- 2 (2.9%)
3 - Poor
- 2 (2.9%)
- 0 (0%)
1 - Awful
- 3 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 65

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3766 - 3770 (18th-22nd June 2018)  (Read 37457 times)

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT Strips 3766 - 3770 (18th-22nd June 2018)
« Reply #150 on: 21 Jun 2018, 21:30 »

I don't think Pintsize would work (as a fictional character) if he were not in a "cute li'l robot guy" body. As he is, he is essentially a cartoon character, and follows different dramatic conventions than a more realistically portrayed one. Most of his pranks and comments aren't any worse than May's (in fact, he's considerably cleaner), but things like the Dora/fleshlight incident would pass beyond the funny (to the audience) and into the repulsive. He can get away with a lot more in his funny little chassis.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #151 on: 21 Jun 2018, 21:49 »

Growth and change come with losses and grief. This has come up in a previous discussion about Pintsize, in which Zoe posted something I considered profound. Dragons live forever, but not so little boys
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #152 on: 21 Jun 2018, 21:50 »

I read "THAT IS NOT MY SON!" with the melody for Billy Jean in my mind. And now I cannot unsee.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #153 on: 21 Jun 2018, 21:52 »

I read "THAT IS NOT MY SON!" with the melody for Billy Jean in my mind. And now I cannot unsee.
THE BIRD IS NOT MY SON
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #154 on: 21 Jun 2018, 22:01 »

So, have we considered the possibility that Pintsize truly wasn’t aware that A.J. was in there?
Like, was A.J.’s egg laid by the pigeon that wouldn’t leave pintsize alone after the birdseed incident, incubated by the waste heat of his processors, fed by the remaining seeds that couldn’t be removed by upending pintsize over a bin?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #155 on: 21 Jun 2018, 22:44 »

So, have we considered the possibility that Pintsize truly wasn’t aware that A.J. was in there?
Like, was A.J.’s egg laid by the pigeon that wouldn’t leave pintsize alone after the birdseed incident, incubated by the waste heat of his processors, fed by the remaining seeds that couldn’t be removed by upending pintsize over a bin?
It's gotta be Mr_Rose's explanation or Spookybot's the father and Pintsize is the Virgin Mary.

citizenfive

• Plantmonster
  • Dungeons & Dragons for Days!
« Reply #156 on: 21 Jun 2018, 23:16 »

Out of all of the characters, the last one I'd ever expect a character arc from is Pintsize. I kind of hope Jeph continues down this path because I want to see where this goes. Does this potentially mean that Pintsize's Twitter account will stop posting shock images? (No idea if it still does, but it was last time I checked a long time ago)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #157 on: 21 Jun 2018, 23:55 »

May, you're not fooling me: You don't have any 'sick burns' for Pintsize and that probably says more about your inner nice girl than I think that you're willing to admit. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we're about to go into a twin character development arc for Pintsize and May with Melon being the catalyst for both. You see, I do  think that they're genuinely interested in finding out what is Melon's 'deal' and they're going to be learning lessons along the way.

This is the scenario that I think is the case; maybe including the chick eating all the various weird foods Pintsize has stuffed down his mouth and Marten hasn't known to clean out. In which case, AJ really is Pintsize's kid in a strange kind of way.

Just a P.S.: Melon's effortless joy in existence would be a bit wearing in person, wouldn't it? That said, you can't help but envy her in a lot of ways; life is an experience for her that most of us would only dream of having!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #158 on: 22 Jun 2018, 04:25 »

Just a P.S.: Melon's effortless joy in existence would be a bit wearing in person, wouldn't it? That said, you can't help but envy her in a lot of ways; life is an experience for her that most of us would only dream of having!

Maybe she is just a  Manic Pixie Dream AI?

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #159 on: 22 Jun 2018, 04:30 »

The man who fitted my parents' kitchen is called Anthony Jones. If I ever meet him again I'll have to tell him there's a fictional pigeon with the same name as him :')

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #160 on: 22 Jun 2018, 05:26 »

Maybe she is just a  Manic Pixie Dream AI?
Hi, could you fix your quote please? I didn’t say that, BenRG did.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

oddtail

« Reply #161 on: 22 Jun 2018, 06:01 »

Emily and Raven were both examples of a kind of quirky genius trope - almost the "Genius Ditz" of TVtropes, but not quite.  Maybe Cloudcoocoolanders. 

Melon, so far, is just out there.  No sign of anything behind the comic relief.

I think that's why I mind Melon less than I did Emily. She's just simple comic relief (that's comic relief that doesn't WORK for me, but it's comic relief). Emily, and to extent Raven, just don't seem... genuine to me. They have a formula - say something silly, say something crazy, and occasionally say something "profound" and "smart". It doesn't ring true to me.

It's the reason why this might be my least favourite installment of QC (or at least, in my top 10): https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2999

It's like either a reply to a negative reaction, or a preemptive defense. It feels like Emily is talking about a reader that might read her as a character a certain way. To me, the character IS random, and that's her defining trait. And this comic is the essence of why it doesn't work for me. I don't think she's anything *but* randomly quirky, while occasionally acting like there's something more.

And it's not the worst character I've seen, even in this comic. But it's boring and one-note, while pretending it really isn't one-note. Clearly, Jeph wants her to be a weird person that's a complete character, but I just don't feel it quite works.

HughYeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #162 on: 22 Jun 2018, 06:18 »

Here's what I keep wondering: does Melon's constellation of traits correlate with any real disorder? The one I keep coming back to is the strip where she said "Numbers are just abstract concepts" as a justification for not being able to differentiate between apartments. That totally works as a joke, but not in real life, correct? It implies a degree of awareness and willfulness that is distinct from dysfunction. In other words, she would have to understand the real in order to display such a deep understanding of the difference between the abstract and the real. That one scene, insofar as I am justified in taking the joke as indicative of anything at all, leads me to think her behavior is at least partially performative.

Also, wouldn't the closest trope to her be Manic Pixie Dream Girl?
"Is that why you checked for my armor?"
"I-I was scared you left. I knew you wouldn't go anywhere without it."
"I would never leave unless you asked me to."
"I would never ask you to."

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #163 on: 22 Jun 2018, 06:30 »

To me she's more like The Fool
To be honest, Melon is pretty low on my 'Favorite QC Character'-list (as are Emily and Raven).

EDIT:
I correct myself. Idiot Houdini is the more fitting trope.
« Last Edit: 22 Jun 2018, 06:38 by Bad Superman »

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #164 on: 22 Jun 2018, 06:52 »

I try not to think of dealing with just about any of the cast in real life.
Marigold, I would be totally into if she were a real person. She's exactly my type.
Given your avatar, that sounds terrifying and ominous.
There is absolutely no significance to my avatar.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #165 on: 22 Jun 2018, 07:00 »

To me she's more like The Fool
To be honest, Melon is pretty low on my 'Favorite QC Character'-list (as are Emily and Raven).

EDIT:
I correct myself. Idiot Houdini is the more fitting trope.

Hmmm. I hadn't seen the Idiot Houdini. I'm not sure that I agree, though. This aspect seems integral to the trope: "... anyone acting the way he does would almost certainly have died ten episodes before the series began." For a human, that would be true. But in this universe, there are free public charging stations, so it's not like Melon is going to "starve". Of course she will require maintenance at some point, and then there's the concern of her being arrested or assaulted for trespassing, so I can see your point. She still feels more like a Manic Pixie Dream Girl to me, though.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #166 on: 22 Jun 2018, 07:23 »

Here's what I keep wondering: does Melon's constellation of traits correlate with any real disorder? The one I keep coming back to is the strip where she said "Numbers are just abstract concepts" as a justification for not being able to differentiate between apartments. That totally works as a joke, but not in real life, correct? It implies a degree of awareness and willfulness that is distinct from dysfunction. In other words, she would have to understand the real in order to display such a deep understanding of the difference between the abstract and the real. That one scene, insofar as I am justified in taking the joke as indicative of anything at all, leads me to think her behavior is at least partially performative.

I don’t think you can correlate Melon’s mind with any human cognitive disorder. I think what happened to her is AI-specific: when her neural net was being trained on real-world inputs, something went drastically wrong. Her resulting mental map of the world therefore doesn’t correlate very well with objective reality. She’s sane enough to survive pretty decently - I mean, she holds down a job (however bizarre it may be) and she seems to have a stable relationship with Arthur. But her mental world is simply different from ours.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #167 on: 22 Jun 2018, 07:41 »

I didn't know Pintsize had a son!!!  :-o
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #168 on: 22 Jun 2018, 08:04 »

I don’t think you can correlate Melon’s mind with any human cognitive disorder. I think what happened to her is AI-specific: when her neural net was being trained on real-world inputs, something went drastically wrong. Her resulting mental map of the world therefore doesn’t correlate very well with objective reality. She’s sane enough to survive pretty decently - I mean, she holds down a job (however bizarre it may be) and she seems to have a stable relationship with Arthur. But her mental world is simply different from ours.
I think you nailed it. The QC universe seems to rely largely on the conceit that human and AI minds reflect similar emergent systems, and that the similarities reveal traits of complex systems that are independent of the informational substrate. Melon is an exception to that rule. She's... something else.

specter177

« Reply #169 on: 22 Jun 2018, 10:12 »

Marigold, I would be totally into if she were a real person. She's exactly my type.
Nah, Marigold totally isn't Mike's type.

She's not a mom.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #170 on: 22 Jun 2018, 11:20 »

THE BIRD IS NOT MY SON
Good to know that I am not the only one who thought like this.

cybersmurf

« Reply #171 on: 22 Jun 2018, 11:33 »

THE BIRD IS NOT MY SON
Good to know that I am not the only one who thought like this.

I'm getting old enough to have a song for half the stuff people say.

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #172 on: 22 Jun 2018, 12:10 »

At the time of Bubbles's weaponized monologue, I said that it was so devastating to Pintsize that he would never be the same. Since then, we've enjoyed the continuing tension of Pintsize going through successive performative layers. One moment we think we was genuinely affected, the next we're all "Oh snap, he's Andy Kaufman!" At this point, though, I believe it's safe to say that my original assertion was correct. Even if he were to land on "Ha ha, I'm just an asshole." again, the very fact that he's spent this much time dwelling on the subject reveals something about his underlying state of mind. I think Bubbles has wrought a permanent change in him. What do you think?

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #173 on: 22 Jun 2018, 12:16 »

I have to say this arc seems to be a celebration of an ornithological miracle, bringing forth a mass awareness of a certain avian variety.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #174 on: 22 Jun 2018, 15:25 »

At the time of Bubbles's weaponized monologue, I said that it was so devastating to Pintsize that he would never be the same. Since then, we've enjoyed the continuing tension of Pintsize going through successive performative layers. One moment we think we was genuinely affected, the next we're all "Oh snap, he's Andy Kaufman!" At this point, though, I believe it's safe to say that my original assertion was correct. Even if he were to land on "Ha ha, I'm just an asshole." again, the very fact that he's spent this much time dwelling on the subject reveals something about his underlying state of mind. I think Bubbles has wrought a permanent change in him. What do you think?

The main this is that he's a known uncontrollably, possibly pathological liar. He's lied so often, so commonly and about everything that even if he is telling the truth 100% nobody at this point will believe him, and he's probably going to undercut his sincerity with another lie or outrageous act. See, the pigeon. He's the bot who cried wolf. He reminds me of Deacon from Fallout 4. Someone who lies so much and tells you he's does so that you can never trust him if he says he's telling the truth for once. His lies are so frequent that nobody can believe he's ever truthful. Even if this is something that's tearing him up inside (and it wasn't just the pigeon) and tried to be serious about it, nobody can believe him at this point. Doubly so when he caps off his 'serious talk moment' with a joke.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #175 on: 22 Jun 2018, 21:03 »

You keep saying that, and yet you chose it...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #176 on: 22 Jun 2018, 21:08 »

There is indeed a "Bird College".
(what, would Google lie?)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

JackMann

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #177 on: 23 Jun 2018, 00:50 »

I don't think Pintsize would work (as a fictional character) if he were not in a "cute li'l robot guy" body. As he is, he is essentially a cartoon character, and follows different dramatic conventions than a more realistically portrayed one. Most of his pranks and comments aren't any worse than May's (in fact, he's considerably cleaner), but things like the Dora/fleshlight incident would pass beyond the funny (to the audience) and into the repulsive. He can get away with a lot more in his funny little chassis.

Agreed. And I'd say some of the things he's done over the years are honestly worse than things May has done (bar trying to steal a fighter jet, which she served time for). He gets away with a lot because most of the cast don't treat him as though he were a person. Like you say, he looks and acts like a cartoon character and he's treated as such, while Winslow and Momo have outgrown that stage. Pintsize is getting to a point where he may be able to get to that stage himself, but first he has to start acknowledging and taking responsibility for the way his actions affect others.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #178 on: 23 Jun 2018, 07:19 »

Cheep.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #179 on: 23 Jun 2018, 07:25 »

Agreed. And I'd say some of the things he's done over the years are honestly worse than things May has done (bar trying to steal a fighter jet, which she served time for).
Picking nit - she didn't try to steal a fighter jet; she DID steal a lot of money, with the expressed intent to purchase a fighter jet with it.

As you were; carry on.
stePH
--

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #180 on: 23 Jun 2018, 07:47 »

Okay, since it is apparently mandatory that a user's forum avatar be a direct representation of their personality, I hereby discard Mike from DoA and replace him with bookish nerd pony Twilight Sparkle. Satisfied?
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #181 on: 23 Jun 2018, 08:31 »

I think Carl-E was suggesting that there was probably some kind of significance to it (e.g. he's a favourite character of yours), not that the character must reflect directly on your personality.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #182 on: 23 Jun 2018, 08:36 »

I think Carl-E was suggesting that there was probably some kind of significance to it (e.g. he's a favourite character of yours), not that the character must reflect directly on your personality.
No - like I said, I set out to pick the most obnoxious character I could think of, and Pintsize would be too obvious a choice.
I'm keeping Twilight tho' - she's also my type, if I were a talking pony.
stePH
--

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #183 on: 23 Jun 2018, 10:26 »

I dunno, Mike's about as obnoxious as you can get without being Pintsize.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #184 on: 23 Jun 2018, 12:26 »

I'm pretty sure that Yelling Bird is more obnoxious than Pintsize.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #185 on: 23 Jun 2018, 13:51 »

And Mike is more obnoxious than both. Unless he’s drunk, of course.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #186 on: 23 Jun 2018, 14:08 »

I'm pretty sure that Yelling Bird is more obnoxious than Pintsize.
I've had Yelling Bird as my Facebook profile pic before.
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #187 on: 23 Jun 2018, 21:46 »

No - like I said, I set out to pick the most obnoxious character I could think of, and Pintsize would be too obvious a choice.

So, by "no," you mean yes, there was some kind of significance.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #188 on: 23 Jun 2018, 23:02 »

So, by "no," you mean yes, there was some kind of significance.
Not really, but it doesn't matter.
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #189 on: 24 Jun 2018, 00:19 »

I honestly have no idea what you were objecting to, but okay, no biggie. Let's move on.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #190 on: 24 Jun 2018, 14:29 »

Seems May is as green as Melon in the last panel. So is her enthusiasm contagious?

cybersmurf

« Reply #191 on: 24 Jun 2018, 14:36 »

Seems May is as green as Melon in the last panel. So is her enthusiasm contagious?

It seems like Mr J. forgot to switch palettes after coloring Melon. That is melon's skin tone on may, and she's usually bluer, as can be seen in the other panels.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #192 on: 05 Jul 2018, 04:29 »

By the way, would it be weird and pedantic for me to mention that it's actually "senpai"?

Yes, it would ;)  "Senpai" is the standard romanisation of the Japanese characters, but "sempai" is phonetically more accurate.  Another example is "tempura" - this would be written "tenpura" by a "literal" romanisation.

https://nihongoshark.com/is-it-senpai-or-sempai/

(Late reply because I've been away without Internet)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up