serve as my witness?"

Bubbles: Do I really sound like that?

OldGoat

« Reply #74 on: 12 Jul 2018, 20:51 »

Bubbles: Do I really sound like that?
You do indeed, Bubbs, although you're usually constrained to shorter sentences by the spacial dynamics of speech balloons.
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2018, 11:52 by OldGoat »

cybersmurf

« Reply #75 on: 14 Jul 2018, 01:14 »

I actually spent some time skulling on whether or not she'd use "propose" and decided that, since the principal context is a business arrangement, she'd opt for it, the emotional bit being outside her programming.

Business Proposal? No. Companionship agreement. EXTENDED companionship agreement. Faye will not understand immediately, and be like "why would we need a companionship contract? ... oh. OH. DID YOU JUST PROPOSE???!?!?!!?"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #76 on: 14 Jul 2018, 08:35 »

Which will really cause confusion since it will make Faye think of companion AIs like Winslow.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #77 on: 14 Jul 2018, 11:23 »

Nah Bubs, your voice is prettier than that.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up