THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's coming this week? Select the first option, then one of the others.

More Melon wackiness. I know, just click it. You know it's coming.
- 18 (24.3%)
More Faye and Bubbles apotheosis. It's what the fans want.
- 15 (20.3%)
More relationship drama. It's what the fans deserve.
- 5 (6.8%)
More health code drama. It's what the fans need right now. Compelling, TBH.
- 2 (2.7%)
More academic drama. Bringing some real stress to the table.
- 15 (20.3%)
More progression of Marten's life goals. He's the one dating Claire. FYI.
- 13 (17.6%)
Something else. Add your rant to the thread.
- 6 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3796 - 3800 (30th July to 3rd August 2018)  (Read 25451 times)

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WCDT Strips 3796 - 3800 (30th July to 3rd August 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 31 Jul 2018, 05:18 »

@cybersmurf,

The only time we've seen Faye with long hair was in a time-skip sequence where we see how Faye's aesthetic changed as she was working for Corpse Witch. I kind of fell in love with one of the panels where she has her long hair in pigtails. What can I say, the idea of Faye choosing a cute aesthetic was strange enough that it's stuck in my mind ever since!

I went through the archive. Number 3136.personally, I wouldn't call that long hair, but it definetly isn't short either. And I don't think I had seen the pigtails until now.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #51 on: 31 Jul 2018, 06:15 »

Just looking in panel 3, I suddenly realise that Bubbles has changed so much from her introduction as to be nearly a completely different character.

But in an entirely good way, by which I mean not just that she's better off and happier now, but that her 'character' when first introduced wasn't real, because she was so under the thumb of Corpse Witch, she couldn't be herself.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #52 on: 31 Jul 2018, 07:52 »

Just looking in panel 3, I suddenly realise that Bubbles has changed so much from her introduction as to be nearly a completely different character.

But in an entirely good way, by which I mean not just that she's better off and happier now, but that her 'character' when first introduced wasn't real, because she was so under the thumb of Corpse Witch, she couldn't be herself.

Can't blame Corpse Witch for everything.  Bubbles had a lot of problems after leaving the military which Corpse Witch exploited, but Bubbles wanted to be alone and all she did was encourage that. 

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #53 on: 31 Jul 2018, 08:19 »

That's happened with a few characters - like Hannelore, and to a lesser degree, Brun. I think it's just an effect of Jeph still getting a sense of who the character is as he works them into the story.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #54 on: 31 Jul 2018, 11:32 »

I should have seen this coming, honestly. It's not unheard of for people to change their hairstyle after a major change in their life, and Jeph is known to be rather fond of changing his characters' hairstyles, to say the least.
And by change, it is as far as I can recall, someone correct me please, he has chopped those long locks pretty much consistently.
I am surprised he hasn't gone full brush-cut yet.

Yes I have long hair. [ponytail at work - it tucks under a bouffant easier that way]
Yes I was made to cut it to collar length for a certain Org back in college.
Yes I let it grow out again.
Yes I have people bug me to cut it using all sorts of inane reasoning.
No it is not waist length anymore.
Yes I like long hair in others if kept well groomed.
 :clairedoge:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #55 on: 31 Jul 2018, 12:15 »

That's happened with a few characters - like Hannelore, and to a lesser degree, Brun. I think it's just an effect of Jeph still getting a sense of who the character is as he works them into the story.

Also that change and growth and recovery are themes of the comic in general.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #56 on: 31 Jul 2018, 16:25 »

Jeph REALLY has a thing about short hair.

specter177

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #57 on: 31 Jul 2018, 17:02 »

I JUST noticed the heart eyes on Faye in panel 2.

Undrneath

« Reply #58 on: 31 Jul 2018, 19:07 »

That is some serious mojo to give someone permanent sex hair.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #59 on: 31 Jul 2018, 19:17 »

Comic's up!

What's a "bisexual" haircut? Bub's new haircut looks like nothing out of the ordinary to me.

This is a joke that's been around a while.  Apparently, someone pointed out once that the hair Marceline from Adventure Time has in a flashback to when she was still friends with Princess Bubblegum (one of the writers said once that they would have been dating in those days if not for the international market, but claims it was a joke) looked a lot like the hair Korra has in the fourth season of, er, Legend of Korra, in which she enters into a romantic relationship with a female ally (they don't kiss, or use words like "dating" or "girlfriend," because 2014 was a different time, but the writers are weirdly defensive about it, saying that if you didn't recognize it as romantic you're "steeped in heteronormativity"), and, well, memers gonna meme.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #60 on: 31 Jul 2018, 19:51 »

Jeph REALLY has a thing about short hair.

Either that or he really has a thing about long hair, but it's so much work to draw that he finally decides, "Screw this, I'm chopping it."

Although to be fair, he does kind of have a character-driven reason for doing it this time.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #61 on: 31 Jul 2018, 20:47 »

Poor Faye, however will she cope with having a permanent reminder of a wonderful evening/night/most of the next morning?

Bubbles’s face in panel four though… :D
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #62 on: 31 Jul 2018, 23:13 »

I find it interesting to read a discussion on the reasons to not get a tattoo because I don't have reasons. I just ... don't want one. I've never felt the slightest interest. I guess I can see the appeal, though. It's just not for me.

If I had to give a reason, I'd say that it's because they look kind of tatty (pun unintended) when they get old, as great as they can look when they are brand new. But that's more rationalisation than reason.
I don't oppose people wearing ink, but there are 'way more people wearing ink than people who wear ink well.  I don't think I'd be part of the latter group.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #63 on: 31 Jul 2018, 23:27 »

So, basically, Bubbles has a superpower and can permanently change her lovers' hairstyle? Is that what Jeph is saying here? :-P

This aside, I notice that, yes, they've started to receive Punchbot's replacement parts. That's the shoulder joint that Bubbles is playing with there! I wonder what kind of over-optimised monstrosity that Bubbles is planning for him, given that she seems to be determined to build him a 'permanent cure' for his 'punch stuff and break himself' issue?
« Last Edit: 31 Jul 2018, 23:32 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #64 on: 31 Jul 2018, 23:47 »

Regarding poll: I am the obe for less drama and more antics and interesting thoughts.

I love todays! (Hey, Bubs? Do we have a laser? Several!)

While the comic works great as a gag, one might question how Faye could possibly not be aware that they have several lasers.....I mean, she and Bubbles are the owners after all, so one would assume they both are well aware of the equipment they possess....

I noticed many people do not realise they have laser equipment in their house.  People think of laser beams as high power tools for cutting and welding. Always fun to remind them: do you have a cd player? Optical cable perhaps? A laser-pointer?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #65 on: 31 Jul 2018, 23:57 »

As one of the follicularly challenged, I regret that I will never have sex hair again, permanent or otherwise. 

There's somerhing to be said for being able to brush what's left with a paper towel, though.
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #66 on: 31 Jul 2018, 23:58 »

Regarding poll: I am the obe for less drama and more antics and interesting thoughts.

While the comic works great as a gag, one might question how Faye could possibly not be aware that they have several lasers.....I mean, she and Bubbles are the owners after all, so one would assume they both are well aware of the equipment they possess....

I noticed many people do not realise they have laser equipment in their house.  People think of laser beams as high power tools for cutting and welding. Always fun to remind them: do you have a cd player? Optical cable perhaps? A laser-pointer?

Oh, sure. I can just about imagine Bubbles answering Faye's question by mentioning the old Sony Discman lying around in the storeroom.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cybersmurf

« Reply #67 on: 01 Aug 2018, 05:45 »

Bubbles new hair style looks like the one she had in the beginning, but still totally different. In a way less structured, less... neat, more chaotic. to me, that somewhat means she's still the same person, but she approaches life differently now, less controlled in specific.

Also, I love the fact that Bubs keeps making Faye blush HARD quite often. Faye, of all people. Faye the indifferent. "I'm nothing but snark" faye. Faye the sasspool of doom. Fleshy Punchbot.

dutchrvl

« Reply #68 on: 01 Aug 2018, 05:58 »

Right, of course, but in this case it was specifically about having a laser capable of imprinting a design into metal. Having that kind of laser is something Faye should really be aware of ;)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #69 on: 01 Aug 2018, 06:00 »

Yeah, I mean something that can etch metal would probably be a CO2 laser, wouldn't it? Those are pretty powerful!
~~~~

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #70 on: 01 Aug 2018, 06:23 »

When I was in grad school we had a CO2 laser. There was a story passed down from the earlier grad students about the time my advisor got his arm in the beam. Instead of pulling his arm up, so the beam would run perpendicular to his arm, he pulled it back, so the beam went down his arm and across his hand...

Then there was the time when we were trying to get an optical dipole trap using this laser and some in-vacuum zinc selenide lenses. The conversation that day went as follows:
Me: "Um, is that lens supposed to be glowing?"
Other grad student: "It's probably just burning some crap off of it. Turn the laser up."
The 'crap' turned out to be the anti-reflection coating...  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #71 on: 01 Aug 2018, 07:12 »

Do you have pictures?
All I found were these.
(click to show/hide)
Unfortunately no videos of this happening.

My own personal experience is limited to various electrical components dissembling themselves, releasing their vital smoke or trying to make like a light bulb.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Meander

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #72 on: 01 Aug 2018, 08:00 »

Also, I love the fact that Bubs keeps making Faye blush HARD quite often. Faye, of all people. Faye the indifferent. "I'm nothing but snark" faye. Faye the sasspool of doom. Fleshy Punchbot.

I know, right? And the way Bubbles swishes off so serenely in panel 4 shows that she loves doing it, too.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #73 on: 01 Aug 2018, 08:02 »

Do you have pictures?
All I found were these.
(click to show/hide)
Unfortunately no videos of this happening.

My own personal experience is limited to various electrical components dissembling themselves, releasing their vital smoke or trying to make like a light bulb.

I know pictures exist of it, but unfortunately I don't know where they are. (This was before I got a 'smart' phone, so those pictures never made it into my current phone.)

cybersmurf

« Reply #74 on: 01 Aug 2018, 08:20 »

I know, right? And the way Bubbles swishes off so serenely in panel 4 shows that she loves doing it, too.

That made the whole strip for me. <edit> it's like Bubbles is all "don't believe I'm not aware of that fact. </edit>

It's like all the sass Faye dished out comes back through Bubs.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #75 on: 01 Aug 2018, 16:42 »

Faye's cute when she blushes

ImVeryAngryItsNotButter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 01 Aug 2018, 20:52 »

Bubbles, no! Don't give Sam any ideas!

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #77 on: 01 Aug 2018, 21:35 »

Anyone done the Linda McCartney joke yet? ;)
What the hell are YOU staring at?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #78 on: 01 Aug 2018, 23:22 »

There is a whole story being told in Bubbles's facial expression in panel 2 of today's strip.

When Bubbles first met Sam, I get the impression that she didn't get on terribly well with her; maybe it wasn't being used to kids, or at least ones as hyperactive and daring as Sam is. However, her happy little smile and relaxed expression really suggest to me that she's now finding Sam and her interactions with Faye, very cute.

I also wonder if Bubbles is thinking: "She'll make a wonderful mother one day!"

Oh, and Sam? How you do a cool pegasus is like this:

Rainbow Dash - Patron Saint of thrill-racers everywhere!
« Last Edit: 02 Aug 2018, 07:32 by BenRG »
~~~~

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #79 on: 01 Aug 2018, 23:49 »

Just wing it, Sam

:clairedoge:

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 02 Aug 2018, 00:07 »

I think this is the beginning of some beautiful penmanship.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #81 on: 02 Aug 2018, 03:19 »

Why do I get the feeling that Sam is going to be the one whose business takes off, leaving Faye and Bubbles in a distant second.

That or Sam is going to overstep the line and treat Faye and Bubbles as her assistants/employees,

cybersmurf

« Reply #82 on: 02 Aug 2018, 04:45 »

That or Sam is going to overstep the line and treat Faye and Bubbles as her assistants/employees,

Not going to happen. Neither Faye nor Bubbles will take being treated like that. Sam may be impulsive, but she's not stupid, even when overexcited.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #83 on: 02 Aug 2018, 04:49 »

If she does, she'll only do it once.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #84 on: 02 Aug 2018, 05:43 »

Yes, Swordsmary is such a bizarre name, unlike, for example, Punchbot or Corpse Witch.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #85 on: 02 Aug 2018, 07:10 »

Oh, and Sam? How you do a cool pegasus is like this:

Rainbow Dash - Patrol Saint of thrill-racers everywhere!

"Right now, she's Rainbow Glasses!"
"You KNOW!"

stePH
--

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #86 on: 02 Aug 2018, 08:32 »

"You don't have to believe in quntum theory - quantum theory believes in you"
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #87 on: 02 Aug 2018, 08:46 »

Incidentally, yesterday I was wearing a T-shirt that reads "Eat, Sleep, Fire Laser, Repeat" along with the name of a laser company when I went to a pizza place. The guy at the counter asked which laser tag place the T-shirt came from.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #88 on: 02 Aug 2018, 10:37 »

Fay should know they have a laser, according to this 
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3484
But I guess it's fair to say she was a bit distracted.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #89 on: 02 Aug 2018, 11:20 »

Not going to happen. Neither Faye nor Bubbles will take being treated like that. Sam may be impulsive, but she's not stupid, even when overexcited.

But that's kind of the point, she is impulsive. Too impulsive in fact.

Sam might forget that its not her business and that she's a guest of Faye and Bubbles, to the point where she might act like its her own private area and not, as it is, a workshop where two people are trying to run a business.

That or Sam will end up taking away customers from Faye and Bubbles or something to that effect.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #90 on: 02 Aug 2018, 13:58 »

But that's kind of the point, she is impulsive. Too impulsive in fact.

Sam might forget that its not her business and that she's a guest of Faye and Bubbles, to the point where she might act like its her own private area and not, as it is, a workshop where two people are trying to run a business.

That or Sam will end up taking away customers from Faye and Bubbles or something to that effect.

If that should happen they can call Sam out on it and it’ll either be a learning experience or an ego trip.  Better to happen among people she knows.

OldGoat

« Reply #91 on: 02 Aug 2018, 15:46 »

I have faith in Bubbles' leadership and personnel management abilities.

Sam will cross a line exactly once.  Bubbles will assume her infantry NCO aspect and speak to her.  Sam will stammer out, "M-M-Ma'am, YES MA'AM!"  Unseen by Sam, Bubbles will subtly wink at Fayr.  Nothing further will need to be said and it will never happen again.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #92 on: 02 Aug 2018, 18:10 »

Sam won't take their customers. They aren't in competition - she does sprays, they do repairs and upgrades.
stePH
--

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #93 on: 02 Aug 2018, 19:21 »

"It's just a dog with wings."

Like the weird dogs Ardent saw when he first came to Earth?

ImVeryAngryItsNotButter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #94 on: 02 Aug 2018, 20:32 »

And one more gratuitous wardrobe change for Bubbles. Not that I'm complaining, mind.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #95 on: 02 Aug 2018, 21:05 »

...or is it the Swiss power knife of army tools? 

At least, in Bubbles' hands...

I've used one of those before.  The shirt I was wearing didn't survive. 

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #96 on: 02 Aug 2018, 21:36 »

Concrete saw: just a slightly larger (gasoline powered) grinder.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #97 on: 02 Aug 2018, 23:20 »

Bubbles doesn't fool me; her posture in panel 3 is too practised and calculated. Either she's testing to see how Faye reacts to her doing heavy work whilst lightly clad or she's practising for her audition for the lead role in the rumoured The Evil Dead reboot movie. I'd heard that the producers had decided that chainsaws were too old school and were looking for a new gimmick! :laugh:

Oh, and Bubbles has no navel confirmed. There's just a join between her abdominals.

Seriously, I suspect that Bubbles keeps the concrete saw around as a time waster detector. If there appears to be no physical cause for her subject's complaint, she says 'I need to go in' and pulls out the saw. If the subject is then miraculously cured, she knows that there is no physical cause to find! It's an old sugeon's trick going back centuries!
~~~~

anahata

• Never knowingly understood
« Reply #98 on: 02 Aug 2018, 23:28 »

I find it slightly worrying that the grinder concrete saw appears (and Sam's excitement about same) in the same strip where Faye's just promised Sam will be returned with all her fingers still attached.

Deliberate wind-up on Jeph's part, of course. 'specially on a Friday...
« Last Edit: 03 Aug 2018, 04:59 by anahata »
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

OldGoat

« Reply #99 on: 02 Aug 2018, 23:29 »

Looks like Stihl's Cutquick line.  Often found on fire trucks and rescue rigs.  I've known more than a couple chainsaw artists who can turn a stump in the yard into a large critter- bears are a local favorite - but I don't know of anyone using a disk blade to sculpt stuff. 

But, this is Bubbles.  I reckon she can get at least as much detail with that as I can with a Dremel.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up