THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 22:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why does FxB make me so happy?  (Read 7227 times)

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
Why does FxB make me so happy?
« on: 21 Jul 2018, 12:37 »

Why does the Faye and Bubbles thing make me so happy?
Usually I'm a fairly indifferent guy, but this constellation just warms my heart.
Also, I'm somewhat inclined calling that ship Fubbles for good.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: Why does FxB make me so happy?
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2018, 13:22 »

Well, you're not alone.

For me it's knowing how far they have come and how good they are for each other.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

PhoneWytch

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #2 on: 21 Jul 2018, 14:19 »

I do love it. They just seem so in tune with each other... Willing to push themselves and each other along the way to make their relationship even better.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

fayelovesbubbles

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2018, 04:46 »

Because they both went through so much to be together.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2018, 06:00 »

For me it's the interplay Jeph shows us: The interpersonal fumbling and the snark but the caring clearly showing.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

cybersmurf

« Reply #5 on: 23 Jul 2018, 01:36 »

For me it's the interplay Jeph shows us: The interpersonal fumbling and the snark but the caring clearly showing.

Oh, the snark. I believe we haven't seen their A-game yet.

dutchrvl

« Reply #6 on: 23 Jul 2018, 05:48 »

For me it's mostly because of what Bubbles wen through combined with how extraordinarily likable she is, so anything that brings her happiness makes me happy.

Plus, I consider Faye quite likable too and definitely not quite as badly flawed some on this forum, so seeing her evolve is nice to see too.
That the relationship is non-traditional (i.e. not heteronormative) is something I couldn't care less about, by which I mean it's simply not a relevant issue to me.

cybersmurf

« Reply #7 on: 23 Jul 2018, 09:37 »

Still waiting for Jimbo writing that book with Dr Heteronormative as the villain though.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2018, 09:51 »

Because they both went through so much to be together.

This, plus the fact that they're well-aware they haven't reached a magical happy ending.  They both know they're in uncharted waters for them, and that this is gonna be hard work instead of some fairy tale happily ever after.  There's a lot that could go wrong, and if it goes wrong too badly, it could destroy more than just their relationship since they're business partners as well.  And yet, they recognize that they are good for each other, they bring out better sides of each other, and they choose to be together despite the risk and the fact that they're going to have to work to keep their reward.

HughYeman

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Chode-Bearing Member
    • Dear Faye
« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2018, 11:17 »

Short answer: Dude. Right there with ya. I wrote frickin' *fanfic*, for fuck's sake.

Long answer: See my post from June 20th in the "How will Bubbles propose?" thread.
"Is that why you checked for my armor?"
"I-I was scared you left. I knew you wouldn't go anywhere without it."
"I would never leave unless you asked me to."
"I would never ask you to."

cybersmurf

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2018, 16:15 »

I was thinking "That was fast, Bubbles ain't around that long". it's 788 strips, that's like three years and a week. early/mid July twentyfifteen. I know it hasn't been that long within the QC Universe, but I wouldn't have given that three years of our time.

I think the whole thing gets me because I'm a somewhat reserved person, an emotional "cave dweller" much like Bubbles was in the beginning. I guess that character development struck closer to home than I expected.

Inconsequential

« Reply #11 on: 24 Jul 2018, 15:06 »

Ya know, I could have sworn "Faybles" won out a while back, but use whatever floats yer boat.

I have to admit that this fictional relationship really took me for an unexpected feels trip. Lots of reasons, including:

- It's a truly unique take on AI/human relations, and the "realest" I've ever seen. I can't recall anything else quite like this in scifi. Not a hint of the usual tropes around AIs. For example, Pinnochio syndrome infects most scifi involving robots, but none of the AIs in the QC-verse want to be human - they like being robots. QC has also avoided the "monoculture" trope -- AIs don't all think the same or agree on much of anything. Lots of others, too.

- This relationship is sort of the culmination of a whoooooole bunch of very meticulous world building. I love world building. (Anyone wanna talk Tolkien sometime...?)

- Speaking of world building, there are just tons of fantastic, "real" details -- I love how Faye sees Bubbles as a woman first, not an AI. So her big internal hurdle was "bein' with a lady", and figuring out she's bisexual (at least where smoochin' Bubbles is concerned). The fact that Bubbles is an AI is completely beside the point. She's always been a person to Faye, and Faye was pretty much immediately attracted to Bubbles (just didn't quite figure it all out for a good long while...)

- I think a big factor for many of us is seeing Faye find some sort of happiness and healing, and making good decisions. She's a messy, complex character we've all known for a LONG time, and she's been through all kinds of hell. Same for Bubbles. Of course, Bubbles' past is much less well known; the trauma we know about was far different.

- Good gravy, they're both so ridiculously GOOD for each other. Faye stumbled aimlessly through some not-that-great relationships until a great one snuck up on her. A few of us have had that happen. Some have seen it happen. And it's amazing.

Enough gushing. I could go on. And on...

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #12 on: 24 Jul 2018, 21:28 »

I have to agree.  Now, to be clear, I really liked Angus, and thought he was good for Faye. 

Well, definitely better than Sven.  Anyone was, really.  That's not a high bar to clear. 

But she's been feeling her way along, bit by bit, and finding her way in the world, the way we all do.  I think it's the growth of the characters that has kept me - and probably everyone else - coming back for (good lord) over 10 years now. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jul 2018, 19:46 »

A big part is that Bubbles is such a well-executed and sympathetic character. Her arid wit, her delicate touch pursuing a relationship, and yes her twitchiness all remind me of people in my life I regard positively.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #14 on: 14 Aug 2018, 22:02 »

Their babies will be so cute!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #15 on: 19 Aug 2018, 19:20 »

I especially loved the deliciously drawn out how do they not know? Since I'm new, did anyone propose BuFaye?
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #16 on: 19 Aug 2018, 21:19 »

I believe you're the first!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #17 on: 20 Aug 2018, 17:22 »

It must be my love of Buffy the Vampire Slayer bleeding through. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2018, 22:55 »

I'll have the buffet...

:-D

dutchrvl

« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2018, 06:29 »

I especially loved the deliciously drawn out how do they not know? Since I'm new, did anyone propose BuFaye?

Bufaye....man that's pretty darn good :)

Actually amazing how many kind of work....Faybles, BuFaye, Fubbles, Baye, Bublaye (As in Michael ;))

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #20 on: 22 Aug 2018, 06:39 »

Though I'm not a fan of the "suddenly gay" trope, Fay and Bubbles are such a joy as a couple and I'm happy for them both (and anyone whose finds inspiration/comfort in their relationship for personal reasons).  I hope we get to enjoy them and their antics for a long time to come!
Shel kek nem ron.

Drunken Old Man

« Reply #21 on: 22 Aug 2018, 10:29 »

I don't even feel like it's a case of "suddenly gay" here.  I think it's more that her connection to Bubbles transcends sexual orientation.  If this relationship were to end, I don't think Faye would seriously consider entering one with another woman.

Or to put it another way, Faye is straight...except when it comes to Bubs.

On a different note, God I used to HATE Bubbles.  I created this account just so I could bitch about how badly I hated Bubbles.  Hell I wasn't a huge fan of Faye either. I don't know if their relationship has been good for their characters or good for mine but it certainly improved somebody.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #22 on: 22 Aug 2018, 12:05 »

That would make sense to me and fit all the facts. It's the mirror image of describing Bubbles as "Fayesexual".

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #23 on: 22 Aug 2018, 20:42 »

I don't even feel like it's a case of "suddenly gay" here.  I think it's more that her connection to Bubbles transcends sexual orientation.  If this relationship were to end, I don't think Faye would seriously consider entering one with another woman.

Hmm interesting, hadn’t considered that. Definitely possible. Also the whole robot aspect does make gender a little more nebulous.

To be clear, in case it came off otherwise, I have zero issue with any of the characters being any kind of orientation.  My trope objection is completely related to internal story consistency not any particular gender/orientation desire.   
Shel kek nem ron.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #24 on: 22 Aug 2018, 23:36 »

I think Faye may be most attracted to inner strength.  Bubbles' is fairly obvious, overcoming (with Faye's help) her situation with corpse witch.  Not to mention the facing of the traumatic memories that turned out to be wiped. 

In Angus' case, it was his bloody persistence, and the inability to take her repeated "no" as a final answer.  Said that way, it sounds a bit creepy, but you know what I mean.  He showed her a strength of character by gently pursuing her despite the armor she had thrown up against him. 

And Sven?  Well, the ability to be a lothario takes a certain strength of personality.  Eh, maybe that one's a bit of a stretch.  Not sure how attracted she was to him anyway, or if she was just using him while he used her. 

OK, I'll stop rambling now.  Thanks for your patience! 

cybersmurf

« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2018, 00:51 »

You know, people like Sven display some kind of confidence that make them attractive. Also, it was the general IDGAF situation. Oh, well, the irony of that sentence though.

After the Sven disaster Angus was the one that cared, and wanted to fight for it. To quote Dora: It feel good to be pursued. (or something like that).

And Bubbles? That's a LOT of emotional investment on Faye's side, and it led to special connection between the two. And it worked out in the end. Also, from my experience, there's not only homo and hetero, and one point in between, but like 50 shades of gray (.... sorry for that one). And apparently it takes a special person to get Faye out of the hetero corner. Not impossible, but quite improbable, as we see.

AlliedToasters

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #26 on: 24 Aug 2018, 06:50 »

The relationship was especially pogniant for me - it brought me out of years of lurkerhood on this forum, for example. I don’t really know why. It has something to do with how they are able to relate with each other without speaking so explicitly about it. The way they are both sort of armored characters who tend to recoil or lash out instead of exposing their sensitive nature. The fact that Faye has finally found somebody stable who will stick around. It’s just a solid, adult relationship in a comic where we’re used to more immature drama and shenanigans. It’s a nice change of pace and a symbol for state of AI in human society, a theme that has slowly matured in the background for the entirety of the comic. It’s just quite nice. And somehow relatable, although I share very little in common with either character.
crummy and proud

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #27 on: 24 Aug 2018, 21:22 »

I don’t really know why.

although I share very little in common with either character.

Despite your avatar, I'm guessing you're human. 

And that's plenty in common with both of them. 

cybersmurf

« Reply #28 on: 25 Aug 2018, 11:25 »

Oh, the humanity!

cybersmurf

« Reply #29 on: 11 Sep 2018, 14:39 »

I wonder whether JJ remembered this strip https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2262 when Bubble and Faye became a thing in his head.
Pages: [1]   Go Up