original  [SLOG! SLOG! SLOG! SLOG!]
2nd [new classes, races, lore and legal issues]
3rd [Abort/Retry?]
3.5 [proper patch]
Pathfinder
4e [totally not tabletop WoW]
5e [streamlined]/[I want my immunities and floating modifiers back!]

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: D&D Pathfinder  (Read 23325 times)

hedgie

• Older than Moses
  • Can't be buggered at all
Re: D&D Pathfinder
« Reply #200 on: 19 Jul 2020, 10:13 »

Essentially, it's a cleaned-up 3.5ed system.  It's more complicated than 5e, but it does have so many options available for players that I think it's worth it.
"Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule." -- Nietzsche

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Torlek

• The German Chancellory building
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #201 on: 19 Jul 2020, 13:23 »

I always say Pathfinder v1 is basically D&D 3.75 (from what I've heard, Pathfinder v2 is basically 5e). The hit dice for the squishier classes are bumped up a tier, some of the mechanics are cleaned up but it also feels like there's more options available and there's feats for EVERYTHING.
Quis pater tibi est?

hedgie

• Older than Moses
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #202 on: 19 Jul 2020, 13:42 »

Absolutely, and you get feats more rapidly than in 3.5e, and monsters are scaled up as well, so it tends to be a pretty high-power game.  A GM can use 3.x modules just fine, but they should adjust the difficulty of encounters to compensate for the higher power-level of PCs.  Overall, it's internally well-balanced, but there are some combinations that are just too obscenely powerful, and may require a GM errata/house rule.  (For example, the spell "Named Bullet" is vague enough that my witch using that in conjunction with the party gunslinger helped lead to an older dragon being dead before half the party could react.  It got nerfed right after).
"Madness is rare in individuals - but in groups, parties, nations, and ages it is the rule." -- Nietzsche

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Gyrre

• Only pretending to work
« Reply #203 on: 26 Jul 2020, 09:31 »

I stil haven't played Pathfinder myself, but I really ought to at some point.

Arkin, my arcana cleric, finally took the arcanist's advice to try to teleport home and rally some assistance in fighting off the end of the world. The 5th layer is quite cold and he was quite ill-prepared for it. We nearly lost one of the party members to some heat sapping starfish things. Arkin successfully teleported back to his hometown and got hit by level 5 exhaustion[1], but passed his con save to not start hallucinating wildly. Unfortunately, it wasn't high enough to not start bleeding internally[2]. The damage was enough to knock him below zero but not kill him outright. Thankfully, I rolled probably the most timely nat20 ever on my first deathsave. After being brought to a healer by an NPC name Susej Shumboddi[3], Arkin was reunited with his fiancee and decided 'screw it, I'm staying here'. He still relayed his story to the city's leaders and appropriate forces were mustered[4].
My replacement character being amongst them. I honestly forgot the whole 'you have to pick a different class' houserule when I started making Rasputin Bluefire. So, he's an oath of glory paladin wthat I originally designed as a death cleric. I still like the idea of a grey-skinned blue flamed fire genasi, so I stuck with it. Arkin handed off all of his artifacts to Rasputin since he opted to retire to teaching and finally got married.[5]

[1] Curse of the Abyss inflicts increasing levels of exhaustion when a creature not born of it ascends 20ft or more while in it.
[2] Apparently, that includes teleporting out of an abyss and jumping up that many layers so quickly prompted the internal bleeding save and damage roll. After the level 5 exhaustion hits and halves his HP, of course. TL;DR custom bullshit homebrew.
[3] A joke because the DM had some random, nameless NPC shout "Jesus! Somebody get him to a healer quick!" I couldn't help myself and asked if their was a townie named 'Jesus'. The DM said his name was 'Susej', and a player chimed in with 'Susej Shumboddi'.
[4] Probably his first truly selfish action, but also pretty understandable all said and told regarding what he's been through. The guy is just tired at this point and needs to take care of himself for a change. Plus it took just over two weeks to fully recover from his ordeal.
[5] A cloak of teleportation, a gravity cannon, and the plot crucial conversation cube.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up