THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Announcement Time! Who will freak out the most from Faye/Bubbles?

Clinton
- 1 (2.1%)
Tai
- 9 (18.8%)
Steve
- 2 (4.2%)
Emily
- 3 (6.3%)
Marigold
- 6 (12.5%)
Dale
- 0 (0%)
Dora
- 1 (2.1%)
Penelope
- 5 (10.4%)
Cosette
- 1 (2.1%)
Other
- 20 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3771 - 3775 (25-29 June 2018)  (Read 26465 times)

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
Re: WCDT Strips 3771 - 3775 (25-29 June 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 29 Jun 2018, 07:18 »

Some foods are quite good dried, like dates, tomatoes, apricots, etc.  Grapes are not one of them.
I beg to differ on that point even though I agree wholeheartedly on every negative point made regarding raisins so far.

The following list is some of the more positive uses of raisins
  • Ground with poppy seeds and used in baked goods
  • As part of a white wine sauce on chicken - though most find this too sweet and requires a long cooking time
  • Golden Raisins in Porridge. What you Americans call oatmeal. They are first soaked then water brought to a boil before adding the meal and cooking.
  • Again Golden Raisins but this time used in Stolen. Think of it as the likeable predecessor to fruitcake and cousin to Panettone.
  • Panettone
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #101 on: 29 Jun 2018, 08:01 »

My mother in law makes stollen with marzipan. (I do not like marizipan.)

The best bagels are everything, or all dressed, bagels. The second best is jalepeno cheese.

Waking up early is for chumps. Source: me, a chump.

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #102 on: 29 Jun 2018, 08:06 »

I am quite fond of how Clinton has slowly learned how to talk to Brun in a way that they both can understand. They do make an interesting pair; it will be interesting to see long term what that means beyond that. I'm not as fond of the triangle that's going on right now with Eliot. I don't think that's going to last much longer no matter what comes of the Brun/Clinton relationship.

Beyond that, a good oatmeal raisn cookle blows away 99% of choclate chip cookies. Nom nom nom  :angel:
Emily is the Avatar.

maxRNG

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #103 on: 29 Jun 2018, 08:57 »

Beyond that, a good oatmeal raisn cookle blows away 99% of choclate chip cookies. Nom nom nom  :angel:
I'd argue that an okay oatmeal raisin cookie is better than an okay chocolate chip cookie, but a great chocolate chip cookie is better than a great oatmeal raisin cookie. Same applies to cantaloupe vs honeydew - cantaloupe has a smaller delta of quality (can't be as good, but also can't be as bad either); honeydew needs to be great to be worthwhile, but when it's great, it's amazing.
"I need pancakes before I can process this."

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #104 on: 29 Jun 2018, 09:42 »

The only time I ever enjoyed getting up early were cases where I could enjoy a cup of coffee outside, under the pre-dawn stars in silence. There's a time I find, usually a little before 6 where everything just seemed still and full of possibilities. For me it was a good time to relax a little and center myself before heading off to work.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #105 on: 29 Jun 2018, 10:03 »

Move over, ambrosia, a fresh out of the oven poppy seed bagel, cooled down just enough to put in your mouth without burning it, is Food of the Gods. 

A little shipping goes a long, long way.

Those who praise raisins have never kept rabbits.

That is all.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #106 on: 29 Jun 2018, 18:29 »

Some foods are quite good dried, like dates, tomatoes, apricots, etc.  Grapes are not one of them.
I beg to differ on that point even though I agree wholeheartedly on every negative point made regarding raisins so far.

The following list is some of the more positive uses of raisins
  • Ground with poppy seeds and used in baked goods
  • As part of a white wine sauce on chicken - though most find this too sweet and requires a long cooking time
  • Golden Raisins in Porridge. What you Americans call oatmeal. They are first soaked then water brought to a boil before adding the meal and cooking.
  • Again Golden Raisins but this time used in Stolen. Think of it as the likeable predecessor to fruitcake and cousin to Panettone.
  • Panettone
  • Ants On A Log
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #107 on: 29 Jun 2018, 20:06 »

Announcement Time! Who will freak out the most from Faye/Bubbles?

Clinton    1 (2.1%)
Tai    9 (19.1%)
Steve    2 (4.3%)
Emily    3 (6.4%)
Marigold    6 (12.8%)
Dale    0 (0%)
Dora    1 (2.1%)
Penelope    5 (10.6%)
Cosette    1 (2.1%)
Other    19 (40.4%) <--- Obviously I didn't account for everyone in the cast.

Total Members Voted: 47

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #108 on: 29 Jun 2018, 21:19 »

Don't get me wrong, I love raisins. I have them in my morning oa... porridge, and love oatmeal raisin cookies.  Cinnamon's good too, in the appropriate place.  But I'm a bagel purist.  I grew up in a Jewish household in the 60's and 70's, long before sweet bagels were a thing (blueberry?  Really?  THIS IS NOT A MUFFIN!!). 

Bagels, to me, are a basic bread, but they can be savory (toasted onion, the aforementioned poppyseed, sesame, and I'd KILL for a good egg bagel - nobody around here carries them, I've not seen one in nearly 20 years). 

Toasted with a shmear of cream cheese and some thin sliced nova lox, they are the perfect food, handed down from god to Moses (the stone tablets were just there to hold the bagels...).  Sweet does not hold up well under Nova lox. 

Although I was fond of the Bialy bagels that a local place had in the 80's when I was in college - seemed to be an "everything" bagel, poppyseeds, sesame seeds, onions, kosher salt, and a few other things I was never clear on but they were delicious (a bit messy in the toaster, though). 

So that's my bagel story.  Sorry to have hijacked the last day of the week...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #109 on: 29 Jun 2018, 21:25 »

Not a hijacking at all, just thread-drift.  I tend to prefer everything bagels, with either the aforementioned cream cheese and lox, but adding tomatoes, and red onion.  If those aren't available, I go with hummus with said tomatoes and onions.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #110 on: 29 Jun 2018, 22:37 »

I hate how raisin cookies look JUST like chocolate chip, and bit into them looking forward to that chocolate hit and suddenly you're "NOOOOOO I'VE BEEN BETRAYED!"
Surely you meant that the other way around.

oddtail

« Reply #111 on: 30 Jun 2018, 08:48 »

I hate how raisin cookies look JUST like chocolate chip, and bit into them looking forward to that chocolate hit and suddenly you're "NOOOOOO I'VE BEEN BETRAYED!"

Bah. Grapes are *only* remotely edible when made into raisins. Well - that, or wine.

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #112 on: 30 Jun 2018, 09:18 »

What strikes me about Friday's strip is that Brun doesn't really open her eyes until Clinton asks to accompany her. She goes from sleepy-looking in panels 1& 2 to wide awake in panel 4.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #113 on: 30 Jun 2018, 09:42 »

I think that Brun waking up is at least in part due to her not understanding the reasoning behind Clinton's implication that she would 'mind' his company. Once again, he confuses her with the subtleties of his everyday social thinking.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #114 on: 30 Jun 2018, 14:44 »

Bah. Grapes are *only* remotely edible when made into raisins. Well - that, or wine.

You are history's greatest monster!

Grapes are delicious, especially if you put them into an extremely cold fridge and have them on an especially warm day.

In fact, I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #115 on: 30 Jun 2018, 15:04 »

Also, cinnamon-raisin bagels are an abomination.

[sarcasm] You're dead to me, Carl-E. [/sarcasm]

Bagels, to me, are a basic bread, but they can be savory (toasted onion, the aforementioned poppyseed, sesame, and I'd KILL for a good egg bagel - nobody around here carries them, I've not seen one in nearly 20 years). 

Toasted with a shmear of cream cheese and some thin sliced nova lox, they are the perfect food, handed down from god to Moses (the stone tablets were just there to hold the bagels...).  Sweet does not hold up well under Nova lox. 

I take it back. You're alright. A good egg bagel is as close as humanity has ever come to the divine. To taste that perfect balance of cream cheese and ribbon thin lox on a fresh bagel is to experience the numinous.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #116 on: 30 Jun 2018, 20:42 »

I sort of laugh at the things they call 'bagels' these days. 

Hint:  If the people making them didn't boil the dough, it's not actually a bagel.

What we have around now is a sort of firm soft roll that's vaguely toroidal.  When you put them down on a plate they don't even clack.

Don't get me wrong, these soft rolls are actually pretty good.  But they're not bagels.

OldGoat

« Reply #117 on: 01 Jul 2018, 09:52 »

I am neither Jewish nor from NYC, but I was initiated at George's House of Bagels1 in San Francisco.  I must agree with Morituri - only a water bagel is true.

1 Instead of spending money on a bigger sign, they vented their kitchen exhaust fan out the front of the building on to Geary Street.  The rest is history.

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #118 on: 02 Jul 2018, 00:04 »

You are history's greatest monster!

Grapes are delicious, especially if you put them into an extremely cold fridge and have them on an especially warm day.

In fact, I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

Sweet
Sweet grapes with a very sharp cheddar? Heavenly.

Storel

« Reply #119 on: 05 Jul 2018, 17:51 »

I am neither Jewish nor from NYC, but I was initiated at George's House of Bagels1 in San Francisco.  I must agree with Morituri - only a water bagel is true.

1 Instead of spending money on a bigger sign, they vented their kitchen exhaust fan out the front of the building on to Geary Street.  The rest is history.

Where on Geary? I lived in San Francisco for most of my life, but I don't recall ever seeing George's House of Bagels.

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up on Google Maps -- the sign just says House of Bagels, and I've seen them many times. It was the "George's" part that was confusing me.

OldGoat

« Reply #120 on: 05 Jul 2018, 17:58 »

Where on Geary? I lived in San Francisco for most of my life, but I don't recall ever seeing George's House of Bagels.

Edit: Never mind, I looked it up on Google Maps -- the sign just says House of Bagels, and I've seen them many times. It was the "George's" part that was confusing me.
That was in the early '70s.  I don't know when George's name was dropped.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up