THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 23:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What type of caster do you like playing?

One of those funky not-quite-half-casters
Don't you mean "smite slots"?
full caster
ALL THE CASTING (class & racial features)
half caster
just limited to racial abilities or class features
non-caster
I'm undecided

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: D&D Pathfinder  (Read 87057 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
D&D Pathfinder
« on: 10 Aug 2018, 11:09 »

From some of the polls over the past year, I know I'm not the only one who plays.

I couldn't find a general thread for either that wasn't dead. So, tell stories, talk about your character(s), talk about homebrewed stuff, ask questions, call my a bellend for liking 5E. Have fun. Follow the standard forum rules.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

Re: D&D Pathfinder
« Reply #1 on: 10 Aug 2018, 11:26 »

In regards to the poll commentary; those were jokes. I get that 5e is a bit of a different beast to its predecessors and why that would be off-putting to long time players. The outright immunities for some creatures makes sense and it sucks that those got nerfed. I'm playing a sentient clockwork who only gets resistance to poison in 5e.
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2 on: 10 Aug 2018, 14:14 »

Lemme see.  In the Pathfinder game I'm in right now (we play again tomorrow), I'm playing a female elf witch who is lately the group's healer and sole caster (our cleric is taking an indefinite hiatus from game.  And game has gone strange lately.  I'm trying to convince a reluctant assassin (who was trying to kill us until I knocked her out with a slumber hex) not to kill herself by putting her in charge of helping a bunch of women who were taken prisoner and tortured to turn them into amoral killing machines get to safety.  We'd do that ourselves, but we're preparing to fight some sort of rose bush looking demon (or similar nasty) who is responsible for all of this, and is also holding another character's (the gunslinger) father who for some reason seems to have a form of immortality.

This is a bit of a strange group, considering how many characters are twisted versions of Disney characters.  We have an evil Tiana, a somewhat noble Gaston, Mulan, and I guess that my character is what would happen if Rapunzel became a witch herself (it's all about the magic hair).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

« Reply #3 on: 10 Aug 2018, 15:02 »

I'm just started playing a 5e game with what was meant to be my backup character; a sentient clockwork clown bard with a calliope built into his torso. We based his stats on a composite mode envoy Warforged. I had intended to start with my mongrelfolk rogue (dragonborn, aaracokra, tiefling, tabaxi), but I guess the DM got mixed up when we were talking up about both of them? Since the rest of the party started out ghoulified (special ghouls) outside of some desert town, I didn't say anything.

Cecil (bard) is from the bard college valor. Tupi Loq (rogue) is a swashbuckler. Both have fairly decent stats, and Cecil's 18 charisma is currently an indicator of how terrifying he looks after  8 years of his paint job being neglected. Cecil has the tragic backstory, Tupi is a privateer (pirate).

Currently, the party has 3 goals; get unghoulfied, stop the local crime syndicate from kidnapping and ghoulifying people (hence the party's predicament), and get our hands on some of the sweet magic items currently being excavated.
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2018, 15:08 »

That does sound like a pretty cool campaign.

So last night, we got the demon and its minions, and although a couple of people got damned close to being corpsefied, and rescued the prisoners.  I suspect that since the last couple of sessions were combat-focused, the next few will be heavy on the RP and not really have much smashy smashy.  We're also likely to be adding another player, someone who I know from Ingress who came over to watch (and thankfully provided me a partial ride over).  Don't know what she's going to play yet, but an easy in for her character would to have her be one of the prisoners that we saved.  Hopefully, she'll follow her initial inclination and roll a caster with some healing ability.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2018, 19:25 »

Bards can be pretty good for that.

Granted, Cecil is now dead. But, we still have a druid and a cleric.

Our eldritch knight was looking around for more secret passageways, found a pressure plate, and failed investigation to determine if it was a trap or not despite his 18 int. He then proceeded to trigger it. As soon as the DM asked if he still wanted to trigger it, I was rapidly repeating "trap". He triggered it anyways and Cecil crit failed his dex save. 57 from the blast, another 50 damage from the crypt collapsing on top of him.

His final words were "Oh dear."

The rest of the party fled the town as the townsfolk stated that the syndicate would be pissed at the for destroying their stuff. The syndicate had been experimenting with enhancing ghouls in the crypts, BTW. As they were crossing the desert to hide out at the oasis, they met Loq, another ghoulified survivor.
a real-ass gaddam sword

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2018, 21:39 »

The original 3 books, plus Greyhawk and the various Strategic Reviews ( for Ropers etc)

PDFs at https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/Original%20D%26D/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons%20-%20White%20Box.pdf
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/Original%20D%26D/Supplement%201%20-%20Greyhawk.pdf

I'm told there have been new "improved" versions since, basic, advanced, expert etc.

« Last Edit: 12 Aug 2018, 22:04 by ZoeB »
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #7 on: 13 Aug 2018, 00:07 »

RIP Cecil (great last words, BTW).  I'm not sure what she's inclined to,  In terms of meta-game, Bard, Arcanist or Sorcerer would be best, assuming our cleric rejoins us soon. 

Gyrre

« Reply #8 on: 13 Aug 2018, 09:07 »

RIP Cecil (great last words, BTW).  I'm not sure what she's inclined to,  In terms of meta-game, Bard, Arcanist or Sorcerer would be best, assuming our cleric rejoins us soon.
I'm not familiar with Pathfinder's feats, but 5E has one called 'Tough' that boosts max HP by twice your level and lets you add an additional 2 HP to your roll when leveling. It's good for any player that has a tendency to get up close and personal with enemies. I took it for my rogue and nearly doubled his hitpoints when leveling. (27 -> 51). If Pathfinder has that and she goes bard or sorcerer,  I'd recommend it.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2018, 10:33 »

The original 3 books, plus Greyhawk and the various Strategic Reviews ( for Ropers etc)

PDFs at https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/Original%20D%26D/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons%20-%20White%20Box.pdf
https://rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons%20%26%20Dragons/Original%20D%26D/Supplement%201%20-%20Greyhawk.pdf
I used to have those. But where are Blackmoor and Eldritch Wizardry?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gyrre

« Reply #10 on: 15 Aug 2018, 02:01 »

So, anyone have advice for multi-classing? I'm basically trying to build Link from Legend of Zelda.

I already know it'd be some combination of fighter and ranger, starting at level 6. (Yes, charisma is my dump stat.)
a real-ass gaddam sword

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #11 on: 15 Aug 2018, 22:23 »

Multiclassing for 5e? Well the first is, do you need to do it for your concept? Or is it something you can do with a single class and some feats? Are you willing to pass up the capstone powers for the classes you picked? Multiclassing in 5e tends to front load a bit more power or options in the earlier levels, but you really tend to lose out as you reach the high levels. Especially if you are a multiclassing magic caster.

If you do decide to multiclass consider the typically 4 level break points where you get feats. Since they happen when a class hits certain levels, not when your total of all classes hits a certain level. So if you went 3 levels in ranger and three in wizard for instance, no feats until you take that 4th level in one of the classes.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #13 on: 19 Aug 2018, 02:16 »

Yarr, matey.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #14 on: 19 Aug 2018, 10:15 »

Sometimes it's just a matter of convenience.  I was looking at all the ones they had for AD&D first ed, and had to grab them even though the books are sitting on one of my shelves.  Doing an automatic OCR and making them searchable is far easier than looking bits up the hard way[1].

[1]Especially with the first ed DMG.  There's a ton of stuff in there, but it isn't always organised well.

Gyrre

« Reply #15 on: 20 Aug 2018, 21:03 »

Multiclassing for 5e? Well the first is, do you need to do it for your concept? Or is it something you can do with a single class and some feats? Are you willing to pass up the capstone powers for the classes you picked? Multiclassing in 5e tends to front load a bit more power or options in the earlier levels, but you really tend to lose out as you reach the high levels. Especially if you are a multiclassing magic caster.

If you do decide to multiclass consider the typically 4 level break points where you get feats. Since they happen when a class hits certain levels, not when your total of all classes hits a certain level. So if you went 3 levels in ranger and three in wizard for instance, no feats until you take that 4th level in one of the classes.

I assume by "feats" you mean the class specific feats like the rogue's Uncanny Dodge and the bard's Song of Rests, right? I couldn't find anything restricting the standard feats list. And e erything I've seen agrees that taking standard feats at those level benchmarks is level cumulative. I'm not sure how early you can start multiclassing, though. But going by the examples given and the prerequisite scores for each class, I think the earliest you can multiclass is level 4. You'd still get the ability score increase or take a feat from the feat list along with the first level in whatever class.

So, going by that, would it make more sense for Link to start as a Fighter or a Ranger? And, would he focus on one, level up both equally, or keep some fractional split?

I've already planned out a rough outline. Half-Elf Fighter/Ranger multi-class, Outlander background, Sharpshooter feat, Mage-slayer feat, and Charisma as his dump stat.

EDIT: fixing typos and better organizing thoughts.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2018, 23:47 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #16 on: 20 Aug 2018, 23:55 »

Currently building a bardic spy for a high level flashback in my Saturday game (it's twice our current level). He's level 13 Ghostwise Lightfoot Halfling College of Whispers bard. His name is Jonah High-Hill and he's a scout for an as-to-yet-unknown kingdom's army. For the two additional spells from any spell list I got to pick for the Magical Secrets class feature at lvl 10, I took Fireball and Spiderclimb.

The 7th lvl spell was a hard choice between Etherealness, Arcane Projection, and Symbol. So, I rolled and got Symbol.

BTW, the Words of Terror class feat will work via his telepathic speaking according to the DM's ruling. So that'll be fun for messing with guards. Ditto for his 20 Dex and 18 Char.

EDIT:
Got some "strong suggestions" from the DM hinting at what might be happening. So I switched him from Ghostwise to Lightfoot. I'm going to need that natural stealthiness. Also, fixing typos and gave him a name.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2018, 03:35 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2018, 00:54 »

I assume by "feats" you mean the class specific feats like the rogue's Uncanny Dodge and the bard's Song of Rests, right? I couldn't find anything restricting the standard feats list. And e erything I've seen agrees that taking standard feats at those level benchmarks is level cumulative. I'm not sure how early you can start multiclassing, though. But going by the examples given and the prerequisite scores for each class, I think the earliest you can multiclass is level 4.

You can multiclass as early as you want, provided you meet the ability minimums and your DM allows it. There's a build that allows you to multiclass as early as level 2 (you have the stats at level one, but only a single class).

ASIs require reaching (for example) Fighter4. If you multiclass to become Fighter3/Ranger1, you have not reached Fighter4 and cannot take an ASI. Given that you can only take a feat to replace an ASI, you also cannot take a feat.

The ASIs are a class feature, albeit one that is very common. The PHB says: "When your character gains a level, his or her class often grants additional features, as detailed in the class description. Some of these features allow you to increase your Ability Scores, either increasing two scores by 1 each or increasing one score by 2"

Jeremy Crawford, official Tweeter of Rules says: "Ability score improvements are based on your level in a particular class, not your total level if you multiclass."
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Gyrre

« Reply #18 on: 21 Aug 2018, 06:10 »

Good to know. D&D Beyond, Roll20, and the dnd5e wikia need to update their entries to specify that.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #19 on: 21 Aug 2018, 10:28 »

It already does say that. The text I quoted earlier is at Character Advancment > Beyond 1st Level for Roll20, Step-by-step Characters > Beyond 1st Level for D&D Beyond. I don't know which wikia site you mean, but I don't think there's any official one.
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2018, 10:33 by Pilchard123 »

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #20 on: 21 Aug 2018, 10:34 »

I have a Rogue 4 (Arcane Trickster) / Sorcerer 1 in 5e. The last system I played in was 2e, so the changes are pretty dramatic. Valenti is a fun character to play. He's a half-elven street kid who survived by selling his body, a little petty theft, and grifts. He ran into some hardened criminals while in the middle of a con at the Wizard's School, and ended up in all kinds of crazy situations. He learned to cast some wizard spells almost by accident (in the storyline, anyway) and has built on that when a trickster god called Ha'a'a (homebrew) decided to grant him sorcerous magic.

My favourite game mechanic as a player is the enhanced mage hand Val gets as an Arcane Trickster, combined with Minor Illusion. He also got access to Find Familiar (which works quite differently from 2e). The combination is quite powerful. For example, he was planning to rob a jeweler by having his rat familiar pop into the shop (materialize within 30') while Val was in a pub nearby. Seeing through Rattata's eyes, he would use the enhanced Mage Hand to collect gems into a pouch. Rattata would then proceed out of the shop via a chimney or hole in the wall, bringing the gems with him.

I didn't get to play that one out, unfortunately, having been caught up in the aforementioned chaos brought on by falling in with some nasty fellows.

I'm curious about other fun-to-play concepts and combinations you folks have played or thought about. I looked at Gnomish Urban Ranger built on an Rogue Assassin foundation. A tiny little guy who sees the city as his natural ecosystem to cultivate and protect by killing off - I mean pruning elements of the garden that get out of balance. Now that I say it, I really want to play that combo. I think I'd aim to progress with Rogue 1, Ranger 1, Rogue 2-4, Ranger 2-5, Rogue 5.

Shoot. Now I have to go write up that character. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #21 on: 21 Aug 2018, 11:28 »

By feats I meant the optional rule in the 5e PHB. Class abilities are just that, abilities. Feats are available for everyone so long as the game is using that optional rule, and it's pretty common to do so. They replace the ability score increases you normally get every 4 levels in a class. Some of them give weaker versions of existing class abilities, such as the ability to cast two cantrips and a single first level spell from a magic list, or a weak version of the Fighter Battlemaster combat tricks. Depending on what you want, like say if you just wanted a familiar from the Find Familiar spell, you don't need to take a level of Wizard, just the Wizard Magic Initiate feat. Or if you wanted more skill, weapon or armor proficiency, there are feats for those. Feats don't entirely replace multiclassing and not all stabilizes can be picked up by feats. But depending on what you want, it may be an alternative.

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #22 on: 21 Aug 2018, 15:38 »

I'll keep that in mind. My D&D plans for the afternoon were overtaken by construction work in my garage so I haven't had a chance to work on my ideas for a narrative arc for the new character.

When we started the game I was quite new to 5e rules. I didn't even know what feats were, TBH. I understand them now, but they were not at all a part of my thinking when I rolled Valenti up.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Gyrre

« Reply #23 on: 21 Aug 2018, 20:42 »

It already does say that. The text I quoted earlier is at Character Advancment > Beyond 1st Level for Roll20, Step-by-step Characters > Beyond 1st Level for D&D Beyond. I don't know which wikia site you mean, but I don't think there's any official one.
I meant that they need to state it specifically in the multiclassing section to avoid potential confusion and arguing.

No, the FANDOM wikia isn't official.

EDIT: Additionally, my apologies for any confusion caused by my own lack of specificity.
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2018, 02:56 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #24 on: 22 Aug 2018, 01:10 »

As much as I hate to be the stop-having-fun guy (rule of cool, &c), but on thinking about it, I think that remote robbing would only work if everything you wanted to steal was within 30' of you as well. Familiars can only deliver touch spells, and Mage Hand is not a touch spell. Rattata would still be useful to see where the hand is, but not to extend the range of the spell.

Gyrre

« Reply #25 on: 23 Aug 2018, 03:49 »

You can multiclass as early as you want, provided you meet the ability minimums and your DM allows it. There's a build that allows you to multiclass as early as level 2 (you have the stats at level one, but only a single class).

I finally got a chance to get a proper look through the fighter and ranger classes (and actual sleep to boot).

Looks like the mix would support just about any LoZ play style. And based on that would then inform whether one wanted to start as a Ranger or a Fighter and which archetypes you wanted from each. Honestly, look at the spells and class features, then compare them to favorite LoZ items.

For me, personally, I think I'd either ⁱgo 4 levels in one before picking up the other and splitting them 3/4 R & 1/4 F, or one level of Ranger and the rest Fighter. It really just depends on what sort of campaign it is. For Fighter, I think I'd go Champion or Cavalier. For Ranger, probably Hunter.

Does anybody know if the Slayer class from Pathfinder has a homebrew for 5E? I hear it's perfect for playing as Link.

ⁱ Either way, I'm starting another class at 5th level.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #26 on: 23 Aug 2018, 13:47 »

Do you mean this Slayer?

It sounds a bit like you might want some Rogue in there as well, given that Slayer seems to be a Ranger/Rogue hybrid in Pathfinder, although it looks like a lot of the talents could be roughly replaced by a Battlemaster Fighter's maneuvers.

Gyrre

« Reply #27 on: 23 Aug 2018, 20:25 »

Do you mean this Slayer?

It sounds a bit like you might want some Rogue in there as well, given that Slayer seems to be a Ranger/Rogue hybrid in Pathfinder, although it looks like a lot of the talents could be roughly replaced by a Battlemaster Fighter's maneuvers.
Yep.

Good to know. Especially if I opt for 1 level of Ranger and go the rest Fighter. At lvl 10, Champions get to pick another style.
a real-ass gaddam sword

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 24 Aug 2018, 09:30 »

As much as I hate to be the stop-having-fun guy (rule of cool, &c), but on thinking about it, I think that remote robbing would only work if everything you wanted to steal was within 30' of you as well. Familiars can only deliver touch spells, and Mage Hand is not a touch spell. Rattata would still be useful to see where the hand is, but not to extend the range of the spell.

Agreed. The original plan was to be in the cafe next door to the jeweler, back to the shared wall, with a friend keeping an eye on Val while he's zoned out inhabiting Rattata. I picked a rat for the job in case there were small items it could pick up and drag within range. For eyes only I use a spider. No one notices them on the ceiling of the council chamber (for instance).

Gyrre

« Reply #29 on: 27 Aug 2018, 10:38 »

My Sunday party leveled up twice in yesterday's session. We were ~400 xp from lvl 6 when we started the fight, and we killed enough of those damned psychic mice to reach lvl 7  by the end of it.

Since our artificer found his legendary item for the campaign (a flying forge) I suggested that we build a ship around it, by a bunch of bombs, go back to the canyon, and decimate what remains of those horrible little bastards. They were the mice that are resistant to all magical attacks and have the ability to make creatures laugh to death.
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #30 on: 27 Aug 2018, 11:55 »

Our session Saturday night was mostly finishing up after the last adventure, and doing things such as identifying items, taking rescued prisoners to safety, and then preparing for the next part of the plot.  Unfortunately, that means dealing with some high-level orcs, and of the two characters who speak that language, one used Charisma as a dump stat, and my character who is a) an elf, and b) shares in her people's racism.  I don't expect that our interactions with them will go well.

Oh, also, we successfully introduced our new character, a priestess of Shelyn who will apparently be splitting between tanking and healing.  I think that the new player works well with our group (that's a bit of an understatement), and I'll be glad that there will be someone else in full plate between me and the scary things.  I'm still kicking myself for burning the components for a Limited Wish when there were clerics right there who could cure the suicidal ex-assassin.

Gyrre

« Reply #31 on: 27 Aug 2018, 21:25 »

Our session Saturday night was mostly finishing up after the last adventure, and doing things such as identifying items, taking rescued prisoners to safety, and then preparing for the next part of the plot.  Unfortunately, that means dealing with some high-level orcs, and of the two characters who speak that language, one used Charisma as a dump stat, and my character who is a) an elf, and b) shares in her people's racism.  I don't expect that our interactions with them will go well.

Oh, also, we successfully introduced our new character, a priestess of Shelyn who will apparently be splitting between tanking and healing.  I think that the new player works well with our group (that's a bit of an understatement), and I'll be glad that there will be someone else in full plate between me and the scary things.  I'm still kicking myself for burning the components for a Limited Wish when there were clerics right there who could cure the suicidal ex-assassin.

Best of luck to you! Maybe your new party member just so happens to speak orcish? Either that or perhaps the charisma dump stat character will speak orcish like an orc and  e respected for it. Break leg.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #32 on: 27 Aug 2018, 21:28 »

How many CR levels would a monster need to be above an adult red dragon to successfully prey upon them?

It's basically a draconic whale (including stubby legs) that lives in the desert swimming through the sand. I call it a drake eater. Ancient drake eaters have a bead the size of a roc's wing.

EDIT: I'm low-balling the ancient drake eaters at CR 28 (5E) and CR 27 (Pathfinder).
« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2018, 23:36 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #33 on: 27 Aug 2018, 22:01 »

Best of luck to you! Maybe your new party member just so happens to speak orcish? Either that or perhaps the charisma dump stat character will speak orcish like an orc and  e respected for it. Break leg.

The new cleric might be a good choice, and I was reminded some time after posting that the necromancer has the Tongues spell, and she has a high charisma, and is probably our best chance.  I'd probably save the rogue as the last choice, since I doubt that even speaking like an orc, rather than "Oxford Orcish" would cover the 12-14 point difference in social rolls.

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #34 on: 30 Aug 2018, 20:29 »

Last weekend I went to a little Toronto event called OSRCon - Old School RPG Con. There were six games total - three in the morning, three in the afternoon.

In the morning I was in a very fun party using The Fantasy Trip (TFT) system. My character was basically Hawkeye. When his bow string snapped in the first combat it became very clear just how useless he was for anything else. In the second combat - where we had time to plan - I took out as many enemies as the rest of the party combined. I would totally play that ancient system again.

The afternoon session was in a system called Dungeon Crawl Classics (DCC). The adventure was Escape From The Purple Planet. Shades of Paranoia in that game system! It was a rollicking adventure. You start off with 4 zero level characters each - and see who survives long enough to make L1. At the end of the adventure I had one character dead, one maimed (lost leg), one transported to Barsoom and living his Best Life, and one still not dead. :) It was a blast. Also would totally play again.

What ancient systems have you folk enjoyed?

Gyrre

« Reply #35 on: 31 Aug 2018, 06:11 »

Rough creature concept; draconic whale species that's the appex  predator in a sea of sand setting.

Ancient Drake Eater
Length: 320ft
AC: 18
HP: 1022
Speed: 156 (walking)
Str: 51 Dex: 8 Con: 42
Int: 23 Wis: 21 Char: 43

CR 40

One of it's attacks is basically a Kirby inhale. They can also shoot two simultaneous 150ft long gusts of wind (one from each nostrill).

EDIT: I got the CR set.
Other attacks include stepping on someone/something. Dex save for every creature in a 50ft radius. Everything in the central 25ft radius has to pass a DC 20 to not be crushed underfoot. Everything else gets knocked prone and takes thunder damage if they fail.
« Last Edit: 16 Sep 2018, 16:51 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #36 on: 31 Aug 2018, 20:40 »

In the morning I was in a very fun party using The Fantasy Trip (TFT) system. My character was basically Hawkeye. When his bow string snapped in the first combat it became very clear just how useless he was for anything else. In the second combat - where we had time to plan - I took out as many enemies as the rest of the party combined. I would totally play that ancient system again

What ancient systems have you folk enjoyed?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/the-fantasy-trip-old-school-roleplaying?ref=user_menu

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #37 on: 31 Aug 2018, 20:48 »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/the-fantasy-trip-old-school-roleplaying?ref=user_menu

There was a bit of discussion at the table. I missed the funding round in part because I'd never heard of the system. I wound happily run a game using the core concepts now that I know what it's about.

Gyrre

« Reply #38 on: 01 Sep 2018, 21:38 »

Holy crap!

We fought and won against a purple worm and only our monk got eaten and died! We even managed to get him out in time for the cleric (who also went down) to cast revivify on him! To be fair, the monk did do 32 damage to it in his first turn before getting eaten. He's currently bandaged up due the fact that he's missing his scales and some chunks of flesh.

A party of 6 level 7 characters took it down in 4 rounds. Thankfully my sorcerer has Quicken spell, so I burned 3 sorcery points on that between magic missile (at level 2 & 3) and shatter.

Our power gamer paladin-sorcerer managed to harvest the purple worm's stinger, the arcanist got 3 water skins of its poison, and my 10 Str sorcerer nat20'd on yanking off 6 purple worm scales. Me and the warforged used said stack of scales as a gurney so the monk wouldn't risk opening any of his scabs on the trek back to the surface.

I've also got a bag stuffed with 800gp worth of Roper bits, and we encountered a Drow who asked for us to return The Eye of Bessinger back. Which the half the group didn't know about and the other half wouldn't give up. So, we've got a Drow fight coming up soon.
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #39 on: 02 Sep 2018, 11:35 »

Good kill, and luckily light on the casualties.  (looks at pathfinder purple worms)…  Damn, I'm impressed.  That is a pretty serious nasty to be able to down that fast, especially at that level.   Even better, you got expensive/useful stuff from the carcass. 

Avoiding the dreaded double post:
I'm having a slight frustration w/ the game I'm in right now, and much of that stems from the fact that the campaign is run from "The Curse of the Crimson Throne", and that is that we have faced off against precisely ONE arcane caster since I joined.  This basically means that I'm highly lacking in caster gear (as well as spells I can learn) that I haven't purchased myself.  The GM has mitigated this somewhat with adding his own encounters and quests, but much of that is just because we as a group were lacking in lewtz due to our "creative" approaches to problems (on the ride home, he has told me of all the stuff we missed out on due to our approach, which means creating a new quest just to keep us somewhere near par for our level). 

Gyrre

« Reply #40 on: 04 Sep 2018, 00:03 »

Oh boy. Well, just as long as the approach isn't come into town and have the druid, warlock, and cleric/archanist (usually one or the other) cause chaos. And I do mean chaos.

To be fair, the oasis town yesterday had already been infested with mimics  that could disguise themselves as people (at least one could talk). So that catastrophe wasn't our fault. But, the next city we went today... Sheesh. (Bonus round since we were all off.)

We split the party. The arcanist and my swashbuckler rogue stayed outside of town and worked on improving the hover ship we had converted his flying forge into.
The cleric and the eldritch knight went looking for a church to see if they could find answets for how to unghoulify the party, the warlock first went gambling, then went sewer spulunking after losing a few rounds of Blackjack. And the druid went chasing rats through the sewer to try to get another pet. A 3-way split.

The cleric and eldritch knight ended up in at a temple for an alien worshipping cult (yes, there was kool-aide). Of course, the druid and the warlock just so happen to meet the hydra who was serving as the city's septic system. And, yes, they start fighting it once the druid fails to charm it.

The archanist and I fail our perception checks to hear the sewer fight, so we keep working. The cleric and eldritch knight hear the commotion and head on down to join the fray. Half-way through the fight, we successfully made a better skiff/dinghy(?) and failed our perception checks on the sounds of battle. So, the archanist wanders off to the city to find some way to make some extra cash while I stay behind to double check stuff on our vehicle.

This already going to be a long post, so I'll just link the next part from my tumblr here.

The archanist took multiple crossbow volleys from 15 city guardsmen and tanked a critical hit from the level 20 rogue with the rogue's legendary artifact while pulling the other four party members out of the sewer and getting them on our hoverboat (I was hiding between the crates). BTW, the other rogue works for the syndicate and I'll have to face him if I want those rocket boots.

After we got out of the city and managed to shove the lvl20 rogue out of our hovership --speeding along at 600mph-- we busted open the third crate and found two kids inside. Yep, we accidentally foiled some human trafficking. Thankfully, we all passed our Con saves and the kids are still uneaten. After finding out where the kids were from, we opted to head for the port city they were taken from and try to find their families.

Along the way, we encountered two purple worms, successfully killed them, half the party successfully crawled out of them, and the kids are still alive!

I'm going to have to record one of our sessions because it gets pretty absurd sometimes.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #41 on: 04 Sep 2018, 00:58 »

I'm going to have to record one of our sessions because it gets pretty absurd sometimes.

Please do!

Gyrre

« Reply #42 on: 04 Sep 2018, 02:29 »

After the session, our DM told us that "there'll probably start being One Piece style wanted posters of everybody," then pointing at me, "except you since you were hidden the entire time you were in the city."

Our party currently consists of:
Aleridon -- Avarial Elf fighter (eldritch knight)
Beryl -- Dward storm cleric
Lo-Kag -- Goliath warsmith artificer (complete with power armor)(currently has his class's legendary artifact)
Saravore -- Half-Elf hexblade warlock
Two-Tongues Tupi-Loq -- my mongrelfolk swashbuckler rogue
Yuri -- Variant Human circle of the shepherd druid

We were also informed that the wanted posters will either refer to us as the "Sewer Bandits" or "the Shit Squad". Both because of the four who blew up the sewer (everyone got to make Dex saves for falling rats and excrement) and because Lo-Kag stole those three crates.

BTW, I should also mention that Sunday we found out that the lvl 20 rogue had been tailing us for some time now, on assignment. Aleridon rolled high enough to notice him. And Monday we found out the name of the crime syndicate's leader, Craven. Because of this, Two-Tongues scrawled out a short note on a strip of leather he had (no paper or ink); "Craven, sorry about the mess in the city. These guys are blinking idiots. I had no part in this. -- Two-Tongues" and successfully threw the leather strip out of the ship into the desert EDIT without being noticed EDIT.

The DM told us that a small portal appeared and a hand reached out and retrieved the note.
« Last Edit: 04 Sep 2018, 17:33 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #43 on: 04 Sep 2018, 09:22 »

Please do!

I'm attacking the darkness!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #44 on: 04 Sep 2018, 14:12 »

Please do!

I'm attacking the darkness!

Concealed in the darkness is a gazebo.

(I 100% plan to have my party attacked by a gazebo at some point.)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #45 on: 04 Sep 2018, 16:13 »

Doable in a Ravenloft game (I don't know what was made for that setting beyond 3e though) without much work. One of the monsters is an "animator" which takes control of an object of a size determined by its strength.  If there's nothing official for 5e, I can always shoot you the stats (I have the book) and just let you do the conversion.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #46 on: 04 Sep 2018, 16:21 »

There is already a Ravenloft adventure in 5e, but I don't plan on using it. Nor send people to Ravenloft. It's my own setting, so I stay away from published adventures and just pick and choose what I like from published material.

I actually have a bone gazebo model from an after Halloween sale that's perfect size for 28mm miniatures. And since the land my party is in is full of all kinds of grim fairy tale style enemies, I just have to have them deal with a Vampire Count or something to have an excuse to use it.

Or maybe it'll be a Mimic-zebo... You never know.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #47 on: 04 Sep 2018, 16:30 »

I was just thinking monster stats rather than doing the adventures.  All one would really have to do to adapt it outside would be to ignore any fear/madness checks that the creature may cause.  edit: Or a really big mimic would work.

Gyrre

« Reply #48 on: 04 Sep 2018, 17:37 »

There is already a Ravenloft adventure in 5e, but I don't plan on using it. Nor send people to Ravenloft. It's my own setting, so I stay away from published adventures and just pick and choose what I like from published material.

I actually have a bone gazebo model from an after Halloween sale that's perfect size for 28mm miniatures. And since the land my party is in is full of all kinds of grim fairy tale style enemies, I just have to have them deal with a Vampire Count or something to have an excuse to use it.

Or maybe it'll be a Mimic-zebo... You never know.

There's a monster called a 'house hunter'. It's a larger relative of the mimic. Perhaps this one chose the form of a gazebo.
a real-ass gaddam sword

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #49 on: 05 Sep 2018, 07:48 »

I've gotten further in the setting that I'm developing, and have made some revisions as I've read more.  I know that it's fantasy and I'm not beholden to real world physics, but still want things to have some small basis in reality.  The main thing is that the world is tidally-locked, and all known civilisations[1] exist in the band of eternal twilight from a red dwarf star[2].  There would be a hot wind going from west to east in part of the northern hemisphere, and a cold wind going the other direction in the south.  Together, they keep temperatures from becoming as extreme as they could be, which helps since IIRC, on such a planet, winters would be longer. 

There would also be three moons.  One moon would basically serve as our moon does for creating a lunar calendar since a solar one would be out of the question.  A second slower moon would basically give a 48 hour night during an eclipse.  The third moon is larger and brighter, but probably too damned slow for real world physics[3] has been brightening up the dark side just enough for fantasy plants to grow and beings to survive.  Since I'll be using first-ed ageing stats, it's been not as bad as it could be on the dark side for it to be out of the living memory of a few generations of elves.  Problem is, this moon is setting on the dark side… 

Since I wouldn't have to actually develop the day/night sides, at least initially (and it'd take a long enough in game to actually to flesh something original out), I could always populate the light side with various Dark Sun critters that may occasionally foray and attack the known empires/kingdoms/republics.  Tribes made from a mixture of folks from the light side, and those (either by choice or imposed) are exiled from the twilight band will be a constant threat (gotta have barbarians at the gates).  The living things on the dark side would probably have elements from the Frostburn setting, and everything that goes bump in the night.  No GoT night king or anything like that, but life is going to get much harsher soon, and between two sides who have very little, the known world is going to get pinched.  I actually don't plan on making this an initial plot point, but something that would slowly develop over several campaigns.  If I'm going to have a point in this squeezed in from both sides thing, it's going to be a slow-dropping anvil that those in the middle are extremely privileged, and will have to learn to share resources with at least one of the outside groups if they don't want to be ground under by those who are actively hostile.

[1] Well, known to anyone but the deep dwarfs, like the ones in Discworld who basically wear leather and chainmail burqas and dark glasses if they ever deign to go above ground at all and are an NPC-only race.  Underground, the day/night stuff doesn't matter anyhow, and the dwarfs have had ćons to tunnel the world.

[2] Me being me, there would certainly be NPCs in the world based off of Lister, Rimmer, Kryten, Cat, and Holly… just because.

[3] MST3K mantra time here.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up