THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The QC Summer Vacation - Where would you like to see the main cast go?

Amity Island (because it is supposedly safe in the water)
- 1 (3%)
California (to see all of Marten's childhood chums)
- 6 (18.2%)
Niagra Falls (because someone is SURE to want to ride a barrel)
- 1 (3%)
Hawaii (volcanoes, fire gods and all)
- 3 (9.1%)
Orlando (including a possible meet-up with Hannerdad)
- 1 (3%)
Mongolia (to stay at Hannelore's village and meet a Yeti)
- 4 (12.1%)
A new space hotel (partial-g and freefall shenanigans)
- 9 (27.3%)
Paris (because we all loved that strip set in a French coffee shop)
- 4 (12.1%)
Mesozoic World in the Pacific Ocean (because bandwagon)
- 1 (3%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 3 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3776 - 3780 (2nd to 6th July 2018)  (Read 21958 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT strips 3776 - 3780 (2nd to 6th July 2018)
« on: 01 Jul 2018, 14:27 »

Okay, I'll freely admit that I'm short of good ideas at the moment so I thought that a summer-themed poll was in order. Where would you like Jeph to send members of the cast on a summer vacation-themed arc?

I'm partial to California as we could have lots of interesting reunions with Marten's childhood chums. Bonus points for the most unconventional ones have settled down, become stock brokers and have 2.4 white picket fences. Maybe also the androids could enjoy interacting with their kin at Disneyland?

As for this week in the comic? I'm thinking that Jeph is going to clear up a few ambiguities with Brun and Clinton which may or may not impact on Elliott's personal happiness.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: WCDT strips 3776 - 3780 (2nd to 6th July 2018)
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2018, 14:52 »

A "new" space hotel?

Station is going to be a tad bit miffed at that.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2 on: 01 Jul 2018, 16:17 »

Hell, which I am fairly certain has to be cooler than it is here.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jul 2018, 17:46 »

Other.

Another visit to Station? :D With Bubbles along?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jul 2018, 18:28 »

Emily's parent's lake house. 

I know, it's been done, but I think it's a handy retreat for members of the cast. 

Of course, they're all still wearing jackets - it may well be 2019 before it's summer in North Hampton again. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jul 2018, 18:43 »

Of course, they're all still wearing jackets - it may well be 2019 before it's summer in North Hampton again. 
Brun is sending some really mixed signals by wearing a jacket and shorts...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #6 on: 01 Jul 2018, 18:46 »

New comic's up! 

I'd like to meet that fire investigator.  Does this mean her insurance won't be paying out for the lost clocks? 

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #7 on: 01 Jul 2018, 19:02 »

I think that's just a hoody. No idea about Mass, but where I'm from the hoody/shorts combo is a common spring outfit.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #8 on: 01 Jul 2018, 19:09 »

Someday a coroner is going to write “gross existential negligence” on my death certificate.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #9 on: 01 Jul 2018, 19:09 »

New comic's up! 

I'd like to meet that fire investigator.  Does this mean her insurance won't be paying out for the lost clocks?
What insurance?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #10 on: 01 Jul 2018, 19:27 »

You'd hope the bar itself had insurance. She could get her $ back through that.
Just another Joe like 46

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #11 on: 01 Jul 2018, 19:32 »

Her responses shortly after the fire lead me to believe the owner of the bar was the shady type that wouldn't have had proper insurance.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #12 on: 01 Jul 2018, 22:11 »

At least she's not rockin' socks with sandals Seattle style.  Knee socks & sneakers are hopelessly retro in these parts.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #13 on: 01 Jul 2018, 23:19 »

This is really a sweet strip in many ways. Knowing what we do about Brun and suspecting what we suspect, starting a conversation with Clinton based on socially-appropriate small talk was really a huge step for her to take. Indeed, panel 5 makes me wonder if Brun in worrying that the negative emotional content of their first meeting is unfavourably colouring his perception of her. She has nothing to worry about but it is likely something he is going to have to directly tell her for her to be fully reassured.

So, it seems that Brun's old workplace was so hazardous that literally all it would have taken to burn the place down would be for someone to snap their fingers at the wrong moment. Which is cool, in a certain terrifying way!

You'd hope the bar itself had insurance. She could get her $ back through that.

Brun has already talked to her boss about the insurance claim. He said that he might just take the insurance settlement and skip to Tahiti. He also said it in a way that made Brun think that it was the most likely thing he would choose to do and that leaving her high and dry was part of the joke.
~~~~

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #14 on: 02 Jul 2018, 00:20 »

Poor Brun. Likely not getting a payout on her lost clocks...

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #15 on: 02 Jul 2018, 05:46 »

Heh. A few years ago I got a new manager at work. So I was standing around with everybody else at the conveyor line where we unload product from the truck, and he makes the rounds introducing himself - though I don't notice till he gets to me. So he goes "Hey there, I'm X, nice to meet you!" and I go "Cool, nice to meet you too!" and he walks off. Ten seconds later I'm like "Oh shit! I forgot to introduce myself!" and run after him while the guys around me laugh "yeah that's why he looked so confused". (I didn't even notice he was confused).

Also that exact same thing in the comic happens to me constantly...it's hard to remember when you're supposed to make socially-appropriate gestures, and exactly what gesture to pair with a particular gesture.

With enough self-training and perception, one can pick up on...well, at least some subtle cues. As Brun stated, she was able to read what was going on with Clinton at the time, since he made enough outward signs and speech implications for her to parse through. But even a little masking can make it far harder to figure out.

And she also picked up on Clinton's subtle condescension in panel 3. I think she also picked up that it wasn't intentional; he was trying to be nice - so she firmly but gently corrected him. If he was being intentionally condescending I'd expect a response more along the line of "I see. So you think I'm stupid." and disengage. As for Clinton, he's trying to be nice, but doing it in a way that NT people stereotypically do - he's essentially saying "Nah, you aren't broken, remember that one time you did the thing just fine? You're really fine as anybody else." This both denies aspects of herself that she KNOWS about herself, difficulties that she KNOWS she has, and implies that having them makes her less-than; that the standard - the "normalcy" - is neurotypical.

Which is something that I think the autistic community pushes back on - you can understand that as "differently abled" rather than "disabled". All that said...sigh...it's nice that this is a comic, because in real life, even if a person isn't explicitly bigoted against autistic people...well, there's a lot of subtle social cues, from gestures, facial expressions, tone of voice, to even the information-light "conversation about the conversation itself" way they speak that...if you're just not any good at hitting those notes, people will read you as "off", or "retarded", or just not someone they really have any interest in bothering with. Humans evolved to be social animals, after all - you gotta do the social thing right to really be included in anything.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #16 on: 02 Jul 2018, 20:19 »

New comic up!

Poor Elliot.  :lol:

Gyrre

« Reply #17 on: 02 Jul 2018, 21:06 »

I'm curious to learn where Elliot is from or what his childhood was like (I'm well aware of the amount of sad the latter could potentially hold).
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cybersmurf

« Reply #18 on: 02 Jul 2018, 22:13 »

Elliot, dude, how do you even get around, with your foot constantly crammed up your mouth?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #19 on: 02 Jul 2018, 22:43 »

That's what I've been doing wrong in my job search. I haven't been applying at bars.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #20 on: 02 Jul 2018, 22:49 »

Elliot, dude, how do you even get around, with your foot constantly crammed up your mouth?
He's exceptionally not wrong, though. Brun is doing barback work which is less than ideal, but that's still IN THE FIELD of bartending. This is the same argument Dora had with Penelope about not wanting to put the effort in to climb the job ladder.
Just going through life.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 02 Jul 2018, 23:25 »

I do kind of worry about Elliott though. Admittedly, some of what he said could be considered insulting but I worry far more about how he's looking for reasons to remove himself socially from this interaction. By all means apologise if someone takes offence but what he's doing is in some way rubbing it in and is only hurting himself and drawing attention to what he said and emphasising why people should take offence! I think that he has some real strong self-esteem issues (I also base this on the fact that he didn't seem to understand why Renee reacted so strongly to a sight of his unshirted body).

Brun isn't wrong though. Claire is going to have to be ready to do some other jobs until she's able to find her 'dream job' (if ever). There's really no good result from waiting until it comes along!
~~~~

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #22 on: 03 Jul 2018, 08:09 »

WRT the poll - I chose other which in this case is something a bit more practical and within the realm of "normal"1 possibility.

I put forth either Quebec City - all the ambiance of Paris without worrying about the prevailing wind
Or Montreal - just as picturesque but a little less tourist centric, a bit more cosmopolitan and the veneer is a whole lot thinner
Bonuses are - travel costs, need for passports2, The friendly veneer is thin so you will be ignored as an outsider just like in Paris
Warning - the language spoken is NOT Modern Parisian French but that of King Louis so you WILL BE at a loss if attempting to use high-school or college french. [let the fun begin]

1 Normal in this case refers to the choices of a statically average American somewhere in the northeast who would actually travel out-of-state.
2 I am assuming here that the setting is sans xenophobes holding political power except in Quebec
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #23 on: 03 Jul 2018, 08:39 »

Bonus: In Montreal, pretty much everyone speaks English in the downtown region, that I've seen. I suspect tourist and business interests.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #24 on: 03 Jul 2018, 08:42 »

After much disappointment and angst, Claire will be hired as Chief Librarian for Sam's high school.  The set-up will be establishing a familial relationship between them at home to allow for humor-generating situational awkwardness between them at school.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jul 2018, 08:43 »

Warning - the language spoken is NOT Modern Parisian French but that of King Louis so you WILL BE at a loss if attempting to use high-school or college french. [let the fun begin]

I know a guy from Montreal who regularly has to travel to France (he's a particle physicist, so he has to go to CERN every once in a while), and he said that when he tries to speak French in France the people there automatically switch to English because they can't understand his French.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #26 on: 03 Jul 2018, 09:06 »

I know Brun doesn’t want to be a bar back, but I thought it was a stepping stone to get back to bartending.  Maybe she wants to do something else.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #27 on: 03 Jul 2018, 11:23 »

Brun isn't wrong though. Claire is going to have to be ready to do some other jobs until she's able to find her 'dream job' (if ever). There's really no good result from waiting until it comes along!

I think Claire's prepared for the fact that she won't be getting her dream job right away, but there's a huge difference in "I'm a barback for now but my goal is to get back to being a bartender" and "I'm a barback for now but I have a master's degree in library science and want to be a librarian."  Claire is probably going to be looking for something that at least relates to books or knowledge.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #28 on: 03 Jul 2018, 15:39 »

I've been to  a restaurant where the walls were lined with bookshelves. You could grab a book to peruse while waiting for your dinner. Maybe buy it on your way out.

Also, I second Québec City.  You can bone up for it by reading "Frivolesque" .

« Last Edit: 03 Jul 2018, 15:51 by Perfectly Reasonable »
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #29 on: 03 Jul 2018, 19:38 »

I'm really starting to enjoy the Bakery Gang becoming their own separate social group from the core Coffee of Doom pals. This strip indicates that Roko might become the fifth member of said gang (after Clinton, Brun, Renee, and Elliot, natch), which would be interesting. I would love to see Roko have some interactions that are neither professional nor extremely awkward, because that's most of what we've gotten from her so far.

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #30 on: 03 Jul 2018, 20:27 »

How do you cuddle a baby AI?
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Gyrre

« Reply #31 on: 03 Jul 2018, 20:49 »

How do you cuddle a baby AI?
Good question.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #32 on: 03 Jul 2018, 21:09 »

I think there's a word for the main action of the scene taking place in the background instead of the foreground, but I forget it. Jeph does it really well in this strip, is what I'm trying to say.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #33 on: 03 Jul 2018, 22:01 »

I think there's a word for the main action of the scene taking place in the background instead of the foreground, but I forget it. Jeph does it really well in this strip, is what I'm trying to say.

Funny Background Event* can also occur in the foreground as well.

* - TV Tropes link. Click at your own risk.
Just another Joe like 46

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #34 on: 03 Jul 2018, 22:25 »

The Secret Bakery must make some really good stuff for Roko to keep returning.  She probably suspects that Rene suspects her fetish, but can't just choose an oblivious baker. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #35 on: 03 Jul 2018, 23:14 »

I've long held the opinion that the vaccine for bigotry is early and intensive social contact. If you've known people all your life, then it's very hard to 'other' them. You're still free to hate them on a personal level because you meet them every and they're a complete and utter asshole but you are unlikely to have bigoted freelings towards the. ECI seem to have had the same idea about humans and AIs.

How does one cuddle a baby AI? Apparently by wiping down their casing with an anti-static cleaning cloth!

The Secret Bakery must make some really good stuff for Roko to keep returning.  She probably suspects that Rene suspects her fetish, but can't just choose an oblivious baker. 

I'm wondering if it's a case of proximity. It's close enough to Roko's apartment that she can race down to get her fix and race back with a minimal chance of anyone else noticing. I mean, Roko's 'shame' body language is screaming out in both panels 2 and 4 today; this is not something with which she feels comfortable. I've said it before but she really needs to relax over this issue or she's going to end up damaging herself by continually overheating!
~~~~

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #36 on: 04 Jul 2018, 06:38 »

I've long held the opinion that the vaccine for bigotry is early and intensive social contact. If you've known people all your life, then it's very hard to 'other' them. You're still free to hate them on a personal level because you meet them every and they're a complete and utter asshole but you are unlikely to have bigoted freelings towards the. ECI seem to have had the same idea about humans and AIs.

How does one cuddle a baby AI? Apparently by wiping down their casing with an anti-static cleaning cloth!

I'm wondering if it's a case of proximity. It's close enough to Roko's apartment that she can race down to get her fix and race back with a minimal chance of anyone else noticing. I mean, Roko's 'shame' body language is screaming out in both panels 2 and 4 today; this is not something with which she feels comfortable. I've said it before but she really needs to relax over this issue or she's going to end up damaging herself by continually overheating!

If knowing the “other” reduced bigotry then sexism and racism would’ve ended during the antebellum South. HOW you know POC and women matters.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #37 on: 04 Jul 2018, 06:46 »

Having grown up in an ethnically diverse area, I know that for me personally and many others it removed the 'other-ing' factor, but for the people it didn't do that for, it made them outright racist. It mostly created a polarisation. This is why these things need to be worked on at every level.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #38 on: 04 Jul 2018, 13:01 »

Bread porn... Isn't Roko recognizing Clinton as her savior from x nights before?

Also: I voted Paris, because I really would like to see the cast transported where I live. It could be fun, I think...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #39 on: 04 Jul 2018, 13:20 »

Quote from: Jeph Jacques
Don't think we don't see you, Roko
Dude, YOU PUT HER IN THE FOREGROUND!
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #40 on: 04 Jul 2018, 15:44 »

"What, WHAT?  I'm just buying some ordinary, perfectly legal baked goods... THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!"
 :oops:

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #41 on: 04 Jul 2018, 16:01 »

"What, WHAT?  I'm just buying some ordinary, perfectly legal baked goods... THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT!"
 :oops:
Indeed, there is nothing wrong with that. Elliot's right - don't kink-shame.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #42 on: 04 Jul 2018, 18:59 »

Comic! I'm surprised Roko was still there,  I'd have expected her to bounce.
Anyone here ever make soda bread? I looked it up in response to this comic and it got me all inspired. Is it more difficult than it sounds?
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #43 on: 04 Jul 2018, 19:08 »

What was that about Tenchi Muyo, Marten?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #44 on: 04 Jul 2018, 19:42 »

Comic! I'm surprised Roko was still there,  I'd have expected her to bounce.
Anyone here ever make soda bread? I looked it up in response to this comic and it got me all inspired. Is it more difficult than it sounds?

Not really. It's easy to learn how to do it, and just requires a bit of practice to learn how to do it well. It's a great way to introduce children to breadmaking, actually. The main trick is simply to avoid overworking the dough.

I think the interesting thing about soda bread, or quick bread in general, is how different cultures have their own version (damper in Australia).

I can certainly understand how a baker would appreciate the beauty in the simplicity of soda bread.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #45 on: 04 Jul 2018, 21:12 »

Is the bread fresh out of the oven or is Roko emitting steam again? 

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #46 on: 04 Jul 2018, 21:23 »

Is the bread fresh out of the oven or is Roko emitting steam again?
Yes.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #47 on: 04 Jul 2018, 23:21 »

Wow! Panels 1 and 2 are super 'Awkward Zone', aren't they? This is the thing about Elliot and Clinton's relationship right now: They're both hyper-aware that their feelings are ambiguous and neither of them are entirely sure what ground is forbidden to tread upon. This leads to this 'small-talk tap-dance' where they're trying to remain casual without seeming to appear evasive. It isn't a comfortable thing to observe or to experience.

Clinton has learned a critical lesson in today's strip, though: It's a mistake to falsely claim to know all about your friends' interests when you don't. There is nothing insulting or wrong about saying: "No, I don't know what that is. Could you explain that to me?" Elliot is nice enough to assume Clinton is being witty but someone else might have felt that they were being patronised or even insulted in panel 4.

Poor Roko though! She needs to get out of there or at least be distracted before her heat exchangers break down under the stress she's putting them under!
~~~~

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #48 on: 04 Jul 2018, 23:22 »

Re: Elliot/Clinton

Getting to knooooooooooooooooooowww youuuuuuuuuuu....
Getting to know aaaaalll abouuuuuuuut youuuuuuuuuuuuu.....

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #49 on: 04 Jul 2018, 23:54 »

Wow! Panels 1 and 2 are super 'Awkward Zone', aren't they? This is the thing about Elliot and Clinton's relationship right now: They're both hyper-aware that their feelings are ambiguous and neither of them are entirely sure what ground is forbidden to tread upon. This leads to this 'small-talk tap-dance' where they're trying to remain casual without seeming to appear evasive. It isn't a comfortable thing to observe or to experience.

Both of them?
I mean Elliot having a crush on Clinton has been made rather obvious, but Clinton doesn't strike me as being romantically interested in Elliot, or guys in general. His (Clintons) awkwardness in todays comic looks more like 'I have no clue what we're talking about', than 'I might have feelings for you' to me.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up