THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making a Podcast  (Read 14701 times)

HughYeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
Making a Podcast
« on: 23 Jun 2018, 10:55 »

Anyone else out there doing one? It would be lovely to compare notes.
"Is that why you checked for my armor?"
"I-I was scared you left. I knew you wouldn't go anywhere without it."
"I would never leave unless you asked me to."
"I would never ask you to."

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
Re: Making a Podcast
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2018, 14:27 »

I do but I'm just responsible for organising dates for recording sessions and trying not to get incoherently drunk while trying to be funny. Heavy lifting is done by one of my co-conspirators.

What is your podcast about.
?

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2018, 19:02 »

I do but I'm just responsible for organising dates for recording sessions and trying not to get incoherently drunk while trying to be funny. Heavy lifting is done by one of my co-conspirators.

What is your podcast about.
?

I read newspaper articles from 50, 100 and 150 years ago. The goal is to provide a media-centric context for history, because so often the view we get of history from a modern source bears little resemblance to how people at the time saw it. I strive to be funny in my own non-comedian way, but I have no illusions about it ever being entertaining. I'm doing it as a creative outlet and a distraction from existential dread. Beyond that, I just want to respect history and promote the importance of historical context. It's all me, and I'm learning as I go. I do a tremendous amount of research, and the recording and editing takes me freaking forever because I've never before spoken in front of a mic to speak of. I spend about 20 hours making a one-hour episode.

Do you find it comes naturally to be funny within that format?

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2018, 00:41 »

Sitting in a room drinking beer and trying to make the other two guy laugh does come pretty naturally to me. That's part of our group dynamic though. I did try once to record a solo piece but just ended up hating myself for days.

Go on, lets have a link to your podcast.

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2018, 05:19 »

I did try once to record a solo piece but just ended up hating myself for days.
Ha! I can relate.

Here's mine. I'm proud of the latest two episodes: 17 because I was so angry and passionate that I think it's relatively listenable, and 18 because it represents what I want the podcast to be.

https://historicheadlines.podbean.com/

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2018, 07:52 »

I've been thinking of starting one about the paranormal. I wouldn't know where to start though. I have a mic from my youtube channel days but I don't know how best to set everything up, how to record/edit, let alone how to check mics for others on said podcast...oh yeah I would also need to find members to be on the podcast.

Any thoughts or suggestions from people who have podcasted or currently podcast?
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2018, 09:12 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

HughYeman

• Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #6 on: 21 Nov 2018, 09:34 »

I've been thinking of starting one about the paranormal. I wouldn't know where to start though. I have a mic from my youtube channel days but I don't know how best to set everything up, how to record/edit, let alone how to check mics for others on said podcast...oh yeah I would also need to find members to be on the podcast.

Any thoughts or suggestions from people who have podcasted or currently podcast?

Hey LeeC. Here's what I've said to a few people who asked me about podcasting. I'm an amateur, but I have learned enough that I think my experience might be useful to someone starting out.

Short version: get a decent mic and a pop filter and download Audacity.

Long version: get a decent mic and a pop filter and download Audacity, then start playing around with the settings. It'll take a while to find your sweet spot in terms of gain, layers of pop filtering and distance between your mouth and the mic. Depending on your level of experience with a mic and with sound editing, it might take *much* longer than you expect. My greatest challenge is the rabbit-in-the-headlights effect I get whenever I try to monologue into a mic. It is a whole different animal than dialoguing with a person. So I end up stuttering and stammering and vapor-locking my way through my delivery, starting each sentence an average of probably three times. Then I spend a long time editing it. I spend around twenty hours making a one-hour show, although I put a tremendous amount of time into research. Your mileage will vary.

Oh, one other major hurdle I had: mouth sounds. Good god, the mouth sounds. Before I started this project, I had no idea how many clicking, popping, smacking, sucking sounds my mouth makes. It sounds like Cthulhu eating live squid. I was super self-conscious about that, and over the following weeks I learned how to mitigate it, but I was still spending a ton of time editing out the pops and clicks. Then one day I struck up a conversation with Rivers Langley, the man who produces one of my favorite podcasts, "The Goods From the Woods". That podcast sounds so good that I wanted advice from him, and he was generous enough to have an extended conversation with me. One thing that came from that is that I started listening to "The Dollop", his favorite podcast, now one of my favorites. But when I first listened to it, I was shocked at the pops and clicks that were audible in that show. Slowly it dawned on me that I had become hypersensitized to those sounds, and that the average person doesn't notice them. I confirmed this by having my wife listen to a few episodes of "The Dollop" without saying anything about the pops. Then I asked both her and my daughter, who had already been listening to it for a while, whether they noticed those sounds, and they each said no. And my wife, as a professional singer, is *highly* sensitive to such sounds! So the point is that you may find that editing takes ten times longer than you expect, but *then* you may find that you don't need to spend as much time editing as you think you do.
Pages: [1]   Go Up