THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Announcement Time! Who will freak out the most from Faye/Bubbles?

Clinton
- 1 (2.1%)
Tai
- 9 (18.8%)
Steve
- 2 (4.2%)
Emily
- 3 (6.3%)
Marigold
- 6 (12.5%)
Dale
- 0 (0%)
Dora
- 1 (2.1%)
Penelope
- 5 (10.4%)
Cosette
- 1 (2.1%)
Other
- 20 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3771 - 3775 (25-29 June 2018)  (Read 26442 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT Strips 3771 - 3775 (25-29 June 2018)
« on: 24 Jun 2018, 08:58 »

Since the week is upon us (and Patreon supporters have already gotten tomorrow's comic), it's time to discuss. And our poll focuses on the aftermath - who's gonna freak out?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT Strips 3771 - 3775 (25-29 June 2018)
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2018, 09:06 »

I'm expecting the largest single explosion to happen in Savannah, Georgia, when Faye's mother hears about it.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2018, 09:13 »

I think people may be forgetting that a big reason Faye's mom was so angry at Faye's sister was that she took her credit card and bought a plane ticket to Massachusetts. She may be quite a bit more tolerant of Faye, considering she hasn't done anything like that to her.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2018, 10:22 »

'Cept for breakin' her poor heart and moving north and livin' with a Yankee boy!

While I don't think that Faye's mother would blow up, I could see her being the kind of person who would deny that her daughter was in a relationship. She might even be the kind of person to deny that an AI was a real person and see Bubbles as a fad or a toy.

Not outright cruel, but more unknowingly ignorant.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 24 Jun 2018, 12:54 »

As a parent, I know that the second time you go through something it's less of a crisis.  After her sister coming out, Faye's mom is more likely to just shake her head, and wonder where she went wrong.  Not that that's accepting, of course.  But the reaction will be nowhere near the explosion people are predicting. 

She might even be the kind of person to deny that an AI was a real person and see Bubbles as a fad or a toy.

Now, that's a story arc. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jun 2018, 13:34 »

I don't know if anyone will really freak out, but I guess Faye's mom is probably the most likely.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #6 on: 24 Jun 2018, 14:33 »

'Cept for breakin' her poor heart and moving north and livin' with a Yankee boy!

While I don't think that Faye's mother would blow up, I could see her being the kind of person who would deny that her daughter was in a relationship. She might even be the kind of person to deny that an AI was a real person and see Bubbles as a fad or a toy.

"You see, if you had stayed aroundand found yourself a nice boy, you wouldn't need that sentient... no, I'm not even saying that. The moment you meet a nice, young man, this thing will return to be what it is: a sentient repair tool."

... That sounds way harsher than I meant it to be, but it's still a possibility.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #7 on: 24 Jun 2018, 14:55 »

I agree with those predicting Faye's mum will deal with this better than expected.

Especially if she sees the mule come down from the Ferris wheel.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #8 on: 24 Jun 2018, 18:09 »

I don't think anyone will freak out, but now that we've gotten past Claire and Tai (who have already reacted), my money's on Momo as the one to be most excited. She has shown interest in human/AI romantic pairings on an emotional level (May's musings seem more mechanical). I think she will see this as a "Big Step Forward".

Of course the real answer as to who freaked out the most is Faye.

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #9 on: 24 Jun 2018, 18:18 »

I like that Clinton is about a hundred times more level headed than Claire on this. Of course, he started with the assumption they were an item back when he first met Bubbles.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jun 2018, 18:31 »

So how many pages of speculation regarding a possible engagement between Marten and Claire will we have here by tomorrow morning? :D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jun 2018, 18:40 »

Clinton has kinda known what's up with Faybles for awhile. Why on earth would he be surprised? Haha.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jun 2018, 19:21 »

There's always that one guy in your circle of friends who says, "So?" to any breaking news. 

It's not always the same guy.  This time, it's Clinton. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #13 on: 24 Jun 2018, 22:04 »

I expect Mrs. Whittaker to have a difficult time at first but that she will warm up to Bubbles soon after meeting her.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jun 2018, 22:06 »

Other: I think ANGUS is gonna have a cow. ;)

New comic! YES, I'd like pony rides too.

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #15 on: 24 Jun 2018, 22:11 »

Random thought: do Clinton and Claire ONLY talk when taking walks through the city? All their strips together are outdoors.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 24 Jun 2018, 23:21 »

Today's strip is so cute, primarily because it's nearly an archetype of Claire and Clinton's relationship. They're always bickering but they're always close and, like it or not, they're always the first one the other goes to when they have big news (mostly, I suspect, because they enjoy seeing the other's reactions). Now... it occurs to me that Claire has definitely been making plans for when Marten pops the question... and so, I suspect, has Jeph.

The strip also emphasises something about which I have always been certain - That the only people who didn't know Faye and Bubbles were attracted to each other were Faye and Bubbles themselves. The general response to Claire's news will be: "Wait, so you're saying this is a new thing?"

Random thought: do Clinton and Claire ONLY talk when taking walks through the city? All their strips together are outdoors.

Maybe it's Clinton's sense of being defensive of Claire: He wants them to be somewhere outdoors so she can be free to say something that she wouldn't want to say in an enclosed space, possibly with lots of people nearby.
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #17 on: 25 Jun 2018, 00:30 »

I guess they have a walk regularly just to talk about things. A piece of common way to/from work/uni. My guess: it's their version of getting together to talk about the almost important stuff.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #18 on: 25 Jun 2018, 08:14 »

Today's strip is so cute, primarily because it's nearly an archetype of Claire and Clinton's relationship. They're always bickering but they're always close and, like it or not, they're always the first one the other goes to when they have big news (mostly, I suspect, because they enjoy seeing the other's reactions). Now... it occurs to me that Claire has definitely been making plans for when Marten pops the question... and so, I suspect, has Jeph.
<SNIP>

"When"?

I would vote Marten to be Least Likely to Propose Marriage to ANYONE in this strip.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #19 on: 25 Jun 2018, 08:42 »

Been thinking about Claire's character and one thing I notice is how organised she is in every aspect of her life, particularly in having her own specific expectations in mind of how her plans will turn out: for example, her matchmaking attempts with Clinton and Emily; today's comic where she mentions having a detailed plan for a hypothetical engagement party; and expecting a more shocked reaction from Clinton upon telling him about Faye and Bubbles.

This explains why librarianship appeals to her so much as a job: everything is arranged as it should be and Claire is in control of that arrangement. It also brings me back to a comparison I made previously: Claire (post-timeskip, at least) reminds me very much of Emma Woodhouse (of the eponymous Jane Austen novel) with her fondness for matchmaking but also her failure to gauge others' feelings/reactions in the process. I do wonder whether this might have been deliberate on Jeph's part, as she's been shown previously to be a Jane Austen fan.

I also like the idea of Claire one day meeting Penelope and getting to compare book collections :3

Regarding the poll, I'm curious to see Sam's reaction given her sense of wonder upon discovering cool robot-related things. "People can date robots!? Skullmaster approves!"

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #20 on: 25 Jun 2018, 11:46 »

Ma Whittaker will have a difficult time maintaining in the face of the Big News.

Angus will return and promptly lose his feces.  This will prompt Ma Whittaker to re-consolidate her own and bitch-slap Angus (maybe even literally) saying something to the effect of, "You had your chance, you damnyankee1 cur!"

1 For non-USAian readers, some Southerners have a remarkable linguistic ability to pronounce "damned yankee" as one syllable.  There is no really accurate way to render it typorgaphically, it must be heard to be appreciated. 

SordidEuphemism

• Plantmonster
  • Treguna Mekoides Tracorum Satis Dee
« Reply #21 on: 25 Jun 2018, 12:45 »

For non-USAian readers, some Southerners have a remarkable linguistic ability to pronounce "damned yankee" as one syllable.  There is no really accurate way to render it typorgaphically, it must be heard to be appreciated.

I've got Southern parents (Oxford & Waveland MS) and grandparents (Cookville Sparta, TN), and this was the best thing I've read all day.
See also: The words that wound (he tries so hard), and those that kill (bless his heart).

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jun 2018, 12:54 »

I wouldn't guess it would be that much of a crisis to nearly anybody.

Ma Whittaker's lament is going to amount to, "Sigh.  Well, damnit, I was hopin' at least one of 'em would have grandkids, but it looks like that ain't happening...."  I know bigotry is a stereotype for Georgia, but that's all it is.  Faye seems to have arrived without a bunch of attitudes about gays, blacks, etc, and her sister Amanda, who is actually in an interracial lesbian relationship, had Ma Whittaker upset because of *financial* irresponsibility, not bigotry.  So it looks like neither of them got that kind of intolerance at home. 

Angus and Faye weren't waiting for each other anyway as far as I recall.  If he's at all upset, he's going to blame himself for walking away, not Bubbles for being there for Faye when he wasn't.  It's also likely that he's dating someone else now, and afraid that Faye is going to be upset with him.  Cue comedy when respective partners both roll their eyes.

Sven, on the third hand, I can see getting smacked a little bit when he asks a crude question about whether Faye & Bubbles are into threesomes.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #23 on: 25 Jun 2018, 13:02 »

Mrs. Whittaker first saw AIs when they were property. She's a DHB and will warm up to her new daughter in law, but she will have to dig out of some assumptions first.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #24 on: 25 Jun 2018, 15:25 »

<SNIP>

"When"?

I would vote Marten to be Least Likely to Propose Marriage to ANYONE in this strip.
This. Many times over. Marten is the poster boy for "let's just leave things as they are."

OldGoat

« Reply #25 on: 25 Jun 2018, 15:59 »

Sven, on the third hand, I can see getting smacked a little bit when he asks a crude question about whether Faye & Bubbles are into threesomes.
If Bubble did the smacking, that could be serious.  (She is, however, adept at letting entities know she could smack - or squish - them without actually doing so, usually to devastating effect.)

Mrs. Whittaker first saw AIs when they were property. She's a DHB and will warm up to her new daughter in law, but she will have to dig out of some assumptions first.
?DHB?  Urban Dictionary has failed me.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #26 on: 25 Jun 2018, 16:02 »

Double-Haired Boss?
Darn Hungry Barnyard?
Drawn Heavily Bored?
Down Here Buddy?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

OldGoat

« Reply #27 on: 25 Jun 2018, 16:08 »

Double-Haired Boss?
Darn Hungry Barnyard?
Drawn Heavily Bored?
Down Here Buddy?
I was thinking "Dear-Hearted old Broad" or something like that.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #28 on: 25 Jun 2018, 16:27 »

I kind of regret deciding to check urban dictionary for myself.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #29 on: 25 Jun 2018, 17:11 »

I kind of regret deciding to check urban dictionary for myself.

I NEVER check UB because I usually don't wanna know.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #30 on: 25 Jun 2018, 17:24 »

That does seem to be the most likely case yes. Probably because both are busy in school so they don't have a lot of time to get together. Add to that the fact that their friends circles are more adjacent than overlapping and that it seem Clinton goes to a school near, but not in Northampton. He's mentioned several times when visiting that he needs to catch a bus to get home. That's how he met Brun after all.  Since everything seems to be pretty much in walking distance for the cast, that means he doesn't live here, but close enough that he can hop on a regular bus to visit his friends and family in Northampton often.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #31 on: 25 Jun 2018, 17:30 »

Sorry: Decent Human Being.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #32 on: 25 Jun 2018, 18:31 »

<SNIP>

"When"?

This. Many times over. Marten is the poster boy for "let's just leave things as they are."

On the other hand, at least once, Marten has been the one to take the initiative and push for the relationship.  When he talked to Claire the morning after the head-skritching incident, that was hardly "leaving things as they are".  Having sex for the first time was kind of a spontaneous reaction to Faye's near-death experience, and Claire moving in was a "huh, guess you already have, might as well make it official" thing, but there's no reason to think that if, say, Faye or Dora or Clinton put the idea in Marten's head by asking if he had any thoughts about it, he wouldn't do the same thing he did once the idea of dating Claire took root and go after it.

I'm not saying I think it's going to happen any time soon, but Claire seems to like things being done a certain way, and I wouldn't be surprised if she were the type who expected a man to propose to her instead of the other way around.  I can see Marten being the one to propose, just not without a little push from a friend.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #33 on: 25 Jun 2018, 19:11 »

Wow! Clinton having a totally normal reaction to hearing that two people he doesn't really know that well started dating! And of course he would understand that yes, it's happened before, and no, it's not a big deal.

I almost feel like they've switched and Claire is being slightly robophobic here. Clinton is like, okay, and? As he should be.

Now can we just give Clinton HIS fairytale ending? Like, yesterday?

DaiJB

• Utterly clueless.
« Reply #34 on: 25 Jun 2018, 19:35 »

I love Clinton's triumphant stance in the last panel today - do you get the impression he doesn't win many arguments with Claire?   :laugh:

I put 'Tai' in the poll, but that is only in the regular cast - I think Faye might have reason to worry about her mother...

What I really want to see is Marigold's response when she finds out - she just recovers from "The Bone Zone" last week and now her over-active imagination has a whole new kind of relationship to explore...  :-D

"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

OldGoat

« Reply #35 on: 25 Jun 2018, 20:07 »

But Marten doesn't mope or waffle when it comes to Claire - instead he's remarkably decisive.  Where she's concerned, I don't expect to see a return to the old Marty.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #36 on: 25 Jun 2018, 20:17 »

Clinton's younger than Claire. Of course he loses more than his fair share of arguments. In this case, though, not only did he win, but he won on ground of Claire's choosing.

What I really like about the strip is Clinton's almost completely clinical response "Well, it's not like it's the first time..."
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #37 on: 25 Jun 2018, 20:46 »

Clinton's pose reminded me of Body Snatchers, when the pod people scream to alert other pod people  :-D
"DORK! SCREEEEEEEEAAAAACHH!"

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #38 on: 25 Jun 2018, 20:57 »

Honestly, Marigold also isn't really that close to Faye or Bubbles, so she may just be like "okay, cool, whatever." Her entire world is Dale right now, and that's fine with me.

She might be the one exception to the "everybody knew" thing. I don't think Marigold has given Bubbles or Faye too much thought.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 25 Jun 2018, 23:19 »

I think that the big problem here is the Claire has difficulty differentiating between real-life and shipping her favourite fictional characters. It's completely okay for an entire fandom to geek out if a ship is confirmed. It is completely okay for you to be happy for two friends if they get into a relationship. It's slightly weird if you expect everyone even remotely connected to them to geek out about it, as if it were a mass-media event.

Mostly, though, she was hoping to handle her own excitement through the catalyst of telling Clinton to calm down!

Marten is the poster boy for "let's just leave things as they are."

This is true but total inaction requires that no external forces impact on the relationship. That likely isn't the case and he's going to have to make choices if he even wants to maintain the status quo.
~~~~

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #40 on: 26 Jun 2018, 00:22 »

Sorry: Decent Human Being.

Ok, now I am pretty sure THIS would never come from Urban Dictionary.
(As an old fart from the Netherlands, I lean heavily on UB to get this comic and many other online jokes)

And boys being boys, I can see how a boy with a robot hand would not get too worked up about human-robot relationships...

cybersmurf

« Reply #41 on: 26 Jun 2018, 00:37 »

1 For non-USAian readers, some Southerners have a remarkable linguistic ability to pronounce "damned yankee" as one syllable.  There is no really accurate way to render it typorgaphically, it must be heard to be appreciated.

One does not realise how much slang you use until you meet a foreigner who has no idea what you're talking about.
People around here know there's enough non-US readers to give insight to the... more extreme non-standard linguistics, like Southern expressions. And that warms my heart.

I somewhat know what Southern US English sounds like, but I guess I never went far enough south to imagine how you can single syllable damn yankee.

Doghouse

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #42 on: 26 Jun 2018, 00:48 »

Two observations on today's strip (26 June).

Bottom right corner:

"She's been hoist". Not "hoisted", which is American. It's a quote from Shakespeare, who wasn't.
("For tis the sport to have the engineer hoist with his own petard" - Hamlet, Act III, Scene 4).

"Petar(d)":

A rather basic form of early bomb used in the breaking of sieges (especially for blasting through fortification gates). Shaped a bit like a bell with a rim at the mouth end, a bit like a large top hat. You'd run up to the door, nail it mouth-first to the woodwork by the rim (and/or prop it up with a framework a bit like an easel), light the (short) fuse, and run for cover like your life depended on it - because it did. "Hoist with his own petard" is the fanciful image of some poor beggar blown high into the air ("hoist") by the explosion of the bomb he didn't get clear of in time.

Probably related to the French verb "péter", meaning "to fart".
« Last Edit: 26 Jun 2018, 02:06 by Doghouse »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #43 on: 26 Jun 2018, 01:11 »

Seems to be an awful lot of foreshadowing going on right now.

Wondering how long til Clinton lets slip to Marten that Claire has an engagement party plan.
Which leads to Marten talking to Faye about it.
Which leads to some hilarious hi-jinks (remember when we used to have those!? :)  )  but eventually does actually end with the engagement.

(And as soon as ONE set of friends gets engaged... it's like a cascade effect!)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #44 on: 26 Jun 2018, 01:18 »

I'm pretty sure that Jeph has decided that he is moving onto the 'where next for Marten and Claire?' arc.
~~~~

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #45 on: 26 Jun 2018, 01:44 »

I'm pretty sure that Jeph has decided that he is moving onto the 'where next for Marten and Claire?' arc.

Stand By For (in)Action!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #46 on: 26 Jun 2018, 01:57 »

That does seem to be the most likely case yes. Probably because both are busy in school so they don't have a lot of time to get together. Add to that the fact that their friends circles are more adjacent than overlapping and that it seem Clinton goes to a school near, but not in Northampton. He's mentioned several times when visiting that he needs to catch a bus to get home. That's how he met Brun after all.  Since everything seems to be pretty much in walking distance for the cast, that means he doesn't live here, but close enough that he can hop on a regular bus to visit his friends and family in Northampton often.

Clinton’s at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst, about 10 miles from downtown Northampton on the other side of the river. There’s pretty frequent bus service between them.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cybersmurf

« Reply #47 on: 26 Jun 2018, 02:49 »

(And as soon as ONE set of friends gets engaged... it's like a cascade effect!)

Just wait for someone to get pregnant.

Probably Emily by IVF, because she decided to have some kind of superbaby.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #48 on: 26 Jun 2018, 05:55 »

Mostly, though, she was hoping to handle her own excitement through the catalyst of telling Clinton to calm down!

Excellent insight! 

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #49 on: 26 Jun 2018, 06:54 »

Savor that victory.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up