THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 03:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3821-3825 (3-7 September 2018)  (Read 40375 times)

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT Strips 3821-3825 (3-7 September 2018)
« Reply #150 on: 06 Sep 2018, 09:58 »

As an aside, I feel like Claire's outfits have been steadily showing more body-confidence since she and Marten started hanging out (I'm including the run-up to the relationship).  I think it's a really nifty detail showing that the relationship is a healthy force in her life.

Or maybe it's coincidental and I'm just reading too much into things.  Like I do.
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #151 on: 06 Sep 2018, 10:01 »

It boggles my mind that Marten has managed to make it to 20-something-adult years old by sewing money into the mattress. I've had a savings account since I was like, 10. My primary savings - and my credit card - are still with the federal credit union I signed up for as a middle school student.

I suspect this is far more common than you might think.

Especially those who are on the lower end economically. For many people it is a literal impossibility to save money in any way. They are not only living paycheck to paycheck, but more like the paycheck runs out part way through. The idea of savings is a luxury that some people simply and literally cannot afford.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #152 on: 06 Sep 2018, 10:34 »

It boggles my mind that Marten has managed to make it to 20-something-adult years old by sewing money into the mattress. I've had a savings account since I was like, 10. My primary savings - and my credit card - are still with the federal credit union I signed up for as a middle school student.

What's the AYR APY on your account? Google sez best current rate for a standard savings account is 1.85% - with inflation in the U.S at 2.9%
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2018, 02:02 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #153 on: 06 Sep 2018, 11:04 »

What's the AYR on your account? Google sez best current rate for a standard savings account is 1.85% - with inflation in the U.S at 2
9%

I really like Ally's interface and service, which gives 1.85%. I realize you can get 2% at some, but the difference is too small to bother switching for me.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #154 on: 06 Sep 2018, 14:05 »

What's the AYR on your account? Google sez best current rate for a standard savings account is 1.85% - with inflation in the U.S at 2.9%
I have Bank of America (yeah, I know...), and their interest rate is "LOL no."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #155 on: 06 Sep 2018, 14:19 »

What's the AYR on your account? Google sez best current rate for a standard savings account is 1.85% - with inflation in the U.S at 2.9%
Probably .1% or something. The savings account page on the CU's website has a big splashy table of their various specialty schemes but nothing specifically about plain old savings accounts. The closest thing to that is the summary at the top which says nothing really except that it's $5 to open one

Yeah, looked in my savings account activity summary, .1%. Maybe it's higher if there's more money in it, I only have 1700, so I get a few pennies

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #156 on: 06 Sep 2018, 16:10 »

Honestly, other than an emergency fund, if you have ANY debt, you are better off paying off debt than putting money in savings anyway.

(I mean, even paying off a house or car faster is getting you a better return on your money than savings).
« Last Edit: 06 Sep 2018, 16:28 by Emperor Norton »

no one special

• Curry sauce
  • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
« Reply #157 on: 06 Sep 2018, 16:33 »

When I saw that they were at a bank, my first thought was that they were at a blood bank, that Marten had won the argument/discussion.
Quote from: Kai
if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #158 on: 06 Sep 2018, 17:11 »

Honestly, other than an emergency fund, if you have ANY debt, you are better off paying off debt than putting money in savings anyway.

(I mean, even paying off a house or car faster is getting you a better return on your money than savings).

That's why offset mortgages are so good.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #159 on: 06 Sep 2018, 17:45 »

Every now and then I try to match places in QC Northampton with their real-life counterparts. “Fitzsimmons” in panel 1 isn’t just an Agents of SHIELD reference; it’s also a reference to the real Fitzwilly’s Restaurant on Main Street in Northampton.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #160 on: 06 Sep 2018, 18:13 »

I get the impression that Marten has no emergency fund, hence starting one first.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #161 on: 06 Sep 2018, 20:11 »

COMIC 3825

MORE METACOMMENTARY
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #162 on: 06 Sep 2018, 23:00 »

Here I am in my mid forties and I haven't had a savings account in almost 20 years though I do have a checking account.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #163 on: 06 Sep 2018, 23:29 »

I really think that Marten and Tai should tell their significant others about just how they feel about them. If nothing else, their response will be cute to see!

This strip emphasises just how similar the Marten/Claire and the Dora/Tai pairings have become, both in the broad brush-strokes of their personalities and also in their feelings for each other. I wonder if we may see Dora and Claire having a similar conversation in which they realise that they have similar insecurities and frustrations and decide to set aside the awkwardness of their mutual connection with Marten and try to be friends?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

wlewisiii

« Reply #164 on: 07 Sep 2018, 06:05 »

Here I am in my mid forties and I haven't had a savings account in almost 20 years though I do have a checking account.

Sa-v-ings? What is this ... thing... you call sa-v-ings?

In my 55 years I have never had a good enough job where savings was really possible. If I get past a month with out an overdraft fee, I consider myself lucky.
Emily is the Avatar.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #165 on: 07 Sep 2018, 07:42 »

True, true, true....you outta have a savings account.  But the reality is that it doesn't become possible until you reach a certain income tipping point, and that point is a moving target for many young adults.

I remember hitting the tipping point.  I was (and am) pretty frugal but I wasn't settling for a monastic lifestyle, either.  I'd borrowed a few $K to buy a dependable used car, had made the last payment, and was looking at some extra cash each month when the light came on - "Goat," sez Self, "If you keep paying that money to you instead of the damn bank, you'll have cash when something makes you yell 'Oh shit!' and may even be able to buy the next car without borrowing."

It worked.  Goatfrau and I still ain't rich, but we don't owe a dime, the kid is through college, and we pay off all the plastic at the end of every month.

Nighthawk700

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #166 on: 07 Sep 2018, 07:49 »

"You get that feeling like 'okay you won the friggin lottery with this one, don't fuck it up"

Every single day, and we've been married for over 15 years now!

dutchrvl

« Reply #167 on: 07 Sep 2018, 08:22 »

That is a given. To be honest, even en emergency fund should only be a fairly minimal one as paying off debt (especially CC debt) is much, much more important. Especially putting money in a savings account when you're still paying interest on CC debt is really just rapidly flushing money down the toilet...

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #168 on: 07 Sep 2018, 10:51 »

See the collections at damnyouautocorrect.com.
Also be very wary of all those Tiny Hippos.

As for saving, I also started young but once I was getting close to middleschool and getting actual summer jobs discovered that the interest I was getting was next to nothing [like today] yet was being charged transaction fees for taking anything out. It was a specifically set up and promoted as a kids savings account and they were charging fees on it .... pissed preteen me right off. Went straight across the hall and up the mall 20 feet to a different bank that had just opened a branch there, which I have stuck with since then. The first one was taken over and changed names at least three times since then. The one I am with? I have been a client longer than any of the employees have worked there.

Anyhow, growing up poor in a frugal household ingrains frugal into you and it never goes away - I am called cheap at times but I don't mind - when I  spend larger sums on "stuff" or needs, I still suffer pangs of buyers remorse. My savings account transformed into a checking account and as checkes are being phased out it is again transforming into some chimera of an investment account. Still it is comforting to know that I have that buffer when things go plaid.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #169 on: 07 Sep 2018, 11:42 »

In the UK there is a particularly high emphasis on the virtues of owning a house.  This means loads of people have mortgages, and there is little reason to have a savings account because the money which you'd put into it is better used paying down the mortgage (make sure you get one that allows this - astoundingly not all do).  Then the savings account is just a way to maintain sufficient liquidity for annual holidays and emergencies - and many people find that simply keeping a healthy balance in their current (=checking) account is handy enough, as the interest on a quick-access savings account will not be impressive anyway.  Pensions savings are another good place to put money; and I guess the difference in how pensions (and medical care) are handled in the UK and the US also feeds into the decision about how important a savings account is.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Storel

« Reply #170 on: 07 Sep 2018, 13:25 »

Marten's expression in today's last panel seems... off, to me. It's cute, it's cartoony, but it just doesn't look like Marten.

Actually, Tai looks a bit odd to me too. Maybe I'm only just now starting to notice Jeph's latest style change.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #171 on: 07 Sep 2018, 13:58 »

Yeah, I'm no great fan of Jeph's latest art change either, particularly in removing full lips from several female characters. In Dora's case, it just makes her harder to differentiate from Marten!

Of course, I will never forgive Jeph for chopping off Bubbles's long hair!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #172 on: 07 Sep 2018, 14:12 »

In fairness, I work in education. I have no savings but one of the best pensions you can get.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pallanox

• Furry furrier
« Reply #173 on: 07 Sep 2018, 16:46 »

Off topic : I wonder what's up with padma?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #174 on: 07 Sep 2018, 16:50 »

She's since moved back to California after her grandmother got sick.
She and Marten have exchanged emails.
She seems happy out there, end of story.

OldGoat

« Reply #175 on: 07 Sep 2018, 18:33 »

.  . .I guess the difference in how pensions (and medical care) are handled in the UK and the US also feeds into the decision about how important a savings account is.

How shall I put this without being overtly political?  When it comes to health care funding, the US may as well be a 3rd or 4th world country.  For even the most highly paid wage earner even a moderately serious non-work related injury or illness can easily become a financial catastrophe, rapidly draining years of savings and investment. 

wlewisiii

« Reply #176 on: 07 Sep 2018, 19:32 »

.  . .I guess the difference in how pensions (and medical care) are handled in the UK and the US also feeds into the decision about how important a savings account is.

How shall I put this without being overtly political?  When it comes to health care funding, the US may as well be a 3rd or 4th world country.  For even the most highly paid wage earner even a moderately serious non-work related injury or illness can easily become a financial catastrophe, rapidly draining years of savings and investment.

It's easier to plan on the ER and eventually filing bankruptcy. Illness will kill you one way or the other.
Emily is the Avatar.

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #177 on: 08 Sep 2018, 04:36 »

My saving's account started when I had been saving for two years to get and Xbox at 14 or something
(I had virtually no income and most upgrades consisted of getting money for my birthday from grandparents and washing cars and such).
So after two-three years, approaching my birthday I had finally gathered enough funds (well including the expected 10 euro's from grandma) to get myself an xbox! Which means as a present, I could ask my parents for a simple game for my birthday.
Well.. after which parents were so proud they just gave me the xbox. ANTICLIMAX much. (I was sorta pissed about this) :')
But that's where my saving's account started :') I suddenly had 250 euro's to put in there.

I have been a bit of a hoarder since.. but student me was very glad for high school me who just put 80% of my side job earnings into this account.
That shit gives you a buffer when something unexpected happens, which makes it so much easier to handle big setbacks.
I made the rule that this base level fund would be my "artificial zero", if I would go below this I would be "in the red numbers",
which I stuck to with some small health or similar related exceptions.  (saves you a lot of money on interest to the bank)

Just mentality also makes one hell of a difference i guess. Although I'm the first to admit I grew up relatively privileged anyway.
One of which is living in a country in which setbacks are never as bad as in the US, especially health related.
A massive extra medical bill is more like max +/- €350 for me.
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

wlewisiii

« Reply #178 on: 08 Sep 2018, 09:06 »

One of which is living in a country in which setbacks are never as bad as in the US, especially health related.
A massive extra medical bill is more like max +/- €350 for me.

Well, that's the benifit of living in a civilized nation. In the US we can't have nice things because we don't live in western civilization; just a pretense of it a millimeter thick.
Emily is the Avatar.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #179 on: 08 Sep 2018, 13:42 »

Global Moderator Comment No argument, but this is an issue that hurts so many people that I'm afraid it will take over the WCDT if we continue talking about it here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #180 on: 08 Sep 2018, 15:21 »

Here are some relevant threads to the last couple weeks that already exist lower down the forum. We're not as strict about posting in quiet or older threads here, since sometimes topics come in cycles. We're always up for new points of view or twists on discussed topics, but I recommend to give them a skim to see what has been brought up before and/or to get the idea of tone in the threads.

Discussion of why healthcare costs in the USA are high

What is the best country to live in?

Privilege and Self Examination

Momoka

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #181 on: 09 Sep 2018, 00:52 »

Let's try putting some numbers to this budget discussion for Martin.

Martin has an entry-level book-stacking job at a local college, so he's likely getting paid the Massachusetts minimum wage of $11/hr, which is $1,760 a month (assuming it's full time).

A 2-bedroom apartment in Northampton is around $1500/mo on Zillow (living in Boston, I find this number suspect, but I guess some places allow people to actually live), and he's got a roommate, so Martin's share is $750 or so, leaving him $1010 a month. Around $300 of this goes to groceries, leaving him with $710.  An average Bronze Obamacare plan is $560/mo, but Martin's low income means he gets his health care subsidized so his premium is no more than 9.5% of his income (thanks, Obama! Possibly! I might be wrong on this!), which we'll round up to $170. This leaves him with $540. $40 or so goes to his half of the internet fees, leaving about $100 each for water, electricity, gas, ironic T-shirts, and heat. One of his expenses is also a robot, which I don't know how to budget for.

So Martin is in a situation where his survival is actually feasible, which I didn't expect when starting to google it, but he has basically no money for anything that isn't a strict necessity, and will probably hit major financial problems soon even without a medical emergency, since rent is an endlessly growing monster about to consume him. His best short-term savings goal is probably to get Pintsize a humanlike chassis so that he can get a job and contribute to rent, though that plan has several problems only some of which are ethical.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #182 on: 09 Sep 2018, 00:57 »

We know he makes significantly more money than his position would normally dictate. He and Tai caught two board members having an affair in the library and they offered a salary bump in exchange for discretion. I don't remember the specific comic, it was several years ago.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #183 on: 09 Sep 2018, 01:02 »

I seem to remember a 30% raise?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #184 on: 09 Sep 2018, 02:06 »

He and Tai caught two board members having an affair in the library

Marten and Dora, that was (they were sneaking off to do the same thing themselves, mind!).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #185 on: 09 Sep 2018, 02:10 »

I thought maybe that was the case, after I posted. It's been a long time and I have never reread that particular period of the comic.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

specter177

« Reply #186 on: 09 Sep 2018, 04:24 »

<snip>
A 2-bedroom apartment in Northampton is around $1500/mo on Zillow (living in Boston, I find this number suspect, but I guess some places allow people to actually live), and he's got a roommate, so Martin's share is $750 or so, leaving him $1010 a month. Around $300 of this goes to groceries, leaving him with $710. <snip>

Less than that, remember Clair is paying her share now, and it's possible Bubbles might be paying an equal share too.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #187 on: 09 Sep 2018, 04:29 »

A 2-bedroom apartment in Northampton is around $1500/mo on Zillow (living in Boston, I find this number suspect, but I guess some places allow people to actually live)

Having lived in both the Boston suburbs (Arlington) and in Northampton, I can verify that housing costs in Northampton are significantly lower. And Northampton is expensive by western Massachusetts standards.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #188 on: 09 Sep 2018, 07:50 »

When I was looking for jobs earlier this year, one of the jobs I applied for was in the suburbs of Boston, and when I looked up the cost of rent there I was pretty horrified. I'd have been getting paid very well at that job if I had gotten it, but the rent would still be very substantial... Instead I ended up in the suburbs of Chicago.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Momoka

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #189 on: 09 Sep 2018, 10:05 »

In that case, Martin would be making $14.30/hr, or $2,288 a month, and his living situation goes from "dire" to "actually quite comfortable". Bubbles taking on a third of the rent helps a lot here as well. Martin has probably never asked Claire to pay any rent, both because he is Martin and because she's a full-time student.

It also means Martin should be more afraid of the board member not being around anymore than anything else, because then he's underqualified AND overpaid for his position.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #190 on: 09 Sep 2018, 10:17 »

(A gentle reminder that his name is Marten.)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #191 on: 09 Sep 2018, 11:46 »

$14.30/hr pre-tax. So, assuming 52 weeks, 40 hours a week (that would imply paid holidays, vacation, and sick time, which he isn't guaranteed to get by any means, as well as full employment, which he also isn't guaranteed to get), that's $29,744/yr.

So, his federal income taxes would be $3378.78/yr with the 2018 tax brackets, Social Security (6.2%) is $1844.13, Medicare (1.45%) is $431.29, Massachusetts (5.1% for personal income) is $1516.94, and it looks like Massachusetts doesn't have city or school income tax (looks like everything for local needs is done through property tax, and through local options on sales taxes).

That means, after taxes, he has $1881.07/mo to work with.

Milayna

« Reply #192 on: 09 Sep 2018, 13:17 »

$30k/yr is double what I make in one of the richest counties in the nation. My wage is going to $15 by 2020, but even so.

Rent hasn't been a factor for me up until now, but will be soon. I mostly don't spend money on anything, for...reasons, though last year I got fed up and quit my job and used the energy to get much-needed dental work done which crashed my savings.

If those numbers are right then Marten's living the life several steps up in my dreams =/

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #193 on: 09 Sep 2018, 14:21 »

So Martin is in a situation where his survival is actually feasible, which I didn't expect when starting to google it, but he has basically no money for anything that isn't a strict necessity, and will probably hit major financial problems soon even without a medical emergency, since rent is an endlessly growing monster about to consume him. His best short-term savings goal is probably to get Pintsize a humanlike chassis so that he can get a job and contribute to rent, though that plan has several problems only some of which are ethical.

Welcome, analytical new person!

I seem to remember Marten has student loans so there's another budget item.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

« Reply #194 on: 09 Sep 2018, 16:14 »

His best short-term savings goal is probably to get Pintsize a humanlike chassis so that he can get a job and contribute to rent, though that plan has several problems only some of which are ethical.
Pintsize is doing quite well with his various Internet porn ventures and no doubt other enterprises.  I suspect he's the wealthiest member of the regular cast* after Hanners, and he's probably creative enough that he's running some AI vices that human legislators haven't even gotten around to taxing yet.  If he wanted a more humanoid chassis, he could buy one outright.

*Station only shows up occasionally - same for John and Beatrice.  Station and Pintsize may be in cahoots on something Bubbles would find at least mildly disgusting.  Roko would too, but she knows better than to throw lock washers.
« Last Edit: 09 Sep 2018, 23:52 by OldGoat »

dutchrvl

« Reply #195 on: 10 Sep 2018, 04:55 »

When I was looking for jobs earlier this year, one of the jobs I applied for was in the suburbs of Boston, and when I looked up the cost of rent there I was pretty horrified. I'd have been getting paid very well at that job if I had gotten it, but the rent would still be very substantial... Instead I ended up in the suburbs of Chicago.  :psyduck:

Yeah...I had a similar reaction when I was moving for a job on the north shore of Boston....
Having lived for years in a decent 2-BR apartment in a very popular neighborhood of Chicago (lakeview/boystown, about 300 yards from lake Michigan) for about $1600/mth max, I was shocked to see that even far outside of Boston (Salem, Beverly, and further north) $1600/mth really doesn't get you much.

I realized later that Chicago is surprisingly affordable rentwise for the city it is.

dutchrvl

« Reply #196 on: 10 Sep 2018, 05:03 »

In that case, Martin would be making $14.30/hr, or $2,288 a month, and his living situation goes from "dire" to "actually quite comfortable". Bubbles taking on a third of the rent helps a lot here as well. Martin has probably never asked Claire to pay any rent, both because he is Martin and because she's a full-time student.

It also means Martin should be more afraid of the board member not being around anymore than anything else, because then he's underqualified AND overpaid for his position.

If Marten indeed makes $2288/mth or thereabouts, he should be able to live quite comfortably.
Personally, when I was a grad student with a stipend of $2100/mth (pre-taxes, mind you), I lived by myself with $900/mth rent while also budgetting $150/mth for paying off student debt, and I still lived comfortable enough that I could have 1 reasonable vacation each year. And no, this was on a diet of ramen or anything.
Marten likely pays substantially less rent than $900; now that they at least split rent in 3 (Claire insisted on paying) it's probably closer to $600. Shouldn't be a big problem living rather comfortably in Northampton assuming living costs are equal or more likely lower than in Chicago.

Even if Marten makes the $1760/mth he should be reasonably off at the moment. 

Jakk Frost

« Reply #197 on: 13 Sep 2018, 11:09 »

I suspect this is far more common than you might think.

Yup.  As the saying goes, I always have too much month at the end of the money.
Especially those who are on the lower end economically. For many people it is a literal impossibility to save money in any way. They are not only living paycheck to paycheck, but more like the paycheck runs out part way through. The idea of savings is a luxury that some people simply and literally cannot afford.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up