THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 09:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dark on Netflix  (Read 5578 times)

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
Dark on Netflix
« on: 18 Dec 2017, 14:26 »

Just started watching the German Netfix original 'Dark'. After the first 2 episodes, I am pretty much hooked. Great acting, compelling, but not necessarily very likable, characters, and a great intrigue at the center that no doubt will slowly unfold.

Reviews on many websites will tell you that it's like 'Stranger Things', which I don't really agree with. Sure, it has teenagers in a small town, 80s elements (the show plays in 3 different time periods: 2019, 1986, and 1953), a mystery, and a government-type institution that may or may not have something to do with the intrigue, but that's it.

Honestly, this show is darker, has more adult themes, is not really nostalgic about the 80s, and has more a sense of unease over it than the Spielbergian atmosphere in Stranger Things.

I would describe this show as some sort of combination of Stranger Things, Twin Peaks, and Donnie Darko.

For what it's worth, I think I might like it even more than Stranger Things and Mindhunter, and I love those 2 shows!

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: Dark on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2019, 10:44 »

Just updating this since season 2 has premiered on Netflix.

I'm only 3 episodes in but again love it. Without giving much more away, let's just say they don't stick to the 3 time periods above. It remains very compelling, with quite the philosophical slant on the extent to which we are in control of our fate, and interesting in-show discussion of the bootstrap paradox as well.

Highly engrossing, I wish this show had an even bigger following, but I suppose the fact that the number of characters in different time period makes it a bit hard to follow is holding it back. Plus perhaps it's less good when dubbed, not sure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up