THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Repairs! Tattoos! What else should Union Robotics branch out into providing?

Espresso machines!
- 3 (7.5%)
Complicated Love Triangles!
- 2 (5%)
Steam reduction valves!
- 2 (5%)
Flame decal application!
- 9 (22.5%)
Fighter Jet Conversion!
- 9 (22.5%)
Dermal covers - for HUMANS!
- 3 (7.5%)
Waffles and Spathe Ham!
- 8 (20%)
Other Wonders Not Mentioned Here!
- 4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3801-3805 (6-10 August 2018)  (Read 29184 times)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: WCDT Strips 3801-3805 (6-10 August 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 07 Aug 2018, 05:54 »

I mean the chances are pretty high that at some point working with tools you're gonna get bit. All the caution and protective measures are there to a) minimize the chances and b) reduce the severity of injury. That said, deliberately touching the danger bits of an operating tool is just dumb... and entirely on-brand for Sam. The sad truth is there are plenty of people out there you just can't warn enough. Until they do a stupid thing and get hurt, the warnings just won't seem real. And unfortunately Sam's curiosity has a tendency to outpace her self preservation instincts. At least now she knows 'don't touch running tools'. Hopefully.

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #51 on: 07 Aug 2018, 06:21 »

I was about to reply that we're all overreacting and that a band-aid and some discretion from Sam will probably prevent this from becoming much of an issue.  Jim's used to her getting covered in snake bites and such, is this that much worse?

Then I remember who Sam is.  She's going to basically stick this under Jim's nose and be all "Look at how gross it is!"

*sigh*
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #52 on: 07 Aug 2018, 06:24 »

Poor Sam. Ripping off a fingernail doesn't even leave any nifty scars to show off.
If Jim forbids Sam from working at Union Robotics because of this, he'll be making a mistake. Forbidding your kid to practice a marketable skill she's passionate about because of a superficial injury is cowardly. If my parents had done so the first time I needed stitches, I wouldn't be studying mechanical engineering right now.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

TheEvilDog

« Reply #53 on: 07 Aug 2018, 06:39 »

Poor Sam. Ripping off a fingernail doesn't even leave any nifty scars to show off.
If Jim forbids Sam from working at Union Robotics because of this, he'll be making a mistake. Forbidding your kid to practice a marketable skill she's passionate about because of a superficial injury is cowardly. If my parents had done so the first time I needed stitches, I wouldn't be studying mechanical engineering right now.

It won't be a case of Jim forbidding Sam to going to Union Robotics, it'll be the "what the hell" he levels at Faye. It might be a ripped off fingernail, but its also an injury that occured in the workplace. We don't know what the insurance policy is for UR, so that's a whole mess of potential trouble right there.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #54 on: 07 Aug 2018, 06:54 »

The worst part of all this is Corpse Witch was right.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #55 on: 07 Aug 2018, 07:06 »

When they were handing out common sense, Sam was out chasing a snake or something.

Honestly, I'm more surprised that Sam still has all her fingers.

Your magic 8 ball was spot on.... :D

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #56 on: 07 Aug 2018, 08:10 »

Why would you leave Sam alone with power tools, Faye? You can hold it.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #57 on: 07 Aug 2018, 08:21 »

Looking at what happened and thinking back to my cousins training as a master machinist I think I know where it all went wrong.
No power tools until you know what you are doing.
Just give her a set of metal files and make her wear gloves to start.
If there is any balking then show them the uber gross "accidents in the machine shop first aid video".

NOTE: My cousins school only allowed files, a hammer and a hacksaw for metal work for the first three years of apprenticeship training before anyone was allowed near any equipment.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #58 on: 07 Aug 2018, 08:22 »

I do get the impression that although it would be excruciatingly nerve-wracking, the way Sam needs to be raised is the calculated risk approach.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #59 on: 07 Aug 2018, 08:23 »

Faye is sharing her vices with a minor.
She really should be sharing her vises.
Yes, I was a little surprised to see "vice". That is how I spell the word of course, but I thought the USAnian spelling was "vise".

I'm sure the vanishing cable is just a slip on the artist's part.

Was there any other way to make the pun in print?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #60 on: 07 Aug 2018, 08:59 »

I do get the impression that although it would be excruciatingly nerve-wracking, the way Sam needs to be raised is the calculated risk approach.

Calculated risk and damage control.

[/quote
Help me out a little... I can't remember context
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #61 on: 07 Aug 2018, 10:36 »

This... is pretty much game over, no?

Sam is underage, unsupervised, untrained, was given the tool by Faye with insufficient instruction and the consequence is a major trauma, possibly life-changing injury if the wound becomes infected.

The shop needs to be closed down, and Faye needs to face criminal proceedings and fines at the very least. Jim'll almost certainly bring a civil action case against her too.

And to cap it all off, she's dragged Bubbles into this because she's joint partner and shares liability.

God dammit! I mean it's realistic but I was hoping for more romantic shenanigans not another chapter of "Watch Faye's life disintegrate".

Bollthorn

« Reply #62 on: 07 Aug 2018, 10:43 »

Fuck sake Faye! She shouldn't be letting an underage child loose in a workshop to begin with! And everything was going so well! Now she's gonna be up shit creek without a paddle.
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #63 on: 07 Aug 2018, 11:23 »

I’ve been reading QC long enough to think it unlikely that Jeph would write an arc where armies of lawyers converge on Union Robotics to shut it down.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #64 on: 07 Aug 2018, 11:29 »

No, but I could see Jeph writing an arc where Jim's "What were you thinking" speech leaves Faye somewhat shaken. And let's be honest, in the past when Faye was shaken, she used to reach for something. And I'm not talking about Bubbles.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #65 on: 07 Aug 2018, 11:36 »

Calculated risk and damage control.

Help me out a little... I can't remember context

Faye asked Corpse Witch if she’d be fired for inviting Sam to her workplace and she replied “out of a canon.”

She’d definitely be gloating over this.
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2018, 16:48 by brasca »

nicodb

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #66 on: 07 Aug 2018, 13:04 »

I remember one time I tried stopping a running belt sander with my bare hand. And the result was ugly.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #67 on: 07 Aug 2018, 14:48 »

Yep, at the very least, Faye's going to be in for a dressing down from Jim for endangering his daughter, since he WILL freak out upon seeing the bloody and messy aftermath of today's hijinks. Snakebites are one thing, but that could have been Sam's entire finger gone. It may still be, if the wound gets infected.

Worse case scenario of course is Sam being banned from the shop, Union Robotics getting sued right out of business, and Faye possibly bought up on negligence charges. Let's hope Jeph doesn't go that far, but realistically there should be some blowback on Faye for this; she's the silly adult who left an even sillier child not her own alone with a running power tool. People and organizations have been sued into destitution over much less.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #68 on: 07 Aug 2018, 14:51 »

I did once grab the handle of a skillet that had been removed from the oven, forgetting I'd taken off my oven mitt in the meantime.

Yeah, I wish I could use the excuse that I was Sam's age when I did it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #69 on: 07 Aug 2018, 16:43 »

This... is pretty much game over, no?

Sam is underage, unsupervised, untrained, was given the tool by Faye with insufficient instruction and the consequence is a major trauma, possibly life-changing injury if the wound becomes infected.

The shop needs to be closed down, and Faye needs to face criminal proceedings and fines at the very least. Jim'll almost certainly bring a civil action case against her too.

And to cap it all off, she's dragged Bubbles into this because she's joint partner and shares liability.

God dammit! I mean it's realistic but I was hoping for more romantic shenanigans not another chapter of "Watch Faye's life disintegrate".

Aside from Jim being disappointed and maybe Veronica using some of her dominatrix skills I doubt this is going to go all the way to city hall and even if it did Bubbles and Faye's legal troubles would go away because either Spookybot would pay the hapless bureaucrat a visit, or Hannelore would call her Dad and deploy his legal team, or a completely new character would rescue them.  I call him HAL Goodman and he's an AI attorney. 

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #70 on: 07 Aug 2018, 16:47 »

Pretty much. I mean, Sam's not dumb but overconfident and she hasn't felt the consequences of her actions yet. So, maybe that's a start? And Faye should stop indulging her - Sam's not an apprentice, she's not insured and Faye can be held responsible for stuff that goes on in her shop. Sam's still a child in many ways and should be treated as such.
[/quote]

This. Sam gets indulged way too much by Faye. Sams maturity is that of a childs (Fayes isn't that much better) and Faye decides to leave her in charge of a power tool?

Sam needs some discipline and Faye needs to take her head out of her butt because the blowback on this could spell the end of the business and massive debts incurred for both herself and for Bubbles (probably won't of course) but this was, sadly, inevitable given the personalities of all involved

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 07 Aug 2018, 16:59 »

Faye is much more attracted to the idea of regressing to her childhood in a way when with Sam than she is in taking on a supervisory adult role.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #72 on: 07 Aug 2018, 17:48 »

I  think we're being kinda rough on Faye here. After all, the little larva was able to learn to use a blowtorch  and sharpen knives and make a sword without maiming herself. It seems reasonable she'd be able to use a dremel.

What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #73 on: 07 Aug 2018, 17:48 »

Hmm... yesterday I was tempted to joke that only wusses clamp their work instead of freehanding it, and today I was gonna joke "suck it up kid, it's just a fingernail".

Maybe I shouldn't be allowed to use power tools, or have children.

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #74 on: 07 Aug 2018, 17:54 »

I  think we're being kinda rough on Faye here. After all, the little larva was able to learn to use a blowtorch  and sharpen knives and make a sword without maiming herself. It seems reasonable she'd be able to use a dremel.

That maybe but Faye is, whether she likes it or not, In Loco Parentis of Sam so its on her to make sure Sam doesn't hurt herself

However those links did show that Faye has been indulging Sam for quite a while now

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #75 on: 07 Aug 2018, 17:58 »

A lawsuit would be irrational unless the parts inventory is valuable. Otherwise Faye and Bubbles are judgement-proof.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

themacnut

• Vagina Manifesto
    • The Vanguard-Superhero Space Opera Action
« Reply #76 on: 07 Aug 2018, 18:05 »

Unfortunately, this time she did maim herself, she lost a fingernail - the whole nail. Not as serious as losing a finger, but still bloody and painful. Her dad started to berate Faye just about the blowtorch and using knives before being distracted by some liquor, but this time is worse, this time she got hurt, and I don't think giving him an "old-fashioned" will help this time.

Now personally if I were Jim, I'd look at Sam with her aching bandaged finger and ask "And what did we learn today?" If her answer was something along the lines of "Don't stick your finger in a power tool's moving parts." then I'd let her go back to the shop. Otherwise, I'd forbid it on the grounds of her being too likely to Darwin herself into an early grave.

The Vanguard - superhero space opera

TheEvilDog

« Reply #77 on: 07 Aug 2018, 18:16 »

That maybe but Faye is, whether she likes it or not, In Loco Parentis of Sam so its on her to make sure Sam doesn't hurt herself

However those links did show that Faye has been indulging Sam for quite a while now

I have to agree with Chris here. Faye has been a friend to Sam, and there is nothing wrong with that. But in a professional setting, where there are tools and devices that could seriously injure, maim or even kill, Faye needs to stop being a friend and start being a responsible adult.

I've said before that Sam is a smart kid, but she hasn't got one iota of common sense. In fact, she's a bit of a dumbass. Faye should have known that, in fact when Sam first went into the workshop, she hadn't been in there for thirty seconds before getting herself caught in a (thankfully inactive) saw/drill unit. That should have sent warning alarms off in Faye's head. Hell, yesterday's comic should have had Faye age about ten years when Sam was going to try and dremel a piece without putting it into a vise first.

The fact remains that Faye ended up giving Sam barely even the bare minimum of protection. At the very least, Sam should have been wearing work gloves.

In the end, Faye should have been the responsible adult and didn't quite make it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #78 on: 07 Aug 2018, 18:37 »

Sam has two parents again, and one of them is psychologically savvy. I wonder what her take would be.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #79 on: 07 Aug 2018, 18:52 »

Comic's up.

And it was definitely most of the nail taken.

I'd say Sam should bite the bullet and tell her father the truth, but with that kid, she'd probably lose a couple of teeth.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #80 on: 07 Aug 2018, 19:17 »

Bubbles is so good with Sam. Now I'm imagining how good she'll be when her and Faye have kids one day. <3
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

fayelovesbubbles

« Reply #81 on: 07 Aug 2018, 19:23 »

Jim will be mad, for sure, but I like to think he won't yell at Faye.

I think this is Faye's wake up call to stop acting like Sam's big sister and start acting a little more like the adult in charge of her safety while she's in the shop.
...and Bubbles loves Faye.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 07 Aug 2018, 19:32 »

I do agree with the gist of what you are saying. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, and it's telling that this clamour of disapproval of Faye's actions has come after an accident and not in response to any of Faye's previous behaviour.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #83 on: 07 Aug 2018, 20:10 »

Bubbles is showing Leadership Qualities again. I wonder what her rank was.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #84 on: 07 Aug 2018, 20:12 »

Faye probably SHOULD get into some shit for this, but there is the basic issue of 'Dad keeps letting kid hang around forge, swords and machine shop.' There IS some shared blame to go around....

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #85 on: 07 Aug 2018, 20:59 »

At this point I want Faye (and Sam) to face some consequences. Not losing the shop of course, but definitely more than just a weak slap on the fingers. Perhaps a serious talk from her business partner, who expresses her disappointment about how Faye acted today and the danger she put a minor and their fledging business in, would suffice…

Of course this could cause a small rift between them, as has been foreshadowed by Doras flashback…

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #86 on: 07 Aug 2018, 21:12 »

The only way I see Faye avoiding any wrath? SHE bans Sam from the shop, and maybe adds some time to the end for even thinking of hiding this from her father. Sam's dad trusted Faye with his kid, and yeah, Faye maybe shouldn't have walked away... but as others have mentioned, She supervised with the blowtorch, she supervised with the knifecraft, and made a calculated decision to Allow Sam to keep working while she took care of a biological function. It was NOT unreasonable to assume that Sam would know better than apply a rotary tool that can shave metal to her soft, organic hide in any form. The only missteps here was not asking Bubbles to watch, and waiting for Bubbles to turn around or enter the room. 

..assume..
In before someone mentions "When you assume you make an ass out of u and me. "

Just going through life.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #87 on: 07 Aug 2018, 21:56 »

Bubbles is showing Leadership Qualities again. I wonder what her rank was.

While I'd like to think attitudes are progressive enough for Bubbles to be an officer all things considered she might've been at most a sergeant. 

cybersmurf

« Reply #88 on: 07 Aug 2018, 21:58 »

Now personally if I were Jim, I'd look at Sam with her aching bandaged finger and ask "And what did we learn today?" If her answer was something along the lines of "Don't stick your finger in a power tool's moving parts." then I'd let her go back to the shop. Otherwise, I'd forbid it on the grounds of her being too likely to Darwin herself into an early grave.

I can see Jim both be maf or just go with "well, it's your own fault, deal with it".

The fact remains that Faye ended up giving Sam barely even the bare minimum of protection. At the very least, Sam should have been wearing work gloves. 

Question is, whether that would have mattered. It was a deliberate choice of Sam to try grinding down her finger nail with a dremel, not a negligent accident. Maybe she wouldn't have had the idea while unable to see her nail, maybe she would.

The way I see it, Bubbles is dressing the wound quite professionally, which means Jim would suspect the injury to come from UR anyway. Also, I think Faye would crack sooner or later ajd tell him the truth.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #89 on: 07 Aug 2018, 22:39 »

Jim's business involves industrial mixers that can break an arm - a boobooed fingernail isn't going to look all that impressive to him.

Dremels don't do things suddenly.  I, personally, kept my eye on the tool - specifically the bit that was doing the work.  I wasn't paying attention to the knurled chuck that held the bit as it abraded away a square quarter inch of the hide off my knuckle.  Ow. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #90 on: 07 Aug 2018, 23:20 »

Jim's business involves industrial mixers that can break an arm - a boobooed fingernail isn't going to look all that impressive to him.

It's different when it's your kid.  My wife was training to be a PA and had done an ER tour, seeing the working end of several bloody messes.  When our 3 year old daughter bonked her head and it was bleeding, I held her for a bit to calm her before bandaging it up.  My wife came home and saw the blood on the shoulder of my shirt after I'd told her about it, and she nearly puked. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #91 on: 07 Aug 2018, 23:29 »

The thing that strikes me most strongly in response to today's strip is Sam's reaction to the idea of Jim banning her from seeing Faye. It occurs to me that we've never seen Sam with friends of her own age, only with adults (although, in Faye's case, an adult who can act Sam's age if she wants to). I'm beginning to wonder if Faye is Sam's only close friend and that is the only reason she keeps turning up. That's something that I think Jim needs to start thinking about because, combined with her preference for 'independent learning' it might indicate that she is having pretty serious problems at school.

Meanwhile, Faye's lack of reaction to 'I thought it would be funny to trim my nails' with a power tool, suggests that this is a mad thought that passed through her mind on occasion. She can't be mad at Sam about an impulse that she's had to physically fight off on occasion! :-P

Here's a thought: Maybe Veronica will be more focussed on responding to this incident. Jim has had Sam come home with bumps, scrapes and cuts (I bet she's had more Tetanus shots than most at this point) so many times that he's developed a sort of immunity to the experience. Veronica will probably be less inured to the experience!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #92 on: 08 Aug 2018, 00:41 »

Losing a fingernail in a workshop is pretty much part of the basic training program, I would say.

Weather it is by hitting yourself with a hammer, or trying something like trimming your nails on a grinder does not matter much. Some things you learn from what other tell you, and some things you just need to experience. Fingernails grow back, split fingertips heal, splinters can be dug out. Just don't lose an eye!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #93 on: 08 Aug 2018, 00:55 »

Sam gets frigging sword fighting classes. You might expect her to be aware of the dangers of ... tools, not even powered ones.

But still, technically, she has all her fingers. Nobody said anything about missing fingernails. And think about the crap her classmates will give her for losing a fingernail to a power tool. Yes, kids are that cruel.

Depends how it's spun.

"YEah, I totally took my nail off with a POWER TOOL! Naaahhh - didn't hurt at all! Look, didn't even need any stitches - THAT'S how bad-ass *I* am!"

...etc.
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Vurogj

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #94 on: 08 Aug 2018, 01:11 »

Something else to bear in mind before people start raining lawyers on Faye and Bubbles. Dora's name is also on the lease. I don't know enough about US law to know if she'd be liable for something that happened on a business premises she's a guarantor for, but I don't see Jeph going anywhere near that far.

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #95 on: 08 Aug 2018, 02:21 »

Faye was incredibly stupid and needs to be called on it, but surely some blame has to go to Jim here. Whatever the legal situation, morally you don't get to just let your teenage daughter run around imposing herself on other people. Has he ever even visited the shop?

BlueFatima

« Reply #96 on: 08 Aug 2018, 06:04 »

It's different when it's your kid.  My wife was training to be a PA and had done an ER tour, seeing the working end of several bloody messes.  When our 3 year old daughter bonked her head and it was bleeding, I held her for a bit to calm her before bandaging it up.  My wife came home and saw the blood on the shoulder of my shirt after I'd told her about it, and she nearly puked.

I assume your daughter is your first? I promise you that by the time she's Sam's age, most things upsetting, gross and horrifying will have desensitized you and your wife. If you have more kids or spend time around a number of her friends (which can happen more when you have an only), all the more so. I remember freaking out and taking my kid to the hospital a black eye at 2 (it was scary swelling up so fast). Now, when she injures herself like that, it's like "Again?" And it's a list of check the injury, ice, ibuprofen, etc... Meanwhile, I get a few more grey hairs.  :lol:

My kiddo's 9, and I can't imagine suing anyone over her losing a nail. I may not trust her to alone again with that person at her current age, but if she was a young teenager I may actually chalk it more up as a life lesson than blame the adult in charge. Kids cannot be bubble wrapped forever. I've nicked myself with Dremel before, and I managed to slice off the tip of my index finger through the nail twice with an Xacto knife. Those kinds are injuries happen all the time.

Sam, however, does have impulse issues a little greater than other kids her age. I do agree with everyone that Faye should never have left her alone. She should have asked Bubbles to watch Sam until she was done in the bathroom. Close supervision is a given with any beginners who use power tools (even sewing machines) for the first time. Sam also probably should have had gloves on (though I find them cumbersome for something as little as a Dremel).

TheEvilDog

« Reply #97 on: 08 Aug 2018, 06:42 »

Losing a fingernail in a workshop is pretty much part of the basic training program, I would say.

Weather it is by hitting yourself with a hammer, or trying something like trimming your nails on a grinder does not matter much. Some things you learn from what other tell you, and some things you just need to experience. Fingernails grow back, split fingertips heal, splinters can be dug out. Just don't lose an eye!

Yeah, but Sam still shouldn't be there. I don't know how old she is, but I can't imagine she's 15. She shouldn't have been left to operate a piece of equipment unsupervised.

rtmq0227

« Reply #98 on: 08 Aug 2018, 06:59 »

I'm frankly surprised how many people are freaking out that Faye took her eyes off of Sam for a second.  A) She's proven herself a capable worker when handling dangerous tools.  B) It is unreasonable to assume that an apprentice should be under 100% supervision at all times while working.  C) We now know that Sam made a conscious choice to do a dumb thing in a manner that Faye hasn't seen before (i.e. the willingness to knowingly put her body at risk, not just accidentally)

I think back to shop class, and working in my parents shop, and Appalachia Service Project (think Habitat for Humanity with church kids), etc. and how many times I was unsupervised with power tools.  I was also an accident-prone kid.  I once severed the tendon in my thumb with a Leatherman knife because I was trying to cut cable ties with it, a knife my grandfather had given me, and it slipped.  My parents never blamed anyone but me for the damage (and rightly so).  I had handled knives before, even did a report on knife safety, so it was a conscious level of stupidity, similar to Sam trying to trim her nails with a dremel.

Nails grow back, Jim may freak out a little and it'll cause drama, but it's not enough to shut a company down.  Maaaaybe small claims court for the medical costs of a box of band-aides, and a small consideration for emotional trauma, if he really wanted to be a hard-ass about it.  I can't even imagine a way (short of infection) for Sam to lose a finger with a grinding bit.  It would take a while to abrade your finger off.  Plus, Sam has clearly learned that she is, in fact, destructible.  I'd say that a grounding from the shop for a while (I like the extension due to considering lying to her dad) coming from both sides (Faye and Jim) should do enough for the lesson to sink in.
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #99 on: 08 Aug 2018, 07:37 »

It occurs to me to wonder why Faye didn't ask Bubbles to keep an eye on Sam while she took her bathroom break. Bubbles can't have been too far away. (Granted, she may have been otherwise occupied.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up